Victor, NY
The Apple Farm - Spartan Course Share
Uploaded By: DRice Hole #17 (Taken 11/2012)
Hole #17 Long Tee

Scenic vistas and rolling hills

5+    4/25/2015   4/25/2015
Review By: cubeofsoup
Pros: Tons of elevation. A lot of really fun holes to open up on long drives. Challenging when it's windy (it's almost always windy here). Tasty doughnuts at the pro shop. Never crowded and top notch baskets. Fly pads on most holes.
Cons: Not much in the way of obstacles. Pretty simple to stay out of trouble. One dimensional playstyle, throw far and you'll score at least OK.

Completely inaccurate distance markings.
Missing tee signs on many holes.
Horrible when they haven't mowed recently. (they have been pretty up on this recently, not a huge worry)
Other Thoughts: The DGCR SSE is listed at 47.2 which is miserably far off. The one tournament that was played here would put the SSE at about 54.5. The total length is actually about 7,500 ft and not 6,300 ft like the layout claims. Most hole lengths are way off. Example: hole 3 is listed at 302 ft from the blues, it's actually about 484 ft.

This course is still a work in progress as solid improvements to layout have been made slowly over time. Some way to go before it's deserving of a higher rating. Easy 3.5 if they fix up the signs and pads.

Cider Donuts and Disc Golf a Match Made in Heaven

2-4    12/28/2014   1/1/2015
Review By: TylerBrown2
Pros: The course has a lot of pros.

-The first was that the course is free this time of year. Normally it is $5, which is well worth it.
- Wide open holes to practice driving
- Great elevation changes on nearly every hole.
- Very little chance to lose a disc on most holes. If I played in the summer it may be a worse due to areas of high grass. Overall really well manicured with large fairways
- Nice new rubber teepads (some are uneven but overall good)
- Good disc selection at the pro shop, mainly Innova and Prodigy
- Apple cider and donuts as well as other foods and goodies in the shop. Really great donuts. I use to come here before there was disc golf just for donuts.
- Good signage, although a few had fallen down.
- A lot of distance. This may also be a negative if you are looking for a lot of birdie runs and a low score.
Cons: - Like others have said, get a course map. Some holes are around corners of brush and are not intuitive. Hole 15 is up a large hill. I actually missed it all together my first time
- A lot of straight holes
- Not a ton of variety if you ignore elevation.
- Hole 17. This might be one of the best holes but the chance of losing a disc here is very high. Small alley between two orchards, big drop off to the right if you griplock. I was lucky but I am sure others were not.
- Muddy in spots
- A few of the holes still have no teepads.
Other Thoughts: I played 3 times in 4 days including Christmas Eve. It was glorious weather and just a great course. The wind can be rough but for me just added to challenge. The rolling hills are beautiful and the course is very quiet. This is definitely a very well thought out par. I played the first day even and on two days of high winds played well over par. Most holes I couldn't get a sniff at a birdie with the high winds. I was playing the blue tees. There are red tees which would make for a easier round for beginners or just a change of pace.

No seriously, how about them apples?

1    12/8/2014   12/8/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is probably the most scenic course in the Rochester area with the biggest elevation. I love the character here. After paying in the little country store (with a surprising selection of discs), you trudge up a hill past a couple old barns. Just over the hill, the landscape of the orchard, the course, and the hills beyond lie before you.

Every hole has a pretty decent elevation change. Many of the baskets are situated on slopes. On one of the early holes, I threw my uphill approach and figured I was 15-20 feet too far. Nope. Steep hill on the other side and I was 75 feet down the hill.

The best holes of the course are toward the end, where the elevation (and the concentration of trees) amps up. Hole 16 has a pretty big top-of-the-world shot, and hole 18 finishes even bigger. My form was pretty bad when I played and my distance was poor, but I still got around 400' on this drive. Both are ones where you want to empty your bag.

Hole 14 had one of the few fairly wooded holes, a short uphill shot where playing it safe for 3 isn't hard but going for the birdie has a lot of danger from the tangled mess of growth below the basket. Hole 17 had a long, uphill par 4 with a reasonable fairway but low-hanging trees on either side to slow you down.

