Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #18 (Taken 3/2009)

OG Renny

1    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: They said it was hard, I didn't believe them. Hell, I've been playing hard and steady for almost 2 years, poring over technique videos, thumbing the great annals of disc history, countless hours in the practice field. None of it mattered. Arrgh, this course be a dangerous mistress indeed. This course is long and hard; it does not hesitate to stick this fact where the sun doesn't shine either. It has everything you want. It simply is on a different level than all the courses I've played. It made me swear curses I didn't know I knew. Elevation? Check. Variety? Check. Wooded and Open? Check and check. Immaculate park, maintenance, etc.
Cons: "At that moment, the Chosen One learned a valuable lesson about iron claws... THEY HURT LIKE CRAP MAN." - Master Tang from Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. This is pretty much my summation of all the cons, just substitute iron claws with the rough. This is a disc eating monster. I lost my coveted Star Teebird and my beat, trusty Dx bottom stamped Roc. Losing discs is not fun. This course can very easily be not fun. Think of Renny as playing Russian Roulette. It's hard to have fun when you are sweating every placement throw. There are also a few holes that you can't really see where your disc ends up due to the elevation change, spotters are pretty necessary. B/w holes 9 and 10 is disc eating nastiness (sorry Teebird). 18 has some too (sorry Roc).
Other Thoughts: This is the 1st course I've rated a 5. I didn't want to, I really didn't. I had a craptastic time. I birdied one hole, I slipped and tripped more times I can remember, scratched up by thorns. It kicked my arse worse than a tequila hangover. But it earned my respect. DO NOT play this course after taking 3 months off to heal your tendinitis. If you don't have perfect control over your discs you need not apply unless you have discs to get rid of.

Come Feed the Monster!!!!

5+    8/3/2010   5/31/2009
Review By: albert8fish
This review was updated on 8/3/2010
Pros: Now that all the new courses are around town I came back to my Renny review to say I lowered the score a half disc for taking out the short course. I liked it a lot. Especially old seven. Still play it daily, still in LOVE with my hatred of this park I call home. Since my review I have tamed this beast.Par and under rounds instead of twenty over. You gotta think it through and execute precisely to start seeing birdies. Chase par here and become a better player at least once in your life.
Cons: the cons are as follows...it is a free park, but I spend 20 bucks a time in lost discs.....gotta throw accurate or go home mad, hard to figure out if you don't live there like I do....took me 3 times pro and 2 times am to seperate the 2 in my head.oh yeah, 1042 ft. longest hole in NC i suppose!!
Other Thoughts: love this place, will round you out as a player, will make you play the game like it was meant to be played....in the woods, and cursing.see you at hole 9 on the boulders!!I play here daily, I am obsessed with this place.

2-4    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Tough, most difficult course in Charlotte, by far. Both layouts are very challenging. You will be hard pressed to find a course more difficult than the Gold Layout. Distance and accuracy are required here. Wooded, open, multi-shot, elevation changes this course has it all. Design is spectacular with awesome hole locations. All shots are required to shot anything near par. Take advantage of the front nine as there a few birdie chances as they will not come easy on the back nine. Bring water, this course requires severe endurance.
Cons: Navigation can be a bit tricky especially on the gold layout. Print a map from the Charlotte DG website.
Other Thoughts: Not for beginners. Everyone else don't be afraid.
Favorite hole -- #9. Downhill 300'+ feet. Basket on top of huge bolder surrounded by other large bolders.
Hardest Hole -- Most.

Enjoyed my time but wore me out.

1    5/14/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This course will test everything you have. I was able to team up with 3 regulars who were great in taking me through the course.

Since other reviewers have done the hole by hole I will skip that.

The course is well taken care of and seems to be in a constant state of improvement. The group here is working hard to make this a classy course.

Bridges and stairs are everywhere. The big stairway into the ravine is a godsend.

You have bathrooms available and parking is plentiful. With the high use of the park for other things, there are a bunch of volleyball courts that were packed the day I played, you will find picnic areas, water fountains. and plenty of people to play disc golf with.

My favorite basket was 5. It was a great challenge technically.

The spotting tower on 10 was a great asset.
Cons: I and 18 are near roads and parking areas so be careful.

That ravine nearly killed me. I am 48 with a bad leg. I had one end up in there and it is a bear to get it off the side walls of the ravine. The bottom is not to bad if you have a spotter, on top, because the stairs are sound. Just hope it dose not get on the side walls where you will have to climb up or down to get it. The sides are made of clay and I saw some poison oak in there.

The logging that was on 10, to the right, will definitely help the course but made it a nightmare for me in the short run.

Some signage needs to be improved. Without help and or a map this would be a difficult course to get through.
Other Thoughts: I thought a lot about the grade for this course. In fact of all the courses I have played this one was hardest to decide.

It is a must play course if you are in the area.

It is a great place to play. Especially if you have some experience already. But there were probably 60 people that day and I now know why I was by far the oldest.

If you are new please have someone with you and/or make sure you have brass ones.

It is probably not family friendly either. This is the perfect course for the players that like there golf and want a challenge each time out.

The ravine means you better be careful.

This course is very good and they will have it even better in time. But for me to get to excellent it needs to have a part that is more user friendly for others. It has the room. Or the signage were better I could jump it up to 4.

A for Awesome!

