Bainbridge, OH

Nice course off US 50

5+    10/10/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: LightsOut
This review was updated on 8/3/2015
Pros: One notable thing about the course is its protection from the elements. Nestled among mature woods in an Ohio State Park, Pike Lake plays to either side of the park road in a valley and also into the protective hills that line both sides. There are creeks, ravines, and elevation variations tee to basket that can be slick when wet but are generally protected from all but strong winds. I've played the course about 5-6 times and would say it's a favorite of mine.

Play is generally below the mature canopy growth and is just a good ole trek though the woods. The shade cuts down on the thickness of the undergrowth so you can generally find your discs. It's also a hike with a couple huff and puff elevation changes to get your aerobics in, but nothing too demanding. There are a few well-placed anchored steps and bridges that may be slick when wet but are a vast improvement to having to trek the same as dirt paths and down into creeks when wet.

There is ample parking, and a park store that has food, refreshments, discs and scorecards. Navigation is fairly straightforward but it's nice to have the scorecard to get from #10 basket to #11 tee. The tee pads are concrete and might be short for some. All the holes have nice placards but information may vary from the scorecard's listing on distances and par. The front and back nines both begin and end near the parking.
Cons: Footing in many places can be deceptive as play goes across many dry (usually dry) creek beds. There seem to be brick to loaf of bread size rocks well out of the creek beds popping out across the course at every turn, so pay attention where you're stepping. I've also played Pike Lake with the creeks raging with the real chance of loosing discs and going down stream personally 200-300ft while trying to get your footing if you fell in.
Other Thoughts: This review comes after playing on a beautiful dry fall afternoon in the low 70's.
There is a picnic awning with playground and primitive toilets all near the begin/end parking area. Pike Lake itself is small but they have boat rental and a beach as well as camping nearby.
Bainbridge is in beautiful Paint Valley that is the western edge of Appalachia and 70 miles or so east of Cincinnati, 20 miles west of Chillicothe on US 50. Pike Lake is about 6 south of Bainbridge. You might want to also take in Rocky Fork South Beach Course about 20 west of Pike. Paint Creek State Park is expanding their disc course (from 21 to 24 holes in 2015) near the campground. Paint Creek is roughly between Pike Lake and Rocky Fork also not far off US 50. Paint Creek has matured and now makes this region worth making a day of it.

Carolina-style Disc Golf in the North

1    8/10/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Plenty of elevation change, plenty of different shots to throw. Nothing really wide open -- if you're going to throw a big drive, you'd better be able to control it. Pike Lake is a course that makes you control where the disc is going -- or be able to get out of trouble when you find it (which you will). Easy to navigate with a couple of exceptions (noted below).

Absolutely beautiful park with plenty to do if you're camping here. The general store has an impressive selection of discs available, including Vibram and Lat 64 (if I'd had the money, I'd have left there with a River at the very least), plus minis, bags, and Golden Retrievers. Prices are a bit higher than you'll find online, but that's to be expected.

Editing because I forgot to mention -- the front nine ends back at the parking lot, so you can either play 9 or 18, and you can start on either the front or back nine. MAJOR plus in my book.
Cons: If it's rained recently (as in, in the last three or four days), the course will be muddy. When wet, the tee pads can be a bit slick, and the wooden stairs that have been VERY thoughtfully provided can be a little slick, too. There are shingles nailed down to help you out, but the ONE HOLE (#7) that didn't have shingles on the wood is the one I slipped and fell on -- just be advised on this, this doesn't take away from the course at all; the course can't help it that I was a klutz.

Had a problem between #10 and #11 -- somehow I ended up playing #13 and skipping 11 and 12 entirely. I realized it when I got to the 14th tee, and went back and corrected this error, but a next tee sign would have been helpful (if there is one, I didn't see it). Had I not seen the 13th tee, I would have checked my map and probably have been ok -- just make sure you're on the right hole after you play 10 and you'll be ok.

The short tees are not concrete, and are often hard to find (even though they're labeled on the tee signs). I had already decided to try the blue tees, but for someone wanting to play the shorter tees this could be an issue.

I thought that #8 was a dangerous hole. It plays along a park road, which in itself isn't really an issue; I've played courses with holes along park roads before. If you look at the tee sign and the hole layout, though, the road runs through the fairway, pretty much all the way to the basket. I hate to complain about the hole (especially since I birdied it), but there's got to be a better way.
Other Thoughts: After over a year of playing disc golf, I FINALLY play a course in my home state. I'm glad I chose Pike Lake -- the layout, the use of elevation, and the number of trees really reminded me of Reedy Creek at times (though Reedy Creek has better-defined fairways than Pike Lake). The course is a LOT of fun, and can be pretty challenging - especially to beginners. This course may be enough to actually get me to camp.