Tee signs were okay. Navigation was intuitive except for one or two spots where I consulted the map I got in the store. Tee pads are mostly rubber.
Cons: There are very few technical shots here. For the first 13 holes, it would be tough to hit a tree. The fairways on the first several holes are lines with apples trees, but the fairways are plenty wide. I looked at the woods off to the side of the late holes. Could this be used to add some variety?

Several tee pads were missing late in the round. This was annoying because it was pretty muddy, so I couldn't get good footing.

A few of the tee pads are not completely level, so you're throwing a little uphill on the tee.

I was there in early December, but I could see the growth off of some of the holes being tough to negotiate. The few places that do have the shrub-like plants are really thick. I emptied my bag on hole 18 and took over 20 minutes to find one disc that was bright yellow against the dull colors of early winter, despite the fact that I knew right where it went.

Maybe the biggest con is the walk from the shop to the first tee. It is neck and neck with the old Conifer layout for longest walk to the first tee. This is probably unavoidable to some degree, but I felt like the course maybe could have started a little closer.

Lastly, most of the holes are straight ahead. There was one refreshing hole in the middle of the course that required an anhyzer drive around a corner, but that was it. They are also about the same length. The baskets seemed to be in the long positions, and this meant a lot of 325-375-foot holes, the kind where I will probably take a 3 and have no real shot at a 2.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my time here. It was absolutely empty on a Friday afternoon, just me and my dog wandering among the hills and the apple trees. It's a beautiful place and well worth the $5 (they said there was no charge the day I played, so I bought some donuts). I played Basil Marella the day before and got beaten down by the tight fairways. This is the opposite. Let it fly, and then munch on your cider donut as walk to your disc and breathe in the country.

Sweet

1    5/17/2014   5/17/2014
Review By: robotmasterdave
Pros: Long holes, groomed course, mostly open, beautiful landscape.
Cons: Hilly. Must watch for Farmers and Tractors (not the common anyways).
not a beginner course unless your not keeping score or just want to work on rippers.
Other Thoughts: I will pay $5 per day to play. Plus They have a pro shop and ice cream and such.

rather play anywhere else

5+    10/20/2013   10/26/2013
Review By: Steveo356
This review was updated on 5/11/2014
Pros: Beautiful course, very quiet, and not very crowded. Nice snack bar. newly planted trees show's intent to grow and improve the course
Cons: the grass on the fairways is long and the grass in the rough is nearly waste high.
Plays some what long, the back nine spreads out a bit with some walking in between holes making its take around 2 hours to play a round.
This is one of the only pay to play courses in the area, but the price is quite reasonable at either $5 for the day or spend $10 in the store with other options available.
Other Thoughts: In conclusion this is a difficult course which is showing steady improvement from year to year and is quite pleasant to play assuming you are intermediate or more experienced player.

Winds, Hills and nature. Bring a Friend.

2-4    10/1/2013   9/28/2013
Review By: rb106098
This review was updated on 6/16/2014
Pros: - Very Challenging
- Peaceful, often didn't hear anything besides the wind and birds
- Wide open in several places allowing for big tosses
- Some really nice views of the local area
Cons: - The winds can really rip over the hills. Often a good throw was smacked down by strong gusts
- Fairways are deep
- Roughs are deeper
- Plays extremely long, one round took almost two hours (walking to and from car included)
- Parking is about a half mile from the 1st tee box
Other Thoughts: - Course can leave you feeling defeated but after looking at all the scorecards of everyone else I'm not feeling too bad.
- Play it while its free
- Bring lots of water
- I see potential in the course but it still needs a lot of shaping to get the course into some place I'd play often
- Look past the bad and maybe you'll really enjoy yourself

Amateurs beware!

1    6/17/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: Schmankster
This review was updated on 7/19/2013
Pros: -Beautiful scenery. Very clean - no trash.
-The distance, elevation changes, and tight fairways make this a very tough course.
-Friendly staff at the snack bar area. Nice selection of discs and treats.
-Decent signage to the next hole. A few were a good hike apart
-A pro and a con - the walk to #1 from the shop/parking lot. It's a hike, but it takes you far enough back that you can't hear the cars on 444. All we heard was birds chirping. Very peaceful!

