Newport, OR
Wilder DGC Share
Uploaded By: joy4all Hole #17 (Taken 11/2012)

Not for first timers

1    4/25/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: xbombtrackx
Pros: Great for people who are pretty good
Cons: Bad for first timers
Other Thoughts: I really wanted to try Disc Golf and was super stoked to go play, this was the first course I played. This course is not beginner friendly. Gave it a 4 out of 5 for the people who are decent players. Wear Boots. Use bright colored discs.

Extreme!

1    5/18/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Ski'ndisc
Pros: Should be classified as "Extreme"
Great location! Coastal forest in a "very" natural setting.
Good layout, signage is excellent
Challenges you both physically and mentally.
Within a few miles of the Rogue Brewery!!
Will make you appreciate open flat courses!
Cons: Possibly a bit too challenging for many players, otherwise I would've rated it higher on the natural setting alone. Dense undergrowth, trees and numerous steep ravines make a spotter a must, and will test your physical condition.
By the end of the round you wont even consider what kind of disc or throw to make on a hole, you simply just want to make a throw that you can find easily!
This was our 5th course on tour of 10 Oregon courses and it was by far the most difficult and challenging. Being a relatively new player made this round very tough, but I believe most experienced players will be humbled here as well.
Tree's and blind shots are part of the game, but even with a good spotter it took a considerable amount of time to retreive and throw my next shot due to the nature of this course, not a quick round course!
If you want a unique playing experience in a very natural setting, Stop and Play this course! As all the previous posts have noted, you need to be in good shape, wear long pants, boots, bring bug spray and have a desire to be challenged to enjoy playing this course!
I consider myself and my spotter in "good" hiking condition and we were both exhausted by the time we finished.

What I expected from an Oregon Coast DIsc Disc Golf course

1    5/25/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: daveftn420
Pros: You need every shot on this beautiful course. Very peaceful and challenging. Coming from the Charlotte area, I am used to long up and down holes and this felt like Brackett's Bluff coastal to me.
Cons: Not enough people have used the course to beat down all of the rough. We spent too much time looking for discs that we knew where they went, but couldn't see.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to move back so I can hit this place up more! Rogue Brewery is right down the road for a break, finish or both

Good course

2-4    3/25/2013   3/31/2013
Review By: SpinDoctor
Pros: -Very challenging!
-Good baskets.
-Pretty good flow between holes.
-Good mix of forehand and backhand throws from the tees.
-No shortage of obstacles to throw around.
-Lots of elevation changes, from the tees and from approach shots.
Cons: -Fallen trees on #8 made it difficult to get to the basket, but made for a really cool ace run tee shot.
-Difficult course to traverse; you really need to be in shape.
Other Thoughts: I played 3 rounds with 5 people and none of us lost a disc. We did use spotters on several holes, and even then, had to spend several minutes looking for some throws that went off the main path.

Must've been high...

1    1/3/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: bschwitt
Pros: It's the first course on the Oregon Coast! The environment is amazing and beautiful. As someone who vacations here twice yearly at the least, a disc golf course is a welcome addition to the area. This course is an extreme challenge for being a par 3 with heavily dense trees and shrubs.

This is a true technical course, designed with finesse players in mind. You cannot just chuck a disc for distance and hope for the best and try for par or else you will lose you disc and possibly overshoot the target.
Cons: If I had not had a played with someone, I would have not had any of my discs by the time I exited the course. Each hole we spent about 10 minutes trying to find our disc per throw. The fairways are at best as wide as running trails... because that's what they are, when you are lucky. Other times, there is no fairway at all, just small patches of cleared land between large growths of fallen tress, blackberry thrones, and native brush.

You cannot play this course without a spotter unless you're looking to lose your discs. This disappoints me because I would like to be able to just go out and have a good time out there on my own and get to know the course.
Other Thoughts: Bring a med kit... my uncle fell in a hole that went up to his waste. I nearly fell down a ravine.

Wear full length pants and shirts, even if you're a precision thrower, you're going to need to trek across some sort of untamed fauna.

I've been learning to play and honing my skills on the Central Coast of California where the courses are generally more open, and even the courses with trees or parts of courses with trees still have open space. This course was definitely culture shock for me, and while it's cool and technical, for a power thrower like myself this course is hell. If you chuck one too far it'll get lost.

Fun but needs work

1    11/24/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: mopar
Pros: Good signage/easy course navigation
Quality Baskets
Decent Elevation Change
Numerous trees make for a variety of lines
Not crowded at all, out of the way
Rogue brewery and Distillery are 2 miles away
Fun times to be had :)
Cons: The number 1 con and the major issue is the underbrush; Dense salal and ferns and other plants require much clearing.
Wood chip tee pads with log edges...pretty uneven (a rake would have helped)
Some minor drainage issues with large puddles/standing water in the middle of the fairway in places, but this kind of thing is pretty common in Oregon.
Steep drop offs with dense brush can make retrieving discs from errant shots difficult at times.

Other Thoughts: This course has a ton of potential but there is no way it should be rated a 4 star course in its current state.
A cheap rake chained to the tee signs would have helped the woodchip teepads a lot.

