Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park Share
Hole #1 Short Tee

A for Awesome!

5+    12/30/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: There is nothing I can add that has not already been said repeatedly, so here is an overview of what I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+ (This course is the pinnacle of decision making combined with execution....and harsh but fair penalty for sins in either area....gotta love it!)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A (Original is ideal for me = A+. Lots of the Gold holes are too long for me to score birdies, par often feels routine/boring and a bogey is a downer = B. I lose accuracy over 300' and that is not enough to score really well on Gold.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A- (Use of topography on both is outstanding! Original forces much more touchy/finessey shaped shots, but are still demanding in length = A+. Gold is more about length/accuracy and less about shot shaping = B)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B- (This is the only area Renny hurts in. There are a few pretty spots to breathe in some beauty, but overall it is pretty rough feeling - under a powerline for most of the front, and brambles, sludge and scrubby trees on the back. Renny's holes on Idlewild's KY land = heaven!)
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- A (I would give an A+, but my opinion is that some of the OB rubs salt in the wound too much. For example the OB on the creek left of 8O/7G's fairway adds an unneccessary stroke to a lie that will already take you 1 and probably 2 strokes to recover from. And, as stated before, some landing zones on Gold are too long for me to reach......but, it is a Gold course and I am not a Gold player.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Oh....and a PS: I love the online "Be the Disc!" narrated fly-by videos! :)

Not for beginners!!!

1    3/31/2009   3/31/2009
Review By: Youngblood
This review was updated on 4/2/2009
Pros: Elevation, Elevation and Elevation! Gorgeous scenery, extremely challenging. Park office on-sight that offers course map and score card. Bridges and stairs provided. Course is laid out extremely well and it is obvious that allot of time and work went into this course. The course is convenient to uptown Charlotte and is not far off the interstate. Benches or sitting area's at nearly every hole and you will need it!
Cons: Well these are minor as this course is a masterpiece! However the back 9 can get EXTREMELY muddy after a rain and will take a few weeks to dry out. (However the park has laid out carpet on some of the really bad parts but it is still very muddy). Their is allot of traffic noise coming from the road that hurts the beautiful scenery. The course lay out can be very confusing - GET A MAP!!! There are quite a few blind shots - but I like those as they make the game a bit more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I have to admit this course was bit much for me. I am nowhere near the caliber of player that should play this course, but the course is a masterpiece. You will be challenged to throw over creeks and ravines like you have never imagined! Make an errant shot and you will pay for it dearly!!! This is worth a long drive to see this course!. I highly recommend this course to any players who are experienced or advanced!!

Better than the video

1    3/22/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 8/27/2009
Pros: Original course: Great variety of shots. Elevation changes. Short & long holes. Open & wooded. Clean with animal proof trash cans & nice concrete tee pads. Mando's, OB's & creeks. Great benches. Nice tee signs. Wood bridge crossings, beautiful landscaping, & tee box/pin supports, directional markers all show that the Charlotte DG club has made a large commitment. Aug '09- Played the 'Gold' course. The 'gold' layout adds length & complexity. The grass was high so lost discs were a problem. Throwing my disc into the fairway would help in most cases. Keep it out of the shule!
Cons: Some muddy spots.
Other Thoughts: After having seen this course showcased on a number of videos I couldn't wait to actually play it. This course seems bigger than life in person.

Amazing Course.

5+    12/17/2008   2/17/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: Upon playing this course it is mind boggling at how much work it must have taken to build . Course offers every kind of shot you would want on a perfectly maintained course. Nice Teepads, benches and trashcans throughout course. Clean restrooms and water fountains near hole one. The original layout is challenging but can be enjoyed by all skill level players. The Gold course is Championship caliber and will demand your best game from the first drive to the last putt.
Cons: Only negative I can say is the course can get a bit muddy after a rain.
Other Thoughts: Quite possibly the best course in NC, and should be played by everyone that gets the oppurtunity.

Renny

5+    2/10/2009   2/10/2009
Review By: Virtual PBandJ
Pros: -One of the hardest permanent courses in the world, offers an amazing challenge for golfers of all levels
-Two great layouts that overlap however they offer completely different experiences
-Well designed technical and long par 4s and 5s
-No two holes are similar, new challenge on every tee
-Good signage, hard to get lost
-You feel as if every hole was built not just installed in the woods
Cons: -It would be nice if the park had more facilities
Other Thoughts: A must play for any aspiring course designers, or anyone looking for a true challenge.

