Valley Springs, CA
New Hogan Dam - West Share
Uploaded By: jasonandsharon Hole #5 (Taken 2/2013)
3 / 390ft.   4 / 525ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Beautiful, fun & challenging

1    4/26/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: kevaunne
Pros: - Strong design. Great shot variety required. For the most part, holes felt distinctive and flowed well. Lots of different hole distances.
- Fun big downhill throws where you can watch your disc flyyyyy. 17 is epic
- Decent signage. Maps on 1st teepads are very helpful.
- Hilly, rocky, lightly forested, & grassy. This is prime disc golf terrain.
- Great wildlife viewing. We saw a group of deer and a large vulture during our round
- I thought I'd be griping about the dirt teepads but they were flat and packed down. No problems at all, even after a rainy day.
Cons: - The baskets aren't the best. They're shallow and the chains seemed thinner which led to some frustrating putts. Flags or markers would have been extremely helpful. Also an indication of basket position would have been nice. We had to do a lot of scouting before teeing off.
- Burrs EVERYWHERE. My dogs and shoes got blanketed.
- Rattlesnake country.
- Sometimes obstructions (bushes, trees) were too close to the basket. There were approaches where I intentionally threw into a bush or tree knowing that it would catch my disc for an easy drop in.
Other Thoughts: This course is quite pleasant and challenging! I had a wonderful day here soaking in the scenery and throwing discs.

Use some caution and planning before playing here. Bring lots of water, avoid this course on a hot day and be prepared for burrs. Water and bathrooms are a bit of a walk away from the course. The water out of the drinking fountain was the some of the tastiest and pure I've ever had. I think it came directly from the reservoir yummm

Fun and Scenic

2-4    12/31/2013   1/2/2014
Review By: gusisfishin@gmail.co
Pros: Lots of different shots. Baskets in great shape. Water hazards along the lake starting with hole 11. The bank - when the lake is UP - is steep into the water and rocky under the water. You'll get your disc back when the water goes down.
Cons: Not that I could find.
Other Thoughts: Hole 11 is fun. Over the water is a long shot, or, go around. It's a nice sized cove.
Hole 17 - almost 800 feet in the long position. But watch out. I went past it on my second shot and nearly ended up in the water about 150' past it. That hole is a kick to shoot at. I'm such a beginner - I had no idea I could throw a disc that far, even down hill.

Nice views

1    7/2/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on the slope from the top of the ridge down toward the lake. Many of the shots have elevation in play, with a couple fun downhill holes, some tricky uphill shots and some fun rollaway opportunities in landing zones and around pins. There is nice variety in distance, with several reachable shots and plenty of longer bombs where you get to open up and throw a real drive.

There are a few shots where there are enough trees to force some slightly tighter lines, otherwise the main obstacle is wind and distance. There are lots of great spots to enjoy the view out over the lake. Like the other course, some of the larger trees and rock piles are used well to make fun pin placements. When the water is up in the lake a few holes have the potential for cool risk/reward shots. The tees are natural, but are hard packed and level so I had no problems throwing from them.
Cons: Unfortunately the water was low when I played so I didn't get to play any of the shots with water in play (not a con that affected my rating, just a disappointment). The course is very open overall, and doesn't test any real line shaping or technical skills. You can score well with nothing but a controlled hyzer.

The signage is inconsistent and not very accurate, especially in the area where the two courses play close to one another. A few spots could use some next tee signs as well. The grass can get a little long and full of fox tails, gaiters or pants might be a good idea.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find the course pretty long, but won't have too much of an issue recovering from errant shots. Experienced players will enjoy the chance to throw some long drives and the elevation and wind make for some challenges but the lack of technical challenges makes the course a bit repetitive. This is the better of the two courses, both are worth a stop if you're in the area.

