Goshen, OH
Osage Grove DGC Share
Uploaded By: nickharrington Hole #6
-- / --   3 / 273ft.   3 / 273ft. Par / Distance:

I wish it was closer too!

5+    11/1/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Awesome design! Nothing boring about this course. Great baskets with multiple pin locations. Course up keep is outstanding for not having a park department.
Cons: No permanent tee signs yet, but the temp ones have held up a long time.

The tee pads get slicker than snot.
Other Thoughts: Every time I play this course I like it more and more. Always drive home looking forward to the next league or tourney here.

wish it was closer

1    6/18/2014   6/18/2014
Review By: dave420
Pros: great layout.
multiple lines to choose from.
just really nice
Cons: no water (at least that I saw)
no signage for how the hole lays(I know they need sponsers)
Other Thoughts: really fun course ,just wish it was closer. 40 minute drive from my house . so only once or twice a month .

Come Ye to the Land of Goshen

1    11/16/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Challenging course in a nice public park that plays through the woods surrounding a maze in a cornfield.
• Variety: Very good overall - well wooded for the most part, with a couple of holes where you can open up a bit. Nice mix of fairway shapes including some more complex and interesting ones, but all were fair. Most offer several lines to the pin - find yours and throw. Reasonable mix of hole lengths as well. Not necessarily what I'd call a short course, but the tight lines make many of the holes feel longer. Favors placement and finesse over distance (even to the long pins), with several holes where playing to a spot where the fairway changes direction is likely to be the smart move for most players. Encourages you to stay in the fairway moreso than most as the thick rough can make advancing after a bad shot difficult.
• Elevation: No big elevation changes but the rolling nature of the terrain comes into play nearly every other conceivable way throughout the course. Sloped pin placements, fairways that play over creeks and gulleys where treejected shots could leave you throwing uphill. A few fairways have uneven ground or slope from side to side, hence run-ups can be awkward in the fairway - being able to "stand and deliver" can really save par here. Several holes play flat, but this course isn't flat.
• Equipment: DGA baskets were all in great shape, but can be hard to see in the woods. Rubber Fly Pads were smooth, level, and in great shape, but can be slippery when wet. I like the way they boxed-in the tees with landscaping timbers to retain soil and combat erosion.
• Routing/Nav: Simple tee markers with hole #'s help you find your way. Would have liked distances on all of them, but they got the job done. I had a couple of guides, so getting to the next hole wasn't an issue, but I I'd be surprised if there weren't a couple of spots that are tricky for 1st timers. If it's your first time here, print the map - it seems pretty accurate and should keep you where you want to be.
• Aesthetic: Osage Grove has a character unique from any other course I've played (at least in the fall, which is when I played). Bare trees with gnarled and twisted branches combine with a corn field maze to create a spooky, almost haunting atmosphere. I would absofrigginlutely love to play an October glow round here with lit jack-o-lanterns on the baskets!
• Memorable holes for me were 4, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18.
Cons:
• I don't mind the rough being thick, but there were several spots where thorns and dense, scraggly twigs poking at you would make disc retrieval hazardous in the summer (when you're not covered as well and thick foliage hides these menaces). Course is still kinda new, and this is likely to improve over time, but the rough here can draw blood.
• Quite a few protruding stumps and roots - wear sturdy hikers to avoid stubbed toes.
• I'm all for guarded pin placements, but the 3 skinny trees directly in front of the long pin on hole 5 serve to equalize scores - I hate to get rid of trees, but 1 or 2 of these need to go.
• Plenty of hairy Poison Ivy vines on tree trunks.
• Course doesn't seem to drain well, came across several slick and muddy spots - not reflected in my rating, just warning it can be slicker than most if it's rained recently.
Other Thoughts: If tight'n'twisty through the woods isn't your idea of fun, then Osage Grove ain't your kinda course. Moreover, it's still quite rough around the edges (both literally and figuratively), so if well-groomed fairways, wonderful signage and all the accoutrements score high marks for you, again - your opinion may differ. But I really enjoyed playing here… despite how many times I found myself pitching out to get back on the fairway or how many curses I shouted at the trees.

I certainly see how some might think it gets a bit repetitive with all the tunnel shots and low ceilings, but I never felt that way. While almost all the holes are in the woods and require control, they feature different lines, elevations and present different elements to give each one its own personality. Not sure I'd say any single aspect was excellent in and of itself, but at the end of my round, there was no doubt in my mind: Osage Grove is an excellent course. I guess it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Pins were in the long position when I played, but I saw some of the shorts - no doubt they're a bit easier to reach, but the fairways are still challenging.