: ) :

Long, long, long

1    8/7/2008   2/7/2009
Review By: DiscJunkie
This review was updated on 2/27/2009
Pros: Difficult, long, challenging, fun, well-designed. Great use of alternate tees and baskets. Very inventive use of elevation. Mix of fairly narrow wooded holes and wide open holes. You will need every shot in your bag for righties and lefties. The Gold course is looong.
Cons: Can be confusing to navigate, lots of blind tee shots. The original course is overlayed by the Gold course, so there can be some confusion when navigating the course.
The woods can be thick, you will make quite a few blind throws, and the slopes that border the holes can be prohibitive. This is an easy place to lose your disc.
Other Thoughts: This is a really pretty course, but it is a long hike up and down lots of elevation. It's a great challenge, but take your time and take it easy. It will take some stamina to finish because it is hot in the summer and windy in the winter. The Gold course navigates an old bike trail, so it can be messy when it's been raining.

Jaw Dropping Experience

1    6/7/2006   2/3/2009
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This is one of the toughest courses I have ever played! Several holes are unique and memorable. As you approach each new tee you think "what could possibly be next!"
Cons: When I was there we had to ask somebody where the first tee was (it is kind of hidden.) Not really a con, but I remember being physically and mentally exhausted coming up the 18th fairway!!!
Other Thoughts: I have only played it once, so you can read the reviews of those who have played it more recently and more often for more details.

Bottom line is this is one of the best and most challenging courses there is. It is a MUST PLAY. I can't wait to play it again.

Not for the faint of heart

2-4    1/3/2009   1/3/2009
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 11/2/2009
Pros: This course is definately one of a kind. When my friends and I play other courses alot of times we make comparisons. Like this course is like that course or this course is like this course and that course combined. However the Renny is like nothing else I have ever played. The first two holes are in the open and still play harder then I thought they would. Then you go into the woods. 3 and 4 play like any wooded course but then you take a look at five and start having a harder time visualizing the shot. It is a short uphill hyzer with lots of trees and as easy as it looks I still never birdied it! The woods will continue to beat you down untill finally you get to one of their signature holes. Throwing down a hill into a cascade of rocks with the basket sitting nicely on top of them. Throw it short and you are in the woods. Long and you are in a muddy mess! If you have confidence in your putting ability you can drill your putt and go on to the next hole. But if you have any doubt in your mind you better lay up or you will find yourself 40 feet below the basket on the other side. The next hole is one of the easiest holes as a 300 hyzer will put you in good shape for a birdie or an easy par. Par on this course is like a birdie on most other courses. I gave myself a big pat on the back for a par, the two or three times it happened! The rest of the holes from here on out have a nice open fairway but usually end up with a basket in some trees or on top of a hill making the risk reward factor as high as it can be. If you can manage to hold yourself together untill the 17th hole you are doing better than me as I was black and blue by then and begging for mercy! 17 will now take another stab at destroying your score as it is probably 600 feet or more to the hole and 200 trees in between! The best I could do there was a bogey and that was with tomahawks the hole way. 18 is a nice finish if you can throw 500 feet. A noob like me took a double bogey and went home feeling like I was thrown down a mountain and left for dead!
Cons: At the time that your a$$ is getting stomped you will be thinking that ol Renny is one mean unfair SOB! I left thinking that the course accentuated chance way too much and I wouldn't be back anytime soon. Then I was back again the next day for another round. Ol Renny whooped me again, but this time I was only 25 over instead of 30+.
Other Thoughts: Definately a must see, the most difficult course I have ever played. I think a newer player, however, can have more fun at other courses in the area.

Love this Course!

