Charlotte, NC

Vegetation station

2-4    6/1/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 8/22/2013
Pros: -Renaissance or Renny is a great park that is family friendly. Many recreational activities to choose from at this park. Plus, there is a nature trail but it's a real hike on the course.
-Navigation is MUCH easier because there are two next tee arrows on every transition. Gray next tee arrows for the gray course and gold next tee arrows for Renny gold.
-This is in the top 10 in NC and this course has everything a disc golfer could have. There is so much variety and amazing greens on this course (particularly #8's fifteen foot rock green.) Heck, that's not even it. #14's green is a platform and #18 has a rollaway green by the ravine along with #2's. There are also many trecherous greens.
-Some cool props on the course. A couple fairways have a rock on it, the lifeguard chair beside #9 is awesome, the powerlines on #15. Wow!
-#14 on the gold #13 on the gray is one of the greatest par 4s. A 564 foot dogleg left with a 30' elevation drop into a small opening in the woods and is on a platform green.
-#8 on the gold #9 on the gray is another great hole. A big downhill shot thatgoes into a big opening in the woods. The hole only plays maybe 270' but an overthrow can get you into the bottom of the hill, which is an overgrown ravine.
-Benches and trashcans on every hole. Believe me, you will have to sit for a while at least once. You really will need to, I played two rounds and I'm really worn out.
-Practice basket by the kiosk close to #1. #1 is beside the tennis court.
-Teepads are about 10' long. Should be good for most players. My run up is exactly that length. They are concrete so that's always a good thing!
-Many people who have played here years ago loved the old #11 and #12 on the original (Gray) course. They are back! They were pretty fun for me.
-Elevation is used very well throughout the course. Some holes have elevation changes of around 30 ft.
-The 1042' foot par 5. #11 Gold is a very fun long bomb. You get the opprotunity to just launch your driver a few times on this hole. I should have brought my aerobie pro because #12 is another open bomb. If you have an aerobie pro, you will want to throw it. #12 gold is a 617' foot par 4 and it would be fun to throw an aerobie 600' feet on an open hole like that one.
-My dad likes regular golf and on the other side of Renaissance, there is a golf course that's isolated from the course.
Cons: -Well, I'm going to just say that Renaissance isn't a summer course, vegetation gets very bad and #14 Gold #13 Gray's vegetation almost make it unplayable, I lost two discs on that hole. This is a winter course, in winter, vegetation isn't so bad.
-Erosion is getting pretty bad. I can see that roots have be moved in the fairway. The WRONG spot. It's making the fairways a mess.
-#13 on the gold layout has trees in the fairway that catch discs. I had to throw my Viking to get my pro starfire out.
-Some transitions are very steep. Particularly from #6 to #7 and you have to walk back up the hill from #13 Gray #14 gold to get to the next hole. This course is a hike and has very long holes. I must admit, it was foolish of me to play two rounds here, I should have stopped at one. Playing more than one round here can wear out your body. My parents had to get me a couple sodas after they were done shopping because I was super thirsty and needed more energy after I was done. I drank a Mountain Dew like a camel so I wouldn't fall asleep. Bring a cooler and refill your bottle of water and rest for about twenty minutes if you plan to play this course more than once. I drank all my water before I was done with round 2. You need energy to play this course. Water WOULD be better than soda, I just needed caffeine because I was about to fall asleep.
-#1 gold is hard to find. The tee is marked by spraypaint on the end of the sidewalk by the tennis courts. It's a tricky teeshot under a few small trees.
-#11 and #12 gray's fairways need to be cut. I almost lost my wraith (Which I lost on #13) on #12.
Other Thoughts: -Renaissance is a truly great disc golf experience. I'm so glad I only live 30 minutes from this course. Charlotte is an amazing place to be if you love disc golf! This course, along with RL Smith and Nevin are three of some of the best courses in NC!
-Renaissance on the gray isn't a super difficult course. It's not very forgiving if you don't place your drive well and there will be times when you will be stuck in the woods and will have to throw a very short but safe shot out. Ripping it on some of the holes here will mean that you are taking a big risk, #14 on the gray which is also #10 on the gold has a big rock blocking you from going further down the fairway. That hole gets eagled on both layouts but it can be super hard to even make a par on that hole. Every hole on this course has a way to really mess up your score. Every hole asks you "How will you play it?" That question will make you think on some holes. Will you risk going big and possibly make a birdie or will you play it safely? Well, I went for it on every hole and it wasn't a good idea. I shot +10 on the gray and +14 on the gold. An example of a hole to go for the birdle would be #9 gold/#10 gray. It doesn't take much to get a 3 on that hole. An example of a hole not to go for the birdie would be #18. The ravine is very steep with lots of vegetation, it's OB as well. You will have to decide what you will do, just like at Nevin.
-The gold course can easily tear you to shreds. #13 is an example here. I triple bogeyed that hole, it tore me to shreds. #7 did too. I cought a roller in the creek on #7. That hole messed me up as well. I know that I what to play Renny again and again but some holes you will not want to play again but those two holes I really blew up on will make you better at the game. This entire course gray and gold will make you better at the game. You may not get better the next time and you may not realize when you get better but you will because this course, along with Nevin make the other Charlotte courses seem easier. I would recommend that whoever lives around Charlotte plays this as much as they can in the winter, so you won't lose four discs like I did, heh heh. Or you should play Nevin as much as you can, I find Nevin harder than this course but this course will make you better just as well as Nevin will.
-Send me a message and tell me what else you want to know if this isn't enough for you.