The underbrush is simply to thick. I am one who likes trees and other obstacles, but dense underbrush (often in the fairway) is an issue.

This course could end up becoming similar to Hornings Hideout's Canyon Course. Other than 2 holes, the distances are all short similar to the canyon course. There is a decent amount of up and down elevation change and semi dense forested holes; also similar to the canyon course.

I don't know if there will ever be enough foot traffic to really clear the underbrush like it would need to be cleared in order to become a course of the canyon courses' quality however.

That underbrush will grow back on its own unless there is much more heavy equipment taken through the area to clear it...and with the ravines and sharp elevation changes that may not be possible. I'm worried that the terrain makes it difficult to improve further.

I had fun and the course has potential, but it leaves a lot to be desired in its current state.

I will play it again but I won't be making the hour drive from Corvallis to often.

rjnehmer

5+    11/11/2012   11/13/2012
Review By: rjnehmer
This review was updated on 11/16/2012
Pros: Truly a 'wild' experience. This course offers a setting that is unique to any Oregon disc golf course I've played. Hucking across ravines filled with hemlock, Sitka spruce, and carpets of moss hearkens many a 'Tolken moment' of reflection. Undoubtedly, it's a place where one takes their time because of the sheer rugged beauty of the place.
Cons: Not for beginners; very rough terrain (needs some trampling, but fairways are relatively open); use a spotter on most holes (disc loss factor can be high); if you're going to play a full round, plan on at least 2 hours.
Other Thoughts: This place is amazing!!! By the way, all the tee pads are currently graveled and wood chipped to perfection. No more mud bogging.

Beautiful Course!

2-4    2/20/2015   11/10/2012
Review By: mbressler13
This review was updated on 3/4/2015
Pros: -Huge 18 hole course
-Beautiful scenery
-Nice and new baskets
-Quite a variety of different hole types
-Each hole has a plaque that shows what the hole is like, including some pretty creative names for the holes
Cons: -Tee boxes are still a work in progress (update). Still gravel tee pads but for what the course is, they are just fine.
-Wear some shoes that have grip cause its pretty hairy if your off the fairway
-Not for beginners
-Only bathroom is at the entrance
Other Thoughts: A group of 4 of us played this course at the end of October. Lets just say I am still dreaming about this course. It is very challenging for the beginner (me!). The people that have made this course have put a lot of time and effort into. There were many different places where they have put steps in to make it easier on the player to get to place to place. Make sure that you have at least one spotter. I really enjoyed the natural feel of this course. I have played this course 4 times now. Every time I go back there is more clearing done. Really beautiful course. Hopefully it keeps getting the attention that it deserves.

Epic Rustic

1    10/20/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: playr4jc
Pros: The scenery is amazing! Every hole forces you to shoot somewhere around a ravine or over crazy brush and thorny bushes, so you better have your technical game up to par :) Hole 9 is an amazing straight shot over a ravine where the basket sits on the side of a hill blocked by a tree.
Cons: Cons? Honestly just hole ten where we didn't heed the other person's reviews and overshot to the left. Yeah, we lost 2 disc there - even the machete we brought couldn't help us.
Other Thoughts: We went right after a spout of rain and wasn't too muddy, all the trees offer a decent protection. There aren't any trash cans, so pack it in and pack it out. OOOhh, and most importantly you should really print out the hole-by-hole description written by the other reviewer because the baskets aren't always easy to see/find. *I hope you find time to come out to this little gem hidden away.*

Wilder than most

1    10/14/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: Discbear
Pros: The Newport Oregon area was in great need of a course as there is not a course within 50 miles of there. The baskets are brand new, top quality. It's a very quiet course and we did not see another person. It's very clean. I saw only a few pieces of trash. I applaud the efforts of all involved here because an incredible amount of work has been done here, carving an 18 hole course out of dense forests and canyons. There are a few nice ace run holes. There is a good variety of long and short holes as well as left to right, right to left and some straight on throws.Wildlife is present. It is a work in progress and will continue to improve. My thanks to all those who sacrificed to make this course happen.
Cons: The course is currently in a very tough to play condition. I would say that a spotter or 2 is mandatory on most of the holes. Some of the holes require great imagination to create a fairway. Your risk of injury here is greater than at most courses as the footing is erratic with heavy undergrowth and holes, vines downed logs and ravines to negotiate. Also there will be a some slippage on muddy tee areas wet logs and steep canyon lies in the long rainy season. There is a type of thorny plant present there that I am unfamiliar with,but you will find it. You will probably fall or trip somewhere on the course. A few of the tee pads are currently a little tough to find but at least when you find them they are numbered. The wind can be a monster on some of the more exposed holes, but you can make that a fun challenge.
Other Thoughts: The course will certainly get a lot better as more work is done and as more players establish paths and tromp down the brambles and vines. If you are brave enough to play it solo and throw honest golf shots, you have my personal guarantee that you will lose at least one disc and maybe even ten of them. May the Oregon coast establish more disc golf courses, maybe even at the abandoned Neskowin golf course.