Charlotte, NC
Hole #2 Long Tee

Jaw Dropping Experience

1    6/7/2006   2/3/2009
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This is one of the toughest courses I have ever played! Several holes are unique and memorable. As you approach each new tee you think "what could possibly be next!"
Cons: When I was there we had to ask somebody where the first tee was (it is kind of hidden.) Not really a con, but I remember being physically and mentally exhausted coming up the 18th fairway!!!
Other Thoughts: I have only played it once, so you can read the reviews of those who have played it more recently and more often for more details.

Bottom line is this is one of the best and most challenging courses there is. It is a MUST PLAY. I can't wait to play it again.

Not for the faint of heart

2-4    1/3/2009   1/3/2009
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 11/2/2009
Pros: This course is definately one of a kind. When my friends and I play other courses alot of times we make comparisons. Like this course is like that course or this course is like this course and that course combined. However the Renny is like nothing else I have ever played. The first two holes are in the open and still play harder then I thought they would. Then you go into the woods. 3 and 4 play like any wooded course but then you take a look at five and start having a harder time visualizing the shot. It is a short uphill hyzer with lots of trees and as easy as it looks I still never birdied it! The woods will continue to beat you down untill finally you get to one of their signature holes. Throwing down a hill into a cascade of rocks with the basket sitting nicely on top of them. Throw it short and you are in the woods. Long and you are in a muddy mess! If you have confidence in your putting ability you can drill your putt and go on to the next hole. But if you have any doubt in your mind you better lay up or you will find yourself 40 feet below the basket on the other side. The next hole is one of the easiest holes as a 300 hyzer will put you in good shape for a birdie or an easy par. Par on this course is like a birdie on most other courses. I gave myself a big pat on the back for a par, the two or three times it happened! The rest of the holes from here on out have a nice open fairway but usually end up with a basket in some trees or on top of a hill making the risk reward factor as high as it can be. If you can manage to hold yourself together untill the 17th hole you are doing better than me as I was black and blue by then and begging for mercy! 17 will now take another stab at destroying your score as it is probably 600 feet or more to the hole and 200 trees in between! The best I could do there was a bogey and that was with tomahawks the hole way. 18 is a nice finish if you can throw 500 feet. A noob like me took a double bogey and went home feeling like I was thrown down a mountain and left for dead!
Cons: At the time that your a$$ is getting stomped you will be thinking that ol Renny is one mean unfair SOB! I left thinking that the course accentuated chance way too much and I wouldn't be back anytime soon. Then I was back again the next day for another round. Ol Renny whooped me again, but this time I was only 25 over instead of 30+.
Other Thoughts: Definately a must see, the most difficult course I have ever played. I think a newer player, however, can have more fun at other courses in the area.

Love this Course!

1    11/4/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: There is something about this course that I just can't explain. Even after playing the famed Idlewild a few days ago and naming it my new favorite, I think this course still has top honors with me. Here are my thoughts on the holes (Gold Course):
1 - Have to throw under the trees, and stay right, with huge D to make a good lie, not the easiest thing to do for a RHBH.
2 - You can go HUGE hyzer like the pros do, but i could not, played through the stand of trees, and ended up decent, then you have to clear a big ditch before ending up on a green that is both tiny and the basket is elevated 10 or so feet.
3 - Nice tight wooded fairway, but not to hard to clear, then the basket is waaay back to the right in a circle of trees.
4 - Loooooong rising/falling fairway, ends in a wall of railrod-ties, with the basket at left about 15 feet higher.
5 - You have to throw up a huge hill with very tight trees, then at the top of the hill go left another 60-70 feet with a drop-off on your left.
6 - Not a very long hole, but don't let it fool you, if you throw long you'll go off the drop-off at the end, hard not to go to far, definitely makes you think twice about trying to ring the chains from very far out.
7 - The first mando tree is rediculous, like 10' away and NOT in danger of being hit, but I guess some people have hit it, hence why it is a Mando. Definitely stay out of the creek to the left, it is NOT fun to retrieve a disc from (ask me how I know). I don't see how anyone could ever 3 this hole. After you drive ~400-450 feet right then gentle left, you have to dogleg right then up a hill and the to the right another few hundred feet.
8 - Very cool, but the hill is deceiving. I threw an Eagle GENTLY and it went long OB. Finish in a very cool rock-formation green with hugely elevated basket.
9 - BLIND shot up over a hill, then you have to clear a semi-circle of rocks that are like 7 feet tall, very cool
10 - up a hill to a tunnel fairway with a massive boulder in the way, then dogleg right up another hill to the basket.
11 - BIG ARM open hole, throw your longest drive 3-4 times and you might be at the basket. Wide open, but curves right so you have to control your flight pretty well.
12 - Another long open hole, but curving left, so a little more forgiving than 11.
13 - Starts open then gradually the trees tighten in on you until the basket is back in some trees at the end of almost 1000 feet of frustration (at least for me).
14 - After walking through a cool little shrubbery "arch" to the tee, you have to go long and straight to stay out of the woods, then dogleg left down a hill and up to a 15 foot elevated basket.
15 - Very cool tee where you throw out of the woods down a huge hill. Basket is in the woods that lines the right of the fairway. Don't hit the tower on your drive, and don't overthrow the basket once you get within striking range (OB creek).
16 - Two separate fairways to reach the basket, one to the left sweeping right, and vice versa on the other side. The left fairway is more open, but the right fairway lends itself to RHBH hyzer shots. I messed up and went right into the stand of trees in the middle, but surprisingly it wasn't that thick and I was able to lay up next to the basket on my second shot.
17 - Long straight drive next to the creek, then dogleg right and up a slop to the basket on a slope, harder than it seems.
18 - OK this is the craziest hole. After snaking between two power line towers and several OB areas, you have to throw over a 75 or so foot deep trench to an island green that is roughly the elevation of the fairway. Miss the green and you take an automatic stroke. 800+ feet! But visually AWESOME.
Cons: Some of the walkways and grounds needed attention when I was there, and some of the approaches to the greens were downright dangerous. This course needs some steps, rails, etc added. But that will certainly not keep me from playing it as many times as I can!
Sometimes hard to find the next tee, Course Map definitely recommended.
Other Thoughts: I love all the elevated and extremely creative basket configurations. Overall the course is beautifully laid out and my hat's off to the designer. I wish this were closer to me, I'd play it once or more a week if I could. I guess I'll have to settle for good ole Freeman Lake a few times a week. Definitely have to play this course if you're in the Charlotte area, only 5-10 minutes from the airport, so keep that in mind!

