Rock Hill, SC
Uploaded By: snoogenz569 Hole #11

< Prev 1 2 3

1    8/20/2014   8/28/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: For a park of this size, there is a decent amount going on. A mix of open and wooded holes all feature a moderate amount of moderation. Several holes cross a small creek that traverses the length of the property.
There are some cool shots here, especially some of the creek ones, especially 6 and 11 which play through tight gaps over the creek. There is 8 which goes downhill tightly through the woods and there is 9, which plays uphill through the woods on a nice RHBH anny line. 16 is fun with the basket in a depression. 17 makes really good use of the terrain on the far side of the creek, offering a blind ace run that goes up and down a hill.
Easily navigable for the most part. The tees are typically in sight of the previous basket and you encounter several tees earlier in the round that you play them so memory is your friend here. It has the makings of a very quick round.
The course plays a lot bigger than its footprint, with trees, elevation a creek all contributing to a solid mix of hole shapes, lengths and styles.
Cons: The layout could be a three but there are some serious issues. The first is somewhat caused by the small footprint for the park. There is a lot of fairways butting up against each other. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that I doubt you are likely to encounter few other golfers here. But there is one tee that is pointed directly at another. There is a tee that is point directly at a tree.
The second is likely caused by the area of town. There is an absurd amount of broken glass in some areas. It is like shells at the beach. Just an unbelievable amount. Also the creek is not something you want your discs to fall in. There is a film to the water that makes it unappealing to fish out your discs.
Worth a play if you are already playing Winthrop but not a destination.

Meh

1    9/14/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: while I heard that this course was in the ghetto and could be dangerous I may have beat that by going at 930 am. I guess the Crack heads arn't awake that early so I didnt see anyone shady at all.

It had some good holes in the woods7- 17 were all pretty interesting and I liked 1 &2 as well.

The creek didnt look very nasty to me

For the limited space avalible the course has some good holes
Cons: Mandos. There are almost too many on this course and they seem to be the main theme. Several double mandos which I guess prove as some sort of protection for holes that are too close together but some seem like they shouldnt be there.

Hole 12's tee plays directly across hole 6's tee. Thise made no sense from a design standpoint to me since hole 6 sits a few feet from 3 trees with double mandos that force you through a gap less than 2 discs wide and seemed dumb since there was another double mando 30' past that. If the pad was just on the other side of the first trees it this would not be a problem.

Little glass around hole 6 and 12 but It was not all over the place.
Other Thoughts: Overall I'd say this course is worth the play even with the my issues with it. The overuse of mandos and the tee on 6 is mostly what lowered my rating from a 3 to a 2.5. The course is worth the play if you are in Rock Hill.

It was a beautiful day when I played this course and the park seemed nice although I have heard rumors of this place being borderline dangerous to play. I suggest trying early morning on a weekday to avoid this issue if you can because it seemed to work for me.

Boyd at the hood

5+    8/25/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/29/2013
Pros: -Boyd hill is a disc golf course in rock hill that is mainly for beginners and intermedites. If you are one of those, you probably will do well at this course.
-The course has a great use of elevation and usually after an uphill hole, the next will high likely be downhill. A few holes are flat as well.
-The course has teepads and they are in good shape and the holes that are longer (5,14) have teepads that a little longer than the others. The holes that are barely 200 something or less have kind of small teepads (4,7,13 and 16) the longer the hole, the longer the teepad.
-I like that the creek is the biggest obstacle on the course. That way if you throw a disc in it, it won't be too hard to find since it's shallow.
-I liked a lot of holes there and my favorite was #17. It's uphil/downhill and is a hyzer shot. It goes out into the open and a birdie is very possible if you throw an overstable disc if youare a rhbh or lhfh thrower. Rhfh's and lhbh's, I recommend you throw an understable disc. The other holes I loved were #5, #10, #13, #16 and 18.
-Teesigns are very accurate and I believed the distance of the holes on all of them.
-#18 is a great finish to the course. It has a mando gate not far from the tee and it's easier to hit than #6's. The creek is in play about 245' feet from the tee. It's super fun.
-The first four holes are pretty open just to warm you up and then #5's basket goes in the woods. The woods are not very tight but they do require straight shots unless the hole is not straight.
-The grass is cut and since the woods are not thick at all and the course is openly wooded. You probably won't lose a disc unless you refuse to go in the creek to get it if it lands there.
-Although I didn't see the next teesigns, the course is very easy to follow. You can print out a map if you feel like you need to.
-There are trashcans and bathrooms in the rec center.
Cons: -It's in the hood and it can possibly be dangerous. If you play disc golf and have children under 12, I would recommend not bringing them. When my mom was about to park, she said "We might be going to Tirzah" which is a good idea for you players who have kids since it's on a church property. Also a man in the neighborhood was looking at me and my mother. Some advice from my mom "Tee off now and play it fast". That's a tip for #12.
-Lots of litter occurs on the course (mainly beer cans) and the broken glass wasn't much trouble but don't wear your flip flops because that way it won't be too much trouble.
-Please take my advice. The worst hole on the course most certainly is #6 in my opinion. The double mandos are inconsiderate and ridiculous. I don't mind #18's mando gate but two mando gates is just terrible.
-No effect on the course but sadly I got +5.
The 2 mando gates on #6 are not needed. I don't get that you have to play something that ridiculous in a tournament. It's inconsiderate and unfair. Forget about it if you are a beginner. Just play it on #1 and #18. I will admit I triple bogey a LOT.
-A few holes cross each other lie 8 and 10 and 6 and 12. At the Blazer, whoever gets to one of those holes first, those people start.
-Yes hole 4 is short that drops maybe 23 feet or something and I did hit the chains on it but it has a circle spraypainted. Basically you have to be no more than maybe 30-40 from the basket or it's a stroke penalty and you're third shot is in the fairway on a spraypainted line. I like #4 but really, it's a tough cookie.
Other Thoughts: I loved this course and could play it all day except on a hot summer day without water. I forgot to get it out of the cooler. Besides being in a bad part of town and littered quite a bunch, I love it here and the layout is great. It's very hilly and if it gets cleaned up, the course is in great shape. Just don't hang out with the locals who hang around here. It can be scary but I will definitely come back.

