Vicksburg, MI
Vicksburg Rec. Area Share
Uploaded By: Fraimo34 Hole #4 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #4 Short Tee

1 2 Next >
 Solidly Challenging and Entertaining

2-4    10/28/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: Central Scrutinizer
This review was updated on 11/10/2012
Pros: A challenging and interesting layout, with a good mix of open and wooded holes and excellent flow/navigation. Well-placed water hazards too, including the signature double pond Hole #14.

Some good aesthetic touches on a beautiful (although mostly flat) property.

Front and back tees marked with 1' tall white and red stakes (respectively) make for distinct rounds, the back tees a solid par 3.5 course for me...a former mediocre Am-1 player.

Nice Discraft Chainstar baskets, one of which is installed atop a 2 or 3' brick turret that's nicely visible as you park your car. It says to the locals new to our game, "Look at me. I'm a Disc Golf basket!"

The course is cleared and marked very well for a course that's less than 2 weeks old. It will reportedly get cement pads next spring, and I imagine it will only age better and better with time.

Two "horseshoe" practice baskets near the parking lot.
Cons: I'm not sure if that building near the parking lot furnishes park-goers with restrooms or not during warm weather months, but it isn't open now (late Oct). There are no other restroom facilities that I can detect.

I only have two beefs with the layout itself. First is the basket placement on hole #10, situated only a few feet in front of and above a small bog-like pond that looks as though creatures from the Star Wars trash compactor scene might inhabit it. In almost all cases, should you choose to go for the chains, the basket will be directly between you and the water hazard below and only a few feet from it, and if you miss your shot, your Disc will go into the water probably every time. Like Cold Brook Park's #20 pin placement, I rarely actually putt at the basket in casual rounds because I don't carry a putter I want to lose. I just pick it up instead and assume two strokes because I can always shuffleboard a shot up to the basket and drop it in just about 100% of the time, or if I'm 20 feet away or less, it's a gimmie anyway. But I can't imagine ever actually throwing a Disc at the chains there (or other pins such as Cold Brook #20) when there's a chance I'll miss.

I will admit that I haven't tested how deep that little pond is. If it's only a foot deep and it's easy to retrieve your Disc, I might happily erase my criticism of it from this review. :-)

UPDATE: I poked a large stick into that small bog and discovered it's about 12-16 inches deep throughout most of it, mucky, and nastily stinky. Bubbles came up as I poked the sediment. You could possibly fetch a Disc with a stick and good dexterity, but I wouldn't set foot in it. (I will continue to pick up my Disc and assume two strokes outside of gimmie range.)

The other issue I have is Hole #7 being a long straight shot following along parallel with a woods line with the basket veering off to the left just like hole #1's pin placement, a hockey stick shaped hole with no visual from the (long) tee where the basket enters the woods. Instead of the redundancy it has with the second half of Hole #1 (although #1 is a better hole because of its first half), and especially being a hole type that John Houck preaches against making in the first place, I really think something different could be done in that spot.

But that's really it. I'm very happy with everything else, and anybody can nitpick just about any course in this manner.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Someone removed the tee-off obstacle tree from #11 long, a small tree that bisected the window out of the woods. Boooooooooo! The hole no longer has much character. That seriously sucks!

A THIRD UPDATE! - The cool vines that were hanging down to form an obstacle at #9's long tee have been unfortunately cleared away. That has also subtracted a degree of character. If this keeps up, I might have to drop the course from a 4.0 to a 3.5...
Other Thoughts: Larry did a great job putting just about the best possible course he could on the property, and I would say this is his masterpiece so far.

I can count 8 holes in my mind that have some degree of perpendicular risk/reward options from the tee. Some are obvious, like Hole #14 (the double pond hole), and some are subtle, like Hole #1 where you risk going O.B. on a walking trail placing yourself for a better look at shot #2, or choose hyzering more (RHBH) for a safer drive but amore dangerous 2nd shot.

Yes, the most obvious perpendicular risk/reward example is the much-heralded Hole #14, where you can choose about a 250'ish drive straight across a beautiful tree-lined pond or play a longer shot around it to its left on the park's maintenance road...and there's a second pond behind the basket, which is situated between the two! (Its proximity to the water hazard isn't nearly as pronounced as #10...maybe 30' or so?..., so with a careful loft-style putt, I won't lose my putter 99.9% of the time).

Hole #12 is a beautiful thing, the kind of hole I'd like to see more often even if it does not possess perpendicular risk/reward options from the tee (it could with some well-placed planted trees, though! :-). It begins across an open field, slightly downhill with artificial pavement O.B. to the right, and maybe 330' to a wooded tunnel that's about another 275'-300' to the pin, dogleg right. You only get a good look at the wooded tunnel shot if your drive is situated before the tunnel's opening. The rough in there is thick and brutal right now (especially on the left) due to the course's infancy, but that's to be expected. Wonderful job.

Hole #4 is also a beautiful thing, reminiscent of a Cass Benton hole from when it first opened. You have a couple of options from the tee, and the ones that get you closer to the pin are tough but fair. Love it.

I also love how the course plays in and out of open and wooded settings. You don't feel bored from several repetitive consecutive holes.

Very Good

2-4    10/24/2012   10/24/2012
Review By: MIdisc1
Pros: Well thought out course with great potential to become one of the best in SW Michigan. Both am and pro teepads (dirt/field right now but cement should be put in by spring) Great use of trees, really makes you play every shot in your bag. Really tight lines on short holes forces the player to be very accurate to earn a two. Best use of water on any course in Kalamazoo, tricky sometimes but overall pretty fair.
Cons: Course just went in a week and a half ago so it's still pretty rough. Teeing off can be a challenge on some holes (having cement teepads will make a HUGE difference). Some holes have minor flodding issues. I'm sure to raise my score once the teepads go in and it gets played a little bit more.
Other Thoughts: The front 9 offers mostly wooded holes as you make your way around sunset lake. There are a few field holes after that leading into the monster of the course, hole 12. Crossing the road after 13 you come to what I think the signature hole will be on the course. The pro plays over a 175-200ft. pond, the hole itself is around 330 but the real trick; the pin is located 20-25ft. infront of another pond not visible from the teepad. Water is a factor on 3/5 of the last holes. This course is going to be a monster once it gets a little bit more seasoning. Great job Larry.

Fantastic New Course. Blown Away

1    10/22/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: HyzerFlip24
Pros: This course is loaded with some beautiful scenery and picturesque fairways. The holes are challenging and forces the player to bring out their best game.
Cons: Some of the long tees need to be moved as they are on or close to neighboring fairways. This course is still being finalized and some details are still being hashed out.
Other Thoughts: I was blown away by the course. It will quickly become one of the most important disc golf destinations in South West Michigan.

1 2 Next >