Rock Hill, SC
Uploaded By: snoogenz569 Hole #3

Nice surprise

1    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: The biggest pro for me was that there wasn't anything to complain about. In a small park with benches, trash cans and a bathroom in the rec center. Course features mostly shorter holes with either open fairways and a smattering of mature trees, or tight, heavily wooded fairways. Not much elevation, but it does come into play a little bit. Good mix of left and right doglegs. Several very tight tunnel shots through the woods. There is a small creek running through the middle of the course that comes into play on several holes. It's not big enough to swallow your disc, but can cost you a stroke due to the basket location on a couple holes. Several nice ace opportunities if that's your goal. #13 looks like a nice ace run from the tee, but the basket is actually tucked tightly between 2 trees with the creek behind it. If you ace that hole it's a good one, even though it's only about190' downhill. This is one of those courses that you can go play and play well with very limited discs. I used my putter, and 2 mids for almost every shot. I think I threw 2 thumbers just to loosen up the arm. Maybe a good place to hold a 1 disc tourney. Nice lines and good holes even though there isn't a ton of length.
Cons: The course has a pretty small footprint. The designer did a very good job of fitting a course into the available land. On #4 the tee pad is in the parking lot and you must throw over the small road the exits the lot. Not ideal. The double, double mando on #6 is iffy for me. It's not a totally brutal shot, but I wasn't sure it was necessary. But some people may like it, not sure. To each his own I guess.

In some places there isn't a lot of room between the basket and the next tee pad, or another fairway. I had no problems with errant discs, but it could be an issue in a tournament or a crowded day. There was a few other groups on the course today and I had no problems, but I wouldn't want to be there is the course was very crowded.

Length. There was 1 hole over 400'. It played along the creek and had some trees so it was a good hole, but not one you can totally air it out on. If you like wide open spaces and throwing long this course is not for you.

Not really any signature, wow hole. Maybe not a negative, but some players like the hole on the huge hill, or the hole on the edge of the lake. It's not here.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I am trying to work on form and accuracy, and this is a good course for that. I would compare it to Timmons in Greenville, SC; OT Sloan in Sanford, NC or possibly North Asheboro Park in Asheboro, NC. It's a really nice little neighborhood course that you'd enjoy having by your house, but you wouldn't travel a huge distance to play it. If you come to Rock HIll to play Winthrop then you should definitely hit up Boyd Hill. It would be a great compliment to a bigger, more wide open course.

2-4    10/6/2007   1/16/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: Boyd Hill is a fun little deuce or die course. It knows what it is - and it plays to it. It doesn't try to bring into play tough par 3's that wouldn't fit with the course's flow. But even with nothing but deucable holes, some of them are challenging in their own way. There are forehands and backhands, along with fun gap hits. A few mandos. Some holes even bring some nice elevation into play. Overall it brings a very fun element to the game - especially when set next to Winthrop Gold every October. That's one of the biggest pros to the course - after playing grueling golf on the Gold course over at Winthrop, its nice to come down and be reminded why you enjoy disc golf.
Cons: It isn't as nicely kept up - there's some random trash scattered on the course at times. I'm not sure if all of it is from disc golfers, though. That isn't to say it is poorly kept up - but it definitely could use some cleaning up in places.

Most of the cons - such as lack of long holes, lack of par 4's, etc would really be nitpicking. Those things do keep it from being a championship calibre course, but they don't keep it from being a fun place to golf.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course any time I visit Rock Hill. It isn't Winthrop Gold, but as I already said - that's what makes it fun. Everything can be deuced, every hole is fun. Playing skins on this course is a good time, playing doubles is a good time. Just remember when you hit Boyd Hill that its more about some chill time golf than about playing something that'll challenge every part of your game.

1    1/15/2010   1/15/2010
Review By: CalebC83
Pros: There are several difficult shots between or around trees make the course interesting. Shorter holes make the course ok for beginners as well.
Cons: The first part of the course is played near the road and parking lot and is very open and not scenic. All of the holes are pretty short so if you can throw a good distance fairly accurately it should be pretty easy to stay under par.
Other Thoughts: Overally a good course for beginner to intermediate players.

