Birdseye, IN
Patoka Lake State Rec. Area Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #5 (Taken 9/2012)

Hidden Gem! Reminds me of Cedar Sentinels.

5+    4/4/2015   4/5/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Tight technical fairways in a very nice state park with camping amenities galore. Tons of elevation. New concrete tee pads. Amazing scenery! Often, you can have the course to yourself!
Cons: Signage and a couple of baskets have fallen into disrepair. It's off the beaten path and there's a $5 entry into the park for Indiana residents, $7 for out of state residents.
Other Thoughts: While playing this course, I couldn't stop thinking about how similar it is to Cedar Sentinels. One of my favorites. The parking area is a ways down the road from hole 1. If you walk straight across the road, there's hole 15's basket. So, I try to start on hole 16.

Lefty's Revenge

1    7/12/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Signs and teepads were good. Park was nicely kept and fairways were mowed. Good blend of semi-wooded and fairly open holes. Flow from hole to hole was good, we didn't have any trouble navigating the course as first-timers.
Cons: The biggest gripe I have with this course is the number of doglegs it has. I think 9 doglegs in 18 holes is excessive and started feeling repetitive. 7 of the 9 are doglegs right, and some of these are HUGE fish hook type curves. If you are a RHBH thrower and can't reliably flick, then you are going to have some trouble. Several of these curves are just too big to anny around.

More benches would be a welcome improvement as well.
Other Thoughts: It seems like more thorns must grow in Indiana than anywhere else, because the thorniest roughs I've ever encountered (Patoka, Cavan, English) were all in that state. I'm not listing this as a "Con", because I don't think the fairways were unfairly narrow, and if you stay on the fairway then you don't have to worry about the rough! That being said, I would not recommend playing this course alone. With so many blind dogleg holes, you really need to employ a spotter to see where your throws go. You do not want to be stomping around in THIS rough any longer than is necessary!

We played a doubleheader of English and Patoka. They are completely different from each other and make for a good day of golf.