Calvert City, KY
Doctor's Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: nickharrington Hole #8 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 355ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

I have better places to be than the Doctor's Office

1    1/17/2013   2/19/2013
Pros: 1) Distance variation is pretty good on this course. There are some short holes, some medium length long drives with upshots, and some two shot holes for those who can't throw 300-350' consistently.
2) The ditch on a couple of the holes actually creates an interesting design feature. It forces you to really value your placement either just short of or just over. It is a little bit of luck needed to avoid it.
3) Beginner friendly course because there is nowhere to lose a disc. It is also open enough to not be super frustrating.
4) The course maintenance seems to be in pretty good shape. It looks like they take great care of this park.
5) I remember tee signs by the tees showing Hole # and distance but I forgot to write down or take photos of their detail. Sorry about this detail . . . I played 82 courses in 4 weeks and some details must have been forgotten.
6) Course map is available at the beginning of the course.
Cons: 1) The course is very flat. I do not think that there was more than a couple feet of up or down until the very end of the course. Hole #9 is the only one that really have any up and down, but it is a net zero elevation change on the hole. It goes down in a valley but then back up to the basket. Overall this does not really bring elevation into play unless you hit a tree and go to the low area you should be throwing over.
2) Not enough trees to be that enjoyable. I prefer more obstacles in my disc golf experience.
3) There is a pretty long walk between #6 and 7 but there was no way to avoid the walk.
4) There is the potential to throw into a road, onto a baseball field, and over another sidewalk. Those are three things I would prefer would be avoided when a course is put in. This park might not have been able to house disc golf without these minor issues, or perhaps they were not deemed important enough to not install the course. I said this in my other review of the other course in town, while I am a fan of disc golf over no disc golf, these are points that take away from the overall impression this course leaves in my mind. I hope the safety issues never become a problem. Common sense of the people using the course is instrumental to the sustainability of the course.
5) No benches or garbage cans on the course that I can remember seeing.
Other Thoughts: This was quite obviously the better maintained course than the other course in town. It is more of a park-like course than I prefer but it had some nice features. It was a bit boring and repetitive on a handful of the holes. It is beginner friendly but it lacks a lot of challenge or fun factor that will bring back the experienced players. All in all it has its purpose for sure, it just isn't for me.

Ready to go

1    11/17/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: peabody
Pros: Very nice park with lots of parking. Hole #1 was very easy to find as were all of the other tees/holes. Brand new concrete pads and Innova Discatchers and a well manicured area make this more than just a walk in the park.
Hole #1 is mostly straight but watch out for the OB just to the left. #3 is the long hole and it ends with the basket tucked into a few oak trees. Hole #9 is the fun shot. You can either try to flick way out to the left and come back in shallow or go directly at it through a couple of pine trees with low hanging branches. Tough hole in anybody's book.
Cons: Of course just 9 holes isn't all that good. I didn't like the back and forth in the field shots of #4 5 and 6. The walk from #6 to 7 pad was quite long but it is flat and there are trees and portapoties. When there is soccer and baseball going on this might put a damper on the disc golf. If there is wind on #9 your disc could go into the baseball field to the right.
Other Thoughts: Really nice park that you can bring the kids to and make an afternoon or a day of it. You have another 9 holer just down the road less than two minutes away so you can make a trip to Calvert City and still play a full 18 holes. I wish my small town had just one of the two courses that Calvert City has.