Newport, OR
Wilder DGC Share
Uploaded By: joy4all Hole #13 (Taken 11/2012)
3 / 255ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Wilder-not only a name

1    9/14/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: adiscted
Pros: First 18 hole on the Oregon coast
Only 2 or 3 similar holes
Awesome use of land
Good challenging holes
Beautiful area
Calorie burner ;)
Cons: LOTS of underbrush-still very young and needs some beating in
Spotters absolutely nessacery on many holes
Lots of steep ravines loaded with bushes and downed trees right off the holes and some fairways
No other courses nessacerily close by to hit after or before
Other Thoughts: NOT FOR BEGINNERS! If you're still learning how to control a disc's flight and learning what makes a disc do what it does, you will either lose plastic or spend A LOT of time searching. I personally loved this course, it can be unforgiving, but for what it is and where it's at, it's beautiful! I don't think I'll be making the drive to the coast just for the course again, but make sure to check it out if you're in the area cause it is definitely bound to be one of the best in oregon with some time and traffic to give it more open fairways and hazards.

Awesome!

2-4    8/5/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: kinfolkfan
Pros: This course is young and already has a great foundation for a epic disc golf experience. Wilder is one of the very few Oregon coast DGCs and has done a great job in setting the bar high. The signage is on point and accurate for the most part. The holes are fun and creative. This course really has a good variety of hole types as well. Baskets are marked with the next tee direction which makes navigating easier. The scenery is what makes this course shine, awesome mossy stumps and steep moss covered ravines, top notch location in my book.
Cons: This course is young and you could loose plastic if you are not careful. I would suggest beginners taking only putters so they can stay in the fairways...or not play the course at all. The ravines are steep and very dense in places. Trash cans need to be placed, as I could not carry all the trash I found out. Some tees and paths to tees put you blindly in front of another tee.. not huge deal, but could result in confusion or injuries.
Other Thoughts: This course is what RISK/REWARD is all about! Fun, Fun, Fun if you play smart. Not fun at all if you are gunning for the ace on every shot and not thinking about your surroundings. I LOVE this course and would love to have a course like it as my home course. This course will only get better with time and I can not wait. Way to go Wilder and yes you are Wilder than most. Cheers.

One of the hardest short courses I've played

1    7/13/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: hugheshilton
Pros: - Finally a course on the Oregon coast!
- Excellent tee signs
- Challenging
- Very technical with lots of finesse required
- Very woodsy feel, beautiful environment
Cons: - No cement tee pads. The current pads are gravel, which is not bad, but it's not as good as cement.
- Course needs to be beat in a bit. Also, it could use some work parties to clear away LOTS of fallen trees all over the fairways.
- Very easy to lose discs. Absolutely bring a spotter.
Other Thoughts: I played here by myself, which is a bad idea in retrospect. Probably half the tees are blind (you can't see the basket), and many have ravines and canyons lining or in the fairways. Most holes are relatively short (in the 225 - 300 foot range) and I could easily reach them distance-wise, but I found myself often throwing shorter shots that I could see land just to avoid losing discs. The ground is absolutely thick with stumps, old trees, ferns, etc. Between that and the canyons and blind tee pads, it's very easy to lose discs. If you're going to go for it on most of these holes, you must have at least one spotter. I spent probably an hour of my round looking for discs and still ended up losing one.

All of that said, I really enjoyed this course. It's beautiful with lots of elevation. It's requires lots of finesse, and rewards you for picking your lines carefully. I do wish I had had a spotter, because I could have gone for it on a lot more holes. It can be punishing because of the canyons and rough ground, but the trees and undergrowth aren't so thick that it's ridiculously hard to throw out of the rough like on some courses. Overall, this is a good course that should get better over time.

Not for first timers

1    4/25/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: xbombtrackx
Pros: Great for people who are pretty good
Cons: Bad for first timers
Other Thoughts: I really wanted to try Disc Golf and was super stoked to go play, this was the first course I played. This course is not beginner friendly. Gave it a 4 out of 5 for the people who are decent players. Wear Boots. Use bright colored discs.

Extreme!

1    5/18/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Ski'ndisc
Pros: Should be classified as "Extreme"
Great location! Coastal forest in a "very" natural setting.
Good layout, signage is excellent
Challenges you both physically and mentally.
Within a few miles of the Rogue Brewery!!
Will make you appreciate open flat courses!
Cons: Possibly a bit too challenging for many players, otherwise I would've rated it higher on the natural setting alone. Dense undergrowth, trees and numerous steep ravines make a spotter a must, and will test your physical condition.
By the end of the round you wont even consider what kind of disc or throw to make on a hole, you simply just want to make a throw that you can find easily!
This was our 5th course on tour of 10 Oregon courses and it was by far the most difficult and challenging. Being a relatively new player made this round very tough, but I believe most experienced players will be humbled here as well.
Tree's and blind shots are part of the game, but even with a good spotter it took a considerable amount of time to retreive and throw my next shot due to the nature of this course, not a quick round course!
If you want a unique playing experience in a very natural setting, Stop and Play this course! As all the previous posts have noted, you need to be in good shape, wear long pants, boots, bring bug spray and have a desire to be challenged to enjoy playing this course!
I consider myself and my spotter in "good" hiking condition and we were both exhausted by the time we finished.