Renny Gold!!!

2-4    3/2/2013   4/15/2013
Review By: zjones9
Pros: Extremely challenging course that will make you think on almost every shot. There is a lot of risk/reward type holes, with hole 18 being the signature one (do you lay your second shot up to the left of the ravine, or do you throw over the gorge and risk an OB penalty?). It is truly a championship caliber course and will be one that you won't forget for a long time to come!
Cons: Not many...I guess the park can get a little crowded at times, but this has little effect on the disc golf course. Also, the layout can be a little hard to follow without a map especially because there are two layouts.
Other Thoughts: Bring your A-game because this course requires both distance and accuracy. As mentioned above, there are two layouts, but if you are a serious disc golfer and only are able to play one...don't pass up Renny Gold!

There were three major challenges to Renny (Beg/Interm. Review)

1    1/20/2013   1/20/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros: + All amenities in place: practice basket, some tee signs, all permanent tees, some trash cans, easy to see baskets in great shape, lots of consideration has been taken to ensure proper footing is possible (stones and wooden steps, bridges, etc.)
+ Lots of great landscapes are incorporated in one huge course
+ I never felt claustrophobic like they were limited in space and just tried to cram some holes in
Cons: - Tee pads have a bumpy rock texture that I personally didn't like
- Course layout is confusing and inconsistently marked
- Baskets should be marked short/long or whatever, but especially for which layout the basket belongs to: gold or gray..
Other Thoughts: The three major challenges to this course were as follows, in order of significance: 1) Following the course layout, 2) Avoiding the grand canyon, and 3) Hard putting.

Following the course layout was almost perfectly doable with the Gold map online. The line between doable and not really doable is very fine, however. I believe there are probably disc golfers out there who couldn't comfortably and correctly navigate Renaissance. Even with checking ahead to see if the pin placement is as depicted on the course map, it was still difficult to figure out transitions (15 to 16 and 16 to 17 specifically). Plus 14 was kind of confusing. Even 18 carried a sense of doubt until we got close enough to the basket to realize we were actually going to throw over the grand canyon to the basket. In hindsight, for the most part, we just had to follow our instincts (except from 15-16 where it seems like you should follow the path along the road). That's all just with the course layout as it is, that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that there are two layouts in place right now with signs for both. Sometimes you see a sign for one course, sometimes the other. Sometimes you'll see a basket 8 where you think basket 7 should be and realize you don't know if you got switched from Renny Gold to Renny Gray... It's kinda crazy.