1    11/4/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: There is something about this course that I just can't explain. Even after playing the famed Idlewild a few days ago and naming it my new favorite, I think this course still has top honors with me. Here are my thoughts on the holes (Gold Course):
1 - Have to throw under the trees, and stay right, with huge D to make a good lie, not the easiest thing to do for a RHBH.
2 - You can go HUGE hyzer like the pros do, but i could not, played through the stand of trees, and ended up decent, then you have to clear a big ditch before ending up on a green that is both tiny and the basket is elevated 10 or so feet.
3 - Nice tight wooded fairway, but not to hard to clear, then the basket is waaay back to the right in a circle of trees.
4 - Loooooong rising/falling fairway, ends in a wall of railrod-ties, with the basket at left about 15 feet higher.
5 - You have to throw up a huge hill with very tight trees, then at the top of the hill go left another 60-70 feet with a drop-off on your left.
6 - Not a very long hole, but don't let it fool you, if you throw long you'll go off the drop-off at the end, hard not to go to far, definitely makes you think twice about trying to ring the chains from very far out.
7 - The first mando tree is rediculous, like 10' away and NOT in danger of being hit, but I guess some people have hit it, hence why it is a Mando. Definitely stay out of the creek to the left, it is NOT fun to retrieve a disc from (ask me how I know). I don't see how anyone could ever 3 this hole. After you drive ~400-450 feet right then gentle left, you have to dogleg right then up a hill and the to the right another few hundred feet.
8 - Very cool, but the hill is deceiving. I threw an Eagle GENTLY and it went long OB. Finish in a very cool rock-formation green with hugely elevated basket.
9 - BLIND shot up over a hill, then you have to clear a semi-circle of rocks that are like 7 feet tall, very cool
10 - up a hill to a tunnel fairway with a massive boulder in the way, then dogleg right up another hill to the basket.
11 - BIG ARM open hole, throw your longest drive 3-4 times and you might be at the basket. Wide open, but curves right so you have to control your flight pretty well.
12 - Another long open hole, but curving left, so a little more forgiving than 11.
13 - Starts open then gradually the trees tighten in on you until the basket is back in some trees at the end of almost 1000 feet of frustration (at least for me).
14 - After walking through a cool little shrubbery "arch" to the tee, you have to go long and straight to stay out of the woods, then dogleg left down a hill and up to a 15 foot elevated basket.
15 - Very cool tee where you throw out of the woods down a huge hill. Basket is in the woods that lines the right of the fairway. Don't hit the tower on your drive, and don't overthrow the basket once you get within striking range (OB creek).
16 - Two separate fairways to reach the basket, one to the left sweeping right, and vice versa on the other side. The left fairway is more open, but the right fairway lends itself to RHBH hyzer shots. I messed up and went right into the stand of trees in the middle, but surprisingly it wasn't that thick and I was able to lay up next to the basket on my second shot.
17 - Long straight drive next to the creek, then dogleg right and up a slop to the basket on a slope, harder than it seems.
18 - OK this is the craziest hole. After snaking between two power line towers and several OB areas, you have to throw over a 75 or so foot deep trench to an island green that is roughly the elevation of the fairway. Miss the green and you take an automatic stroke. 800+ feet! But visually AWESOME.
Cons: Some of the walkways and grounds needed attention when I was there, and some of the approaches to the greens were downright dangerous. This course needs some steps, rails, etc added. But that will certainly not keep me from playing it as many times as I can!
Sometimes hard to find the next tee, Course Map definitely recommended.
Other Thoughts: I love all the elevated and extremely creative basket configurations. Overall the course is beautifully laid out and my hat's off to the designer. I wish this were closer to me, I'd play it once or more a week if I could. I guess I'll have to settle for good ole Freeman Lake a few times a week. Definitely have to play this course if you're in the Charlotte area, only 5-10 minutes from the airport, so keep that in mind!

Yarrr!

2-4    11/29/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: governmentthief
This review was updated on 12/1/2008
Pros: Insane course design. This course will challenge you on every front: accuracy, distance, mid-range, putting, skill shots, finesse shots, trick shots. Several long open holes that allow you to sling it. 18 is a monster open hole that needs a good arm. 12 is mostly open as well but once you see the basket position you'll realize its tougher than the par 4 suggests. Holes 3 through 8 are all smashed together in a small area of woods almost cris-crossing one another. Its tight, hilly (on hole five you have to throw a tee-shot directly up a steep hill) and unforgiving. Hole 17 is another satanic hole; a tee shot needs to reach a turn where you then turn 90 degrees and shoot uphill over some small pines to the basket. Once you get out there and see the layout of some of these holes, you cant help but be impressed and scared at the same time. A par is worth celebration on many holes. I actually scored worse my second time out because I remembered what was coming up on each hole. This course will test your mental fortitude. Brilliant.
Cons: Almost sadistic in parts. The footing can be treacherous in wet weather due to the steep inclines and slick red mud. Not the prettiest or cleanest looking course out there.
Other Thoughts: If you like cigarettes as do I, be prepared for an occasional wheeze; there are some crazy inclines here and there.