hole by hole
#1. Nice starting hole mostly open then goes in the woods. There is a mando pointing left I think. It's pretty far from the tee. The hole requires any throw with any disc but don't go far, I did and had an uphill putt.
#2. Tough teeshot but if you get past and avoid the trees, that's a good throw. The teeshot is over a bush and tree limbs are not very high up.
#3. Big challenge for Right backhand throwers (RHBH). Trees are to the right guarding the road. No obstacles for sidearm throwers.
#4. Nicely downhill, -23, and open ace run that is very easy to birdie. The playground is right so you better avoid that.
#5. Now it gets hard. The tee is in the fairway and the basket is in the woods. You have an uphill shot and I luckily got over the creek maybe 240' ahead. That was my longest drive today around 300" to 310'.
#6. The two double mandos are not far ahead of the tee but believe me, they are very hard to hit. The one 4 feet from the tee is tight but easier to hit. The second is wider but really hard to get through. It's a hard hole that has a small opening left in the field from the woods. RHBH should do it. NOT SIDEARM. It drops -25 AND IT STILL SUX.
#7. Short but not beginner friendly. I must be honest. I bogeyed this hole. It's a bit uphill and has another small opening and then it goes to the right. This is one of the harder holes on the course and it's kinda hard to get out of the deep woods.
#8. Very fun challenge. You need a decent flick for a birdie. The small dropoff isn't far past the basket.
#9. The hardest on the course if #6 wasn't such a nightmare and it definitely can be a bust if you don't hit the fairway. Remember it's a dogleg right and anhyzers and flicks can tame this hole. It's not bad but it can be if you make it.
#10. Another great hole! It's a lot like #8 except it's straight and a little shorter. If you go nice and straight, you could birdie but sadly I hit a tree.
#11. Challenging and steep uphill and needs to be cleaned up to the left of the tee. The creek is ahead around 75' feet and I once again hit a tree it didn't make it to the creek. I saved par still from 245' feet. It's easy once your past the creek.
#12. Fun sidearm hole when a guy doesn't look at you from his porch. Besides that, I liked this hole.
#13. Definitely a tough ace run that is downhill which causes you to hit the creek 15' feet. The fairway slopes right and the basket has trees beside it. My church leader Trey ace this hole and since this is updated. 8/25, I hit every chain on #4 and it got out.
#14. Longest one on the course and it's not too hard if you avoid the trees straight or slightly left or right ahead. Also the creek is left. This hole is hard and many stroke penalties are common. I still liked this hole.
#15. It's flat until you get to the basket. This fairway is one of the hardest to hit. Once you get close, you see that the basket is elevated on bricks about 5 feet tall. Cool hole.
#16. Sweet downhill ace run that does NOT have trees around it. It's in a ditch, don't be weak on this one. Drops about -10.
#17. It's the only dogleg left on the course. The tee shot is wooded and a hyzer that goes 200' and turns left and good bit is possibly very close. Awesome, awesome hole.
#18. Fantastic finishing hole on the course. Hit the mando gate from the tee about 90-100" feet. It's wider than #6's mandos. Possibly will be the best on the course to y'all to a lot of y'all who haven't played here. -15.

