Lafayette, IN
Murdock Park Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #7 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #7 Orange Tee

Much Improved

2-4    10/11/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Now 18 different holes with 18 grippy baskets. Original baskets are the same but the new ones are Chainstar. Original holes 1-9 are still there but most of them have been renumbered.

Two tees per hole: 1-10 and 18 are brick pads for both tees. 11-17 are rubber mats.

Signs - each tee (pro and amateur) have their own signs that include distance, par, and a map of the hole. There are also signs between the wooded holes pointing to where the next tees are (pro or amateur).

Variety: uphill, downhill, flat, open, and wooded holes. Holes 12-17 are new wooded holes. Each wooded hole has elevation of some sort. Bad throws will result in a tough approach.

A few unique baskets: Holes 5 and 12 are raised baskets. Bottom of the basket is at eye level. Hole 13 was lowered to the ground. Adds variety and alters approach shots.

Benches, water, and trash cans on site.

Holes 4 and 8 Pro tees share the same spot. Bricks in the shape of a capital L. Interesting to see.
Cons: Rubber tees on holes 11-17. It breaks up the unity of the course. The tees did not alter your throw. I didn't have a probes with it but others might.

I thought holes 1-10 and 18 were pretty bunched together. Across the street, there was plenty of unused land that could have been home to two new holes that would have been downhill/uphill bombs. With that being said, the new holes really improved this course.

Course could use a practice basket or a practice hole.
Other Thoughts: I was very impressed with the new look course. The wooded holes take this course from a typical course in a college town and make it more of a destination and make it much more challenging.

The last time I played this course was 6 years ago. I'm glad the original holes are mostly still there.

Original course had alternate tees that were considered holes 10-18. Now those have been switched to either the pro or amateur versions of that hole with 9 new holes.

I would recommend this course to anybody looking for not only variety but for a solid round of golf. I will definitely try to return although I'm not often in the Lafayette area.

Pleasant Surprise

1    8/11/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: optimalben
Pros: Length: several very long holes that let you try to air it out.
There are some "technical" holes on the back 9 through the woods that blend nicely with the open ones.
Regular and pro tees that are well-marked and arrows on the pins that direct you to the next tee.
Cons: I'm counting it as a "con" because I'm not happy with how I scored the first time--given how well I thought I played it. But this course doesn't seem to reward "good" drives enough. Even when I put my drives where I wanted them, i.e., hit the "window" or the path I was aiming at, I ended up with a lot of tough approaches with small trees blocking them they even obscure you when you're surprisingly close to the "green".

The course doesn't let up. Every shot is a challenge. Again, though, that could be a feature instead of a bug.
Other Thoughts: Several OB areas that genuinely come into play. The course is fit into a pretty compact space and driveways and sidewalks do come into play.

I am pleased to have access to a course of this quality as my new "regular" course.

The "New" Murdock Park

1    10/20/2012   10/20/2012
Review By: kingjames1014
Pros: - 18 holes with dual teepads.
- Good mixture of mature trees and tight woods.
- Directional signs on baskets point to next tee. Directional signs also on paths in wooded part of course.
- Good mix of shot selections.
- 2-3 elevated baskets and 1 ground level.
- A lot of work went into redesigning and improving this course.
Cons: - Temporary teesigns for now ( permanent teesigns are coming)
- Mixture of basket types (Mach 3 & Chainstars) could be a problem for some.
- Mixture of teepads( Pavers and Rubber mats) could be a problem for some.
- Not too much difference between Orange and White tees on most holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course for a park course. I never played the old layout but i can summize from the earlier reviews that it was awful. I would suggest that those people should come play Murdock's new layout.