Mt. Berry, GA
Log Cabin Course Share
Uploaded By: jaredbrumbelow Hole #2 (Taken 5/2016)

Scenic course, with a few flaws

2-4    5/18/2016   5/19/2016
Review By: jaredbrumbelow
This review was updated on 5/23/2016
Pros: This course is no doubt beautiful course. The grass is always manicured as the students are payed year round to cut the campus lawns. I have seen deer everytime I play which makes it a cool experience (especially watch for them on hole 16, I see them EVERY time on this hole). The baskets are in good condition and it is a nice, open course with few obstacles for beginners. The only obstacles are a few trees and bushes placed near the holes. This makes for an easy beginners course and a course many more advanced long bombers could birdie on many holes. It will lead you through a portion of the campus allowing you to see the historic Barnwell Chapel and portions of the Ford Complex castle (funded by Henry Ford himself) that one could easily take a break to explore. Also, for anyone that makes the trip out to play, there is also another 18 hole course on campus only three miles away called the Winshape DG Course. 36 holes in one location definitely makes it worth the visit.
Cons: The most difficult thing about this course is finding the tee box. I have attended this school for two years and it still took me three rounds to find them all. There is some assistance for finding most of the tee boxes as there is a scorecard and map that can be printed from Berry's website which I will give a link to below for anyone interested. However, I will warn that some of the tees (specifically 3 and 6 from recollection) have been moved or mismarked). Also, for anyone who uses Par to judge their play, some of the holes should definitely be reconsidered. Following tradition, every hole is a par 3, but a few holes, definitely 16 should be considered at least a par 4 maybe a par 5.

Other Thoughts: This course is overall decent. It is well kept and if a few investments for better markers and signage was made, it could be improved to a 3.5 or 4 rating in my opinion.
As a Berry student, I will take it into my hands to assist my fellow DG'ers where I can. If anyone shows interest, I will download the map and edit the mistakes and post it either to my own page or this review.

Edit: Course Map Revisions are now up; here is the link and it is also posted under links/files of the course page. Enjoy!

Pretty setting, don't hit the deer!

1    7/18/2015   11/11/2015
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Beautiful course on a private college campus. Though they have a gatehouse you are usually welcome before 7pm and have access to the course(also the course at their mountain campus).

Hiking trails, roads through the woods for biking etc.

It's overall a beautiful place and great to get away from the hustle of the city.

The baskets are not new, but in good shape and well balanced.

The layout is mostly pastoral and falls over rolling hills and though the holes are not particularly long the are well thought out and interesting.

It's a fun play for sure in a nice setting. I would take a half day to play this course, the Winshape 9 and then hike and tour the old churches or hike to the reservoir.
Cons: Navigation; you see baskets around, but there is no signage directing you to the start or which tee is next.

The tees are natural and only marked in number by a small flat square paver in the ground. Which though beautiful it's not very useful, and in the words of Tony Wilson,"nothing useless can be truly beautiful".

As I said earlier it's a bit short and the shots only vary as much as the land lets it, and for a GA course it's not at all wooded.
Other Thoughts: Great place to spend a day in nature, but probably bring a guide. I don't think a first timer could easily navigate alone.

The first hole starts by the stairs of the log cabin chapel, which is kind of cool. I played here while my wife was at a wedding rehearsal and it was a pretty good diversion.

Will be playing again.

Very good course

2-4    7/17/2014   9/9/2014
Review By: Huntsville_TM
Pros: This course is kept in good condition because it is in the middle of a college campus.
Baskets are in good condition.
Cons: Some pins incorrectly marked. The tee markers are difficult to see because they are just square stones level with the ground.
Other Thoughts: This course has been redesigned in recent years. Some of the pins are mislabeled because of this. However, the course is laid out on a beautiful college campus. It requires a lot of walking but the scenery is wonderful. There are wild deer roaming around the course and campus.

Tee markers can be difficult to find. They are just flat stones laying on the ground which makes it easy to mow around I suppose. There are many open holes but a few of them have enough trees to create some obstacles. Several holes feature elevation changes.

Confusing

1    5/25/2014   6/3/2014
Review By: doddworley
Pros: Beautiful setting and abundant wildlife. Course in good shape. Pretty much wide open.
Cons: Nothing technical here.
My main reason for the low rating: it is very confusing due to not tee markers, and no basket markers. I was pretty much just looking from the very small tee pad at five different baskets and throwing at one of them. It was very frustrating to play here. Not recommended at all

Nice course.

2-4    8/6/2013   8/21/2013
Review By: gbbiv
Pros: Beautiful campus and surroundings. Decent baskets. Cool tee markers. Not used that much.
Cons: Kind of tough to find your way around the course. No tee pads. It was really challenging that they didn't have the basket in the right holes... meaning the numbers didn't match the tee marker that was pointing at the basket... after some walking around I think I figured most of it out.
Other Thoughts: I'm very new and really enjoyed the course once I found my way around. Not sure it would be all that challenging for more experienced players. But there is another 18 on the back half of the campus so making the trip seems well worth it.