Paducah , KY
Midtown Golf Complex Share
Uploaded By: johnogorrell   (Taken 6/2012)
View looking out over course from hole #1, before baskets were placed

Fun and good practice

1    8/22/2013   8/22/2013
Review By: WillA
Pros: 1. Two sets of tees for each hole. Most of the short tees are ace runs.
2. A couple of the holes require an interesting shot shape.
3. The few trees and bushes on the course are used well.
4. It gives you a chance to practice drives and mid range shots.
Cons: 1. Three of the long tees should be par 4's according to PDGA guidelines for players rated under 1000.
2. The scrub can be pretty rough.
3. The tees are grass.
Other Thoughts: This isn't a great course. But I have a lot of fun playing it.

Good beginner and/or practice course

1    7/25/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: UKfan
Pros: This course has two sets of tees. The long tees are very long for most players. The short (red) tees are good approach and short drive tees. For many to most of the red tees only a mid is needed. I think this is an excellent course for beginners (red tees) or just to practice your longer throws in an open area for the most part. It is better than field practice. Overall, I think this course can be a fun time. My rating is low because of the tee pads and lack of variety.
The baskets are clearly new and are even a little stiff. (I had a putt in the center with a star plastic putter and it spit it out).
Cons: There are no tee pads of any kind. (Another review mentions concrete tee pads this is not correct). A grass area between two short posts mark the teeing area.
If you throw your disc in the scrub that is a real hazard. I was eat up with (I think it is called) Beggar-lice that stuck to my skin, shirt, shorts, etc. It ruined a pair of socks. Be careful going into the weeds. Also, my friend threw a disc into the soccer field and it took forever to find the entrance and retrieve it. (If the entrance is locked I don't think you can get it). The mando mentioned on the sign for the ninth hole (next to soccer field) is ambiguous and seems to require you to throw it in the direction of the soccer field which I think is a design flaw.
Other Thoughts: We played this course twice and we alternated between the red and blue tees so that we played all of the tees for 18 holes and it gave us more variety to the shots. Also, I think alternating red and blue gives some relief from constantly one long hole after another.
As a personal pet peeve, I know some do not agree with the idea, but I think several of the long holes should be par 4's. The average player (and particularly a beginner) cannot possibly have a chance at a 2 or likely even a 3 on those holes, I think PDGA guidelines would make a few of the holes a par 4 in a tournament. In real golf the difference between a par 3, 4, and 5 are recognized.
I saw about three people trying to play real golf. The day we played it had not been mowed for a while and I would think that would discourage golf because of the risk of loss of balls. Anyway, be careful of potentially flying golf balls. Most ball golfers are not familiar with disc golf or where others are likely to be headed when they play.

Very Minimal

1    5/29/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: DGfan68
Pros: Being from out of state and taking 2 hours to get here, I will try my best to present a "non-local" perspective.
The positives are:
1. Since the Boys and Girls Club share the small parking lot to this "park", it offers those kids an opportunity to be exposed to Disc Golf in a VERY basic and minimalistic way.
2. It is a good location for locals to come and practice their basic game.
3. Basic Tee signs at each Blue Tee.
Cons: The Cons are:
1. Difficult to find for out of towners. I used the address given in my GPS and it took me 6 blocks away. I stopped three times to ask for directions and no one could tell me where it was. We drove around for hour to find it and when we pulled up all three of us said the same thing, not good.
2. Seeing that the course is so minimalistic, it may appear to be too boring to those exploring the sport.
3. The current course layout does not match the map provided.
4. Contrary to other reviewer, it has grass Tee pads, NOT concrete.
5. Grass was tall with ticks.
6. Some of the out of bounds areas do not allow you to retrieve your discs.
7. The holes are laid out in a tight pattern so you have to be very mindful of others playing near you.
8. This is also a BALL Golf Practice course with both the Ball and Disc elements utilizing the same Tee pads and fairways. If someone is there with Golf Balls-look out!
9. The park is tucked away in an area we didn't feel comfortable in.
10. No real shade on the course for sunny hot weather. No bathrooms, water, or trash cans.
Other Thoughts: I really don't mean to sound like I'm bashing this "course", but if you are from out of town; I would not recommend spending the effort on this location. Again, I see it as a practice field for locals.
Paducah does have another course in Stuart Nelson Park that is really well done (unless it's wet). I would definitely say it is worth your time. We really enjoyed it.

I only gave this a 1.5 rating due to it having some sort of Tee signage; I think it should be lower.

wide open

1    11/3/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: peabody
Pros: Concrete pads and chainstar baskets. Great for not losing any discs. You can let your discs fly where they may. Most holes are very easy to par. Clean park and ample parking.
Cons: Pretty boring cause it is just back and forth in an open field for the most part. No bathrooms and no water. No benches and no trashcans. You have an errant throw on #9 and your discs are lost to the football field. Don't try to get them or you will be tried and convicted of tresspassing!
Other Thoughts: While this is Paducah's only other course it is still worth playing for the mere fact it's not in a swamp and all holes should be playable all year long. Good for beginners and long arms and for the rest of us to practice our wide open drives.

Open but fun

5+    7/11/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: tdortch
This review was updated on 9/16/2013
Pros: This is a good course to come play if you don't have much time for a round, or as a warmup for our other, much tougher course. There aren't very many trees on the course, but the ones that are there are used well.

This is a great course for beginners and those who want to work on throws and really see how their disc flies. Since its built on a Par 3 golf course, there is plenty of room for even big arm players to throw. It would be a great place to work on any kind of shot, really, because there are also uphill/downhill throws and some long anhyzer shots.

The woods along the perimeter of the first few holes are very thick, so it makes for a makeshift OB, which can be tough for some players. And, there is a soccer field that borders hole 9 which also has OB.
Cons: This course does not have much shade, so it's hard to play mid-summer. It gets pretty hot around here.

The length of some of the holes can be intimidating for new players, but it's probably not as intimidating as our other course. There are 5 Holes over 400 feet, with 3 of those @ 480 or more. The shortest is 285.
Other Thoughts: Within the first week of being open, our club had already laid out a back 9 using the existing baskets with new lines. Its a fun little course worthy of a stop.