5+    12/30/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: There is nothing I can add that has not already been said repeatedly, so here is an overview of what I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+ (This course is the pinnacle of decision making combined with execution....and harsh but fair penalty for sins in either area....gotta love it!)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A (Original is ideal for me = A+. Lots of the Gold holes are too long for me to score birdies, par often feels routine/boring and a bogey is a downer = B. I lose accuracy over 300' and that is not enough to score really well on Gold.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A- (Use of topography on both is outstanding! Original forces much more touchy/finessey shaped shots, but are still demanding in length = A+. Gold is more about length/accuracy and less about shot shaping = B)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B- (This is the only area Renny hurts in. There are a few pretty spots to breathe in some beauty, but overall it is pretty rough feeling - under a powerline for most of the front, and brambles, sludge and scrubby trees on the back. Renny's holes on Idlewild's KY land = heaven!)
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- A (I would give an A+, but my opinion is that some of the OB rubs salt in the wound too much. For example the OB on the creek left of 8O/7G's fairway adds an unneccessary stroke to a lie that will already take you 1 and probably 2 strokes to recover from. And, as stated before, some landing zones on Gold are too long for me to reach......but, it is a Gold course and I am not a Gold player.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Oh....and a PS: I love the online "Be the Disc!" narrated fly-by videos! :)

Not for beginners!!!

1    3/31/2009   3/31/2009
Review By: Youngblood
This review was updated on 4/2/2009
Pros: Elevation, Elevation and Elevation! Gorgeous scenery, extremely challenging. Park office on-sight that offers course map and score card. Bridges and stairs provided. Course is laid out extremely well and it is obvious that allot of time and work went into this course. The course is convenient to uptown Charlotte and is not far off the interstate. Benches or sitting area's at nearly every hole and you will need it!
Cons: Well these are minor as this course is a masterpiece! However the back 9 can get EXTREMELY muddy after a rain and will take a few weeks to dry out. (However the park has laid out carpet on some of the really bad parts but it is still very muddy). Their is allot of traffic noise coming from the road that hurts the beautiful scenery. The course lay out can be very confusing - GET A MAP!!! There are quite a few blind shots - but I like those as they make the game a bit more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I have to admit this course was bit much for me. I am nowhere near the caliber of player that should play this course, but the course is a masterpiece. You will be challenged to throw over creeks and ravines like you have never imagined! Make an errant shot and you will pay for it dearly!!! This is worth a long drive to see this course!. I highly recommend this course to any players who are experienced or advanced!!

Better than the video

1    3/22/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 8/27/2009
Pros: Original course: Great variety of shots. Elevation changes. Short & long holes. Open & wooded. Clean with animal proof trash cans & nice concrete tee pads. Mando's, OB's & creeks. Great benches. Nice tee signs. Wood bridge crossings, beautiful landscaping, & tee box/pin supports, directional markers all show that the Charlotte DG club has made a large commitment. Aug '09- Played the 'Gold' course. The 'gold' layout adds length & complexity. The grass was high so lost discs were a problem. Throwing my disc into the fairway would help in most cases. Keep it out of the shule!
Cons: Some muddy spots.
Other Thoughts: After having seen this course showcased on a number of videos I couldn't wait to actually play it. This course seems bigger than life in person.

Amazing Course.

5+    12/17/2008   2/17/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: Upon playing this course it is mind boggling at how much work it must have taken to build . Course offers every kind of shot you would want on a perfectly maintained course. Nice Teepads, benches and trashcans throughout course. Clean restrooms and water fountains near hole one. The original layout is challenging but can be enjoyed by all skill level players. The Gold course is Championship caliber and will demand your best game from the first drive to the last putt.
Cons: Only negative I can say is the course can get a bit muddy after a rain.
Other Thoughts: Quite possibly the best course in NC, and should be played by everyone that gets the oppurtunity.

Renny

5+    2/10/2009   2/10/2009
Review By: Virtual PBandJ
Pros: -One of the hardest permanent courses in the world, offers an amazing challenge for golfers of all levels
-Two great layouts that overlap however they offer completely different experiences
-Well designed technical and long par 4s and 5s
-No two holes are similar, new challenge on every tee
-Good signage, hard to get lost
-You feel as if every hole was built not just installed in the woods
Cons: -It would be nice if the park had more facilities
Other Thoughts: A must play for any aspiring course designers, or anyone looking for a true challenge.

: ) :

Long, long, long

1    8/7/2008   2/7/2009
Review By: DiscJunkie
This review was updated on 2/27/2009
Pros: Difficult, long, challenging, fun, well-designed. Great use of alternate tees and baskets. Very inventive use of elevation. Mix of fairly narrow wooded holes and wide open holes. You will need every shot in your bag for righties and lefties. The Gold course is looong.
Cons: Can be confusing to navigate, lots of blind tee shots. The original course is overlayed by the Gold course, so there can be some confusion when navigating the course.
The woods can be thick, you will make quite a few blind throws, and the slopes that border the holes can be prohibitive. This is an easy place to lose your disc.
Other Thoughts: This is a really pretty course, but it is a long hike up and down lots of elevation. It's a great challenge, but take your time and take it easy. It will take some stamina to finish because it is hot in the summer and windy in the winter. The Gold course navigates an old bike trail, so it can be messy when it's been raining.