Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park Share

cover your *** cause it's gonna get kicked

1    11/26/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: The toughest course I've ever played (of 1,030). It's the prototype of the future of disc golf. Tests even the top #1 pros to throw shots sometimes beyond their capabilities but still plays fair. Massive, hilly terrain of open and tightly wooded. A small creek in play. 2 different layouts (regular and Gold-gold is the toughest one and the one I played), so there's more than 18 baskets and tees.
Unique holes that can't be compared to anything else. OB usage- island green above a small cliff, park road. Wooden outpost a spotter can climb to watch the shots on one blind hole. 2 baskets cemented into large boulders.
Cons: Would be a bit tough to navigate- but map is online and there are signs.
Gold layout would be a turnoff for a beginner- but their not supposed to play it anyways!
Some rough means potential for lost disc or wearing jeans a good idea.
On 2 holes, rough spots not maintained by park- hand cut for tournaments though.
Other Thoughts: Lots of lots of work has gone into this labor of love and it paid off.
The place to play in the region for anyone of advanced+ skill level who is serious about the game.

RENNY GOLD - A MUST PLAY!!!!

5+    10/28/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: 1000rated
Pros: This is world class course!!! Simply put this is the best course in Charlotte!!! This course provides the player with the option to throw ever shot in their bag. Sidearms, Backhands, rollers, thumber's, tomahawks...whatever the shot, you can throw it on this course. Renny also has a variety of different looks at holes with elevated baskets, crazy challenging angles, and monster 1000ft holes. This is the disc golf mecca on the East Coast!!!!
Cons: Can't think of any
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course for anyone who LOVES disc golf!!

Disappointment

2-4    10/25/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: Redneck Machismo
This review was updated on 2/16/2009
Pros: Course has several real multishot holes which is excellent. The amount of work that has gone into this course is clearly evident. Every conceivable type of shot is required to play this course effectively.
Cons: Overall most of the holes are poorly designed and require too much luck. A lot of the property is really not suitable for a disc golf course as it is built in a flood plain/drainage area that reminds me of a scene out of Stephen King's "It." The fairway for hole 17 is always wet making it look like your playing down an oil slick. Several holes are too tight with too much penalty for just a sightly off line shot. The elevated baskets and baskets mounted in rock outcroppings is really just silly and cheapens the course. It just takes too much luck to get around this place with a decent score.
Other Thoughts: This course would be much better if a few things were changed. Almost every hole needs to be widened and trimmed. Good shots should be rewarded but a shot that is 90% perfect shouldn't be penalized by a double bogey. In addition too many baskets are placed where roll aways are very likely furthering the luck factor. I do want to state again that the amount of work that has gone into the course is incredible and it is disappointing that the end product isn't better. Dave Feldburg seems to mirror my thoughts about the course being unfair on the Clash at Renny Gold DVD.

Rennaisance Disc Golf Park

1    10/4/2008   10/15/2008
Review By: martinb
Pros: Well developed course. Good mixture of terrain and hole length. Multiple tee pads. Not crowded.
Cons: None to speak of, had to use the porta-potty where the tennis courts are, no bathrooms? No pro shop, which is surprising for a championship level course.
Other Thoughts: Great championship level course. Located in Rennaisance Park adjacent to a tennis center. The course reflects community support and as a result is a great experience to play. Tee pads, tee signs, fairways, and baskets all show signs of constant maintenance and upkeep. Benches on most holes. Following the tee signs to navigate the am course is easy. No trash anywhere to speak of. There are multiple tees for amateur and pro players on almost all the holes. Shot placement from either sets of teepads is critical from start to finish on this course, tough but fair. The terrain is varied, hilly with trees throughout the course, most tee shots have trees or other foliage to account for, with a couple of long, open holes for the big-arms. There has been a design change starting at hole 7 or 8 that requires course knowledge. The gold/pro course skips a hole but makes it up later on the course. We were with a person familiar with the difference between the am and pro course layout so it wasn't too bad. A course map prior to starting would help a lot. This difference in the course does not detract from the course design at all, for whichever way you want to play it. It will take approximately 1.5 to 3 hours to play, depending on which course (am or pro), and how many people you are playing with.
There is a definite set of skill shots you need to enjoy this course, outside of the regular back hand shot. An overhead or tommy shot when you get off the fairways is needed, also a sidearm shot for the same reason. Roller shots wouldn't do well on this course, the fairways are too narrow on most holes with heavily wooded schule on the sides.
For the Charlotte, NC area this has got to be one of the flagship courses that everyone else sets a standard to. We were short on time and that was the only course we were able to play, since it was recommended as one of the best in the area. I agree, I think this course would be one of the best anywhere in the world. The main reason being the obvious local support and all the labor hours spent to create and maintain this great course. Every hole shows attention to detail and has its own character and feel.
If I were to pick a hole that was my favorite on this course I would probably choose 4. A heavily wooded narrow fairway that filters down to some man-made backstops and then doglegs left up to the basket another 60 feet. You need two perfect shots about 275/300 feet each, and then make a perfect putt up at the elevated basket for a three, even scoring a four on this hole would feel good. I could critique each hole, but then this review would be way too long. One last note, we played on a Saturday late morning and there were no crowds at all, which was a pleasant surprise.
***I had to add this course to the directory so I could get a review up. The up-front course information is missing vital data I don't have, so I'm hoping someone who is local can update it to reflect more accurate information about the course. ***
* I am dyslexic. this course was already in there and if i had just spelled it correctly i would have seen that!!*

Hole 18

2-4    8/9/2008   8/11/2008
Review By: handsoffmt
Pros: Hole 18 is the best frolf hole I have ever played - Long drive, but not too long for fear of OB, then either an easy layup to a green island across the ravine from the basket or a dicey shot at the green. Super fun. Most other holes on the course are nearly as fun.
Cons: Busy and a bit of trash at the tees.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course much better than the Winthrop Gold. They seemed equally difficult (though the OB markers were not up when I played Winthrop), but Renny had more variety and elevation.

