Columbia, SC
3 / 375ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Great free course

2-4    12/29/2013   1/7/2014
Review By: jonathanwaldo
Pros: I'm from St. Paul, MN so when I came down to Columbia to visit family over the holidays, I was dead set on getting some disc in that didn't involve trudging through snow. I had heard that this was a new course in the area so I thought I'd check out what Columbia had to offer. The course is free, but it looks like it's got some great folks supporting it which is important for a free course. I liked to see the course map in the parking lot, and a note about found discs.

* Tee pads were great and marked with hole numbered signs and distances, but not pin locations.
* Creative and scenic usage of the land, although the walk from 13-14 is a bit of a haul.
* The pin under the live oak on hole 8 is great.
* Some decent challenging shots and holes longer than 400', which is nice!
* Signature hole for me was probably 13 which is an 800'+ hole down a gulch which is just a blast to throw down if you can flex it out nice and long.
* Course was very clean.
Cons: * This being a new course, the path ways to the next hole were not always evident, but I eventually noticed the orange tape marking the path.
* Would have been nice to have hole maps on the signs. Some of the alternate tees I didn't see anywhere if they exist yet.
Other Thoughts: Was just a blast to play out on this course and I think they've done a great job with making the most out of the land and the terrain. It achieved one of my favorite things about playing disc golf which is that I felt like I had gone on a hike afterward, not just walked around aimlessly in the woods. Highly recommended if you are in the Columbia area.

Great new course

1    5/10/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - great addition to a neat neighborhood park.
- challenging course with creative holes and plenty of variation
- seems like it would be a great location to host a tournament
Cons: - As it is new it is tough to figure out the sequencing of holes on this course until you have played it once. Be patient your first time.
- Several of the tee signs show multiple distances to the basket. Could only find a 2nd teepad on Hole 4.
- Seems as though regular users of the park arent yet familar with disc golf so there were a few holes that I had to warn folks to watch for my throws.
- I imagine that it would get hot here in the summer months, but a plus is that most of the course is well shaded.
Other Thoughts: This course is going to be exciting for the intermediate to advanced players, definitely bring your A game for this one.
Would have given this course a 4.5 rating, but downrated it slightly because they still need to orient visitors a little better. Overall it is a stellar course.

Southeast Splendor

2-4    8/11/2013   2/6/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 8/12/2013
Pros: I liked Southeast Park. As is, a quality course. Loved the brand new DiscCatchers with deep baskets. One spoke is wrapped with tape in each of the baskets, pointing in the direction of the next tee. There are white arrows occasionally, also helping to find the next tee. the Park staff was very friendly, and I saw one police car checking the parking lot shortly after we arrived. There are a couple of shorter holes at first, some nice fairways with manageable distance. At the third hole distance begins increasing, and the challenge picks up a level. Six is a cool hole along the slope of a levy, with an interesting pin placement. Eight is a good drive with a low ceiling and a large tree defending the basket location. The water comes into play near the pin on nine as well. Twelve is a shortish hole with a tough line, that I was able to birdie. Thirteen is one of several long par 4s, and takes great placement to make par. Fourteen is another par 4, not as long and reachable in 2 throws. Sixteen is a short ace run next to the road, then the seventeenth and eighteenth holes are the super long distance shots across a large grass field. The course is mostly flat, with moderate elevation change on a couple of holes. I thought the fairways were nicely sculpted with reasonable lines on every hole. The back 9 plays very long.
Cons: The amenities were solid, concrete tees and signs have now been installed. Tees large and level. A few benches and trash cans thrown in would be nice (ideally, not at all imperative). The flow of the course is not super smooth, with some tricky transitions after holes 5, 6, and 13. Park doesn't have restroom facilities, picnic tables and trashcans are near the parking lots.
Other Thoughts: The map under the parking lot kiosk is helpful, but it is closer the the fifth tee than the first. Pay attention to the basket location of hole thirteen as you walk between 6 and 7, because it is not visible from the tee. The grassy clearing is the fairway. A few of the holes are a bit repetitive, but overall fun and challenging. Long, accurate drives are a must to score on this one. This course kicked my butt first time through. Managed to shoot a 2 over, 61 on the third round. A nice addition to the area, and great contrast to Earlewood Park. As it has become more established and better equipped it has really become an excellent course, in my opinion.