Nice course

2-4    7/11/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: Johnny Conservative
Pros: The course is set in a beautiful setting in Pike Lake State Park. There are great elevation changes in the course also. I feel that it is just difficult enough for experienced players but not too tough that a novice would not enjoy the course. The day I played it was VERY hot. But the shade of the mature trees kept some of the heat off of me.
Cons: The tee pads are not as good as some that I have seen at other courses. The shorter tee (on the holes that you can actually find them) are too drastic a change from the long tees in my opinion. The baskets can be difficult to spot. There is some orange reflective tape on the pole but it is still sometimes hard to find. The baskets are not numbered either. Lastly, this course design is geared more toward lefties. I counted 8 of the 18 baskets more suited for LHBH or RHFH players.
Other Thoughts: Everything considered, I think that this course, with a few improvements to the baskets, would be a great course.

Pike Lake

1    3/8/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: Kent18
Pros: 1) Pike Lake is a beautiful Ohio state park course. The layout takes advantage of the many hills, streams and scenery of the area. The park itself was well kept and clean.
2) Holes have great use of elevation. I was worried when I did my research that this course's short length may leave me disappointed in having too many easy birdie holes but I have never had to fight so hard to get par on so many of the holes here.
3) Great signature hole 12. Plays off a platform midway up the mountain to a huge downhill "gully" dogleg right, over 500 feet. Hole 15 is pretty good too.
4) Tee signs are basic and durable (some tee signs are just a mess these days) and present on every hole.
5) Benches are placed throughout the course.
6) I can't imagine this course gets backed up at all except in tournaments?
7) ALL the LONG TEES have concrete (they look freshly poured?) Others have said only some were present but I counted 18 concrete tee pads.
8) Restrooms were clean.
Cons: 1) Tee Pads from the SHORT locations are either A) in bad condition and mostly made of gravel B) a simple log that says short tee C) non-existent D )when they are placed; their locations make each hole significantly easier. The designer probably had in mind the very causal family player here for just a weekend?
2) The concrete tees from the LONG PADS were short in actual size and sometimes "trapezoid" shaped versus a true rectangle. (I guess minimal environment footprint was the idea here?) I didn't need the extra step on my drives but my friends did. I was just happy a State park had concrete tees.
3) Of any course I have ever played this is the most Lefty or LHBT friendly course ever. With at least 7, I believe 9 holes that have tough dogleg rights and maybe 2 that were dogleg lefts it kind of felt unbalanced. It was great to throw tons of forehand throws but a LHBT would have higher percentage on some of those holes for birdies that would just take a killer forehand to mimic.
4) There is no posted OB that on at least 3 of the holes (2 with roads, 1 with a creek) I believe would make those holes so much more interesting if there was OB posted beyond those markers.
5) I know some people like the long country Amish drives but this place is another one of those courses that is like 35 minutes from any reputable highway and at least 20 minutes from your local convenience store.
6) Trash cans were sparse on the course.
7) Hole 10 to hole 11 is tricky to find
Other Thoughts: Pike Lake is a great course. I would recommend this course and venture to say its in the top ten of all of Ohio. Each hole has a great fun factor and feels different then the other state park wooded courses I have played. It is a hike to get there but definitely has the grounds to be a great disc golf camping destination.