Yarrr!

2-4    11/29/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: governmentthief
This review was updated on 12/1/2008
Pros: Insane course design. This course will challenge you on every front: accuracy, distance, mid-range, putting, skill shots, finesse shots, trick shots. Several long open holes that allow you to sling it. 18 is a monster open hole that needs a good arm. 12 is mostly open as well but once you see the basket position you'll realize its tougher than the par 4 suggests. Holes 3 through 8 are all smashed together in a small area of woods almost cris-crossing one another. Its tight, hilly (on hole five you have to throw a tee-shot directly up a steep hill) and unforgiving. Hole 17 is another satanic hole; a tee shot needs to reach a turn where you then turn 90 degrees and shoot uphill over some small pines to the basket. Once you get out there and see the layout of some of these holes, you cant help but be impressed and scared at the same time. A par is worth celebration on many holes. I actually scored worse my second time out because I remembered what was coming up on each hole. This course will test your mental fortitude. Brilliant.
Cons: Almost sadistic in parts. The footing can be treacherous in wet weather due to the steep inclines and slick red mud. Not the prettiest or cleanest looking course out there.
Other Thoughts: If you like cigarettes as do I, be prepared for an occasional wheeze; there are some crazy inclines here and there.

cover your *** cause it's gonna get kicked

1    11/26/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: The toughest course I've ever played (of 1,030). It's the prototype of the future of disc golf. Tests even the top #1 pros to throw shots sometimes beyond their capabilities but still plays fair. Massive, hilly terrain of open and tightly wooded. A small creek in play. 2 different layouts (regular and Gold-gold is the toughest one and the one I played), so there's more than 18 baskets and tees.
Unique holes that can't be compared to anything else. OB usage- island green above a small cliff, park road. Wooden outpost a spotter can climb to watch the shots on one blind hole. 2 baskets cemented into large boulders.
Cons: Would be a bit tough to navigate- but map is online and there are signs.
Gold layout would be a turnoff for a beginner- but their not supposed to play it anyways!
Some rough means potential for lost disc or wearing jeans a good idea.
On 2 holes, rough spots not maintained by park- hand cut for tournaments though.
Other Thoughts: Lots of lots of work has gone into this labor of love and it paid off.
The place to play in the region for anyone of advanced+ skill level who is serious about the game.

RENNY GOLD - A MUST PLAY!!!!

5+    10/28/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: 1000rated
Pros: This is world class course!!! Simply put this is the best course in Charlotte!!! This course provides the player with the option to throw ever shot in their bag. Sidearms, Backhands, rollers, thumber's, tomahawks...whatever the shot, you can throw it on this course. Renny also has a variety of different looks at holes with elevated baskets, crazy challenging angles, and monster 1000ft holes. This is the disc golf mecca on the East Coast!!!!
Cons: Can't think of any
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course for anyone who LOVES disc golf!!

