Live Oak, TX
Live Oak City Park Share
Uploaded By: MacGyver214 Hole #8 (Taken 5/2009)

1    5/29/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: NoahPeterson
Pros: A little bit of fun water on the front 9, some nice woods with overhanging obstacles. 38 holes.
Cons: Non-existent course markings. NO COURSE MAP ANYWHERE. Difficult layout to navigate.
Other Thoughts: I want to like this course, but it's just not good. It's not enjoyable, which is odd for even the worst course layouts. I mean really, when is disc golf not enjoyable? There are things on this course that could and should be fun; but it's like the idea of it is better than the reality. Maybe it's because there are two vastly superior courses nearby that are far more challenging and fun.

1    3/14/2013   3/28/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: I really enjoyed Live Oak, to start it off the locals were extremely nice and helpful( DGers, and non DGers). To start it off a group who just finished their round gave me a map and pointed me in the right direction for hole one and where to find hole 6. I really appreciated how the course starts out really open and then gets tighter. I like this because it lets you get warmed up and get into a rhythm before the more challenging holes come up. Hole 6 was an awesome hole because of the risk/ reward. I love water shots. I landed in the water and then an elderly man ran over there with a rake and helped me out. Also, hole 8 was a lot of fun with the creek that runs behind it. I encountered a mom and her children and they played " defense" to block my disc from going in the water. I love that the course really starts to add length and stretch out your arm. This course offers everything you are looking for from short, long, tight, open, elevation, water holes. If you want it, you got it here. Live Oak has holes for every type of player.
Cons: The main problem with this course is the navigation. If I didn't have the map I would of been lost. Hole 6 is on the other side of the baseball field along the water. Hole 17 is threw the path and to the left. After 17, cross the street and play 18-21. Then cross back, After 26, you go back to the path to get to 17. 27 is by 16's basket. Some of the latter holes got a little boring mainly 18-21. I felt like those holes were too open and similar to many other subpar courses.

5+    8/8/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: lukebro22
Pros: Good variety, water, elevation etc. There's a few "hidden" holes that are pretty cool, one has you throwing from a peninsula over the lake (there's two peninsulas for pro and am tees). 38 holes in total (adding more within the year) so backups are never an issue.
Cons: Not a lot of par 4's and no par 5's (though I think this may change with the redesign), so most hole lengths are in the 200-350 range. Not much of a con but maybe a few more long holes would be nice.
Other Thoughts: The redesign is scheduled to be finished ny summer'13 and will give the park 3 18 hole courses. Ive been able to see a few of the new holes and they are going to be great. The "hidden" holes mentioned above are only playable before or shortly after a tournament because those areas are not maintained year round.

my first time ever

5+    4/25/2011   12/25/2011
Review By: discgolfcrazy
Pros: this being my first ever time playing disc golf, i was instantly hooked. I was with my uncle and he told me how to play, and i remember my first disc was a dx shark, because it had a cool stamp :). so it was a great course with many different environments especially hols 10-14 compared to the first 9 holes. when i couldnt go with my uncle, i would go walk around, but since i was 14 and i walked past a school, they thought i was cutting, lol. so it was one of the best experiences of my life. it was clean and well triimed on the fairways.
Cons: some holes were difficult to find if i wasnt with my uncle. other than that, nothing

Live Oak

1    9/21/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: ScottWight
Pros: Rather than get into most of what has already been said, I have some comments for review.

In classic Houck style, there are a great variety of shots in layout, flight paths, landing zones and use of natural features. (ie water)

The front nine of the course is clearly intended to be an easy introduction to new players of the sport. The advanced player will come away with several birdies here.

The areas used for these holes are in close proximity to playing fields and other areas of use by park goers, so tight, short and technical shots are needed.

Starting at hole 15, you can take out a driver for the first time on the course. There are several great holes with big throws and well protected baskets moving through this section of the course (some nice elevation changes too.)

Its almost like two completely different courses. I think this demonstrates a very nice use of the available land, Short, technical holes for high traffic areas, and longer, more difficult holes as you move away from those areas.The park was packed for football and soccer practices while I was there, and folks were able to share the space without issue.

