Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #9 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #9 Approach

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
 I still have nightmares...

6/7/2006   3/13/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: I loved this course. Challenging at every turn. Long and difficult. requires accuracy of the tee, solid approaches and good putting. most courses, you just fling your driver eith putt or approach from 75 feet or closer. Not at this course.
Cons: I have only played it once, meaning that I had no idea from the tee what a good position to be in for approaches.
Other Thoughts: I shot an 80...and I was ecstatic. I think if I played it again, I could place my drives better but I have no regrets. Don't be foold by the first hole. It is kinda tame, but #2 is where I remember the fun starting.

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: This is without a doubt the hardest Disc Golf course I have ever played. When looking at the course you can tell its long, and brutal, but when you actually step up and play, the course will destroy you. the shorter tees to the shorter baskets is a big challenge. Then, if you dare to try the "Gold" course which has tees that are further back, and baskets that are even longer, and tougher, the course takes everything out of you. I can not explain the toughness. You have to experience it. The throwing lanes are not too tight, but the holes are long, and tough. When I went (2004), I read a sign saying they are even going to be adding more to the course making it LONGER and HARDER. A course has not kicked my butt like this one ever.

GREAT job making the course look awesome. You can really see all the work done to this course. I can just imagine how much more difficult the course would of been without all the countless hours of volunteer work that was done to make it look great. This course would probably skyrocket in rating if I played it more.
Cons: Most every hole you have to walk 400 feet just to find the basket. Then you have to walk back to the tee to throw. Can take a lot out of you doing this for every hole on a 98 degree day like I did.

Gold course is one of my favorites!

12/27/2007   1/2/2008
Review By: WAM9
Pros: The 9500 ft, par 70 Gold Course setup is simply awesome. There are only 5 par 3's on the entire course and there is a premium on precision placement and strategy. Every type of shot is required and there is plenty of distance required(there are 10 holes over 500 ft and #11 is 1042 ft). I'll save everyone the time of me being repetitive and just say that I agree with Lowe's review.
Cons: A few areas of holes on the back nine were a little wet and muddy though none of the rest of the course was at all. Tee signs mark the original course setup well but the Gold course is hard to navigate at spots. I was lucky enough to pick up with 3 locals who "showed me the way" but I would hate to try and play this by myself for the first time.
Other Thoughts: This is a world class course. I agree that it is among the most difficult, if not THE most difficult in NC. The SSA is 69 so anything around par is impressive. While this course is not for begginers, I highly recommend playing this course! It is a very impressive job of design by Charlotte legend Stan McDaniel. He and the Charlotte Disc Golf Club have really outdone themselves here. Excellent!

My Favorite course!!

2-4    4/16/2007   11/29/2007
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 2/26/2010
Pros: My Score = 9.9 out of 10
Course Levels: Original-A = Blue, Gold = Gold

This is the best course of the ~210 that I've played so far, and the only course that I've rated 5 discs. (as of Sept 2008)

Awe inspiring! A sublime experience on a world class course! A great course that just keeps getting better! The Charlotte club, led by Stan McDaniel, has done a mind boggling amount of work on this course! It is a model for what all disc golf courses should aspire to. You do battle with the course, and it beats you up, but you ask for more. It kind of reminds me of fraternity hazing-- as you're getting punished you keep asking "May I have another please?"
With 2 courses and 2 sets of basket layouts there are 4 course layouts available, but all are long and challenging, for players of the highest skill level. The Gold course pushed this course up to an even higher level of excellence.
The land has great elevation changes, and the fairways have every type there is-- left, right, straight, L bend, S curve.
Many of the greens are some of the best and most challenging that you'll ever play. Many are fast with steep slopes that drop off into ravines; you're not safe until your disc is in the basket.
There's also great variety of terrain with many wooded shots requiring accuracy balanced by some open "crush" shots.
The man made structures can't be adequately described; you just have to see them to believe it. Telephone poles were hauled in by mules to build up green embankments over steep ravines, long stairways and bridges were built, concrete blocks were hauled in for a remote tee pad, and there's even an observation tower to climb up on one on blind hole!
Whenever I finish playing there, even though I'm tired and my ego is bruised by my score, the "euphoria factor" lasts for days afterward. This is a legendary course that you must play if you ever get the chance.
Cons: The only area that needs improvement is better signs and instructions to navigate the Gold course. There's an awesome map on the Charlotte Club website (CDGC) and a link to an Excel spreadsheet with the current layout. (That's such a handy piece of work in itself!) Don't attempt to play the Gold course without these or you may have lots of frustration.
Other Thoughts: Many players, including myself, say that Renny this is the best and the toughest course in North Carolina. Personally, I prefer the Original course to the Gold course because I think the holes are better. I highly recommend that you play Renaissance for the quintessential disc golf experience!

Other Reviews-
From Ken Climo- "Nestled on a very wooded piece of property, Renaissance boasts long, demanding holes with a slew of treacherous greens. An incredible amount of elevation change will tax both the legs and the conscience. The finishing holes at Renaissance are as awesome as they come. Both #17 and #18 are incredible par 4's that can ruin a round before you know it. This course never gives you an opportunity to relax. From the first tee it's game on, so give yourself plenty of time to psyche up before a round. Even on a good day you might just get kicked around." (kenclimo.com)

Gold Course Kicked my Butt

10/4/2007   11/15/2007
Review By: JoePublic
Pros: Very hard layout with great tee placements and baskets. All interesting holes and various skills needed. Play a lot and expect to see some of the best in the Southeast show up.
Cons: Humbling feeling after finishing.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >