Layout Extinct

Arvada, CO
Johnny Roberts DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #15 (Taken 8/2008)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I really wanted to like this course....

5+    8/30/2013   8/30/2013
Review By: OG Neal
This review was updated on 9/10/2013
Pros: -If you can throw over 200, it's pretty much all ace runs.
-Tee pads, multiple basket locations, and tee signs on most holes.
-It's a nice park.
Cons: -Locals are not very inviting or friendly
-The holes are all short and easy to approach.
-The other golfers there are rude. Who walks around a course with a radio blaring? I helped one guy with his disc and he walked over mine without saying a word. You're welcome.
-You won't want to putt most holes as water pools around the base of baskets because of poor irrigation.
-Way too may people. This is not a place to have a course.
Other Thoughts: Just because Steady Ed designed this course doesn't mean he put any time or effort into it. Very clique-ish atmosphere takes away from the aesthetic.

Cool Course vs. Crowded Park

1    7/16/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Design - Steady Ed was on to something. Johnny Roberts is a very well-designed course that plays alongside, and occsional over, a meandering creek. While it wasn't necessarily long, the variety of shots required was great. Lots of midrange work to be enjoyed at the course. Occasional blind shots, but scouting is not too difficult.

Park - The park was very neat and well-kept. Some guys were selling discs out of their trunk near #1 and #18. Landscaping was good. Creek was beautiful.

Tee Signs - some of the best tee signs I have ever seen. They were informative and accurate. No guesswork required and this was the main reason that scouting was so easy. You may have to walk about 25-30 feet up the fairway to get a "visual" of the basket if you like, but you at least know where you should be looking.
Cons: Too Many Bystanders - This is the biggest "con" and it really isn't close. The walking trails were full of folks and many of the holes border or traverse these trails. We waited at one hole for nearly 5 minutes while two small girls (around age 4) played around a sign on the path that read "Watch out for Disc Golfers" Eventually their mother came and they moved on and my tee shot clanged into that very sign as they were about 30 feet away...they all looked back at us shocked. Oh well, the sign was in the middle of the fairway, so I didn't feel that bad about hitting it.

Too Many Other Players - Arvada is a cool little town, and I can see why disc golf is popular there. However, it's really hard to enjoy a round when there are players on every tee pad with others waiting. There were also far more "one-disc wonders" than I have ever seen on a course. My friends and I decided we were going to let the guy behind us play through, as he was just chucking a disc and had a girl with him who wasn't playing. Well we waited for him at the next tee, but he never came. He simply decided to hop around to other holes that happened to be vacant.

Lack of Etiquette - There were a lot of recreational/newbies on the course who ended up in the creek on nearly every shot. Since the couse is "tight" and not a lot of land was available, they should all simply stand off the fairway while one looks for or retrieves their disc. But this is definitely not the case at JR. Multiple times, there were groups standing in the fairway, occasionally telling us to go ahead and tee off...while they are still standing and jumping around in the fairway.

Other Thoughts: Johnny Roberts is definitely a cool course, and I enjoyed it despite all of the other "distractions". However, we were told by some folks "in the know" that the course is likely to be pulled in the near future. I wish I could say that this historical course should be fought for by all disc golfers everywhere as a means of preserving a great Steady Ed design...but it is dangerous for other park patrons. That's just the simple truth of the matter. I am very glad I had the opportunity to play it, and if I am in Denver and it's still open, I will gladly play it again.

#8 is currently pulled, but we knew that going in, so no need to list that as a "con". Just thought it should be mentioned.

Disc retrieval from the creek is very possible. However, please be smart and look carefully at the best way to get down into the creek. There are some slippery slopes down the steep banks. Use caution.

I think the course design at Johnny Roberts is deserving of a 3.5, but I feel it's necessary to factor in the inherent danger and distractions caused by the many people in the park. It is definitely a good course and one that should be played if you have opportunity. Just be aware of the potential issues going into your round and try not to get frustrated.

Keep Discin'

5+    7/23/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: player7217
Pros: Great course in the middle of a big park with mostly all grass. Can work on your technical shots and bring different discs out of your bag. Lots of shade on course due to all of the trees and it stays pretty cool with the creek running through the course.
Cons: Will get very crowded when people begin to get off work and on weekends. Even during the day there will be a lot of people. No signs to tell you where to go for the next holes although it is manageable for first time players. The creek can get deep in spots and you wont even be able to tell the difference until you are neck deep in it. Don't play after a big rainstorm because the creek is flowing so hard in some spots that you will have a hard time finding your disc. Hole number 8 has been taken out due to people throwing discs and damaging cars and houses.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses that I have played and I can say that it can be challenging to both new and long time throwers. I try to play in the early mornings due to the crowd that begins to form later in the day. If you get a chance go throw this course and I promise that you wont be disappointed.

