Jamestown, ND
Jamestown Reservoir DGC Share

Prepare Yourself

1    5/27/2014   6/28/2014
Review By: ACE Ventura
Pros: This 27 hole course is incredible!! It originates on the top an island in the middle of a huge reservoir with an amazing look out over the water. Enjoy the view from here because the rest of your time will be spent tackling this monster.

What's not to like? There are elevation changes on the majority of the holes, some more extreme than others. Trees and shubbery? Almost overwhelming. They are greatly utilized on basically every hole. Water hazards? Please. How many more could you ask for? Several holes play along and over the lake, be prepared to lose some plastic!!

The pads are cement and in excellent shape and most of the baskets are in good condition but some of very rusted, especially those along the water. The course is well maintained fairly easy to navigate but I HIGHLY recommend taking a picture of the map at Hole #1, you'll be referring to it a few times!

The design of this course can't be praised enough. I would rate it has extremely challenging and you WILL need every disc in your bag. Monster distance holes, anhyzer holes, hyzer holes, straight tight shots... etc etc etc.

I also recommend spending the time to scout the holes before you tee off on them. There are MANY blind shots so knowing where the basket is helps a ton!
Cons: The holes not located on the island and a few on the island could use a little mower love. Once you are off the island most holes are in the fields with 2'+ grass so keep a sharp eye on your plastic.

Can be tough to navigate, even though I had the map I ended up skipping a couple holes near the end without realizing I did it until I finished. Oops.

TICKS. Lots of them. Wear pants if you can stand to in the summer. I wore shorts and from basket #2 to teepad #3 I ended up with 10 ticks on my legs. Talk about messing with your head early on in the round. I never found a tick on me once I got off the island, but when I woke up the following morning I found one suckin away on my neck so I don't know where he snagged me at.

WIND. Easily one of the most challenging winds you'll ever play in. Welcome to North Dakota, where the wind never stops blowing. Bring a couple overstable discs, you will want them.
Other Thoughts: This course is a BLAST! If you can handle ticks and high winds, do NOT pass on playing this course.

Again, I stress a few things for newcomers:
- Take a picture of the map at Hole #1
- Wear pants/ tick spray
- Scout the holes
- Bring all your discs

I didn't give this course a full 5 star rating because it doesn't have much for amenities and needs a teensy bit more maintenance. I didn't down-grade it due to wind or ticks, those are just hazards you gotta deal with. Everything else about this course is GREAT! Play it if you ever get the chance!!

Epic

1    7/2/2013   7/5/2013
Review By: joelwpg
Pros: Easily the most epic course i have played yet!(i hate that word , but it applies here!) It has everything. Huge elevations changes, ridiculously long holes, forest and fields, hazards and rough. 27 holes of heaven for someone who likes a challenge. I will be back.
Cons: When i played i don't think the course was officially open yet. 6 holes were unplayable due to high water, and no maintenance had been done on the course except and path mowed showing the way through the holes that weren't on the Island.
Other Thoughts: I would give anything to play this course again in a little better condition!!

Extreme disc golf

7/11/2008   7/11/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: This course has it all..27 holes, huge hills, tons of water hazards, cement tees, signs. It's basically on an island, and the land around the island, surrounded by the water of a reservoir. It can be 100' above the water, with fantastic views in all directions. Well designed. Challenging for all skill levels, with holes up to and well over 800' requiring two smooth drives up and down hills. It's worth it just to sit and look out from the top. There is a map-study it.
Cons: The wind- the most I've ever played in, on a sunny day. It whips up the hills off the water at 75+mph, tossing your hat off your head and flipping your most overstable driver like it's nothing but a joke. There are insane amounts of ticks..I got a dozen on me on one hole, looking for a disc I lost while finding 2 others. The back part is not maintained as well, many holes with 2-3' high grass as a fairway. Could be tough to navigate a few times.
Other Thoughts: Needs to be mowed down better, suggest long pants for ticks in summer if you can. Pay attention to the course map at hole #1.
Prepare to be blown away.