Cons: -Needs hole description signs. I only saw a sign for #1. It looks like they are still trying things out, might not be a permanent layout.
-Be sure to grab a map from the store. Without it, you WILL get confused!
-The ROUGH!!! You are either in fairway or 3 foot+ rough! Very tight fairways. Tough wind will push you into the rough. Lots of thick bushes as well (are machetes allowed?) Perhaps widen the fairways or trim down the rough a bit. Beware of the rabbit holes in the rough!
-No tee pads. Uneven in a lot of places.
-No benches! Ugh! A very long course with no place to sit down.
-Little shade. I could see this being a monster on a hot day. Bring plenty of water.
Other Thoughts: -My friend and I (both of us are amateurs) shot in the mid +20's, and we were pleased with that!
-I have been playing for less than a year, but have played a lot of different courses (Basil, Chili, Parma, Shorewinds, MCC, Ellison, etc.). I spend most of my time playing from the rough. On this course, it seemed like we spent more time looking for our discs, then we did playing. Between the 2 of us, we lost 3 discs, one a bright orange one!! Ugh!
-This would be a GREAT course for someone with a lot more experience (big arms/accuracy). Beginners/amateurs - BEWARE! Make sure your phone number is on your disc!

I realize it is still a new course. Great start! However, they need to fine tune it a bit, especially if they change it to "pay-to-play"

beautiful

2-4    5/25/2014   5/8/2013
Review By: jkanick38
This review was updated on 5/25/2014
Pros: Nice change to all the current courses. the hills and elevation change create a challenging and fun course. nice store with a nice selections of discs and snack bar at check in. the people there are very nice and courteous to you when your playing. apple trees are beautiful in bloom
new fly pads installed well groomed from last year
Cons: course layout is confusing at first but if u grab a map its very helpful. no tee pads yet. and the grass/weeds were getting long and made it hard to find your discs. tees are uneven. light winds can make this course tricky
RABBIT HOLES watch you step.
pay to play
Other Thoughts: the course has an alternate basket for about half the hole which could be good or bad. bright orange is marked for the standard basket and red for the alternate basket. Great potential. Pay to play is understandable due to all of the maintenance that this course will need Great course lots of fun.

New Course Type for Rochester

1    4/24/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: JVL13
Pros: •Hole 14- elevated tee shot, elevated basket tucked in some trees
•Hole 17- new location through the apple trees
•Hot mulled apple cider on a cold April day capped off the round nicely
•Very nice scenery. The rolling hills and apple trees looked great.
•Surprisingly dry course for all of the spring rain. Only hole 9 and 12 were muddy.
Cons: •Very few obstacles- the challenge is more the distance which as many people have said is deceptive due to the hills
•Markings- you will absolutely need to take a course map when you go out. The basket for 10 is not visible from the tee box and is easily confused with 18.
•Three different holes had two baskets within 20 feet of each other making it difficult to determine which basket we were going to play (8,15, and I think 16)
•If this is a pay-to-play course, it will cut down on the number of times I will take my sons with me
•The walk to the first hole was VERY long. Due to some mud, they did not allow cars to the first hole.
Other Thoughts: I like this course as a nice change of pace from Elison where I play primarily. I believe that the rating will go up as they improve the obstacles and markings. Currently, the course was open enough that the majority of my drives were grip-it-and-wrip-it side arms. The course was long enough that I was doing the same thing for many of my second shots. Most approach shots were 100+ feet away, and some played longer due to being uphill.

A nice change of pace

2-4    11/5/2012   3/5/2013
Review By: Tmart
This review was updated on 3/15/2013
Pros: Nice baskets, no crowding issues, it's fun to drive your car down to the orchard, the bakery has good food, people seem very nice, the setting is very relaxing and when you are on the course you cannot see or hear any road - this is my favorite part of the course as it feels like you are miles away from all the noise and commotion of modern day society.
Cons: Major lack of obstacles, no teepads yet, fairways are more of a weed/dirt combination than grass, too much elevation change(a little elevation change is good but when every hole is either up or down a hill it gets old), will eventually be pay to play
Other Thoughts: This course is a solid addition in Monroe County because the course isn't like any of the courses we already have. In order to be a course that people will continually pay money to play on they will have to add some obstacles, dogleg holes, and teepads. They should probably look into good plants for ground cover and erosion protection because I could see this place getting really muddy and sloppy.