Ionia, MI
Bertha Brock County Park Share
Uploaded By: apdrvya Hole #5 (Taken 11/2012)
3 / 290ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Bertha Brock

1    3/21/2014   4/19/2014
Review By: RyanF
This review was updated on 4/22/2014
Pros: FUN! Planted right in the middle of a forest, through some of the most exciting terrain you can ask for in disc golf.

BIG signs, well marked tees. The signs show both the elevations you'll be shooting as well as the path and distance.

I've only played this course once so its nuances are probably lost on me, but I loved it, the trees are tall enough, and the holes manicured enough that you can throw high or low for most of them.

Lots of shots up, and down hill, left and right, loop de loop. It's a small exciting course!
Cons: Planted right in the middle of a forest, don't expect to go all out on many shots and have a good time. You will hit a lot of trees if you're not careful, and I wouldn't play many darker discs unless you're really confident, being in the woods with these elevation changes can make for unpredictable disc behavior, running discs are a big problem here.

Tees, are uneven and cloth.

After 4 on certain days the gun club takes over half the course, making the front 9 not just a DANGER, if you're not good at reading signs its outright LETHAL.

The course can be tiring and there are zero benches after the 1st hole. The only trash bins are co-opted bins of various forms size and shape.
Other Thoughts: $2 entrance fee, well worth it. The park rangers said there are a lot of updates on the way. And they were both out cleaning and raking the course even though it was so early in the year.

I expect great things from this course in the future, I will definitely be going back.

Soon Tio be Great

2-4    6/1/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: Although this is a multi use park, the three times I have played this course I have not seen anyone use the walking paths or even playing disc golf

ChainStar baskets all nice and new, with the direction to the next tee on all of them.

Signs have Elevation Chart(which as my friend liked to make fun of me) makes it slightly easier on some of the blind shots.

Shot variety. This is the kind of course you can come to multiple times and throw a different shot on the same every time. Some of the hole have looks you don't even know how to shoot. great elevation making for a lot of down hill runs, that also have risk v reword, in good basket placement on hills.
Cons: Trees are one of the best worst things about this course. I would say 200 or so need to go, but I think the course designer is kind of wanting to let it break in itself.

Carpet Teepads are not very good, but at least they have something.
Other Thoughts: Wednesdays after 4pm, the course is pretty much unplayable due to a Gun club. I think it's only the Back Nine, but I would still stay away.

This Course is a nice hidden Gem. WE went mid June and because of the bugs it was almost unplayable. This is one of those work in progress courses that once cement Teepads and a little bit of the rough gets broken in it will be an easy four possible 4.5

I don't think anyone has shot under par, atleast last I checked on Disc Golf Scene. Slight fun fact.

2 Dollars to get in the park also.

I own your azz. Really you will enjoy playing this young gem of a course in Ionia, Michigan :)

1    5/11/2013   5/14/2013
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: Take away the first 4 holes and every hole at this course has the "WOW, drop your jaw in awe kind of feeling, IMHO. Only # 2 IMO is a average hole. Don't take me wrong # 2 is a good hole, but in relation with the others it's just an average hole whereas the other holes stand out from their own perspective merits because of the design and the various terrain changes :) < I just don't understand why this course is rated so lowly, I'd love to play here every day if given the opportunity>

The various terrain changes and basket locations on the various terrain changes makes each shot critical to shoot smartly instead of just throwing a lazy shot at the basket.

I loved the tee signs :) They had both the aerial view of the hole and the terrain perspective on each t- sign.

# 6 was tasty. On this hole one might opt to empty their bag.

# 7 was equally as tasty for a reverse uphill shot. Could of been a little more open top side, but I was fine with the design.

# 9, Are you kidding me. Did you do your homework or not on this course when designing this course. Hole played fairly flat until you got to the "GREEN" area, that area appeared that a massive earth movement was made to put the basket up on a hill with the basket near a severe drop off.

I liked the one hole where one threw over the valley kind of hole. With the basket all the way a higher hill than the hill where one tees off from (# 11 # 15?? I forget as I don't have my pictures with me to refer to in this review). I liked the "Rock Garden @ the bottom of the valley and added my personal "Rock" artwork to this beautiful Rock Garden.

