Missouri City, TX
First Colony Aquatic Center Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #10 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #10 Long Tee

Beautiful course but too punitive for the recreational player

1    5/7/2013   5/7/2013
Review By: Jefflogix
Pros: This is a beautiful course near a lake in a nice neighborhood. The tees are well marked with distances. The holes are generally quite challenging due to low ceiling tree cover, narrow fairways, with OB on both sides (sidewalk and lake).

Were it not for the stiff penalty of losing discs in the water, this would be a really fun course. I know I am probably going to get hammered for this review, but I HATE water courses. That said, holes #6, 7, 8, and 9 allow for big hyzer bombs (RHBH) over the water, and that is fun. My issue with the water is on holes #1 and 2, where RHBH fade can put you right in the lake. You don't have much room on the right because of the OB. These two holes have cost me 6 discs over 2 rounds.

The Lightning DB-5 baskets seem really large compared to other baskets, and they don't have inner chains.

The Island hole #4 is quite a fun challenge and a change of pace from the regular holes on the course.

Hole #10 is a great (RHBH) anhyzer tunnel shot through the trees, with a mando that takes the hyzer shot out of play.
Cons: As the previous reviewer stated, you WILL lose discs in the water, unless you are VERY accurate. When you inevitably do throw a disc in the lake, it is probably gone for good, the lake bottom is lined with downward sloping cement blocks covered with algae. Your disc is gone... let it go. For me this is too stiff a penalty because I am not that good that I can help myself from throwing in the lake. Several baskets are next to downward sloping terrain that serves to help an unlucky role find itself in the water and gone forever. Even though I like the hyzer bomb holes, I lost 3 more discs on those holes as well... so frustrating.

This course is in a neighborhood. In my opinion it is much more challenging than you would expect from a "neighborhood" course. In addition, you have a chance of hitting cars, pedestrians, cyclists, babies in strollers... you get the point ... with slightly errant throws.

I am really a recreational level player, but I also know of a few advanced amateur and pro players that don't like to come out to this course because of the punitive water hazards.
Other Thoughts: I applaud Neal and Eric for designing a challenging course with limited area between sidewalk and lake. If you can afford to lose a lot of discs in the water, this would be a great course for practicing accuracy. Unfortunately, I am too big of a risk taker for my playing ability, and so I am banning myself from this course until I improve my skill level substantially or until I win the lottery. This course is fun but costly if you don't have a high level of skill or a high level of self control. I played 2 rounds and lost 9 discs in the water. (in all fairness 5 of them were on practice shots, but that doesn't make it any easier to stomach).

Short yet tricky course

1    9/28/2012   9/28/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: >It is very easy to find and even with just the flags in the ground as of right now it is easy to follow the flow of the course.

>This course will keep you honest. Most of the shots off the tees have low hanging trees so you need to be able to keep your shots low to get them within birdie distance of the holes.

>A few of the holes have big risk/reward type shots where either you go for the long putt towards water or lay up for a par. A course with water in play as much as this one gets the heart racing and can be exciting.

>The course really was designed well on such a small piece of land.

>The "island" hole at #4 I think was very unique and challenging
Cons: >There are no super long holes and sometimes the holes can feel repetitive.

>If a disc goes in the water the only thing you can do is salute your lost friend and move on because the water is murky in every sense of the word and it is illegal to wade in the water.
Other Thoughts: The course is brand new so I did not take points away for not being designated signs and tee pads because I believe those should be installed within a few weeks and I will be back to try the course with those in.

The course does well on the small land that it is on. If you are nearby come play but it is not a destination stop.