Tee signage, while a little the worse for wear, still shows you flight lines and landing zones for some of the blind (and long) shots, which is very helpful.
Cons: Has to be said: download the coursemap, print it or have a smartphone handy for navigation. You will have significant trouble otherwise. In fact, since the hole number is not on the tee sign, (many are on the posts) the basket and coursemap are your only clues as to which one to shoot at. I wasn't able to find any of the alternates for holes. (I didn't go too far out of my way to look, however)
Other Thoughts: Advanced and pro players should be able to get to double-digits down on the course (based on listed pars). New and intermediate players will find that this course will teach you skill shots, which will be helpful to them on any course.

San Antonio Disc Golf Mecca...

1    3/22/2011   3/22/2011
Review By: Von Roll
Pros: Every hole has it's own unique challenge.
No other course in SA area has this many holes.
Elevation changes.
This course could be challenging for any skill level.
Many trash and Recycling cans.
Park is well maintained.
Some great hazards on a few holes.
Many long drive, some ace, and long hole opportunities.
Cons: Benches are far and few between.
Signs are scarce (although some holes are very new)
Not all have concrete (new holes have dirt teeboxes)
If you are unfamiliar with this course I would advise that you tag along with someone that has played this course before, if you are looking to hit all of the holes. (As more than a few are unmarked)
These things do not take away from the objectivity of the courses play.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely a must play if you are in the San Antonio area. Once this park gets all of the amenities at each hole (signs,tees, benches) this place will rock more than it does now. Overall this course is VERY GOOD.

ANOTHER GREAT LIVE OAK

1    1/13/2011   3/1/2011
Pros: 1) Nice large concrete tee-pads are the cornerstone of every good course. They are in good condition and they are consistent.

2) Port-o-potty is available on hole #3 out near the parking lot and I assume the building by #1 and #10 also contains bathrooms but I didn't look that closely.

3) Garbage cans available in multiple places throughout the course which is always helpful to keeping the course looking clean.

4) Nice tee-signs with Hole #, Par, Distance, and a Map are the key aspect of good tee-signs.

5) Huge park, with all sorts of other things going on. Playgrounds, picnic areas, a baseball field, 38 holes of disc golf, and a nice lake (trust me I walked in it to retrieve my disc and someone else's).

6) Concrete drainage-way looks to do a really good job of getting large volumes of water across the course without affecting play.

7) Practice basket is available near the #10 tee. Its always nice to have a spot to warm up putting, but it is pretty removed from the first hole and awfully tight to the baseball field area. There might be people in the way from time to time when it could have been positioned tot he right of #1 and out of the way.

8) A John Houck Design which obviously means utilizing the best portions of this property as well as some really challenging holes.

9) Awesome variety on this course including a bunch of water shots, some dry concrete drainage-ways that would be filled with water at certain times of the year, lots of tight wooded holes, some open bomber holes with spotty trees. It simply put is a great variety which obviously is easier with 38 holes.

10) Benches are available in some spots which is most definitely a positive thing on a 38 hole course.

11) Rock pile and fill area is an interesting obstacle. Similar to my last review from Veteran Memorial Park in Beeville, TX. This is an interesting way to create an obstacle and I really like it.

Cons: 1) Long walk from Hole #1 to #2. Navigation here and in a couple of other places is very difficult. There are at least a half dozen places where better signage could be used, especially with the new additional holes. With 38 holes there are bound to be large walks and confusing paths.

2) Some of the baskets seem to be low and/or leaning slightly. I always hate to see that baskets either are not installed correctly or over time they need maintenance, or even perhaps the result of vandalism.

3) Older Discatchers are alright but the paint is fading and rust seems to be apparent in a few locations.

4) Lots of loose rock in spots on this course. These areas can actually be hazardous to your ankles!

5) Not only are some of the alternate holes hard to find and play, they also have some other issues. #11a tee is not at all obvious. #11b is not easy to find, #11c tee is underwater at wet periods,

6) A few areas on the course are dangerous because of proximity to other holes and landing areas.

7) Maintenance of the turf in a few spots on the course seems to be inadequate. I am sure that this course is played often and the compaction around some baskets is clear. This is bound to only get worse and getting healthy turf in those locations is important to preventing erosion.