# 14 was evil backwards. I loved how the basket was placed on a perch or a porch section of the downhill hole this plays. Blow by (like my friend did) and you will pay (not only in added possible stokes, but wearing one down traversing this property.

Benches we're scattered and greatly appreciated. I also liked that many of the fairways we're lined with fallen trees to make it easier to define the fairway and the rough.

I didn't see to much trash @ this course (And I realize I was playing in Michigan and not in Ohio <and I'm from Ohio, and most of the parks I play Disc Golf at in Ohio has a problem with litterbugs>) and when I did I picked it up and disposed of it properly when I was finished playing :)

Practice putting area was nice (a little stumpy, but I understand that this is a relatively a new course and with all the work that has been done already one can not expect everything to be the most best with the course in it's infant stage. But given the design and immaculate appearance. I see nothing but positive steps to be made in the future and wouldn't doubt if all the little tree stubs we're either painted or cut out in the fairways at a later date).

I liked the "Beware of TICKS" sign, and the information they gave for whomever was traversing this property to prevent one from getting any TICKS. Very helpful and insightful.(My friend and I we're wearing the totally opposite color of clothes that would prevent us from getting TICKS).

Now, this course is relatively new per say, but all the hard work and love (and I'm sure blood, sweat and tears) that has been done is amazing. I hope others can identify all the little extra's these people are doing at this course and incorporate it into their respective courses... like next tee signs listed in the basket wells pointing the direction to the next tee no matter which way your looking into the basket well. or the chopped tree logs laid unto fallen trees, thus making it appear that a fence was made out of fallen logs. Those little things go a long way in my book, Thanks to whomever and keep up the GREAT WORK!!
Cons: To small of tee pads. I realize that cement tees would require major work at some of these holes, but even with carpeted tee pads. The tee pads we're to small. Even on hole # 18, the tee pad had it's own issues as one had to step up into the "batter's box" (tee pad) to throw up hill. But this is the only con I have really. And I can overlook this because of how I feel towards the design of this course and the potential this course has if cement tees we're ever installed.

Another con isn't really a con unless your not wearing mosquito repellent. Body armor is a must at this course as the soup of the day at this course is Mosquito cream, lol. I wonder how many Mosquito's the firing range takes out when they have their firing practice? I bet only a handful as there Mosquito's everywhere.

A little stumpy at places, but I understand that this is a relatively a new course and with all the work that has been done already one can not expect everything to be the most best with the course in it's infant stages. But given the design and immaculate appearance. I see nothing but positive steps to be made in the future and wouldn't doubt if all the little tree stubs we're either painted or cut out in the fairways at a later date (sooner than later :).

BIG Bummer on closing the front 9 during "Firing Range" practice, but this course probably wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for the area's prison system that's nearby this park. I felt very safe, mind you. But the guards/ gun owners needs practice time too and it's a very small setback, when considering how GREAT this course is all the other times this course is available to play.

I wish # 6 was a little longer of a hole, but perhaps down the road that could be identified, but it was still a tasty looking hole in which one would want to throw multiple drives from the teeing area. In fact I wish some of the other holes we're just a tad bit longer, but this isn't a big con, just wishing for more excellence from the designers:)
Other Thoughts: I lost an " Discraft, Extreme" Disc on hole # 14, As I hit a nearby tree and it went right, but I was told that this Disc turned over for a BH thrower (which it never did for me, unlike the Status which turns over from the first throw on) . And to my surprise I was called later in the day from someone who found it and wanted to return it to me (I told him thanks for calling, but the Disc never did what I bought it for, so keep it or give it to someone you might think will benefit from it). So that kind of karma was present from the initial entry to the park and throughout my visit in Michigan. Thanks again Michigan for impressing me with all the great Aloha (LOVE), even though I knew it was prevalent :)

Like I say.... This course IMHO should be rated higher. It will be a destination stop for me for years to come as will Victory Park in Albion and Carly's playground in Traverse City. Heck, Why don't I just move up to Michigan. I've always liked visiting and I realize noting is perfect (except God), but Michigan is a nice place to visit and they're Disc Golf courses to me rank right up there to any State to play :)

Good sized parking lot.

For the couple buck entry fee that was required to enter this park, I thought that entry fee was small in comparison of the amount of work and love that was present at this park.

My friend and I coined the phrase "I own your ass" from the towns name of Ionia. I'm sure this phrase isn't new the the people inside the maximum security prisons nearby this park. But to my friend and I it was new to us and we joked about it the rest of the day.