**Update**: I've seen the new Renny signs that have since been put up and they are sweet!

Renny's grand canyon as well as the course's many little valleys are both treacherous and humbling. The difference between par and bogey gets small very quickly when you consider how easy it would be for a gust of wind to come right when you throw over them or even throwing next to them.

Never have I really had to weigh risk vs reward so much when trying to make a simple putt. If there's a small margin between hitting a putt perfectly and missing it with terrible consequences, you really start to slow down and put your all into each and every putt. This isn't true for all holes, of course, but I would say a significant amount of them. Bring your short game.

That being said, the huge holes are in the middle of the course where they should be. Perfectly placed to allow you to air out your drive after you've warmed up on the front 9. I really appreciated this. The beginners I played with found these holes tedious and too long. They were only throwing 250-275 max, though. Add the trees in and they were up to 7 and 8 shots for the big holes :D

All that being said, it was a very very fun course. I was challenged in distance and accuracy and enjoyed some great elevation change. The layout was creative and the landscape was really cool (especially holes 3 through 7). I appreciated the landing zones with boulders and rock structured greens. I also really enjoyed how the baskets were placed on man-made and natural structures. It's a good mix of all the various characteristics of other disc golf courses in Charlotte's blended into one really cool and huge course.

**Update**: After playing seven Charlotte courses, I also want to make sure I emphasize that Renny Gold is probably too much for brand new throwers. It will teach you a lot, but I don't think there's any one part of disc golf that Renaissance puts emphasis on that would amount to a good learning experience. If simply playing for pleasure, DO IT! In my non-expert opinion, new Charlotte players may want to work up to Renaissance with Hornet's (upshot accuracy), R.L. Smith (controlled putting), Bradford (overall accuracy), Eastway (distance), and Reedy for a good in-between course that blends all aspects.

That was Fun

1    12/15/2012   12/17/2012
Review By: Radarx
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: While on vacation in the NC area I made sure to include Renny as one of my stops. I must say this course is one of the toughest I have played but also one of the most I enjoyed playing.

There are what I call spectacular holes on this course (2, 8, 13, 18 in my opinion). Renny has just about every type of hole you could ask for in a course, from tight wooded holes with lots of elevation to long open holes.

The length of the course and elevation is a workout and adds to the toughness of the course.

A course which will you will use most of the disc in your bag. A true gem of a course and a must stop if your in the area.
Cons: At the time of this review signage is a major problem. Its a shame a course like this with so much potential to be one of the top rated courses in the entire country has such poor signage. Renny Black, Gold and now Gray? I actually seen that name posted on a couple holes and thought there were 3 layouts. There were a few playable original holes not on the map here that I missed the first time through but found on the second round when getting directional help from others on the course.

Good news is that I happen to run into the course designer while on the course and they were walking the course taking notes to improve the signage so help is on the way!

Course could use a sign board with a large course map, lost disc drop off near the 1st hole. If there was one I did not see it.
Other Thoughts: Its a tough course but it really has a Fun Factor which offsets the toughness.

Clearly correct signage for the gold-black or gray tees, make sure the basket numbers match, throw in beginner friendly Rec tees and you got one of the top rated courses in the country.

With all the elevations on this course it was great to see the many steps and bridges created to make the walk safer. I lot of courses lack this feature but not this one! Not only were there steps but many were painted so you could see them well.

Basket placement is very creative here and is part of what makes this course unique and challenging. Several locations will make you lay-up or take a high risk putt.

I have to mention the awesome park itself which has many features including bathrooms, pleanty of parking

Date: 12/17/2012 Designer Response by: Stan McDaniel
Myself and our club, CDGC, apologize to all for the poor signage. It has been an issue for years. I did walk the course Saturday , as mentioned above, with club member Ox, who is in the process of making new tee signs and also for plenty of directional aids to the next tee. THis is one of the reasons I did not want to bring a short layout back to Renny, but locals really wanted a short layout there. So, hopefully the soon-to-come signage will make navigation easier.