8) I would not consider this course to be beginner friendly, there are holes that are beginner friendly but there are many holes that will really put it to the beginners.
Other Thoughts: Quite obviously from my review and others that flow and navigation are the biggest issues on this course. There is an awesome variety of holes and shots required on this course plus there is an awesome variety in obstacles and challenge on this course. It is probably one of the most balanced course I have ever played. It does have a few maintenance issues that would keep it from being the cream of the crop but it still is one of the most fun courses I have ever played. I really don't feel like there are many weak holes on this course which is really a sign that it is a great course. I would much rather play 38 awesome holes with some navigation and maintenance issues, than 28 great holes and 10 not so great holes. I am giving this course a 4 rating but it could very easily be a 4.5 disc course if the navigation issues were resolved, tees were completed, tee-signs were added, and some maintenance was done to improve turf and other aspects of the grounds.

The Best of San Antonio

1    11/23/2010   12/24/2010
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: Being from the midwest, I love traveling to different parts of the country and experiencing disc golf with the different landscapes. I really enjoyed playing live oak because it was very unexpected. Coming to San Antonio, I really expected flat open and dry courses. Live Oak really surprised me. There is every shot imaginable out here. I threw every shot I could and then some. The generous use of water on the 6 (?) hole stretch was very unexpected. There are some very fun high risk shots with pins tucked right next to the water---or right over the water.
The tees were in great shape. I didn't expect concrete tees on every hole but a few. The baskets were also decent.
Signage was good enough as far as finding the basket from the tee was concerned. Hole to hole was a different issue (see cons).
When we played there was very little traffic out there so play went rather quickly. The park is huge and has lots of mature Live Oak trees. They are quite different than the oaks I am used to in missouri. They are low enough in places that you can throw hyzer bombs over the top quite a bit. They make for a different challenge.
There were some very creative pin placements that I enjoyed throwing at.
Cons: Flow--Man, if they could iron this out it would have made the experience so much better. I almost bumped this down to 3.5 because of it. Parts of the course flowed seamlessly, but there were multiple places where we wandered aimlessly for a while. If there were maps, I never found any. I understand why there is the problem---as they have expanded the course a little bit at a time, but it got quite frustrating after a while.

Some redundancy in places...but that is to be expected with a course of this many holes.
Other Thoughts: This is the best San Antonio has to offer in my opinion. It is so unexpected to play a park like this in a city I assumed was dry and flat. The park is huge. I hope that before they add more holes, they can iron out the flow issues...if they don't it may make the course even more confusing. Regardless, it is a must play if you are in the area.

A Brisk Morning at the Mecca of San Antonio DG

5+    12/7/2010   12/7/2010
Review By: Guru10
Pros: I wanted to play the full 38 holes at Live Oak so I woke up early to beat any crowds. The course was still laid out and marked for the Fly Ink tourney, so navigation was cake.

Every tee had flags, and signs, as well as spray paint on the ground to mark some of the short tee boxes. All the other extra holes had paint/signs etc. Awesome.

Live Oak should always look this perfect. This is the way Live Oak is supposed to look!

I would go into detail on each and every hole, but that would take pages, seeing as how there are 38+ holes.

FAVORITE HOLES: 8, 10, 11b, 15 (grip n' rip!), 15c, 23c, 23d, 24, and 27.
Cons: Nothing. I had the best time today. My only hope is that they don't take out the flags to mark the tees, short and long, anytime soon and that the fairways stay manicured.
Other Thoughts: I really wish I could have played the Fly Ink tourney. But just to see the course the way it is supposed to be, was enlightening.

Live Oak

5+    10/4/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: Jellard
Pros: Huge variety of holes. Lots of wildlife in the wooded areas. Trash cans and benches throughout the course. Concrete tee pads on all but 4 holes. Signs are in good condition. This course will test even seasoned pros but there are enough holes that even a first timer can have a great time.
Cons: Some of the baskets are not at regulation height, and surely some of the distances marked on the signs are wrong. Players new to the course may have a hard time finding their way around in a few places. Many park goers have no clue what disc golf is and may occupy fairway and basket areas but it's only become problematic a few times.. Alot of people have their dogs illegally off-leash.
Other Thoughts: The course is as good right now as it's ever been. The mosquitoes seem to have left with the cooler weather at least for this week. It's been really nice. The City has set aside funding this year to improve the course which has already begun to take place.

Reviews temporarily disabled for this course!