Some of the fairways were littered with the Osage Oranges (or Hedge Apples) for which the course is appropriately named.

A wonderful addition to the area, I'm willing to bet fall's the best time of year to play this course.

Troll's Review

1    8/8/2013   10/5/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: A great edition to Cincinnati
good location, next to the schools so it will spawn a new generation of disc golfers....
Its only A 3 out of 5 on the grounds that I feel it really only caters to a maxed out mid-range style.
Very challenging technical wooded course
Cons: Its still very "fresh" and needs work done in the rough. poison ivy, thorn trees, wild roses, grape vines...
plays only in a certain style, leave your drivers in your bag.....
Other Thoughts: I feel that it could have more variety for a new course.... too many wooded holes. felt like a rush design...

Say the Big 4 for Cincy

2-4    7/7/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: This course will deserve a higher rating as it gets finished so for now I am giving it a 4 but I know that is only because it is not completely done.
This course is amazing and definitely makes you think about every shot and really makes you utilize your bag to the fullest.
Every holes seems to bring something different and you never feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again except for anny shots which really made me realize I need to develop a side arm!!
This is a mostly wooded course so make sure you realize that when playing and expect to hit some trees. Also realize the course is newer so the rough is rough and the fairways are tight so a spotter is probably a good thing to have.
Even though the fairways were tight they were also very fair and you always had a line to go for.
I am also not a fan of mats but these ones are huge and do an adequate job.
Cons: Need to get signs up but that is happening so not to big of deal and now that I have played it a few times I know what to expect. Print a map for now so that you have a better understanding of the holes.
Rough is really bad and getting your disc from the thorn bushes can be a hard thing to do.
Some paths from basket to next tee where really long. I love a hike in the woods but when you walk for a couple minutes to get to the next tee you felt like you may have went the wrong way.
Other Thoughts: This course beat me up bad and when I was done I was DONE. Even though I played badly I still would not give this course a bad rating. When I got done I had blood on my legs and was sweating to all get out but I knew that I just finished what now can join the ranks of the BIG 3. So go play this course and whine about the thorn and the trees then send a message to Adam Jones and thank him for one hell of a ride!!

Osage

5+    6/5/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: pmorgan1214
This review was updated on 1/25/2014
Pros: 1. baskets: baskets are nice and catch discs well.
2. pads: some of the best pads that i have thrown on. Huge and have a grippy black cover that will still give you traction in wet conditions.
3. challenging layout: the fairways make you choose the best shot. a great shot is rewarded with a good score.
Cons: 1. some trees can go: i understand this course is a work in progress. Some trees create a luck factor shot that makes it hard to get a duece.
2. no tee signs: right now there are posts but no signs. so no par designation.
3. distance: i think that this course is not amazing without adding some distance. only a couple holes over 400 feet. I understand wooded and technical but i would like to see some par 5's in the course.
4. Variety: 17 holes wooded, 1 open hole. enough said. you can only do so much with the land.
5. practice basket: none yet i hear they have one coming but not yet.
Other Thoughts: Overall Osage is still being worked on. I have never met Adam but i have played this course and it is just a few touches from being great. To make this course compare to Mt. Airy, Idlewild, Lincoln ridge you need to add some distance, variety and some more par 5's.

First Ohio Course

1    5/24/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: TeePads- I normally don't like rubber pads, but these are huge and have gravel starting and finishing them. They have plenty of room to work with.

Pin Placements - They have good location for the pins when I played (Longs) but also have shorts available too.

Shot Verity - as a right back hand, I had to bring my whole game out here.

People - A lot of great people in the area. We had a group of 5 locals show us around the course and it was nice to kind of get a feel of seeing the local route as well as the routes you would take.
Cons: No Tee Signs - From what I have heard and read this will change in the future.

Nature - This is a work in progress as I think it was put together in the last year, so some of the rough is rough. Also when we went it rained and the course holds water pretty well.
Other Thoughts: The way this course lays right now I would say it was a 3.75 but with the small improvements that will come in time will bring it up to about a 4.25 to 4.5 depending on how well things happen.

If you are going to the Cinci Area this is a good course to hit up in between Idlewild, MTN Airy and Lincoln Ridge

Osage grove

1    4/6/2013   5/4/2013
Review By: preludedrew
Pros: A Challenging 18 hole course, with some open field shots, but mostly wooded holes. This course whipped me into shape when we went, and has a lot of hiking too.
Cons: A lot of hiking up hill, may be too tough for some.
Other Thoughts: A good, challenging 18 hole course with plenty of variety.