Hogan's Hero

1    7/11/2013   7/12/2013
Review By: elton807
Pros: Easily one of my most favorite courses I've played (along with La Mirada, Stafford and Golden Gate). Beautiful scenery, peaceful wild life, and ultra secluded...who could ask for much more? Perfect blend of medium, long, and super long holes, lots of trees & rocks, and some shots along the waterfront. A number of different tee shots are required and available. Great elevation changes and rugged terrain.
Cons: Uhh...hmm...nope, none.
Other Thoughts: What an amazing course. Warm and sunny day, but I'm glad I wore gators and pants. This course tests your distance, accuracy, and putting skills. It's certainly a more difficult course, but great shots are rewarded. These 36-holes at New Hogan were an absolute steal for $4 on a weekday! These are among the highest grades I've ever given a course.
=================
Uniqueness: A+ (similar to Stafford, but with better lake views)
Difficulty: A (trees, rocks, elevation, wind)
Fun Factor: A+ (amazing views, super fun holes, some birdy opps)
Aesthetics: A+ (awesome course layout in beautiful terrain, next to the water)
---------------------
Overall: A+

Play this course

2-4    4/20/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Steve D.
Pros: Several beautiful basket placements on this course. This side is very challenging. Great variation of shots required.
Cons: This course still has dirt tees.
Other Thoughts: The wind on this side is sketchy, bring your A game. Several new long holes really open this course up. This side used every disc in my bag. Well marked and easy to navigate, this side gets my vote if I could only play one of the courses. Great job with new layout Hogan Team!

West is Best

2-4    10/21/2012   10/29/2012
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
• Very good shot variety
• Very nice views
• Interesting wildlife here and there
• Tees are better defined than they were
• Restrooms and water nearby with additional facilities (e.g. BBQ, fishing, cleaning station, etc…)
Cons:
• Tees are still dirt
• A little tricky to navigate in spots
Tips:
• Bring a map

Random Thoughts:
So obviously you need to read both the East and West reviews to know what you're getting out here and since there are two courses I felt like I was cheating the course by reviewing them separately. I'd rather see this listed as one big course because that's basically what it is. But having said that, my thoughts on the West course are that it's far better than the East course. There is a much greater shot variety, from long difficult holes to ace runs, hyzers, anhyzers, slight tunnels, protected baskets and all the fun in between. And the views just blow the East side away, making the whole round far more interesting and rewarding. And seriously, #17 is still one of the best/funnest holes I've ever played. You can not beat an all downhill 700 footer that finishes on a beach. It's a beautiful shot and still home to my farthest drive ever. The one hole I have a concern about is #11. IF, I said IF, the water ever returns to where the waterline is, this hole will be damn near unplayable, but again, I have no idea how likely that is. But as is, it's a very long, challenging, but fun hole. And I'd like to say again, that this is a nice destination course. Due to its location, I suspect it's not convenient for anyone, but I enjoy loading up the BBQ supplies and heading here. With all the amenities and the atmosphere/views, it makes for a fun relaxing day.

Bottom Line:
Definitely the jewel of the two courses, and if you're going to play both I'd advise playing the East first so you can save the best for last. Kudos to the course designers on taking an already interesting course and making better. Looking forward to the continued improvements. And again, I'd definitely review this course higher if it were one course. It's doing the course a disservice to split them up. So, of course, now go read the East review.

Almost Epic Course

5+    10/8/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: jasonandsharon
Pros: Lots of great shot selection. Lots of land. Most holes range from 250 to 500 feet with hole #17 coming in at over 700+. Absolutely beautiful course in late winter early spring. The land has lots of oaks scattered over the property with rocks sticking out of the ground throughout. All of the baskets are in great shape. The course has several water hazards along the lake shore when the lake is high enough. Most holes are strategically placed in the middle of tree groves or boulders so that even the shortest holes are challenging.
Cons: This course can get very rough in the summer months, with lots of weeds and stickers. Wear long pants, boots and gators. $4 to get into area, not that bad considering you get 36 wonderful holes and a beautiful lake. Watch for rattlesnakes in summer.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful scenic piece of property to put a course on. This course is very similar in how it plays and looks to stafford, skyline, black butte or casitas: beautiful CA wilderness areas. This course tends to dry out faster than those other courses so has a shorter optimal time to play, but is still very playable in summer just prepare.