Proud to be my home course

3/19/2008   3/23/2008
Review By: kpkirishy
Pros: Very Challenging Course with variety of hole layouts. I love that no 2 holes at this course look the same. The terrain varies throughout the entire course and it is marked pretty well.
Cons: The course can be backed up at times and tends to have a good bit of trash. There are some long holes with brushy areas that tend to make discs disapear.

I still have nightmares...

6/7/2006   3/13/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: I loved this course. Challenging at every turn. Long and difficult. requires accuracy of the tee, solid approaches and good putting. most courses, you just fling your driver eith putt or approach from 75 feet or closer. Not at this course.
Cons: I have only played it once, meaning that I had no idea from the tee what a good position to be in for approaches.
Other Thoughts: I shot an 80...and I was ecstatic. I think if I played it again, I could place my drives better but I have no regrets. Don't be foold by the first hole. It is kinda tame, but #2 is where I remember the fun starting.

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: This is without a doubt the hardest Disc Golf course I have ever played. When looking at the course you can tell its long, and brutal, but when you actually step up and play, the course will destroy you. the shorter tees to the shorter baskets is a big challenge. Then, if you dare to try the "Gold" course which has tees that are further back, and baskets that are even longer, and tougher, the course takes everything out of you. I can not explain the toughness. You have to experience it. The throwing lanes are not too tight, but the holes are long, and tough. When I went (2004), I read a sign saying they are even going to be adding more to the course making it LONGER and HARDER. A course has not kicked my butt like this one ever.

GREAT job making the course look awesome. You can really see all the work done to this course. I can just imagine how much more difficult the course would of been without all the countless hours of volunteer work that was done to make it look great. This course would probably skyrocket in rating if I played it more.
Cons: Most every hole you have to walk 400 feet just to find the basket. Then you have to walk back to the tee to throw. Can take a lot out of you doing this for every hole on a 98 degree day like I did.

Gold course is one of my favorites!

12/27/2007   1/2/2008
Review By: WAM9
Pros: The 9500 ft, par 70 Gold Course setup is simply awesome. There are only 5 par 3's on the entire course and there is a premium on precision placement and strategy. Every type of shot is required and there is plenty of distance required(there are 10 holes over 500 ft and #11 is 1042 ft). I'll save everyone the time of me being repetitive and just say that I agree with Lowe's review.
Cons: A few areas of holes on the back nine were a little wet and muddy though none of the rest of the course was at all. Tee signs mark the original course setup well but the Gold course is hard to navigate at spots. I was lucky enough to pick up with 3 locals who "showed me the way" but I would hate to try and play this by myself for the first time.
Other Thoughts: This is a world class course. I agree that it is among the most difficult, if not THE most difficult in NC. The SSA is 69 so anything around par is impressive. While this course is not for begginers, I highly recommend playing this course! It is a very impressive job of design by Charlotte legend Stan McDaniel. He and the Charlotte Disc Golf Club have really outdone themselves here. Excellent!

My Favorite course!!

2-4    4/16/2007   11/29/2007
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 2/26/2010
Pros: My Score = 9.9 out of 10
Course Levels: Original-A = Blue, Gold = Gold

This is the best course of the ~210 that I've played so far, and the only course that I've rated 5 discs. (as of Sept 2008)

Awe inspiring! A sublime experience on a world class course! A great course that just keeps getting better! The Charlotte club, led by Stan McDaniel, has done a mind boggling amount of work on this course! It is a model for what all disc golf courses should aspire to. You do battle with the course, and it beats you up, but you ask for more. It kind of reminds me of fraternity hazing-- as you're getting punished you keep asking "May I have another please?"
With 2 courses and 2 sets of basket layouts there are 4 course layouts available, but all are long and challenging, for players of the highest skill level. The Gold course pushed this course up to an even higher level of excellence.
The land has great elevation changes, and the fairways have every type there is-- left, right, straight, L bend, S curve.
Many of the greens are some of the best and most challenging that you'll ever play. Many are fast with steep slopes that drop off into ravines; you're not safe until your disc is in the basket.
There's also great variety of terrain with many wooded shots requiring accuracy balanced by some open "crush" shots.
The man made structures can't be adequately described; you just have to see them to believe it. Telephone poles were hauled in by mules to build up green embankments over steep ravines, long stairways and bridges were built, concrete blocks were hauled in for a remote tee pad, and there's even an observation tower to climb up on one on blind hole!
Whenever I finish playing there, even though I'm tired and my ego is bruised by my score, the "euphoria factor" lasts for days afterward. This is a legendary course that you must play if you ever get the chance.
Cons: The only area that needs improvement is better signs and instructions to navigate the Gold course. There's an awesome map on the Charlotte Club website (CDGC) and a link to an Excel spreadsheet with the current layout. (That's such a handy piece of work in itself!) Don't attempt to play the Gold course without these or you may have lots of frustration.
Other Thoughts: Many players, including myself, say that Renny this is the best and the toughest course in North Carolina. Personally, I prefer the Original course to the Gold course because I think the holes are better. I highly recommend that you play Renaissance for the quintessential disc golf experience!