Number 4 of 4

5+    1/18/2013   2/3/2013
Review By: Jay Dub
Pros: The Greater Cincinnati area has been known for having the "Big 3" when referring to disc golf courses. Now with this new course people will soon be saying the "Big 4".
The park is well maintained by the city. They are very proud of this park and having a disc golf course installed. I do not normally see this much enthusiasm from a park district.

The first thing you will notice is a tee pad. Adam did great with these wooden framed black padded tee pads. One look at these and you know you will not have to worry about your footing while teeing off. The fairways are all fair with a couple minor exceptions (see cons).
For a new course this is very easy to navigate with the next tee signs in the right spots and steps placed anywhere footing would be a problem, and there are quite a few of those areas.

Multiple pin placements is also a big pro for this course. I played the short pins the first time and the long pins all other times.
The course has a nice balance of lefty and righty holes. Hole #4 has already been nicknamed "lefties revenge". A name I agree with yet still see it as very fair for a RHBH thrower. The use of the cornfield maze is new and incorporated into the course in an interesting way. (I'm afraid the corn stocks on the edge will be torn/trampled down over time, interested to see how that changes the look of those holes)
The course has a nice flow and I believe can be enjoyed by players of all levels. It's described as mostly flat, which is kind of true. There are no big uphill or downhill shots, but there is a lot of walking up and down hills.
The course is easy to find. About 7 miles off the highway with two easy landmarks to look for. United Dairy Farmers is on the right and McDonald's is on the left. Turn right at that intersection and you're 1/2 mile from the entrance.
Cons: Most of the cons I have will be taken care of over time either by Mother Nature or the natural development of the course.
Cons that will be fixed: It's muddy sloppy there right now if the temps get over 32 for a day or so. (Most courses are this time of year).
The ground there has a lot of bumps the size of Mole mounds. But they are very hard. I wondered how this happened until I saw hole #13 after it was harvested. These bumps, which tire you out after walking on them for 2 hours, were made by the tires off the tractor that was used to clear the fairways. Over time these bumps will smooth out, I give it about a year of nature and people walking on them and believe that won't be a factor anymore.
No tee signs yet, we all know this and know they will be installed but right now that is a con.
I only have complaints about two holes. The first being hole #5 long pin placement. It's a great hole but about 10-15 feet in front of the long pin are three "jail house" trees. Small trees that block a shot to the basket and adds too much luck to that hole. IMO at least two of those trees should be removed. The other hole is #18. Off the tee is another luck shot if you are to get thru the jail house bar type trees that are in front of you. It has great potential as long as the fairway off the tee is opened up a little more.
A "First tee" sign is needed near the parking lot.
Thorn bushes are spread thru out the course. I have been trampling them down whenever they are in my way or we take relief and play safe. Over time these should go away but that will take time and work.
Other Thoughts: The course is located close to every school Goshen has. To get to the course you need to drive thru 3 school zones back to back. Please make sure to drive the posted speed limit at this point.
Make sure to add this to your wish list, you'll be glad you did.
To find #1 tee, park your car then turn and walk towards the direction you drove in. There is a barn on the right and a wooden post in front of you about 100 feet. Walk towards that post, once there go to your left at about 10 o'clock. The tee will be easy to find at that point.