2-4    7/18/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Excellent park style course designed by the legendary Steady Ed that plays across lush green fairways, around several mature trees and along a scenic creek that comes into play on many holes. The concrete tees are very nice and most are attached to the paved walkway. Excellent baskets in good shape and catch very well. The tee signs are very informative with hole map + an actual photo showing each of the possible pin placements (same style found at Beaver Ranch and I think are the model for what a tee sign should be.)

The course is superbly designed, as one might expect from Steady Ed, making the most of the land and natural obstacles. There are holes of varying lengths, some wide open, others more narrow, every basket is strategically placed for risk/reward, a straight shot is best, but there are places where a left or right shot can improve you score by a shot, and it is a good test of distance control as many times you do not want to run too far past the hole. The creek that runs through the middle of the course is a disc funnel (not a matter of if you will throw in the creek, but when and how often!) It is pretty shallow and clear so you have a good chance of retrieving your disc.

I love playing courses like this- it is so much fun and in a beautiful setting. This was the only course during my week in Denver that I went back and played on a different day.
Cons: This course seems to always be very crowded (understandable). The downside is there is the constant fear of people throwing into you. The negative to the creek is that everyone is landing discs in there and then looking for discs on most holes, so things get backed up, or people are just standing in the fairways waiting on others to find their disc. We were told several times just to go ahead and throw despite the fact they were in our line of fire (we politely refused until they moved, but this just backed things up more.)

Also, there is a walkway that borders or cuts across many holes. Many people use it and there are lots of little kids, strollers, etc. so you often have to wait a long time to be able to throw without a chance of hitting somebody.

The course was missing hole 8, not sure why, I knew that going in so not a huge deal.
Other Thoughts: I heard from several people in the know in Denver that there was a good chance this course may be pulled soon for forever which would be a big time shame- as it interferes with the walking trail coupled with the large number of people I witnessed playing that seemed clueless about how dangerous a disc can be it is no wonder people are complaining. Which is too bad because it truly is a great course. I am glad I got a chance to play here.

If you are in the Denver area and need a break from the higher elevation hilly mountain courses like Phantom Falls you will want to check this one out for sure before it goes away. I recommend avoiding weekends and late afternoons (though it was still surprisingly busy on a weekday morning.)

Not a bad course to play on vacation

1    9/17/2012   7/17/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
This review was updated on 7/31/2013
Pros: Pretty easy to navigate - somewhat challenging - good variety of shots used - nice tee signs - water holes that offer OB, without necessarily loosing your disc - restrooms

This course is in a nice, clean, well maintained with plenty of challenging shots once you factor all the OB into play. It is not an epic course that is tough to play, so we enjoyed a quick round before moving on to another local course. Lots of stuff to do in the area if you're just visiting. Lots of locals to point you in the right direction if you need some help. Seems to be a very popular course as it is in the city.
Cons: Crowded park & course - lots of pedestrians - some holes seem to criss cross, so watch out or errant throws

There was quite a bit of non-disc golf traffic in the park as well as numerous holes that had potential for hitting someone on another hole
Other Thoughts: There were a couple tee signs missing when we played, so we got a little turned around, but i'm sure that is just a temporary issue.

OK...

1    5/23/2013   5/25/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Water in play on 12 out of 18 holes, but no real danger of losing a disc

Challenging without being brutal.

Concrete tees, multiple pin positions, port-a-pots on site, etc. All the basic amenities for a course you'd want to play repeatedly.

Fun! This is often an overlooked part of reviewing a course (imho) but I left wishing I had time to play another round here.
Cons: Fairly tight layouts, with a couple holes playing directly over another basket, and a couple more play over sidewalks.

Even at 10am on a weekday there was a bit of traffic through this park, so I can understand where other reviewers worry about traffic here. It was busier than some Ohio course are on the weekend!

Missing the 8th pin. I'm not sure if this got stolen or permanently pulled due to the way 8 plays over the 7th fairway. Either way, I'd have liked to have played 8.
Other Thoughts: On the advice of the fine people over at Phenix I played Johnny Roberts, and I'm glad I did. While the course is short and not very terribly challenging (I shot 4 over pro par my first time through) it does force you to think and hit specific lines. Additionally, with many pins perched on the edge of the shallow creek running through the park you really have to have confidence in your driving game to be aggressive going after 2's. This was a different style of course compared to what I'd played previously. In Ohio or Michigan a "technical" course is usually one that plays through tightly wooded fairways. Johnny Roberts requires similar precision, but uses strategically placed trees, other fairways, and a small creek to force lines. It's no less effective, and is significantly more fun to play, as errant shots tend to still be in play as opposed to buried in the woods. With fewer obstacles and vertical limits I was able to be more creative in my line shaping. This is any easy course to post 3's on every hole, but you will risk bogeys if you want to take a shot at birdie on many holes. Overall a nice city course that I'd play again.

