Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park - Gold Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #17 (Taken 12/2014)
Hole #17 Grey/Gold Tee

Highest rated course in Charlotte? How?

1    3/1/2015   3/8/2015
Review By: Notverygood
This review was updated on 3/10/2015
Pros: There are some cool pin placements and greens that really challenge you and force you to re-evaluate a lay up vs. running for it Hole #2 long basket comes to mind! The basket sits on the edge of a ravine. If you miss, you miss big

The course has a broad variety of shots. Long bombs, tough narrow shots, everything
Cons: Signage signage signage....
For being the highest rated public course in the Charlotte area I was beyond disappointed. I had read and heard so many good things about how awesome Renn. is, so I couldn't wait to try it. And after playing many of the other highly rated Charlotte courses I had high expectations.

My round started out by a confusing walk around the tennis courts looking for the tee pad. Knowing that there are the Grey and Gold options for the course, I was looking for two tee pads. Maybe there are, maybe there aren't? I could only find one.

The tee signs didn't help guide me along very much, and after the first 3 holes I was starting to get frustrated.

By the time I made it into the wooded "ravine" area I was beyond lost, and walking around just looking for the correct tee pad and basket. There were NO signs directing me were to go, and with so many holes crammed into one area, fairways criss-crossing each other, and the two layouts It was hard to even find the correct fairway.

Other Thoughts: I'm disappointed that this course is the highest rated course here in Charlotte, and I feel that I must've missed the allure of the course. I'm sure I will play it again, and hopefully be able to update my review, but given the lack of direction, signage, tee pads, clear fairways, etc. I can't ever see this course being rated higher than 3 stars in its current condition.

I'm sure this review will get me plenty of "un-helpful" votes, but I stand by my review. The course is almost impossible to find your way through, not a trait of a 4+ rated course...

Good luck deciphering your way through the first 9 holes...

1    6/8/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: There were some great holes and some extreme challenges and these were much appreciated. The course definitely requires all shots and is not for the beginner. Appreciated the unique basket placements and the risk/reward factor in play on several holes.
Cons: Hate to be the odd guy out but this was one of the most difficult courses to navigate I have ever played. Completely missed #5 and #6 after roaming the woods and ravines for a long time. Very grown up in places - #2 and #7 come to mind. Several places where the fairways crossed posing risk of being hit on a crowded day. Signage was poor and trash was everywhere. From out of state and was really look forward to playing this "super" course but left feeling very disappointed. Much more impressed with quality of Angry Beaver, Hornets Nest, and Winget.