Great And Fun Course

1    8/7/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: Ben17
Pros: This course is just great but fun at the same time. It is located in a nice state park that gets alot of people. So far all of the courses that i have played in state parks are nothing but pure fun. This course was amazing, starting with the first hole and ending with the last. I have no idea where to begin, this course just has too many good things. Well might as well start with the sign at the tee. The sign shows exactly where the pins location is. Some courses that i have played dont show the location so you have to look all over for it. That is definately not the case here. Then they show the par like most courses. Then they give the distance. Also on there thay have the red tee placement. This is good so that if your playing from the red tee you know exactly where to throw from. Well that brings me to the multiple tees that they have. The red tee is nice so that if you are less expierenced you can just throw from there. If you are more expierenced you may throw from the blue tee. The one main thing i liked was how they had an orange sticker on the inside part of the pin. That made it easier to see when you got into very wooded areas. This is not a too challenging course. Some holes are a little bit harder while others are easier. This is the case at most courses. The one thing that i like most is the concrete launch pad. Not every hole has a concrete launch pad, but for the most part they do have them. Even when they dont have one they will have rocks down so that it is easy to throw on. It is very easy to navigate your way through this course. As i always do when i go to a new course. But that really is not needed here. The vegitation is nice here. They have got alot of it. Many courses dont but this one really does. The elevation changes are great. Not every course has them, but this one really does. The parking lot is right by the first hole and the last, so that at the end when your tired you can just go straight to your car. The shelter and the water fountain in between the first and the last hole is nice. This course is well taken care of. There are no big tree limbs hanging out in the middle of the fairway. It is very clean throughout the course. Also on the holes with grass as the fairway, the grass is cut neatly and very often. Not two holes are the same. By this i mean every hole is different. There are no two holes that are exactly alike. They all challenge you in a new and different way. Wow well it made me tired thinking of all the pros for this course, so it must be easy for the little amount of cons that we will have.
Cons: Well where better to start than the launch pads. Not every hole has a concrete launch pad, so it can be different. This really didn't effect me, but others it might. On the sides of the holes that are deeply wooded there are just long leaves. This makes it somewhat hard to get through there to find your disc. None of the pins have a number on them representing what hole the pin goes to. There is water in play on many holes. Good thing that when i went there had not been rain in a while. So if you go right after it rains you better be very careful. Well i really cant think of anything else bad to say about this course, it is just a great and fun course.
Other Thoughts: Well what a course this is. I live a couple hours away from this course. I will be back within a few months. Hey while i was there i lost a couple of discs. I lost an innova orange champion beast and an innova pink dx eagle. I lost both of them on the seventh hole here. I was just throwing all of my discs trying to ace it and it was getting dark so i just left them. So if you find them could you just contact me. Well now lets get back to the actual course. Hole #7 was my favorite. You drop about seventy-five feet. It really is an amazing hole. I bet it has been aced many times. So i hope you enjoy this course as much as i did. Like i had said earlier i will be back soon and i hope to see all of you there too.

Pike is a Short Nature Hike

1    5/3/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: Primarily wooded course in a clean State Park far away from civilization. The course plays short but makes up for that in technical challenges that include woods, streams and elevation. The woods play fair and if you get a high score its most likely thrower error. The shallow streams come into play off the tee and around baskets on 7 holes, most notably #15 where the entire fairway is basically a drive over the water. Not deep water but wider than a creek and healthy so disc loss is not an issue but challenge and beauty apparent. (might dry up in a drought) The elevation holes were the most enjoyable with #3 being a straight up drive over the stream and #7 being a drop in floater back down steeply for a fun ace run over the stream. #14 was also special, a right turning downhill to a basket nestled away with a huge bank rising to the right of the hole to gobble up my too tight anny. The first 2 holes are quality drives through trees with only grass below, no schule, and incorporate the stream to the right. There are a couple longer holes in the woods that will test your ability to keep it straight. Seems a safe park and definetely has a lot of natural beauty. Concrete tees on the base holes were nice.Course opens with 2 non woods holes and finishes with 3 non woods holes so you get a break from the schule. Course loops back to lot and bathrooms well. Water available.
Cons: I don't think this is quite destination disc golf for a few reasons. It doesn't have much length so weaker armed or beginners may enjoy the course moreso than those seeking a longer test of skills. While half of the holes are either challenging or aesthetically pleasing...the others seem to be just ordinary holes. Not bad holes but not truly special. I was expecting a bit more based on the 4+ rating. #8 simply plays down the street...challenging oob yes but with all this nature, water and hills I end up driving down an access road..pffft. The course ends very weakly with 16-18 being very short holes you could find in 9/10 of the parks in America. Don't get me wrong it's a fun little course but think of it as 8-10 good holes linked by a bunch of average holes. I also got mauled by insects. I was actually amazed by how much life was in this environment.
Other Thoughts: I love a course thats fun and has some cool shots. This course provided that for me. I also enjoy ace runs and there are those here as well. Rumor is 9 more holes will be added. If these are good holes I would imagine it would be worth the long trip out here for a round.

Love the woods!!!

