Des Moines, IA
Southwoods Park Share
Uploaded By: yearofrolling Hole #1 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #1 Tee/Approach

No Thank You!

1    8/11/2016   8/13/2016
Pros: I think the Perfect Storm happened the afternoon I attempted to play Southwoods. The events were:
It was my sixth course of the day and I was exhausted.
It had been raining all day and all that thick rough was now soaking wet.
A summer lightning storm was all around me.
It was dinner time and I needed nutrition not aggravation.

In spite of these events, Southwoods is a lost disc waiting to happen. # 1 plays 471' down the fairly narrow power lines. A perfectly straight drive down the middle could easily land in three feet high grass never to be found or requiring a full scale grid search. A not so good drive sails into deep, ugly rough on either side.

The next two holes play up the same the power line hills and the deep grass is still a major inconvenience. Then # 4 was once a pretty cool, little technical throw in the woods. Now it's overgrown almost to the point of being unplayable.

Then # 6 is a ridiculous hole to have on a rec course like this. It's 543' from the longer tee. You have to hit a miniscule window which is directly above an ugly gorge, with nasty standing water. I would be OK with this hole in a Pro level tournament but on this course, it's just a complete waste of the player's time. Welcome to the bottom of the gorge, boys!
Cons: Way overgrown. Too much time searching for discs in the rough OR losing discs.

# 9 hole plays down a slight hill and then requires a walk back up to the parking lot. Poor design.

Missing signs. Navigation is shaky anyway. An on-line map would help.

Other Thoughts: This is one of those courses you play and think, I'm so glad I don't to come back and endure this agony/aggravation again. Apparently, some players enjoy this course. I doubt hey'll encounter many other players here too often.

Decent, but better courses around

1    7/4/2016   7/5/2016
Review By: FredHJ12
This review was updated on 7/11/2016
Pros: -Tee pads are in solid shape, and multiple tees for most holes
-Baskets caught well
-Nice elevation changes
-Nice variety of shots, can use many of the discs in your bag
-Some very nice distance shots for a 9 hole course
-Pretty quick round
-Tee signs are helpful and in reasonable shape
Cons: -Rough is very bad in some spots. Poison ivy and such. Might have to go looking for a disc a few times each round
-Not sure how much better the course can be maintained, but just sort of an awkward area to put a course at. Not exactly sure how to describe it, but just a bit too naturey for my taste
-Navigation is a bit tricky. Mostly flows logically but it might take a bit of wandering for a first-timer
-Pars are a bit forgiving
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of positive things that this course does that many others don't, including elevation changes, multiple tees, and a wide variety of shots. With that said, I feel that the negatives outweigh the positives in this case. The weeds and rough really hurt this course in my opinion, and that really took some of the fun away from me. I would recommend stopping if you are a course bagger, but otherwise you are better off going to a course like Ewing or Grandview which have more holes and are better overall.

Southwoods Park

1    6/4/2016   6/5/2016
Review By: seadog19
Pros: Challenging course.
Short play time if your looking to be there and back quickly.
Cons: Front 5 are not maintained at all.
Discs can be easily lost.
First hole fairway is not mowed at all and is a pain to find discs.
Not for beginners.
Other Thoughts: The back 4 holes were fun and more open but I was just not a fan of this course at all. I was playing with beginners and we spent most of the time looking in the very dense woods for discs.

Play if you must

1    10/13/2011   4/19/2012
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: Another course on my list, some good elevation use great elevation use. the par 4s were a lot of fun, multiple teepads on a couple holes.
Cons: Teepads inconsistent. Right next to the copshop.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course enough i thought the elevation was a sweet challenge