Not for the weak

1    11/6/2012   11/6/2012
Review By: bennyb
Pros: Elevation changes
Tee signs
Direction to next hole sticker on basket.
Nice hike between holes.
This place is a total work out. Up and down and up and up and down.
Leave the cart at home.
Cons: Obvious. No tee pads
Place could use a good racking.
Other Thoughts: Adventure course
Easy to get to

you're going to hear brutal and punishing a lot in this review...

1    11/5/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: apdrvya
This review was updated on 1/9/2013
Pros: Aesthetic--even in the late fall bareness and cold this place is nice. The park is HUGE and multipurpose but the disc golf area is shared with some hiking trails. As has been said before, wednesdays after 4pm, the course is pretty much unplayable due to people shooting guns nearby

Baskets--ChainStars...w00t! I think they could be made slightly more visible in this thick wood

Navigation--easy with the next tee signs and the next tee tines in EVERY basket!

Challenge/variety-- I will put these two together because the challenge is in the variety. The lines are SUPER tight (near impossible in places) the leaves and deadfall make it even more heart-racking. I found myself throwing 150-200 ft shots just to keep track of my discs!! However, the repetition of the woods and tightness are a bit overwhelming at times.

Signage--Beautiful. I love the elevation maps they are completely necessary on this course as half the baskets are NOT visible from the teepads.

Risk v Reward--yeah, the risk here is a punishing rough and fighting out of it (which may take two shot to get back to the fairway).

Elevation--it's a positive and a negative here. the elevation is used very very well but it is repetitive at times throwing over a hill or up a hill or over a hill and over a second hill and up a hill.
Cons: Teepads--or the lack there of. they were muddy and slick on the back 9 today. the carpet pads are nicer but not a permanent solution by any means.

Trees-yep, trees. I don't mind tight wooded courses but this is extreme. The rough is SUPER Rough and the fairways and lines are hard to see most of the time. I had 3 3's on the day and it's easy to see why. I believe thoroughly that this course (unless trimmed nicely) won't see a negative overall score for a long time. I belive this course will remind some of the longs at Leviathan where you have to pick your line and plan your shots 2-3 throws ahead of time...
Other Thoughts: Some of the other reviews say that you will have to use forehand. I didn't have to use it, with a decent enough turnover or flex shot anything is possible.

I think the possibilities are endless at this park and that it will only improve with time. I will update my review when improvements are made!

Sadly disappointed

1    10/30/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: McGuire419
Pros: Signage. The signage here is great. Really nice job on it.

Decent variety of shots

Location is nice
Cons: I disliked the feel of going up one hill just to go back down.. it felt very repetitive to me. Way too many trees still (I know the course is in its infancy). Some of the holes felt forced. Also there were all kinds of rocks randomly scattered everywhere. I know a few people that day rolled their ankles.
Other Thoughts: Went super excited and left rather let down. Fallasburg is just so much better in my eyes (even in its infancy). The elevation changes that seem great at first quickly become repetitive and just boring. Id say a good course to play if you come for fallasburg with it. I wouldn't make a trip just to play this course.

1    11/3/2012   11/3/2012
Review By: Hfactor
Pros: Hilly and wooded. No open bomber shots, pretty much all technical but def some distance too. Many holes have interesting pin placements that make you shoot for par and not want to go for birdie. Has an even amount of left and right holes. The course has promise to be great in the future.

The signage was probably the best ive seen. Seeing the elevation change on the sign was really cool.

I never felt lost, the tee signs showed where the next tee was and the baskets usually had some blue tape pointing to where the next one was.

The baskets are great and just sucked my discs right in, no spit outs from these chains.

The course was cheap at $2 to park. It's relatively close to Lansing too, about an hour west.

There is a practice basket.

Hole 10 is right by the parking lot so you could start on 1 or 10. Layouts like this always please me.
There are other good courses near this one which could make for an excellent day trip,
Fallasberg and Hastings.

Even though the course is rough I had a great time playing this course! Thanks for making this sport grow with another great course!
Cons: The temp tee pads all have a barrier at the end that wont allow you to follow through on your drives. Ontop of being uneven and about 5 feet too short. They were about 2 steps long which is 1 step and a follow through too short.

