Layout Extinct

Arvada, CO
Johnny Roberts DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #18 (Taken 8/2008)

Old Course For a Reason

5+    5/6/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: 14erDisc
Pros: This is one of Colorado's oldest courses for a reason. While you may not need to throw any bombs here, you will be required to throw every shot in your bag with a great deal of accuracy. Fairly long s-curves, hyzer, anhyzer, short finesse holes, and multiple chances for an ace. There is a river that comes into play on nearly every hole, making the course all that much harder and more interesting. You basically start on one side of the creek, play down the creek, and play back on the other side of the creek. There are also multiple pin placements, so those who frequent the course get a good amount of different looks. This course will certainly help you mid-to-long range game, and the river makes sure you have quality touch and accuracy on every shot.
Cons: This is a very crowded park in two ways. First, there are almost always multiple groups in front of you. I have been there on a Wednesday afternoon and been help up by multiple groups of four. Secondly, the park is visited by an absurd amount of bikers, people walking dogs, runners, etc. Since one path runs through holes 1-8, expect some delays here.
Other Thoughts: This is certainly one of the busiest courses I go to, but the shot selection keeps me coming back every once in a while.

Good ol J.R

5+    4/8/2011   4/14/2011
Review By: 303dubreggae
Pros: The river basically makes this course anything besides an ace race. Have to be very accurate to score well on this course, some fun holes.
Cons: If you have played this course you know you are going to spend more time waiting then throwing. Too many peds in the park, too many people digging in the river for their disc. fairways cross all over so getting hit by a disc is more than possible. i dont think any of these things add up to a good time at all. Not the best course in Arvada!
Other Thoughts: If you want to get out and play a little disc then this will do just fine, a nice place to learn how to play if you stay out of the river as most holes are short, and a backup place to play if the weather is bad as it is pretty sheltered. If you lose a disc just go back the next day and some guy will be selling it in the parking lot for $5

What a GREAT PLACE

5+    4/8/2011   4/9/2011
Review By: Jonnysweetness
Pros: The community for starts. I had the pleasure of walking the course with the Colorado PDGA coordinator while I had my first round on Friday. The conclusion of my day was with a mixed, random draw, doubles tournament. Everyone in the park that day was very polite and helpful with pin positions, next tee locations, and strats for each basket.

The course itself was very well laid out stretching from one end of the park to the other. Great usage of tree, hills, and of course, the river.

This is a very technical course. Although each hole was shorter than expected that didn't take away from its difficulty. The positions I played had most of the baskets dangerously close to the river. Many shots offered multiple angles of attack, which I truly enjoyed.

I had the pleasure of playing 4 rounds back to back followed by the doubles mix at the conclusion of my day.

The tee pads were all concrete which are a personal favorite of mine, except for the last hole (not 18, i'll explain later). An easy standing shot so no run up required. All of the tees were accompanied by beautiful signs, showing current tee location, subsiquent tee locations, pin positions, distances, and a photo of what the shot looks like from the tee box with the letters A, B, and or C superimposed over it to give even the most novice of thrower a complete layout of the shot infront of them (sentense structure?). This was a first for me in all of my disc golf adventures and I must say that it was simply perfect.

There is a public lot butted up against the edge of the park that has ample parking even when it was crowded.

I played a day before a local "Spring Fling" tournament, so the course masters had everything in tip top shape. Some shots required double mandos, which were clearly marked, making for some interesting shots.

Simply a great course.
Cons: Very few cons come to mind.

First, the baskets are very old and out dated. I did hear talk of upgrades to MACH baskets in the future, that would benefit the course substantially.

The layout I played had every pin in the short position. I never needed to grab a disc bigger than a Buzzz except for one shot that required a long anhyzer, Avenger SS. I wouldn't call this a "con" but maybe throw some of the baskets into the C locations. This also could have been because of the tournament, maybe they wanted to change the morning of so everyone would have a fresh start, or because the A pins required pin point accuracy to avoid trees and water.

Only 1 practice basket. Got pretty crowded.

Still, a great course
Other Thoughts: Basket #8 was removed due to some stupid golfers climbing on the roofs of residential housing to retrieve discs......seriously people, don't be dumb and ruin it for us. The 18th hole they had set up behind the 1st hole which everyone called "the A-hole." (most likely named after the kid that fell off that lady's roof)

Still an 18 hole course that I will play again.