1    4/15/2010   4/16/2010
Review By: Chainchaser
This review was updated on 4/17/2010
Pros: This is a wooded course!!!!but with defined fairways and accuracy is needed here more than distance.
Very challenging with some good elevation changes and water hazards. This is a very scenic course in the middle of no where. Leave your cell phones in the car because they won't work!!
This course has some cement tees. Probably 70% of the course.
It has some long and short tees.
Great baskets that all were in great shape.
Not very busy. We only saw a few other people there for the three days we were there.
You can stay in a cottage for 60$ a night for an economy or 80$ a night for a preferred. The course is within walking distance from a few cottages and the camp ground.
Cons: If you don't like wooded courses don't go here. It is not for you. Some dirt tees that could be slippery in the rain.
Could lose some disc when the foliage comes in.
These really are not cons but more just things to be aware of
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course. It was maybe just a bit more challenging than my experience level but that takes nothing away from this course. Although some holes where short the trees made it very challenging. If you need to beat in a disc this is the place to go. This a disc golfers dream if you like a wooded course.

Love this course

2-4    9/9/2008   10/9/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Great Variety of shots
Good for Beginners and Experienced players
Nice Park
Well Maintained Course
Not overcrowded
Cons: I don't consider this a Con although some people might . The course is almost entirely wooded

At certain times of the year you can be overrun by insects

Easy to lose discs
Other Thoughts: This course is just about neck and neck with Brett Hambric as my favorite Ohio Course. Almost Entirely wooded, it can be dangerous navigating some of the terrain especially after it rains. It has a great mix of shots and is challengeing but not frustrating. If you are within driving distance of this course then it's a definite must play.

One of my favorites!

2-4    8/3/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: Dunksmooth
This review was updated on 8/30/2009
Pros: The park itself seems to be well maintained and clean. There are one or two restrooms and several trash containers.
The course is very well laid out: Open fairways, rolling hills, light to heavily wooded holes, challenging elevation changes, majestic downhill drives, water hazards, etc. Name it, this course has it. Every hole seems unique and well thought out. No wasted space or "filler" holes.
The parks department has installed lots of footbridges and stairways to make the course safe and direction signs are conveniently placed to make the course easily navigatable.
Cons: Lots of work needs to be done to improve the tee pads. Most, if not all, are either gravel or dirt and can make for unstable footing.
Several amateur tees are either unmarked or non-existant.
May want to skip if it has recently rained - standing water and mud not uncommon.
Other Thoughts: A very active and safe park. Rangers patrol the area regularly and there is a campgrounds and park nearby...neither of which interfere in any way with the course.

Love it

5+    6/8/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: roadtripstuff
This review was updated on 5/22/2011
Great Layout
Heavily Wooded But Defined Fairways
Beautiful Scenery
Amazing Elevation Changes
Great Water Hazards (Disc Are Retreivable)
Very Well-Maintained
Great Tee Signs
Concrete Tees On Many Holes
Benches Throughout the Course
Ample Parking
Short Tees Could Use Work (Natural/Hard to Find)
Navigation Can Be Tough For First Timers
Discs Can Get Lost in the Rough
Tee Signs Have Been Vandalized
Pike Lake DGC is a beautiful and challenging course in southern Ohio. The course is more for the intermediate to advance player. While a majority of the holes are on the rather short side, the are also heavily wooded which adds a lot of extra challenge.

The only real downside to this course is it can be pretty tough to navigate on your first trip here. Be sure to stop by the park store and pick up and map and scorecard. The also have a nice selection of discs, beverages, and snacks available for purchase. If you have any questions feel free to ask the folks at the store, they love having the course there and can be very helpful.

This course, besides being in a very wooded area, has many other challenges as well. There is a small creek that runs the length of the course. It can come into play on a few holes, and during certain times of the year can have a good amount of water and can be rushing pretty steadily. Another great obstacle to over come are the awesome elevation changes. The first real nice elevation change is on hole #3. You throw through the woods, over a small stream and then up a pretty steep hill, at the very least about a 50ft bank, miss the top and you can really pay for it here.

The elevation changes continue throughout the course and provide each golfer with a good work out. Be sure you are prepared, bring plenty of beverages and wear comfortable shoes with good traction, no flip flops here.

Overall I think that anyone who loves disc golf will love this course. Even if you are having an awful round the surroundings are amazing. Its very peaceful and quiet and every time I have played it, we were the only people on the course. The location can be a bit out of the way for most, but well worth the drive. If you have a couple days there is camping and cabins nearby. There are two pretty good courses within a 40 minute drive in Great Seal, and Rocky Fork DGC. I would recommend any of these course to anyone looking for a challenge, but Pike Lake is by far the best in my opinion.