Overall, the neighborhood is dangerous. Those ghettos oversleep so come by early and play a round or two if you like. The creek isn't bad because water flows slowly down to the gutter. When I played here (7 times) I could tell people didn't do their business in there. Overall, this course is worth the play because it has ace runs, long bombs and it offers aces if you drive your drive well, particularly #16 at really only about 165-180 feet long. It can happen easier with a putter, #16's aced the most but it won't happen automatically. When I read the hole info, I expected an ace on #4 or #16. Honestly I will say, I got par on both. #16 is actually the easiest. On #4, in a tournament, for y'all who played here, you might have noticed the circle on #4 marked by spray paint. It's an island green, #4 was aced at the tournament and should've gone in when I hit the chains but it didn't and unsurprisingly, there were 7's and 8's on #4 because they missed the island green. If you miss it, go down about 75' feet from the tee and you will see a line marked by spray paint for your approach. It's a penalty stroke if island is missed.

Just don't do it

1    10/9/2011   10/13/2011
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: Not a bad course as far as the layout; I think that the last reviewer did it justice. There is a great mix of elevation and left/right turns, the baskets are in good placements, and the trees are used strategically.
Cons: It's just too sketchy. I won't go into the rumors that circulate since I haven't witnessed them, but some places just aren't really safe to play disc golf. You cannot picture the amount of broken glass on this course. The rough is FILLED with litter, which brings nasty bugs and mosquitos. We were told by a local that the stream that goes through the course is known as "poop creek". I had the unfortunate luck of tossing into this stagnant, diseased creek, and nearly left my disc behind.
Other Thoughts: I love the diversity that disc golf brings to the table. I love the idea of putting baskets all over creation. Simply put, this is not a safe location. I'm not going to go into any details regarding the local non-disc golfers, but on one occasion my buddy and I sincerely felt threatened. My advice to non-area discers: just go somewhere else; there are so many nice courses around; and if you must go, do not go alone. My advice to the locals: move your baskets to a new park.

Ghetto-y Goodness

1    4/1/2011   4/21/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Boyd Hill presents itself as a smallish, park-style pitch and putt upon first glance. After finishing the first several holes, however, it quickly becomes apparent that Boyd possesses some very solid, fun disc golf holes of varying lengths and difficulties. Beginners will definitely be able to hang here, but there are also plenty of exciting challenges awaiting more experienced players. A smallish stream bisects the course, and is nestled in a fairly sizable ditch that tries its best to induce players' discs to roll into the water on several greens. Mature pines dot the start of the course before it moves into a small wooded area. Eventually the course loops back towards the beginning on the far side of the stream, ending right by the parking lot.
- Elevation is used well, from the slight slopes used on the first several holes to the moderate elevation found later on. The designers did a good job incorporating all available elevation gain/loss, creating several fairly risky greens.
- Standout holes include #6, #13, #14, and #18. Hole #6 tees off through two double mandatories demarcated by old discs nailed to four large trees close off the tee. If you make all four mandatories (definitely a bit of a "pucker-factor" here as you try not to miss the narrow gap provided), the fairway leads you downhill through woods, across the stream and slightly uphill to a sloped green and a pin hidden from sight by large trees on the edge of the stream. Very nice! #13 is a short downhill ace run with the stream hard behind the pin, and the basket protected by several large trees. #14, the longest hole at just over 400', has OB to the left in the form of the stream. Again, the basket is nicely protected by trees. #18 finishes the course off right, with another mandatory and the stream coming into play yet again by the basket.
- Amenities include: decent concrete tees (laughably small in one or two places yet totally sufficient), signs that list the distances and hole number (but not a map of the hole layout), and a couple of trashcans near the parking lot. Next tee signs located on baskets as needed.
Cons: - There is a certain "ghetto" flavor to this course. Broken glass everywhere, graffiti, used-condoms, trash, locals from the nearby housing complex having loud, angry cellphone conversations on random teeboxes, etc.
- One or two places might contain safety issues, if the course is busy. #8 and #10's fairways cross, and the tee area for #2 might be located too close to #1's basket. Exercising a little caution should eliminate any problems.
Other Thoughts: - Not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination, Boyd is nevertheless a really fun, interesting course to play with several unique holes that stand out in my mind even many weeks after playing it. Certainly not a destination course, but if you're in the area and looking for a solid little course, or a warm up round before tackling some of the area's bigger better monsters, Boyd is for you.

