Ridgedale, MO
Branson Cedars Resort Treehouz DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiSCRoCKeR Hole #5 (Taken 10/2012)
3 / 315ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Diamond in the Rough!

2-4    6/7/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: Tutman
Pros: Treehouz DGC is on the Branson Cedars resort and is pay to play unless you stay at one of the properties. Several elevation changes, long and short holes, open fairways, tight wooded shots, water holes, and pretty much all the things that you would look for in a disc golf course. It is very well taken care of. Outstanding concrete tees and several greens are astro-turf. Baskets and signage are all in great condition. Beautiful scenery of the surrounding Ozarks.
Cons: The Journey Post disc golf store/pro shop went out of business, so you have to work with the sales office if you need to pay or rent discs. I was told that the resort owner will be remodeling the old Journey Post location and they will be opening another disc golf shop that will be ran by the resort.
Other Thoughts: This course has it all. If you want a weekend away, rent a cabin at the resort and play as much disc golf as you can take. You will not be sorry. Tired, yes, but not sorry. Enjoy!

1    5/25/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: Moosejuice
Pros: My wife and adult daughter liked this course a lot and they're not avid disc golfers. That alone makes this a great course because my family will go back.

Hole lengths were just right. Good mix of shorter and longer holes mixed up the game.

Terrain changes are great on this course. Plenty of ups and downs to make it interesting. We particularly liked the holes where the tee was high up with the basket a good distance off which made for nice, long drives that hung in the air a long time. Hole 6 was a really nice shot due to this aspect. Holes 2 and 19 were also nice for this type of shot.

Good mix of drives on the old golf fairways and new wooded fairways. The wooded fairways got us out of the sun which is much of the reason I prefer DG over ball golf.

Thanks to the designer for putting disc retriever poles next to the two water obstacles!!!! I can't say this enough because too few DG players bring a disc retriever with them. My wife and daughter used these on hole 4 to retrieve their floating Innova Dragons.

For a private course, the $5 fee was minimal. One spends more on a burger than that.

Friendly staff. Even the grounds keeper talked to us and was friendly.

Conveniently part of the cabin/treehouse rentals so access for someone staying in the cabins is great.
Cons: I don't live close enough to this course
Other Thoughts: I suggested to the desk clerk they rent out floating discs and tell players about them. She appreciated the suggestion as she had not heard of floating discs. While we approached hole 3, we encountered two guys attempting to retrieve non-floating discs from the pond. They lost their disc.

Much of the old golf course was unused so this could easily handle another 18 holes.

Fantastic

1    5/3/2014   5/3/2014
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
This review was updated on 5/5/2014
Pros: This course has a certain spectacle aspect. It is built on a former golf course and though I had my doubts when I first read about this aspect of the course, the design is worked into the golf course very well on most holes. Even as a golf course, this piece of land had a lot of elevation changes. As a disc golf course, the elevation changes are spectacular on some of the holes. There are several holes that are downward shots across 50'-60' ravines to greens that are 30-40' below the tee box. Water hazards that were built for the golf course work remarkably well for the disc golf course and have been incorporated in a well thought out way. You don't have to risk a disc to the water, but it is strongly encouraged from the long tee positions.

Tee signs are adequate. The tee boxes feel a little narrow but are long enough for my run up.

Holes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 11, 18 and 19 are sights to behold from the tee box and incredibly fun to play. There are a number of very well crafted holes that play uphill and are very challenging. 5, 8 and 9 come to mind. The downhill holes can be very challenging due to the difficulty just keeping the disc inbounds with so far for it to fade.

There are cabins for rent right on the course, including a cabin duplex at the No. 1 tee and a "Treehouse" at the 19th green.

So help me, I thought the baskets on greens would just be a gimmick. While they are a bit of a gimmick, they also add a unique challenge. The greens are artificial and your disk will skip and slide and otherwise act unpredictably if you do not take care. The greens also offer flat putting surfaces surrounded by significant elevation changes as opposed to baskets on slopes, of which there are some on the course.