Toughest course

5+    10/6/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 4/4/2014
Pros: This course is the toughest course I have ever played and rarely if ever do I say to myself "This hole is unfair".

The Greens here are very tough and very guarded making for some interesting putts.

The holes are designed to make you think which I love. Course managment is the name of the game at Renny. How much do you bite off? Is it worth the risk? You will ask yourself these questions the entire round.

Brand New 28 chain baskets.

The Black course is no more so there is no confusion about which basket is which.

Elevation is used very well throughout the course
Cons: The course gets kinda rough and can be a disc eater.

Some Fairways and greens not used during worlds are overgrown and look kinda bad.

The roughness also takes away from the aesthetics of the course.

Erosion is getting pretty bad.

Rounds take a lot of time and a lot of energy
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy my rounds at Renny. When you play this course it is unlikely you will find yourself getting a bunch of birdies. Keep it in the middle and try to survive is the best plan you can have. I recomend this course to any player who is looking to challenge one of the toughest courses out there.

On Another Level

2-4    1/9/2012   9/25/2012
Review By: atay87
Pros: -Has the perfect mix of woodedness and openness.
-Forces you to use everyshot and disc in your bag.
-Many par 4's and 5's which is a requirement for a top notch course IMO. They really let you play golf by forcing you to calculate each shot rather than simply getting as close to basket as you can from the tee.
Other Thoughts: I've only played the Gold layout, but out of the 56 courses I've played, it is 2nd (behind Flyboy) and nothing else has come close. Make sure you play it if you are near the Charlotte area.

Extreme disc golf

5+    8/10/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: Steelo
This review was updated on 8/26/2012
Pros: The biggest, longest and most challenging course in the area (along with Charlottes Web).
If you like to throw long this is the course for you to test your long range accuracy.
Cons: More signage needed as new players tend to get lost on the back nine. Just print a map or play with some locals if it is your first time.
Erosion is a problem and it is muddy in the wet months
Other Thoughts: Use spotters when throwing in blind areas, like to the green of 18. Disc eating bushes and thorns are abundant

Long and wide!

2-4    4/12/2012   7/10/2012
Review By: JGraham83
Pros: Definitely will get a workout here. Many holes are really long, however fairways are generally wide which offer a lot of forgiveness. Great place to chuck and throw it.
Cons: Bike trail intersects with course at many points. Can slow your game down as you wait for them to get completely out of the way.
Other Thoughts: Not easy to play by yourself the first time unless you know exactly where to go. I recommend following a group or asking to play with someone.

Disappointed

1    6/8/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: There were some great holes and some extreme challenges and these were much appreciated. The course definitely requires all shots and is not for the beginner. Appreciated the unique basket placements and the risk/reward factor in play on several holes.
Cons: Hate to be the odd guy out but this was one of the most difficult courses to navigate I have ever played. Completely missed #5 and #6 after roaming the woods and ravines for a long time. Very grown up in places - #2 and #7 come to mind. Several places where the fairways crossed posing risk of being hit on a crowded day. Signage was poor and trash was everywhere. From out of state and was really look forward to playing this "super" course but left feeling very disappointed. Much more impressed with quality of Angry Beaver, Hornets Nest, and Winget.

Renny Gold is Gold

5+    4/16/2012   5/26/2012
Review By: The Ox
Pros: Renny Gold layout is the best of the best. It is extremely challenging and truly world caliber. Long distance and drastic elevation changes give even the best player a hard time. Long distance control and placement shots which keep you in the fairway are key to surviving.
Cons: Beginners will not enjoy Renny Gold. Nor will they appreciate and understand its greatness. Go off the fairway in certain areas and you may be searching for your disc for an extended period of time.
Other Thoughts: Currently the course only has baskets in the Gold Positions in order to allow for visiting Pros to practice for upcoming World Championship in July.

Maintenance is ongoing in preperation for the worlds. Club members have been spraying for poison ivy recently as it has begun to grow quickly with the weather. Wear long socks with shorts.