Disappointment

2-4    10/25/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: Redneck Machismo
This review was updated on 2/16/2009
Pros: Course has several real multishot holes which is excellent. The amount of work that has gone into this course is clearly evident. Every conceivable type of shot is required to play this course effectively.
Cons: Overall most of the holes are poorly designed and require too much luck. A lot of the property is really not suitable for a disc golf course as it is built in a flood plain/drainage area that reminds me of a scene out of Stephen King's "It." The fairway for hole 17 is always wet making it look like your playing down an oil slick. Several holes are too tight with too much penalty for just a sightly off line shot. The elevated baskets and baskets mounted in rock outcroppings is really just silly and cheapens the course. It just takes too much luck to get around this place with a decent score.
Other Thoughts: This course would be much better if a few things were changed. Almost every hole needs to be widened and trimmed. Good shots should be rewarded but a shot that is 90% perfect shouldn't be penalized by a double bogey. In addition too many baskets are placed where roll aways are very likely furthering the luck factor. I do want to state again that the amount of work that has gone into the course is incredible and it is disappointing that the end product isn't better. Dave Feldburg seems to mirror my thoughts about the course being unfair on the Clash at Renny Gold DVD.

Rennaisance Disc Golf Park

1    10/4/2008   10/15/2008
Review By: martinb
Pros: Well developed course. Good mixture of terrain and hole length. Multiple tee pads. Not crowded.
Cons: None to speak of, had to use the porta-potty where the tennis courts are, no bathrooms? No pro shop, which is surprising for a championship level course.
Other Thoughts: Great championship level course. Located in Rennaisance Park adjacent to a tennis center. The course reflects community support and as a result is a great experience to play. Tee pads, tee signs, fairways, and baskets all show signs of constant maintenance and upkeep. Benches on most holes. Following the tee signs to navigate the am course is easy. No trash anywhere to speak of. There are multiple tees for amateur and pro players on almost all the holes. Shot placement from either sets of teepads is critical from start to finish on this course, tough but fair. The terrain is varied, hilly with trees throughout the course, most tee shots have trees or other foliage to account for, with a couple of long, open holes for the big-arms. There has been a design change starting at hole 7 or 8 that requires course knowledge. The gold/pro course skips a hole but makes it up later on the course. We were with a person familiar with the difference between the am and pro course layout so it wasn't too bad. A course map prior to starting would help a lot. This difference in the course does not detract from the course design at all, for whichever way you want to play it. It will take approximately 1.5 to 3 hours to play, depending on which course (am or pro), and how many people you are playing with.
There is a definite set of skill shots you need to enjoy this course, outside of the regular back hand shot. An overhead or tommy shot when you get off the fairways is needed, also a sidearm shot for the same reason. Roller shots wouldn't do well on this course, the fairways are too narrow on most holes with heavily wooded schule on the sides.
For the Charlotte, NC area this has got to be one of the flagship courses that everyone else sets a standard to. We were short on time and that was the only course we were able to play, since it was recommended as one of the best in the area. I agree, I think this course would be one of the best anywhere in the world. The main reason being the obvious local support and all the labor hours spent to create and maintain this great course. Every hole shows attention to detail and has its own character and feel.
If I were to pick a hole that was my favorite on this course I would probably choose 4. A heavily wooded narrow fairway that filters down to some man-made backstops and then doglegs left up to the basket another 60 feet. You need two perfect shots about 275/300 feet each, and then make a perfect putt up at the elevated basket for a three, even scoring a four on this hole would feel good. I could critique each hole, but then this review would be way too long. One last note, we played on a Saturday late morning and there were no crowds at all, which was a pleasant surprise.
***I had to add this course to the directory so I could get a review up. The up-front course information is missing vital data I don't have, so I'm hoping someone who is local can update it to reflect more accurate information about the course. ***
* I am dyslexic. this course was already in there and if i had just spelled it correctly i would have seen that!!*

Hole 18

2-4    8/9/2008   8/11/2008
Review By: handsoffmt
Pros: Hole 18 is the best frolf hole I have ever played - Long drive, but not too long for fear of OB, then either an easy layup to a green island across the ravine from the basket or a dicey shot at the green. Super fun. Most other holes on the course are nearly as fun.
Cons: Busy and a bit of trash at the tees.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course much better than the Winthrop Gold. They seemed equally difficult (though the OB markers were not up when I played Winthrop), but Renny had more variety and elevation.

Proud to be my home course

3/19/2008   3/23/2008
Review By: kpkirishy
Pros: Very Challenging Course with variety of hole layouts. I love that no 2 holes at this course look the same. The terrain varies throughout the entire course and it is marked pretty well.
Cons: The course can be backed up at times and tends to have a good bit of trash. There are some long holes with brushy areas that tend to make discs disapear.