Rock Hill, SC
Uploaded By: snoogenz569 Hole #12

Ghetto-y Goodness

1    4/1/2011   4/21/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Boyd Hill presents itself as a smallish, park-style pitch and putt upon first glance. After finishing the first several holes, however, it quickly becomes apparent that Boyd possesses some very solid, fun disc golf holes of varying lengths and difficulties. Beginners will definitely be able to hang here, but there are also plenty of exciting challenges awaiting more experienced players. A smallish stream bisects the course, and is nestled in a fairly sizable ditch that tries its best to induce players' discs to roll into the water on several greens. Mature pines dot the start of the course before it moves into a small wooded area. Eventually the course loops back towards the beginning on the far side of the stream, ending right by the parking lot.
- Elevation is used well, from the slight slopes used on the first several holes to the moderate elevation found later on. The designers did a good job incorporating all available elevation gain/loss, creating several fairly risky greens.
- Standout holes include #6, #13, #14, and #18. Hole #6 tees off through two double mandatories demarcated by old discs nailed to four large trees close off the tee. If you make all four mandatories (definitely a bit of a "pucker-factor" here as you try not to miss the narrow gap provided), the fairway leads you downhill through woods, across the stream and slightly uphill to a sloped green and a pin hidden from sight by large trees on the edge of the stream. Very nice! #13 is a short downhill ace run with the stream hard behind the pin, and the basket protected by several large trees. #14, the longest hole at just over 400', has OB to the left in the form of the stream. Again, the basket is nicely protected by trees. #18 finishes the course off right, with another mandatory and the stream coming into play yet again by the basket.
- Amenities include: decent concrete tees (laughably small in one or two places yet totally sufficient), signs that list the distances and hole number (but not a map of the hole layout), and a couple of trashcans near the parking lot. Next tee signs located on baskets as needed.
Cons: - There is a certain "ghetto" flavor to this course. Broken glass everywhere, graffiti, used-condoms, trash, locals from the nearby housing complex having loud, angry cellphone conversations on random teeboxes, etc.
- One or two places might contain safety issues, if the course is busy. #8 and #10's fairways cross, and the tee area for #2 might be located too close to #1's basket. Exercising a little caution should eliminate any problems.
Other Thoughts: - Not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination, Boyd is nevertheless a really fun, interesting course to play with several unique holes that stand out in my mind even many weeks after playing it. Certainly not a destination course, but if you're in the area and looking for a solid little course, or a warm up round before tackling some of the area's bigger better monsters, Boyd is for you.

5+    4/4/2011   4/7/2011
Review By: freakinback
This review was updated on 4/29/2011
Pros: Holes are all different. Ranging from open holes to tight wooded tunnels. There is a creek that falls into play on 4/5 of the holes. Local players are nice and helpful.
Being a new player I find this course a challenge and I have improved my game because of it.
Cons: Course is dirty and has many holes with broken glass.
Other Thoughts: I really like hole 4. It's a easy downhill shot. May be the easiest hole on the course. If I throw to hard I end up in the water on this hole.
Hole 14 kills me and my noodle arm. I've yet to even par this hole.

I was hit up for money by two locals at this course while playing solo. I stood my ground and everyone was polite, but it felt a little tense. I would recommend playing with at least a group of 2.

Nice surprise

1    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: The biggest pro for me was that there wasn't anything to complain about. In a small park with benches, trash cans and a bathroom in the rec center. Course features mostly shorter holes with either open fairways and a smattering of mature trees, or tight, heavily wooded fairways. Not much elevation, but it does come into play a little bit. Good mix of left and right doglegs. Several very tight tunnel shots through the woods. There is a small creek running through the middle of the course that comes into play on several holes. It's not big enough to swallow your disc, but can cost you a stroke due to the basket location on a couple holes. Several nice ace opportunities if that's your goal. #13 looks like a nice ace run from the tee, but the basket is actually tucked tightly between 2 trees with the creek behind it. If you ace that hole it's a good one, even though it's only about190' downhill. This is one of those courses that you can go play and play well with very limited discs. I used my putter, and 2 mids for almost every shot. I think I threw 2 thumbers just to loosen up the arm. Maybe a good place to hold a 1 disc tourney. Nice lines and good holes even though there isn't a ton of length.
Cons: The course has a pretty small footprint. The designer did a very good job of fitting a course into the available land. On #4 the tee pad is in the parking lot and you must throw over the small road the exits the lot. Not ideal. The double, double mando on #6 is iffy for me. It's not a totally brutal shot, but I wasn't sure it was necessary. But some people may like it, not sure. To each his own I guess.