What I expected from an Oregon Coast DIsc Disc Golf course

1    5/25/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: daveftn420
Pros: You need every shot on this beautiful course. Very peaceful and challenging. Coming from the Charlotte area, I am used to long up and down holes and this felt like Brackett's Bluff coastal to me.
Cons: Not enough people have used the course to beat down all of the rough. We spent too much time looking for discs that we knew where they went, but couldn't see.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to move back so I can hit this place up more! Rogue Brewery is right down the road for a break, finish or both

Good course

2-4    3/25/2013   3/31/2013
Review By: SpinDoctor
Pros: -Very challenging!
-Good baskets.
-Pretty good flow between holes.
-Good mix of forehand and backhand throws from the tees.
-No shortage of obstacles to throw around.
-Lots of elevation changes, from the tees and from approach shots.
Cons: -Fallen trees on #8 made it difficult to get to the basket, but made for a really cool ace run tee shot.
-Difficult course to traverse; you really need to be in shape.
Other Thoughts: I played 3 rounds with 5 people and none of us lost a disc. We did use spotters on several holes, and even then, had to spend several minutes looking for some throws that went off the main path.

Must've been high...

1    1/3/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: bschwitt
Pros: It's the first course on the Oregon Coast! The environment is amazing and beautiful. As someone who vacations here twice yearly at the least, a disc golf course is a welcome addition to the area. This course is an extreme challenge for being a par 3 with heavily dense trees and shrubs.

This is a true technical course, designed with finesse players in mind. You cannot just chuck a disc for distance and hope for the best and try for par or else you will lose you disc and possibly overshoot the target.
Cons: If I had not had a played with someone, I would have not had any of my discs by the time I exited the course. Each hole we spent about 10 minutes trying to find our disc per throw. The fairways are at best as wide as running trails... because that's what they are, when you are lucky. Other times, there is no fairway at all, just small patches of cleared land between large growths of fallen tress, blackberry thrones, and native brush.

You cannot play this course without a spotter unless you're looking to lose your discs. This disappoints me because I would like to be able to just go out and have a good time out there on my own and get to know the course.
Other Thoughts: Bring a med kit... my uncle fell in a hole that went up to his waste. I nearly fell down a ravine.

Wear full length pants and shirts, even if you're a precision thrower, you're going to need to trek across some sort of untamed fauna.

I've been learning to play and honing my skills on the Central Coast of California where the courses are generally more open, and even the courses with trees or parts of courses with trees still have open space. This course was definitely culture shock for me, and while it's cool and technical, for a power thrower like myself this course is hell. If you chuck one too far it'll get lost.

Fun but needs work

1    11/24/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: mopar
Pros: Good signage/easy course navigation
Quality Baskets
Decent Elevation Change
Numerous trees make for a variety of lines
Not crowded at all, out of the way
Rogue brewery and Distillery are 2 miles away
Fun times to be had :)
Cons: The number 1 con and the major issue is the underbrush; Dense salal and ferns and other plants require much clearing.
Wood chip tee pads with log edges...pretty uneven (a rake would have helped)
Some minor drainage issues with large puddles/standing water in the middle of the fairway in places, but this kind of thing is pretty common in Oregon.
Steep drop offs with dense brush can make retrieving discs from errant shots difficult at times.

Other Thoughts: This course has a ton of potential but there is no way it should be rated a 4 star course in its current state.
A cheap rake chained to the tee signs would have helped the woodchip teepads a lot.

The underbrush is simply to thick. I am one who likes trees and other obstacles, but dense underbrush (often in the fairway) is an issue.

This course could end up becoming similar to Hornings Hideout's Canyon Course. Other than 2 holes, the distances are all short similar to the canyon course. There is a decent amount of up and down elevation change and semi dense forested holes; also similar to the canyon course.

I don't know if there will ever be enough foot traffic to really clear the underbrush like it would need to be cleared in order to become a course of the canyon courses' quality however.

That underbrush will grow back on its own unless there is much more heavy equipment taken through the area to clear it...and with the ravines and sharp elevation changes that may not be possible. I'm worried that the terrain makes it difficult to improve further.

I had fun and the course has potential, but it leaves a lot to be desired in its current state.

I will play it again but I won't be making the hour drive from Corvallis to often.

rjnehmer

5+    11/11/2012   11/13/2012
Review By: rjnehmer
This review was updated on 11/16/2012
Pros: Truly a 'wild' experience. This course offers a setting that is unique to any Oregon disc golf course I've played. Hucking across ravines filled with hemlock, Sitka spruce, and carpets of moss hearkens many a 'Tolken moment' of reflection. Undoubtedly, it's a place where one takes their time because of the sheer rugged beauty of the place.
Cons: Not for beginners; very rough terrain (needs some trampling, but fairways are relatively open); use a spotter on most holes (disc loss factor can be high); if you're going to play a full round, plan on at least 2 hours.
Other Thoughts: This place is amazing!!! By the way, all the tee pads are currently graveled and wood chipped to perfection. No more mud bogging.