5+    4/4/2011   4/7/2011
Review By: freakinback
This review was updated on 4/29/2011
Pros: Holes are all different. Ranging from open holes to tight wooded tunnels. There is a creek that falls into play on 4/5 of the holes. Local players are nice and helpful.
Being a new player I find this course a challenge and I have improved my game because of it.
Cons: Course is dirty and has many holes with broken glass.
Other Thoughts: I really like hole 4. It's a easy downhill shot. May be the easiest hole on the course. If I throw to hard I end up in the water on this hole.
Hole 14 kills me and my noodle arm. I've yet to even par this hole.

I was hit up for money by two locals at this course while playing solo. I stood my ground and everyone was polite, but it felt a little tense. I would recommend playing with at least a group of 2.

Boyd Hill

5+    8/24/2010   11/24/2010
Review By: Pitty241
Pros: -Brand new tee signs
-Closed and Open holes
-great for begginers and seasoned players
-mostly short technical holes
-great layout
Cons: -beer bottles every where over at hole 6
-The creek needs to be cleaned on hole 10
-Some of the course not very well taken care of
-fair ways are right up on each other alot of times but it shouldn't be too much of a factor.
Other Thoughts: All and all this course can test your short game very tight and technical holes along with some open ones too. very well laid out as well.
I would recomend this course for the seasoned players. You might also want to be careful because it isnt in the best part of town.

Broken Bottle Blues

1    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: jnuzz17
Pros: Very fun course in park. Not to hard until you get into the woods where it becomes more challenging. Holes are nicely set up. All holes are very different which gives the course nice variety.
Cons: In rough part of Rock Hill. Broken glass EVERYWHERE. Might not want to play at dusk. Arrows on baskets to show where the next hole is are not all accurate and have been messed with
Other Thoughts: When in the woods play out sideways and try and save par. You get penalized severely for bad shot when in the woods. Dont get greedy and play smart.

home course

5+    7/1/2010   7/1/2010
Review By: discgirly
Pros: I just played this course again and it's more of less my home course or one of them. The park setting is beautiful and the holes are well connected by arrows, not a lot of walking between holes
Cons: Could use a few longer holes. The longest hole was under 400 feet and everything played like pitch and putt but I think the park is to small for longer holes.
Other Thoughts: Could use a few longer holes.

Nice surprise

1    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: The biggest pro for me was that there wasn't anything to complain about. In a small park with benches, trash cans and a bathroom in the rec center. Course features mostly shorter holes with either open fairways and a smattering of mature trees, or tight, heavily wooded fairways. Not much elevation, but it does come into play a little bit. Good mix of left and right doglegs. Several very tight tunnel shots through the woods. There is a small creek running through the middle of the course that comes into play on several holes. It's not big enough to swallow your disc, but can cost you a stroke due to the basket location on a couple holes. Several nice ace opportunities if that's your goal. #13 looks like a nice ace run from the tee, but the basket is actually tucked tightly between 2 trees with the creek behind it. If you ace that hole it's a good one, even though it's only about190' downhill. This is one of those courses that you can go play and play well with very limited discs. I used my putter, and 2 mids for almost every shot. I think I threw 2 thumbers just to loosen up the arm. Maybe a good place to hold a 1 disc tourney. Nice lines and good holes even though there isn't a ton of length.
Cons: The course has a pretty small footprint. The designer did a very good job of fitting a course into the available land. On #4 the tee pad is in the parking lot and you must throw over the small road the exits the lot. Not ideal. The double, double mando on #6 is iffy for me. It's not a totally brutal shot, but I wasn't sure it was necessary. But some people may like it, not sure. To each his own I guess.

In some places there isn't a lot of room between the basket and the next tee pad, or another fairway. I had no problems with errant discs, but it could be an issue in a tournament or a crowded day. There was a few other groups on the course today and I had no problems, but I wouldn't want to be there is the course was very crowded.

Length. There was 1 hole over 400'. It played along the creek and had some trees so it was a good hole, but not one you can totally air it out on. If you like wide open spaces and throwing long this course is not for you.

Not really any signature, wow hole. Maybe not a negative, but some players like the hole on the huge hill, or the hole on the edge of the lake. It's not here.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I am trying to work on form and accuracy, and this is a good course for that. I would compare it to Timmons in Greenville, SC; OT Sloan in Sanford, NC or possibly North Asheboro Park in Asheboro, NC. It's a really nice little neighborhood course that you'd enjoy having by your house, but you wouldn't travel a huge distance to play it. If you come to Rock HIll to play Winthrop then you should definitely hit up Boyd Hill. It would be a great compliment to a bigger, more wide open course.

< Prev 1 2 3