Duluth, MN
Lincoln Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Charlie Deville Hole #7 (Taken 10/2014)

Beautiful Setting, But Flawed Course

1    7/18/2015   9/11/2015
Review By: tonyroberts
Pros: Lincoln Park DGC is a small course that's absolutely wedged into a beautiful setting. Lincoln Park is a block-wide sward of green nestled into Duluth's hills. Miller creek run through the park, adding to the beauty and creating a minor challenge for disc golfers.

The well maintained park with its tended grassy hillsides, gorgeous, trees and meandering creek is a lovely place to play.
Cons: Although I played my round on a hot afternoon with next to no one around, I felt closed in by the roads on each side of the small park and the walking trail that ran through it. I never felt I could throw a disc with abandon.

Holes 4 and 7 share the same fairway, but in opposite directions. As I got ready to tee off on 7, the player on 4 recognized that and stepped aside while I played through.

Hole 8 is located across the street from the park itself. It plays across a nondescript vacant lot that leaves you a long walk fro the 9th tee.

Hole 9 itself is a short, blind shot off a ridge to a basket situated between the creek and a steep wooded hillside. A simple hyzer shot for righties, perhaps, but as a lefty playing alone, I found the shot daunting as I didn't want to lose a disc to either the creek or the thick woods.
Other Thoughts: The tee boxes for many holes on this course are in the road, marked by painted lines. In the absence of traffic, this was fine, but on busy day in the park, this may be problematic.

If you're in the area, Lincoln Park is a nice place for a very casual round with a putter and a mid, but don't expect it to give your game a full workout.

If I lived in Duluth, this would be my home course

1    9/3/2015   9/3/2015
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: Even though this course is tailored for the recreational player, I found some of the holes pretty challenging because of the precarious positions the baskets we're located.

I really enjoyed #1 . It started about where the playground is located, but on the other side of the river. One has to walk down a stretch to get to the 1st tee, but the hole was pretty intense considering the rushing river going over the waterfall to the right of the basket (about 50 feet away, but still in play for some)

#2 played uphill with a small creek to the left and another larger one to the right, with the basket in between them.

#3 The basket was bolted into a large rock-face with the river to the right. Short, but pretty challenging.

There was another hole, I'm thinking it was # 7 was also near the river that was pretty fun to play.
Cons: IMHO # 9 could of been reshaped to get the player either back up the hill or closer to hole # 1. As it was it was a little dump RHBH Hyzer shot over some high growth bushes and trees with the river close by. To me I seemed to walk a little ways to much to get to the tee from # 8's basket (which is in the baseball field up the hill from the playground) and then finishing the last hole then to walk back up the hill I just walked down.

Teeing off in the street for most of the course was odd, but there wasn't to much traffic. so it might be irrelevant.

Not enough park being utilized. I drove up the hill to turn around when I realized I went to far. Perhaps they could lengthen a few holes or add more baskets in the area to the right of the road going further up the hill??

Not a lot of parking.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the city of Duluth, This would be my home course. as the other local courses we're either neglected (Miller Park, today when I played it the rough was brutal, knee high weeds in some places & muddy tee pads) or just not as challenging (Mn. Duluth University. IMHO).

Park looked pretty safe and was up kept, but the neighborhood looked kinda iffy

Awesome little freebie 9 holer

1    6/11/2015   6/11/2015
Review By: dethyr
Pros: Absolutely killer atmosphere, really loved the park itself even just for a nice walk, it was beautiful. The course is extremely well maintained which I assume is a city job so it really rocks for a free course. The shots while short were a challenge due to the river and trees etc. Really nice little course.
Cons: We couldn't find the 8th hole, we looked all over and had no luck but that's not a downside as much as maybe just not knowing the course. The river also ate my gf's teebird haha but that's more so user error.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this was a blast, very well marked out, well maintained and we will totally be hitting this one again. Just be careful around all the water hazards :D

Working Man's Course

5+    5/22/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Charlie Deville
Pros: Great course to play during your lunch break. Most of the tee boxes are drawn onto existing concrete trails so you have consistent footing.
Almost all the holes have several different angles of attack. Lots of great safari shots possible.
Cons: The tee box for #3 was destroyed in the flood, so there is a semi-permanent safari hole that uses the #7 basket. The course will be completed once the trail is repaired.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for park-goers and tweekers

2-4    10/3/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: discbrewer
Pros: This is a fun little short course that can be played in about 20-25 minutes, and the probability of losing a disc here is slim to none (There is a river that runs through the park and comes into play on some of the holes, but it's fairly shallow). The basket placements can make for some technical shots, but they are fun and remind me of an ace race course.
Cons: No Permanent tee pads yet, and some of the temporary tee pads have you throwing from a residental street surrounding the park. One of the baskets is shared for holes 3 and 7, so it can get a little congested at times, but i'd rather play the one basket for two holes, than play with one less hole on the course.
Other Thoughts: If you get bored with the current set up, it would be fairly easy to make your own safari course here. You can get away with bringing just a putter or midrange disc to the course, but be wary of the pedestrians strolling through the park.