Charlotte, NC
Hole #2 Long Tee

a true test

5+    11/30/2009   12/4/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: this course will test you. every hole is a challenge. there are birdie opportunities, but only if you play often.most hole have a "risk-reward" quality to them. some other reveiws have been harsh to the fact that you need to be a decent player to score well on this course.
Cons: it can get messy after a rain. the course is built on a old land fill. elevation and mud dont mix well. bring lots of water in the summer, cause it is a hike.
Other Thoughts: probably the best course in charlotte. has good use of elevation, open holes, wooded holes , up hill shots, downhill shots, a challenge to make par on every hole. ive played here over 30 times and still have have not broken par. if you feel like you are playing well, come here to bring yourself back down to reality. i love this course for its challenge, it is a top notch course worthy of at least 3hours drive to play. stan mcdaniel is a mastermind of chaos

One Tough Cookie

1    12/4/2009   12/4/2009
Review By: wbeaty
Pros: Very tough course. It will make you throw shots that you don't think are part of your game.
Cons: Very muddy after a rain. Hard to follow even with a map. Lots of elevation changes. Tee boxes and next Tee signs are not very helpful.
Other Thoughts: Take a map with you if you've never played before. There is no short basket on 1. Also, the original #7 is closed. They have re-organized the course as follows. #7 is the old 8, #8 is the old 9, #9 is the old 10, #10 is the old 11, #11 is the old 12. #12 is the Gold 12, #13 is the Gold 13, #14 is the Gold 14, 15-18 are the same.

One of the Greatest Courses In The World

1    5/8/2009   9/25/2009
Review By: Kiknwitcooper
Pros: By Far the Greatest Course I have ever played. Every shot is used at this course. If you can't thorw far than stay clear of this course. One of the sites for many Disc Golf Tournaments and The World Championships. If you shoot Par, you're a pretty nasty Disc Golfer.
Cons: There are no Cons except bring 2 bag lunches, your gonna need it. And Lots Of Water. Bunch of walking.
Other Thoughts: Designed by Stan McDaniel, who is one of the premier Disc Golf Designers. Go play Hornet's Nest as well

Too much for me. :-(

1    9/7/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: A long and challenging course layout will build your shot making skills if you play here consistently. It's cool and easy to differentiate between the original course and the gold course. I travelled 3 hours north to play it with my buddies based on the positive press received here.
Cons: I hate to slam the place that everyone seems to love so much, but I just want to put it out there for people playing in the future.

The fairways and almost all of the grass needed to be cut very badly. The tee signage was OK, but the next-T stuff was generally terrible. It seemed that additional holes were being moved or added and this created a lot of confusion even among the groups of locals we encountered.

Lots of thorns/thistle and dense underbrush off the fairways caused several people (including locals) to complain very vocally about being cut, etc.

And dare I say it, but the ravine on hole 18 is simply dangerous. If playing with younger kids - watch out. It's not visible until you are right up on it and falling down it would definitely hurt someone.
Other Thoughts: This course is hard. I'm not listing that as a pro or con because everyone has a different sort of game and expectations about what they are looking to achieve. I know if kicked my butt good (I shot a 70 on the original course). I lost 2 discs due to errant throws - again not a con as that was my fault. This course rewards accurate play. If you can't throw it where you want it, you will pay.

I like the course on a certain level, I really do. I've just played other courses that I enjoyed a lot more.

Tough Love

1    8/18/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Variety of shots needed. Does not seem to favor forehand or backhand shots. You must throw long and accurate to score well. Multiple tee and basket positions. Decent signs and flow of course. Plenty of parking. Seems remote, but is easy to get to from anywhere in the Charlotte area. Play it if you need to feel challenged.
Cons: One tough mother. Not a course for the beginner. Could eat discs if you are not accurate or paying attention. Could be muddy and messy after rain. Not a real scenic beauty.
Other Thoughts: I was Ving Rhames and Renny was the cop form Pulp Viction. I feel violated and humiliated. Just when I thought I was getting better Renny slapped me around like a sex slave in Far East. The only good news was that it was between me and her, and there were no witness's. I lie here in the fetal position trying decide whether I should put my discs on ebay tonight, or sleep on it. But I know there will be no sleep for me...

5+    8/3/2009   8/8/2009
Review By: wooky
Pros: This is by and far the way to play DG. This course is well maintained and technically the hardest course I have had the pleasure to play. The course will require you to play all of your shots and accuracy is a hard learned lesson here. Renny will earn your respect by beating you down both physically and mentally, but for the good. This course will increase your game 10 fold.
Cons: There is none other than it has the mis fortune of costing you valuable plastic if you are not careful
Other Thoughts: Thanks to CDGC for a great course and to mullet for all of his hard work