Though I only played one set of tees (long), the shorter tees on many of the holes appear to truly change the nature of the course and make it much more friendly to beginners.

This is a pay-to-play course with no other competing activities. There should be practically no interference from pedestrians or other activities.

There is a pro-shop with a very good selection of discs and the owner is very helpful. You can also occasionally find kids around the course who are willing to pause their tadpole catching to fish out your disc for a reasonable price. :)
Cons: The woods holes (12-14) could use some additional clearing, especially on 12 which has an exceedingly narrow "fairway." Hole 17 also adds a little luck when the basket is in the short position due to the lack of a defined path to the basket.

The ground in the non-golf-fairway-areas is covered with crumbled rock natural to the area that is especially tough on your discs. You will want to use champion plastic or be prepared to throw away your base plastic midranges after the round.

I didn't see any drinking water out on the course. Make sure to bring some with you.
Other Thoughts: I think that this course, a top-quality course with onsite cabins and a well-stocked pro shop is a perfect test of whether a disc golf resort is feasible because that is what this is: a disc golf resort. There are certainly enough other attractions in the area to keep the cabins rented but I certainly hope that this fantastic course can be successful as a disc golf destination. If a course like this cannot make it as pay-to-play, then disc golfers don't really deserve anything better than what they can convince politicians to put in the currently unused section of their local public parks.

If you are traveling to the Branson area, this is the course that you will want to play.

The elevation changes on this course make the walk on the front nine very challenging. This is not a course for the faint of heart or those who need level ground with sure footing to feel safe.

So windy!

1    3/27/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: Ball golf greens! There are a few baskets that are on golf greens. Dream come true. Outside of that, the new amateur tee pads are excellent, and the course really flows together well with only two hard to follow points. Getting to 8 and 10.

Big down hills and gradual climbs make great use of the elevation.

The pro shop is very helpful, has a great selection of discs, and really was the icing on the cake for my experience.
Cons: There are tons of dead leaves in the tree holes. I know this is kind of like a "duh! obviously" kind of statement, but just be warned that you may lose your disc under a blanket of leaves if you're not careful.

Other Thoughts: From some of the older reviews, all the improvements that could have been made have been. If you didn't give the course a 5, go see it now.

I am so glad to have played this course. It certainly was the highlight from my trip after listening to kiddy music and getting stuffed with food at the Dixie Stampede. Unfortunately, the winds were so strong, that I had a really frustrating round. If I'm back in the area, I am certainly going to go their again, and not to the Dixie Stampede.

5+    3/30/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: astomps
Pros: +firstly, turf golf greens are great
+benches on every hole
+great design
+great variety of holes
+fairways are mowed very short and course is just overall maintained well. Even the holes without a golf green have great grass
+challenging
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: overall this course is amazing. The scenery is great, the paths are well defined. You can tell that a lot of hard work was put in to make this course great. Everyone should play this course at least once.

out of my league, and I was perfectly okay with it... FUN, FUN, FUN!

1    10/5/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: constantlyej
Pros: I am a rookie disc golfer who has just started getting to the point where I can reach 300+ drives with accuracy. This was a challenging course, but it was THE BEST course I have played to date and definitely worth taking a weekend trip with friends to play.

It was a challenge, yes, but it was the most enjoyable challenge I have had since I began playing. The course is beautiful. The fact that a handful of the greens have actual "greens" made me feel like I was playing a special couple of rounds.

The course offers a bit of everything; elevation changes, wooded holes, water holes- but more than anything IT WAS BEAUTIFUL and IT WAS FUN. The pro shop was great, and items were not so overinflated that it made picking up some wanted discs needed to wait for me to go back to KC and visit the stores in my area. The selection was outstanding as well.

I liked that this course was as friendly as it were beautiful.
Cons: I can't really complain for a $5 pay-to-play for what it were.

The only thing that could make it an even better course would be benches and signing. But the map given makes it pretty easy.
Other Thoughts: I think that this course is a great place to take a weekend trip with friends to play. If you have a place to stay, or are not afraid to camp, then you can make this one hell of a weekend. Fortunately, we had access to a condo that is just a few miles on the other side of Tablerock Lake- so this was an ideal vacation.