In town for the day...

2-4    10/21/2009   1/3/2010
Review By: Shodai
Pros: Some nice settings and neat elevation differences make for interesting play. The more open holes were very nice to play and fun. I enjoyed them. Wooded holes increase the difficulty and challenge even the advanced players. I had enough fun playing there that I played 2 more times that day before heading back to Charleston. If its your first time there, play it once casually and then play a second round and really try. You'll enjoy it more the second time around after you've seen each hole and how its played. My score went down each round.
Cons: Some holes are set in the woods and have VERY NARROW fairways. NOT for beginners. Will aggrevate you as you learn the course and the elevations and the tight fairways on some holes. Bring your "A" game as accuracy is a must in the woods. Will be difficult to play the first round. Suggest playing two rounds if you want to enjoy it.
Other Thoughts: Free to play with available parking and not far from the Winthrop courses if you want to try more than one course in Rock Hill. I wish I had played my third round at Winthrop. It was fun and I cant really complain.

thrilla in rock hilla

5+    12/30/2009   12/30/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: cool little course in rock hill, close to winthrop. a good warm up course if you plan on playing winthrop. good signs at all holes, concrete pads, ace runs and good use of terrain
Cons: can be a little sketchy at times. there was a stolen moped in the woods on hole #9 . broken glass is everywhere, not many trashcans or any benches
Other Thoughts: a very fun course to play. there are a couple of tricky holes #6 has a double mando, which makes for a tough shot. # 13 is tucked behind a group of trees and is easily overshot and into the creek. # 16 is a short straigh ahead shot w/ only the basket showing. nice layout for the amount of space available, i find this course to be more challenging than the lakefront course at winthrop.

Some very creative shots

1    8/27/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: ARock
Pros: My buddies and I played this course first thing in the morning as a warm up to Winthrop but found ourselves really enjoying the challenges that Boyd Hill had to offer. The course started kind of slowly but the shots required, especially on the back 9, were tremendous.
Cons: This course is not in a very good area of town. I'm glad we played first thing in the morning before anyone else was awake (we were finished and gone before anyone else was on the course). Broken glass all over the course and clearly this park was not well maintained. It's really too bad considering some of the creativity that went into designing the holes
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't make a habit of playing this course, but it's worth a visit if you play with some friends for sure. I wouldn't recommend playing it as the sun goes down, but first thing in the morning as a start to a full day of disc golf is great. Get there early, enjoy the challenge, and get out!

B = Better Than Average

5+    10/18/2007   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

1    2/15/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: Big Chipper
Pros: Fun mixture of technical elements. The wooded areas are very tough. Holes aren't very arm saver this close to Winthrop.
Cons: Backs up to the projects. Broken glass everywhere.
Other Thoughts: I concur that this is one to be played in groups and not solo.

5+    1/22/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: willstradamus
Pros: -Course has open and wooded shots
-Many different lines
-great course for beginners because most holes are in the 250 ft range but can be challenging for more advanced players.
-The wooded terrain makes for a nice contrast to Winthrop which is only a couple of miles away
-the locals are very friendly and helpful
-new concrete teepads are great and are placed in better locations than the previous dirt pads
-Great use of the creek and mandos to provide some excellent risk/reward oppertunities.
Cons: -locals dont reccomend playing the course solo
-broken bottles are fairly common on the course
-A lot of the signs have been broken or vandalized
Other Thoughts: This is a very underrated course. Possibly due to its close proximity to Winthrop. The last time I played, the course appeared to be cleaned up a lot and I could tell that the local club has put a lot of effort in to making Boyd a great course. If the course was in a better area I would definitly rate it higher

Boyd Hill

1    1/22/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: Recently added concrete teepads have been a big improvement to this course. Very createful use of mandos, and nice use of elevation make this a fun course to play.
Cons: Would benefit from nice tee signs. Lots of litter on and around course.
Other Thoughts: Boyd Hill has some potential and the newly added teepads looks promising. If there is continued work done here the course could become quite nice.