Since the course is so new there are dead hanging branches everywhere. Some of the holes are so thick with trees it feels like there is no line, just throw it down the "fairway" and hope it doesnt hit a tree or some dead branches.

I noticed some of the signs seemed a bit misleading as to what the hole actually did, I think it was only 1 or 2 of the holes that were off. Hole 18 being one of them.
Other Thoughts: We left and there were 9 cars in the parking lot including mine. So this place is getting some publicity already.

In a few years when its edges get cleaned up and cement pads that allow a full three steps and follow through then this course will be at least a 4.0 in my book and I will definitely edit my rating and review at that time.

Some of the hills are extremely slippery right now because the ground is just cluttered with leaves.

Hole 18 Really reminds me of either 12 or 14 at The new burchfield course rivers edge. It goes straight, then 90 left for about 60 feet, then 90 back to the right for another 135-175 feet. I actually liked this one better than burchfields hole.

Even when this course gets cleaned up the only holes I see being aceable are hole 9 and the hole that goes down hill for 230 feet (14?). So that means this course is tough and will probably stay tough even when it gets cleaned up. Thats a plus in my book, it gives the course replay value.

There was a sign that said there is a Gun Range close by and they practice on Wednesday after 4pm. This causes half the course to be unplayable on Wednesday nights, which means I just wouldnt even go there on Wednesday.

If you like seeing raw challenging courses go play this course before it changes!

Fun Awesome and New

5+    10/28/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: jaredfestjared
This review was updated on 5/19/2013
Pros: This course is awesome and will only get better with time! It starts and finishes right next to the parking lot with a practice basket. All holes have signs showing a map of each hole, par, distance, and also another perspective showing the elevation change from tee pad to basket. Each hole is unique to the next with doglegs both left and right going up and down. You will be challenged throughout by throwing a variety a throws and throw blind on some holes making this a fun and challenging course.
Cons: Being new in its adolescents it needs to be broken which will happen fast. There is no cement tee pads yet. Some holes seem to have too many trees.
Other Thoughts: This course is going to develop over time making it one of Michigan's top rated. I've been told there are plans of 6 more holes being added most likely next year and cement tee pads are being poured next year. A fun little alternate hole is after you play 18 throw down from on that hill to the practice basket, it makes for about a 100 foot hole. Also a good course for doubles. This course compliments its neighbor course Fallasburg well, only being about 10 miles from one another you should plan to play both.

WOW!

1    10/27/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: TheKohn
Pros: WOW!! this course is epic. huge elevation changes, some tighter fairways. can be extremely challenging and lots of fun. planning for your next shot is a must and this course may force you out of your comfort zone in some situations. also no water hazards (for me thats a pro as i don't enjoy them)
Cons: carpet or dirt tees (i hear they are planning on putting in concrete tees in the future)

lots of leaves and some blind shots, make sure you watch your disc!
Other Thoughts: this is the hardest course i have played and i loved it for that. its also kinda close to Fallasburg so you can make a great day of disc golfing 2 awesome courses.

The Wait was WELL Worth it!

2-4    10/27/2012   10/29/2012
Review By: Star Destraayer
Pros: Set in a very picturesque park, this wide hole variety plays through two different forests that will make or break your game. The shear amount of hills and trees makes this course very unique and keeps players coming back for more. Many holes will have you taking multiple shots just for the thrill of it. The challenge here will force you to pull all the stops out and try shots you never have used before. Like to play all backhand? This course will FORCE you to throw forehand. It plays to no one's advantage except the very best players. It's location makes it an excellent course to hit in conjunction to Fallasburg or if you are traversing down I-96. The course has many plans to grow and add alternate holes and other things that are indicative of great courses. Onsite rustic camping and drinking is legal :-)
Cons: It's a new course, so it suffers from the usual need of being 'broken in'. Tees and signs are there and quality, but are temporary. Very rigorous walking conditions. It is not friendly for carts and strollers. The challenge maybe to much for beginners. The mosquitoes can be brutal in the early summer.
Other Thoughts: It took a long time to build/design this bad baby and it was well worth it :-) It has humbled some of the better players I know; and even with a doubles match up, it still has not seen a negative score on it so far (10/29/12) Many plans are in place to remedy the course of it's negatives. Expect to see this one grow and become one of MI disc golfers' favorite