Typically I would avoid Branson like the plague (other than Tablerock), but finding this course makes me want to go as often as I can. Regardless of the 4.5 hour drive, I look forward to making this a regularly visited course.

Once I have improved my game and am not making bogies on a regular basis, it'll even be more of a destination course. I will definitely be using this course as a gauge of how quickly I am making strides in my improvement as a player- because it is by far THE course I want to become great at playing in the future. I threw a 71 the first time I played, a 66 the second, and a a 65 the third.... and I'm perfectly okay with that for as long as I've been playing. This is the course that I can actually say that I am looking forward to throwing par on the most!

THANKS BRANSON CEDARS! You guys have done an excellent job making a beautiful course!

"5" means its perfect in every possible way

2-4    7/4/2013   9/4/2013
Review By: Declarkus
This review was updated on 6/30/2014
Pros: Better than typical because it was well maintained. I enjoyed the water hazard. Pristine baskets
Cons: Only a couple benches. Poor signage; no markers for pin placement, no arrows on baskets pointing to next hole, tee signs are just laminated paper. I ended up walking to the next closest tee box (around #8 I think) and catching chains on the wrong hole. I lost footing on the loose rocks on the holes in the woods by the road and fell to my hands and knees twice.
Other Thoughts: I am from Nashville. There are 5 better courses within 15min of my house. I've been playing about 8yrs and I've played about 30 courses.
I don't want to come off as a snob or supercynic. I just wanted to give a fair review. I also wanted to point out some areas for improvement.
The course was mostly long tree lined fairways.
Signage was my biggest complaint. Easy fixes. Please put a nail or bolt on tee signs to identify pin placements.
With the elevation, benches would be clutch.
Loose footing was a problem. I'm a fit, limber, sober guy. I shouldn't be slipping and falling.
The course has a lot of potential, and I trust The Journey Post crowd will try to get the course to live up to the overhype, and make it more worth the price of admission.

6/30/14 UPDATE: Now $10 pay to play. Not worth it IMO. Left w/o playing this yr.

I'd pay more then 5 dollars

1    9/1/2013   9/3/2013
Review By: homeskule87
This review was updated on 9/8/2013
Pros: Innova Disccatcher baskets.
Pro shop on site.
Awesome signage on every hole.
Nice concrete tee pads.
Alternate tees for people who are leery of throwing near ponds.
Tons of trash cans.
Mowed to perfection.
Elevation changes.
Even ratio of open and wooded holes.
This is a course straight out of a magazine or video game. Shots over ponds, around ponds, big open fairways, tight technical lines, dog leg lefts and rights. They even have putting greens like in ball golf! I would pay way more then 5 bucks to play again.
Cons: It's not in my home state! There is seriously nothing bad about this course.
Other Thoughts: I expected this course to be fun, but not this fun. Truly the nicest course I've ever been to. If you in the area go play it! If you aren't in the area get there!

Pretty fun

1    6/29/2013   6/29/2013
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: Good tee signs, good baskets, navigation was easy, the wooded holes were real fun, favorite holes, hole 6, 7, 15. Price was reasonable. Great area for family vacation, cabins, pool horseshoes, soccer goals, playground, restaurant, lots for the whole family.
Cons: Some of the bomber holes were redundant, 2, 11, 16, 18, and 19.
Other Thoughts: I was glad to get down to this course I enjoyed myself.

What a course!

1    5/26/2013   5/26/2013
Review By: BadKArma
Pros: Can't say any more than what has already been stated. I used to play this course when it was a Ball Golf course. Brought back a lot of memories while I was playing. Great use of elevated pads and loved the doglegs.
Cons: Back in the day this course was named "Oakmont", but we called it "Rockmont", and for good reason. Several of the holes, 9 in particular, are very very rocky and can chew up discs. but that's my only con.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. And since I'm a local, I'm making this my home course. ;)

< Prev 1 2 3