Boulder, CO
Valmont Disc Park Share
Uploaded By: markjfun Hole #18 (Taken 11/2012)
3 / 174ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

should be a 9 hole course

1    8/15/2013   9/28/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -holes 1-7 are fun
-elevation, trees, and interesting shots on 1-7
-concrete tees and the mach 5 baskets are in good condition
-course map, navigation is pretty easy
-fences to keep the prairie dogs off the course
-good course to bring beginners
Cons: -flat, wide open, and little challenge or fun after the first 7 holes
-lots of reeds around the creek, good luck if you throw into it
-seems like there are 18 holes just for the sake of 18
-only 18 in Boulder, busy course and lots of pedestrians
-i had someone walk off with my disc off the walking path before i got down there, keep an eye out on holes 3 and 7
Other Thoughts: Valmont is a fun pitch and putt course for the first 7 holes. They have elevation, trees, lines to hit, and fun ace runs. This part of the course is really enjoyable.

Once you leave that area of the park, the course is wide open, flat, and totally boring. Holes 8-11 are in a field and 12-16 are in another field that has a tiny ridge along one side. 17 and 18 are in a small grassy area that has two patches of very small trees and ball fields in the middle.

I think this course would be much better as a 9 hole with 17 and 18 redesigned to flow from hole 7. I agree with mndiscg that the other 9 baskets could surely be put to better use somewhere else. I guess some people would rather have an 18 hole course, even if it totally sucks, but I'd be rooting for changes if I were a Boulder local. It's no fault of the designer, there is just no way to put good holes on some of this land.

As it is, this is a good course to bring beginners. It is easy and there shouldn't be too much danger of a lost disc. Only holes 8-10 will require a driver, even for shorter arms. It gets a bit busy since it's one of only two courses in Boulder and the only 18. This area really needs a real course.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

1-7 Were Fun

1    4/8/2014   4/10/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Solid baskets and tees. They were in good working order and looked fine.
-Pretty easy to find your way around. The next tee was always close by. There were no blind tee shots so you always knew which basket you were throwing at. They had number plates just to be sure.
-Ace Runs! For almost everybody there will be the chance at an ace on at least a few holes if not all of them.
-I liked the start of this course. 1-7 were short and relatively easy but they did have some tempting ace runs where you might have a long putt back if you blow past the basket. 1-7 had some fun elevation as well.
-Good for bringing the young and the old, beginners, kids, etc. They will enjoy this course and won't be overwhelmed.
-There really isn't any chance to lose a disc.
-Nice views of the Flatirons (not as good as Harlow Platts)
-Boulder has beautiful weather.
-They keep the prairie dogs off the course so that you won't break a leg in a hole.
Cons: -Extremely short and easy.
-8-16 got really boring. I can't imagine playing this course again. Maybe I would play 1-7 on repeat instead of playing the later holes.
-This course could be busy as it is one of two courses in Boulder and this is an active community.
-Prairie dog fences were kind of annoying but I guess it is the lesser of two evils.
-Not a lot of shot shaping required, a little on 1-7 and then it's completely open (with a few scattered trees) until the final 2 holes.
Other Thoughts: -I think they should have made this an interesting pitch and putt/ace run course in the area where 1-7 were and maybe a hole or two in the middle area where 17 and 18 were. The area where 8-16 were located was flat, open, and generally boring. 18 holes isn't always a pro in my opinion and I think they could have used the other 9 baskets in another park in town.
-This course won't disappoint if you know what to expect. I won't stop here again because I was getting bored during this round. If you haven't played here, you might as well stop and bag this course and hope for an ace. It is a quick play if it isn't busy.
-As many reviewers have said, Boulder is lacking in both quantity and quality of disc golf courses. There should be some space in the foothills where a challenging, hilly, and fun course could be put in. For such an active town, there is much to be desired in the disc golf world.

Putt and putt

1    9/26/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: messyfloor
This review was updated on 11/20/2013
Pros: Well marked and easy to navigate.
Park is well kept and clean
Basket and Tees in good condition
Ace runs nearly every hole
Great upshot practice
Cons: Too short and monotonous.
Lots of holes 200' or under
Only two holes 300' or higher
Little obstacle or challenge
Other Thoughts: I recently moved from Oregon to Boulder and wanted to check out the local 18. I basically came from disc golf Mecca playing courses like Milo Mciver, Hornings, Adair Park etc. So in Comparison this course is very weak. But on its own it has a certain charm and is maintained well. The front nine are very short holes with a litte elevation and trees. Actually aced hole #3 with my Zone which was cool. ( I would say I used my Zone off the tee more often than not). In fact 80% of the holes I used a putter off the tee. I'm no expert or bomber by any means but 160' -180' holes abound here. There was a couple holes I pulled out the driver and it was a nice change.

All in all this course will make you a better player as it challenges you to have an accurate mid game and putt game. Also it is a perfect course for beginners to learn on. Advanced players will have fun getting double digit scores here. I wish there was a course within 10 miles that offered more of a complete experience. But hey I had fun anyway!

UPDATE: So after playing this course a few more times I can see how a lot of people were disappointed in the final layout. There a bunch of unnecessary holes on the back 9. I mean a dead straight 150' shot with no obstacles is frankly worthless. And there a few that are exactly that. It seems as the "18 hole course" label was more important than actually designing fun shots. Now I don't claim to know how to design a course or anything but I think there would have been no harm in developing a 12-15 hole course of more quality shots or at least more variety. That said I'm going there now! Perfect weather!

Ehhhhh...

2-4    3/3/2013   3/7/2013
Review By: libertine5010
Pros: The tree placement was decent at first but now I'm not so sure how I feel about it with all of them being cleared out. The gates and fences to keep the prairie dogs out are pretty sweet. The baskets themselves are quite nice as well.
Cons: TOO SHORT! I know they didn't have the space and I appreciate the fairways not crossing but you only need a putter for half of these holes.
Other Thoughts: Right now, its decent. I can see this being a pretty nice course by mid summer but that's if they can either add a few more trees or adjust the basket locations to make it a little more technical.

Great Community Effort

5+    12/22/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: evanmanee
This review was updated on 5/20/2013
Pros: -It is the perfect place to improve your putting, approaches, mid range, practice various touch shots, and flight paths.
-It's 18 holes in boulder!
-Great views

Cons: -I would love more obstacles, technical challenges, trees and length. But who wouldn't.
Other Thoughts: This is the course we have now, it's not perfect but it is a step in the right direction. If the Boulder Disc Golf Community can stay patient, proactive, and involved then this course could really become something special.