Very Tight

2-4    1/9/2013   1/13/2013
Review By: RibDaddy
Pros: I am told this is a Classic Course and it has some very fun shots. They have done a very good job of putting 18 holes in such a tight space. Nice Park
Cons: This course gets extreme use and lots of traffic from walkers and bikers. #8 is no longer in play.

The Grand Dame of Metro Denver

2-4    12/23/2012   12/24/2012
Review By: Shmacka
Pros: Tucked away in a little valley, lack of wind when most other area courses were being crushed by gusts up to 35 mph.

Really pretty, neighborhood setting.

Lots of use, but DG is acknowledged and respected. Course is maintained well, park users are respectful and aware of one another. Very cool vibe given the high usage.

You gotta be on your techinical game, there's a lot to get caught up in if you are not paying attention.

Muskrat swims around the creek by hole 8.
Cons: High usage might be a pain (not for me, playing solo, today)

Location in a valley impedes snow melt. It was wet and sloppy today.
I was a schlub, today, and got a disc lost under the ice in the creek (?@#$#@!!!), and another wedged tight in a tree. I got a mild soaker, and had to climb a bit to where I could shake my disc free. Mighty embarrassing in front of all the locals (who were kind enough to ignore my folly).

I picked up a beat-on old Banshee in the snow. Two names written, but no phone. If you want it back, let me know your name. It makes a pretty good putter...

Tourneylicious!

2-4    12/8/2012   12/10/2012
Review By: AndyJB
Pros: ---Awesome tee signs that show all possible positions as well as a "from the teepad" photo that gives you the lay of the land
---Intuitive layout that makes it very easy to follow
---Good selection of shots, with no real wide open bombers, so you have to put your skills on point
---Creek down the middle provides a good challenge as well as "risk vs. reward" shots, without being too intrusive or too hardcore so as to take your discs
---Famous course in the middle of downtown Arvada...other courses nearby as well as some fabulous adult beverage-serving establishments
Cons: ---It's in a public park, it's a famous course; it gets crowded early and often, no matter the season, with DGers and Walkers alike (please be respectful)
---Upkeep is somewhat lacking. The baskets and teepads (what teepads there are) are still pretty good, but there is lots of little bits of trash i.e. cigarette butts
---Short course. No need to bring a distance driver. A good fairway and some mids will suffice
---Hole 8 no longer exists...not sure why, but it's not there so don't bother looking
Other Thoughts: A classic CO course, it's a course that really must be played for completions sake. Johnny Roberts' huge, boisterous personality infects the place (in a good way) and you won't find any bad vibes here. It's pretty hard not to have fun, no matter your skill level.

Tournaments are frequently played here, as well as weekly tags, so it would be a good idea to double-check what's going on before heading to Johnny. We did a tournament there last Saturday with 110 players and the place was packed. A few non-tourney players showed up and politely waited until we finished to begin their round...like I said, very positive vibes here.

I almost rated this a 3, but the good feelings and the fun factor raise it up a half point.

Nice Course in the midst of the Masses

1    9/13/2012   9/13/2012
Review By: little oz
Pros: The course has some great lines you need to hit to stay out of the creek. The creek is a positive in my book, as some shots i kind of puckered while my disc was in flight. Hole #2 and #15 were my favorites (basket within a few feet of the water, and i parked #15!). Plenty of grass and shade for hot days. Also has some of the best course signage i've seen. Being a Steady Ed course adds an aura to it. Locals were cool and let me play through on my solo round with no hassle.
Cons: crossing fairways, as mentioned in other reviews. The course has a success problem in that it's a fine course and a lot of people want to play it. It was even crowded (but not insane) on a Thursday at noon. It's packed in to a pretty small parcel so heads up.
Other Thoughts: When i pulled up to the course, i was disappointed how compact the layout was, but the quality of the design quickly put that to rest. I thought it might be a historical course that wasn't all that (see Huntington Beach), so i'm glad it was a nice challenge. Police were given a guy a ticket on #1 for not having his dog on a leash. Bummed the mini-ramps aren't at the skatepark anymore.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9