Quartzsite, AZ
Tobin Brenard Area DGC Share
Uploaded By: lion Hole #7 (Taken 10/2012)
3 / 225ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Good effort, bad location

1    10/21/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: I want to start off by complimenting whoever takes care of this course. It's abundantly clear that somebody puts a lot of time and effort into this course. The little touches like the raked areas around baskets and tees and the handmade tee markers are really nice. There is a good mix of hole lengths, with limited obstacles that's the only way to add variety here. The tees are mostly natural, but they're flat and level and were a perfectly fine surface to throw from.
Cons: Despite a ton of effort, there's just not a whole lot you can do with this piece of property. It's basically a giant gravel field with a handful of scrubby bushes. The layout uses just about every property feature possible, but in the end it's a wide open flat boring park. There's no challenge outside of distance. The rocky ground will chew up discs, as will some rough edges on some of the homemade baskets. The baskets are really creative, but don't catch all that well.
Other Thoughts: This course is in a great spot to break up the drive between SoCal and Phoenix, but otherwise it's not really worth making a stop. Beginners will find the course a little long, and experienced players won't find any variety or real challenge. It's too bad that whoever is doing the work here wasn't able to put the course on a more interesting property, they were very limited here in how good a course they could possibly build.

A Nice Stop on a Long Drive

1    10/6/2013   10/9/2013
Review By: Sunday Mike
This review was updated on 10/21/2013
Pros: Tobin Brenard Area DGC is awesome for the fact it is even in existence. Quartzite is a little less/more (depending on your direction) than halfway between Phoenix and Los Angeles. I made the stop on a recent trip and I was glad I did.
The directions are SPOT ON. I found the park with absolutely no difficulty. When I got there I was amazed by the facility (more on that later). The park itself is a very beautiful desert course. I'm a desert guy and I thought the location was gorgeous. The tees are mostly dirt (2 or 3 of the 9 are carpeted), but the dirt is well manicured. Each tee has a little path leading toward the fairway and each basket has a little pathway to the next tee. The flow is excellent and I did not need a map at all.
Cons: Unfortunately the course is not very exciting. But my biggest problem was the homemade baskets. They are cool looking, but they sure didn't hold my discs well. The holes are are marked as Par 4's and 5's when in reality they are all par 3's. Each basket is out in the open, but there are enough trees on the property I wish they would have been used to protect ANY of the baskets.
It plays too fast!!!! I was done with all 9 holes in 18 minutes. I didn't have time for a second and I was hoping to get a little more time to play. I guess that is really my fault for playing too quickly. :)
Other Thoughts: Despite the cons listed, I enjoyed this course a lot. I cannot overstate how cool the entire Tobin Brenard Park is. You are greeted with two jet planes and the park just get's better. There is an area for skateboarding, for RC cars, for RV's, for RC planes, a dog area, walking paths and even an amazing memorial garden, which the course plays around. Quartizite did an awesome job on the complex!!! The course itself has the same thought put into the tees, but I just wanted more with the baskets.
Honestly the course itself is a one star course, but its location between Phoenix and LA, the beauty of the area and the amazing nature of the whole complex give this course another star!!
A cool course with room to improve and grow!