Off the beaten path and well worth the trip

5+    1/20/2013   2/1/2013
Review By: DiscDogNation
Pros: Challenging but not frustrating.
Great mix of holes.
Not crowded
Cons: Can be muddy
watch for stumps (new course)
Other Thoughts: I am a RHBH player so please keep this in mind as you read this. Also I am just completing my first year of golf so I really don't have command of many throws and my route are going to reflect the easiest way to get up and down. That being said please enjoy this review and if you are in the area PLEASE hit me up for a round … I'll be happy to burn a day here.
Bring your "A" game because this course is going to challenge every throw in your bag. The 1st hole is a great opener and although your drive can hit a few trees if you don't hit your line it still provides you an opportunity for a birdie. Righty's will appreciate the tunnel down the right side however make sure not to drift too far right because it can make your upshot extremely difficult. If conditions are muddy you'll want to head up to the road (more like a path) and walk down to the 2nd tee pad.
Hole 2 has two tunnels and is slightly uphill so it's going to play a little longer than you think it is. If you get it to the ridge you should be good for a long birdie attempt. The tunnel on the right is a natural fade into the basket if it's on the left and not in the long pin however I typically hit trees trying to fade in so now I like to take something with almost no fade and pop it down the left tunnel.
When you stand on the tee pad for Hole 3 you'll see a hole in the tree line. Pin placements can be either inside and to the left or inside and to the right so take a good look before you throw. Either way if you can punch it in the hole you should have a great opportunity at a bird.
Hole 4 begins to show you a glimpse of some of the challenges to come. Standing on the pad things look innocent enough. You'll see a small fairway that fades to the right and hugs a tree line and you will want your shot to follow that line staying to the outside. If you continue long and right it opens up nicely and drops down quite a bit where you'll find the basket approach guarded by some large trees. Lefties should find this hole inviting while righties who don't command a great forhand may find this hole a bit of a challenge. Going right off the tee into the woods can take 2 to get out and going left off the fairway can find yourself standing in corn so tall you'll need a thumber to get back out.
If you had trouble on 4 forget about it now because you need to plan this shot well. I like to take something long and straight and a rule of thumb for me is to get as far across the ravine as possible and if you fade left at the end you should be ok for a nice hyzer approach into the well guarded basket. Make sure your tee shot doesn't get too high because there is a ceiling and it will lengthen this hole considerably if you don't have a good drive.
The fairway on 6 closes with a grove of (pines?) that is really thick. You can usually punch right up into them and then try and work your way through the grove to the long pin located on the other side. Missing the fairway right can be bad however I am so horrible I punched through the intial underbrush and it opened up a little. While I was trying to figure out how to get back on the fairway I noticed a huge spike hyzer route which I hit and parked for an easy three. While I do not recommend this route by any means if you find yourself long and right off the tee you might want to look for it.
On Hole 7 I generally try and stay right of the trees down this fairway and let the natural fade bring the disc back. This hole has a natural "S" to it so look for that line and punch it. While the few strategically placed trees in the fairway can wreck a good run at this hole it's still a hole with a good chance at a birdie so run at it!
From the pad on 8 you'll see a large tree at what looks like the opening to a corridor and that's where I lay up. It goes to the right from there back about 150 feet or so through a small wooded fairway to a guarded basket. Even though it's a par 3 when I get a 3 I feel like it's a birdie.
#9 …. You are looking at a fairly large ravine and you'll want to keep it on a steady hyzer through the ravine. This tee can be tricky. There is a small tree maybe 35 feet off the tee I've see people hit (me included) and also you'll see a huge tree coming up out of the ravine you'll want to hyzer left of and you should be good however lf you go too far left off the tee you may go into the woods on the left and never make the ravine. My goal here is just to get to the top of the far side. If you have a big arm you should be able to do well here provided you get the tee shot off well. Once past the tee and ravine you'll still have a 150 approach to the basket which is slightly down and to the left.
#10 is a short hole with a great shot at another birdie however you'll need to watch your lines. A big hyzer runs the risk of hitting the canopy on the far side which I never see until it falls and a straight shot at it is tight and runs the risk of hitting trees short and making a long upshot.
When you are on the pad at 11 you'll see a big left sweeping fairway with a very nice open area. That area then heads right down a wooded fairway down through a small ravine and then back to the basket tucked in the back of an open area under a large canopy. I try and hyzer as big a shot as I can and lay it up to try and be as close to the fairway as possible. WATCH OUT for the big tree on the right off the tee, you'll be standing in stickers needing to make a long difficult shot just to get to the wooded fairway if you hit the damn thing. If you miss the tree but come up short there is a small tunnel "shortcut" to get pretty far down the wooded fairway but it's low and tight … you make it and your golden … you miss it short or go long you got your hands full. Anything less than a 5 of this bad boy and you should consider yourself lucky.
There are two paths for 12 and even though I have a terrible anny I still like that path better than the one on the right. STAY OUT OF THE MIDDLE.
#13 wide open no trees power it up to the hole shot (the only one so enjoy it)
#14 is a pretty big sweeping anny. Watch out for the tree short and left. Over the creek is OB (cause that's 15's fairway dammit stay out !)
#15 is a great long tunnel shot with a mando, anything that fades left before the painted stump is OB. Going right is bad as well but can be done … just makes your upshot interesting and by all means do not fade left at the basket (or long for that matter). This is a small green but very par-able .. is that a word ?
#16 is long and even on days there is no wind it seems there is always a decent headwind off the tee. I usually grab something stable and rip it. Going left into the woods can be trouble so just be aware of that but most people shouldn't have too much trouble here. There is a break in a treeline that the fairway goes through and that's where I try and aim my tee shot … if you have a big arm just keep it straight. You are shooting for the far side of the elevated mound … you'll see the basket.
#17 is a hyzer ace run if I've ever seen one (at least in the short position) … watch for the high branches and just run right at it.
#18 is freakin special to say the least and I'd describe it but …. You are just gonna have to come play the course to find out just how special it is.
Hope you enjoyed this write up … got a little wordier than I planned but that's how it goes sometimes eh ?
Disc on brutha !