OG Renny

1    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: They said it was hard, I didn't believe them. Hell, I've been playing hard and steady for almost 2 years, poring over technique videos, thumbing the great annals of disc history, countless hours in the practice field. None of it mattered. Arrgh, this course be a dangerous mistress indeed. This course is long and hard; it does not hesitate to stick this fact where the sun doesn't shine either. It has everything you want. It simply is on a different level than all the courses I've played. It made me swear curses I didn't know I knew. Elevation? Check. Variety? Check. Wooded and Open? Check and check. Immaculate park, maintenance, etc.
Cons: "At that moment, the Chosen One learned a valuable lesson about iron claws... THEY HURT LIKE CRAP MAN." - Master Tang from Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. This is pretty much my summation of all the cons, just substitute iron claws with the rough. This is a disc eating monster. I lost my coveted Star Teebird and my beat, trusty Dx bottom stamped Roc. Losing discs is not fun. This course can very easily be not fun. Think of Renny as playing Russian Roulette. It's hard to have fun when you are sweating every placement throw. There are also a few holes that you can't really see where your disc ends up due to the elevation change, spotters are pretty necessary. B/w holes 9 and 10 is disc eating nastiness (sorry Teebird). 18 has some too (sorry Roc).
Other Thoughts: This is the 1st course I've rated a 5. I didn't want to, I really didn't. I had a craptastic time. I birdied one hole, I slipped and tripped more times I can remember, scratched up by thorns. It kicked my arse worse than a tequila hangover. But it earned my respect. DO NOT play this course after taking 3 months off to heal your tendinitis. If you don't have perfect control over your discs you need not apply unless you have discs to get rid of.

Come Feed the Monster!!!!

5+    8/3/2010   5/31/2009
Review By: albert8fish
This review was updated on 8/3/2010
Pros: Now that all the new courses are around town I came back to my Renny review to say I lowered the score a half disc for taking out the short course. I liked it a lot. Especially old seven. Still play it daily, still in LOVE with my hatred of this park I call home. Since my review I have tamed this beast.Par and under rounds instead of twenty over. You gotta think it through and execute precisely to start seeing birdies. Chase par here and become a better player at least once in your life.
Cons: the cons are as follows...it is a free park, but I spend 20 bucks a time in lost discs.....gotta throw accurate or go home mad, hard to figure out if you don't live there like I do....took me 3 times pro and 2 times am to seperate the 2 in my head.oh yeah, 1042 ft. longest hole in NC i suppose!!
Other Thoughts: love this place, will round you out as a player, will make you play the game like it was meant to be played....in the woods, and cursing.see you at hole 9 on the boulders!!I play here daily, I am obsessed with this place.

2-4    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Tough, most difficult course in Charlotte, by far. Both layouts are very challenging. You will be hard pressed to find a course more difficult than the Gold Layout. Distance and accuracy are required here. Wooded, open, multi-shot, elevation changes this course has it all. Design is spectacular with awesome hole locations. All shots are required to shot anything near par. Take advantage of the front nine as there a few birdie chances as they will not come easy on the back nine. Bring water, this course requires severe endurance.
Cons: Navigation can be a bit tricky especially on the gold layout. Print a map from the Charlotte DG website.
Other Thoughts: Not for beginners. Everyone else don't be afraid.
Favorite hole -- #9. Downhill 300'+ feet. Basket on top of huge bolder surrounded by other large bolders.
Hardest Hole -- Most.

Enjoyed my time but wore me out.

1    5/14/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This course will test everything you have. I was able to team up with 3 regulars who were great in taking me through the course.

Since other reviewers have done the hole by hole I will skip that.

The course is well taken care of and seems to be in a constant state of improvement. The group here is working hard to make this a classy course.

Bridges and stairs are everywhere. The big stairway into the ravine is a godsend.

You have bathrooms available and parking is plentiful. With the high use of the park for other things, there are a bunch of volleyball courts that were packed the day I played, you will find picnic areas, water fountains. and plenty of people to play disc golf with.

My favorite basket was 5. It was a great challenge technically.

The spotting tower on 10 was a great asset.
Cons: I and 18 are near roads and parking areas so be careful.

That ravine nearly killed me. I am 48 with a bad leg. I had one end up in there and it is a bear to get it off the side walls of the ravine. The bottom is not to bad if you have a spotter, on top, because the stairs are sound. Just hope it dose not get on the side walls where you will have to climb up or down to get it. The sides are made of clay and I saw some poison oak in there.

The logging that was on 10, to the right, will definitely help the course but made it a nightmare for me in the short run.

Some signage needs to be improved. Without help and or a map this would be a difficult course to get through.
Other Thoughts: I thought a lot about the grade for this course. In fact of all the courses I have played this one was hardest to decide.

It is a must play course if you are in the area.

It is a great place to play. Especially if you have some experience already. But there were probably 60 people that day and I now know why I was by far the oldest.

If you are new please have someone with you and/or make sure you have brass ones.

It is probably not family friendly either. This is the perfect course for the players that like there golf and want a challenge each time out.

The ravine means you better be careful.

This course is very good and they will have it even better in time. But for me to get to excellent it needs to have a part that is more user friendly for others. It has the room. Or the signage were better I could jump it up to 4.