Nice little quick course
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Nice little quick course right off the interstate.
Decent signs, pads, baskets - the essentials.
Flushing toilets, decent restrooms.
Cons: A *little* tight, but not too bad.
Other Thoughts: My review is not meant to be an essay but to primarily add a Rating value of the course.
Previous concerns about the course because it was so new have been rectified.
Stopped in to take a break on a 1000 mile, one day trip. I was pleased with the quick round, in and out. Very friendly locals asked me to join them in league, just didn't have the time. Thanks for asking if you happen to read this.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 0 Not
The name attracted me to this course
Pros: 1) The water that was all around the park shows it must have rained heavily recently. It created two or three shots that if desired could be played with the water as OB.
2) Garbage cans were available in a couple places on the course.
3) Kiosk with a course map at the first tee.
4) Practice Basket is available by the beginning of the course.
5) Density of the trees is mostly fairly challenging, but there are a couple or more open holes. Every hole has a number of trees to avoid, but some demand a specific shot, and other allow multiple types of shots.
6) It was a lot of fun to throw these holes with the tight density of trees. It is my favorite type of hole.
7) Beginner friendly course because there is almost no way to lose a disc and the holes are short enough that even a beginner can have 1 bad shot per hole and make a recovery shot for par. They might not recover on every hole but the idea is that it is possible to recover on every hole to prevent frustration.
Cons: 1) This course has zero elevation change. Not something I would expect in Kentucky.
2) The water while it creates some additional OB, also creates some wet and muddy fairways.
3) The construction around the teepads was half finished. I am not sure if they intended to go back to the course to fix the soil around the teepads, but if they didn't I would be highly disapoointed in the workmanship. They basically left piles of soil around the teepads that when stepped became a wet muddy mess.
4) It also seemed like whoever had done some work there last also didn't care to make sure the fairways were kept clean. It seems like they drove in areas they should not have driven and that created a muddy mess with the current conditions. I sure hope they go and over-seed heavily over the entire course.
5) There is a little danger on this course where tees may be too close to baskets or other tees. There also is a road that could come into play on about 4 or 5 holes. That is something that needs to be avoided, but unfortunately this park did not have enough room for as many holes as they put in to remain safe. Perhaps this should have just been a 6 hole course.
6) Hole #9 tee sign actually shows that it is Hole #6. A funny mistake made when the signs were made, worth mentioning but I don't put a lot of value on it in my rating.
7) Distance variation is not very good with most holes between 200-300'. That is the same shot for many people.
Other Thoughts: While the pros and cons on this course are about the same. Most of the pros are somewhat expected. They are amenities that people are coming to expect and the cons are more related to things that I feel are causing problems on disc golf courses. They are things that make me feel like this course will not be sustainable. There are safety, environmental, maintenance issues all over this course. I am not bashing the designer for all of it, because there is only so much a designer can do with a property, and I am truly in the mindset that any disc golf is better than no disc golf, I just wish things could have been done right from the beginning. Perhaps I simply came to early in the history of this course and the issues I have seen will be resolved, but not all of them can with the current layout. Because of these issues, I simply have a low rating for this course. I would not be likely to return if all things were the same.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Designer Response by: HB553
The graned opening for the course March 30, when the course grounds should be seeded and growing around the construction areas.
Most all of West KY around the rivers is flat!
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Lakes area disc golf
Pros: H.B. really used this property to it's fullest. The holes are all using fairly tight lines but all have multiple angles you can take. #1 is either a wide flick/wide anny or an -S- shot and all can get you close enough for birdie. #2 and #3 have OB to the right where an errant throw might get you lost. Hole 4 has a great hyzer look but OB lurks just right behind the basket. The rest of the holes play in some pretty wooded areas where a good straight throw is the ticket but multiple angle shots can not be ruled out. #5 is my fav hole. Slight anny with OB road all down the right side.
Cons: 9 holes is never enough but other than no trash cans or benches ( should come later) I can find nothing else wrong at this time. It's pitch and putt!
Other Thoughts: This is def. the better of the two courses in Calvert City. Very fair distances as opposed to trees in the way and the flow of the course is spot on. This is the uglier park but is much better as a disc golf destination. No baseball fields and not a lot of people to get in the way. This reminds me of Memorial Park a lot. If you come to Calvert City play the other course first and save this for last. To quote a Michigan buddie Calvert City now has "The Beauty and The Beast" and old park is the Beast.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.