In some places there isn't a lot of room between the basket and the next tee pad, or another fairway. I had no problems with errant discs, but it could be an issue in a tournament or a crowded day. There was a few other groups on the course today and I had no problems, but I wouldn't want to be there is the course was very crowded.

Length. There was 1 hole over 400'. It played along the creek and had some trees so it was a good hole, but not one you can totally air it out on. If you like wide open spaces and throwing long this course is not for you.

Not really any signature, wow hole. Maybe not a negative, but some players like the hole on the huge hill, or the hole on the edge of the lake. It's not here.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I am trying to work on form and accuracy, and this is a good course for that. I would compare it to Timmons in Greenville, SC; OT Sloan in Sanford, NC or possibly North Asheboro Park in Asheboro, NC. It's a really nice little neighborhood course that you'd enjoy having by your house, but you wouldn't travel a huge distance to play it. If you come to Rock HIll to play Winthrop then you should definitely hit up Boyd Hill. It would be a great compliment to a bigger, more wide open course.

Deucey

2-4    10/6/2007   1/16/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: Boyd Hill is a fun little deuce or die course. It knows what it is - and it plays to it. It doesn't try to bring into play tough par 3's that wouldn't fit with the course's flow. But even with nothing but deucable holes, some of them are challenging in their own way. There are forehands and backhands, along with fun gap hits. A few mandos. Some holes even bring some nice elevation into play. Overall it brings a very fun element to the game - especially when set next to Winthrop Gold every October. That's one of the biggest pros to the course - after playing grueling golf on the Gold course over at Winthrop, its nice to come down and be reminded why you enjoy disc golf.
Cons: It isn't as nicely kept up - there's some random trash scattered on the course at times. I'm not sure if all of it is from disc golfers, though. That isn't to say it is poorly kept up - but it definitely could use some cleaning up in places.

Most of the cons - such as lack of long holes, lack of par 4's, etc would really be nitpicking. Those things do keep it from being a championship calibre course, but they don't keep it from being a fun place to golf.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course any time I visit Rock Hill. It isn't Winthrop Gold, but as I already said - that's what makes it fun. Everything can be deuced, every hole is fun. Playing skins on this course is a good time, playing doubles is a good time. Just remember when you hit Boyd Hill that its more about some chill time golf than about playing something that'll challenge every part of your game.

In town for the day...

2-4    10/21/2009   1/3/2010
Review By: Shodai
Pros: Some nice settings and neat elevation differences make for interesting play. The more open holes were very nice to play and fun. I enjoyed them. Wooded holes increase the difficulty and challenge even the advanced players. I had enough fun playing there that I played 2 more times that day before heading back to Charleston. If its your first time there, play it once casually and then play a second round and really try. You'll enjoy it more the second time around after you've seen each hole and how its played. My score went down each round.
Cons: Some holes are set in the woods and have VERY NARROW fairways. NOT for beginners. Will aggrevate you as you learn the course and the elevations and the tight fairways on some holes. Bring your "A" game as accuracy is a must in the woods. Will be difficult to play the first round. Suggest playing two rounds if you want to enjoy it.
Other Thoughts: Free to play with available parking and not far from the Winthrop courses if you want to try more than one course in Rock Hill. I wish I had played my third round at Winthrop. It was fun and I cant really complain.

thrilla in rock hilla

5+    12/30/2009   12/30/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: cool little course in rock hill, close to winthrop. a good warm up course if you plan on playing winthrop. good signs at all holes, concrete pads, ace runs and good use of terrain
Cons: can be a little sketchy at times. there was a stolen moped in the woods on hole #9 . broken glass is everywhere, not many trashcans or any benches
Other Thoughts: a very fun course to play. there are a couple of tricky holes #6 has a double mando, which makes for a tough shot. # 13 is tucked behind a group of trees and is easily overshot and into the creek. # 16 is a short straigh ahead shot w/ only the basket showing. nice layout for the amount of space available, i find this course to be more challenging than the lakefront course at winthrop.

B = Better Than Average

5+    10/18/2007   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

1    2/15/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: Big Chipper
Pros: Fun mixture of technical elements. The wooded areas are very tough. Holes aren't very long...an arm saver this close to Winthrop.
Cons: Backs up to the projects. Broken glass everywhere.
Other Thoughts: I concur that this is one to be played in groups and not solo.