Arvada Classic

5+    3/31/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: Headbabe
This review was updated on 5/26/2011
Pros: A cool lay out with a chance to throw into the stream on just about every hole. I think just about every disc golfer in town learned to play here. Still a great course for beginners to hone the craft. Oh yeah I saw a dude with a tramp stamp.
Cons: Too many kids, dogs, bikers, and disc golfers, all in one place. Leave the drivers at home.
Other Thoughts: Cool place to throw. I recommend going during the weekdays to avoid the crowds. Go have some fun at J.R.

I Heart Johnny

5+    3/26/2011   3/30/2011
Review By: petsounds85
Pros: Great park- plenty of trees. Great mix of Easy, Intermediate, and Hard holes. Fun for everyone- all skill levels.
Cons: Slow families. Slow people in general. Sometimes it gets really packed.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorites!

Fun.. Possible Danger?

1    3/6/2011   3/9/2011
Review By: Fishy
Pros: Nice Park, Good Signage, Accuracy over distance, Fun place to play, lots of other players
Cons: Lots of other players. Seems that a lot of the manners go out of the window here, lots of casual players, had to dodge a few discs, this might have been because of how compact the course is. The pictures don't do the creek much justice it comes into play a lot and it's not as small as I thought it might be.
Other Thoughts: Nice park overall. A LOT of non golfers wandering around, watched one get nailed in the face as I was starting my car, the kids that were playing seemed to simply take it in stride and tried to play around the guy who got hit (I pulled away at this point, but I was very disappointed in everyone's reaction). Because it's so compact you should really keep your head on a swivel, especially on the weekends. I'd make sure this is a stop on anyone's to-play list. I know I'll play it again, just not on a weekend.

Creek FUN!

2-4    12/22/2010   1/22/2011
Review By: DiscinTim
Pros: Its a disc golf course.. so thats a good start.
nice use of relatively small park

challenging OB if you end up in the creek.

well placed shots rewarded, but arms without accuracy can be punished quick.

playable through most of winter, which is a super big plus.
Cons: Many parts of the course are icey or muddy depending on the time of year, so be prepared to possible slip and get laughed at.

Id say the creek is a con, but its just makes your game better. Of course, when you catch an unlucky roll and your disc falls into a partially iced over creek, you might be SOL no matter how good you are.

I played midweek on a relatively cold day, and there were plenty of golfers on the course, which is not really a 'con' but worth noting.

some fairways do cross, where you pretty much have to let the group in front play out
Other Thoughts: overall a nice compact, fun course. the creek makes everything more challenging, it comes into play on quite a few holes, and basked placements near the edge make you think twice, even when going for an 'easy' putt.

Holiday Gliding

1    12/26/2010   12/27/2010
Review By: SamGlides
Pros: Well marked course with clear hole placement photos at each tee box. Baskets have nice red sand around them and seemed to be in good shape. Easily accesible.
Cons: Holes 4, 5 and 6 all seem to overlap and I had to wait a few on each hole while the group ahead backtracked to the next tee box. 8th hole still missing. Not a whole lot of seclusion.
Other Thoughts: Generally a simple straight forward course. It is tight and you do need to throw accurate shots to stay out of creek. There is a bike/walk path that cuts through the course so you do have to watch out for folks out and about in the park

A little tight, but thats not all bad

5+    11/18/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: aaronoutside
Pros: -Great course with a lot of varied shots and challenges
-Difficult course with the river there
-Discs that go in the creek are easily retrieved at low water
-great baskets and fantastic upkeep
-hard to loose discs
-Some fun mandos if you play them
-Easy to follow signs
Cons: -Cramped space.
-A lot of people play this course so sometimes you have to wait to tee off.
-On a nice day, the park is packed with people not playing disc.
-The creek can get frustrating if you end up in it more than a few times
- #8 basket is missing
Other Thoughts: This is a great course as long as it is not busy. I go after work and it is great, but on a sunny weekend, it can get frustrating. My favorite holes are 7 and 15. They both have the creek in play and you have to make a good drive or else you are screwed. I use every disc in my bag for this one, but it is a little tight so you can't rip long shots too many places.

Enjoyable course, but crowded!

1    10/16/2010   10/19/2010
Review By: passteve
Pros: Pretty course with the creek winding through it. Nice signage. Technical, but not too difficult.
Cons: Very busy...I was surprised how busy it was. Lots of dogs running loose and tons of pedestrians walking, running or riding by us while we were playing. Groups were always trying to pass us while we were waiting on the groups already ahead of us...that didn't make any sense to me. We never really felt relaxed while playing...always pressured to hurry.
Other Thoughts: I will try to play this one again on a weekday and hope it will be less crowded.