Spotsylvania, VA
Uploaded By: lotsill Hole #10

Loriella

1    5/20/2014   5/22/2014
Review By: Brosneeks
Pros: First few holes give you some good long shots and work more into the woods and get more technical. 10 is an awesome set up and a fun hole. Several holes have more 2 tee boxes and baskets. Course is well maintained and fairly easy to follow.
Cons: Basket placement changes often, which is a good thing but some of the holes are hard to place the basket. The fields could be cut a little more often to make it easier to find you disc after your initial drive.
Other Thoughts: Better course for newer players and helps get your throws lined up before the harder holes further into the course.

Underrated Challenge

1    3/7/2012   9/7/2013
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: I have no idea why this course is not rated higher? It has elevation, woods, water, tight lines, open bombs, short holes, long holes, dual tees and dual basket positions.

It takes some skill to play here as you're either carving or riding the winds up and down huge grassy hills or managing the woods or hitting specific lines on forested fairways...distances are advanced to pro worthy. Lot's of thinking and strategy out here as well...with a premium on smart play and execution due to some baskets and tees nestled in interesting nooks...The real joy here for me was the contrast between reckless bombing and then hitting fair golf lines. Hole #3 is the only hole I have ever come across like it......a true hallway of trees downhill....pure it and you're getting a bird or par...shank it and you're going bogey with some creative save shots. The water carry is also a lot of fun as are the downhill bombs in the fields. I think there is a great amount of fun as well as challenge here to keep you enjoying yourself even as you might struggle in the woods or with the wind. The dual tees allow for not only easier quicker play but also more variety......there could be 4 different layouts due to dual tees and pin positions...this saves erosion and keeps things fresh and appropriate to skill level or amount of time a local may want to spend out there.
Tees were not an issue and signage was well done. 1 mando on the course that didn't really affect your shot but was more for idiot shot prevention and safety. The course is far away from other activities and users of the park....I never felt like I was in a park at all...has the feel of an excluded disc golf course.
Cons: Much of the woods might seem too difficult for macho beginners or lower rated players....hint use the shorter tees and play for bogey. Some of the field distances may also overwhelm shorter arms...I'm not picking on lesser players...I am one of them but the course is designed for a higher level of player......hole 4 has a way of making you feel really small and wimpy lol....Course may lack a few signature holes to make it top echelon outside of the pond holes and #3. A top course might have 9 or more dramatic type holes.
Other Thoughts: This is an older course but still delivers. IMO it should be a 4.25 rated course. I fear many bypass it when traveling to the blockhouse on DG vacations when in reality this is a worthy destination on it's own merit.

Excellent course

2-4    7/15/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: ARIK HANZIN
This review was updated on 10/15/2012
Pros: Lots of shot variability - distance shots, short shots, hyzers, anhyzers, overhands, backhands, forhands. You'll use every disc in your bag at this course.

Excellent mix of wooded holes and field holes.

Field holes make excellent use of hills and some trees to add challenge and make each hole a different experience.

Tee signs tell you where the next hole is and even if you forget to check, the flow is pretty consistent.

The holes are spaced really nicely so you have to do minimal hiking, but you rarely run the risk of a wild shot heading into another hole.

Longer feild holes really let you air out your shots without fear of losing discs; the rough is pretty easy.

Great for all skill levels

Ice cream truck regularly comes as soon as I finish my round, (maybe I'm just lucky haha)
Cons: I've never seen any par info on any of the tee signs. This site claims each hole is a par 3, which makes this course pretty hard in my opinion, (other than that, it's quite beginner friendly)

The tee pads aren't exactly the best I've seen, but I personally had no trouble identifying them or with traction

While there is an excellent 50/50 split of wooded holes and open holes, there isn't anything in between - The open holes are REALLY open and the wooded holes are REALLY tight

No water fountains in or even around the park that I could find
Other Thoughts: This is probably my favorite course to play at, and it has basically everything I look for in a course. It favors big arms, (theres a 700+ foot, uphill, par 3), and you'll really get to work on your distance in most of the 9 open holes. The other 9 are real tight and really reward good control.

Also living in a hole in a tree on hole 16 is a huuuuge snake.

Very nice!

2-4    7/10/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: J-Mo
Pros: This course is very nice. A great variety of right/left, close/far, open/wooded, water hazards, and multiple pin positions to keep it fresh.

Nicely done tee signs.

It is free to play, and there are plenty of other things to do at Loriella park if you bring the family and they don't want to play DG.

There is plenty of parking.
Cons: The tee pads were less than desirable. They need to either take better care of the tee pads, or just bite the bullet and put in cement tees.

No alcoholic beverages (in any VA state park, from what I hear).
Other Thoughts: Overall outstanding course. I highly recommend it!

Spotsylvania does it again.

1    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: -Multiple tee pads and nice tee signs.
-Discatcher baskets are in good shape
-Course is well maintained
- Great variety of shots, some elevation, but a really good ratio of open to heavily wooded holes to the left and right require many different shot styles.
The water creates 2 interesting and potentially risky holes that can easily be played safe, or you can go for it.
- Clear carpeted tee pads (not sure how the carpet reacts when wet)
-Restrooms
Cons: Lots of pedestrian traffic. Course is on a popular park so it can get crowded.
Navigation was a small issue, I did not see any markings on the baskets or trees to guide us to the next hole. Luckily BMXcraziekid was there to guide us.
Other Thoughts: This area has some amazing courses all clustered with in an hour. Loriella park, Hawk Hallow, the Grange, and Pratt Park would make for a memorable weekend destination.

This is an excellent tournament caliber course, but it is not a place I would repeatedly play alone, it is the kind of course where you will want competition.

2-4    8/31/2010   9/1/2010
Review By: cahurley
Pros: Excellent tee signs, dual tee locations with carpet tees, open and wooded holes, benches at most of the tee boxes, friendly locals
Cons: Unkempt in areas, could be difficult to navigate between some holes
Other Thoughts: Loriella park has a great disc golf course. My friend and I drove up from Richmond to play and wound up meeting a local (Dennis) at the start who joined us for our round. Throughout the round, Dennis was giving us some background info on the park and the recent changes to the course. Within the past couple of months, there has been work done on some of the wooded holes as well as the addition of signs at each tee telling the location, distance and par of each hole. The tees were carpet which was great for the weather we had, but I can imagine them getting soggy after rain. There were also benches at most of the tees for us to relax if there had been anybody else on the course, but while we were there I didn't see any other golfers. There are multiple pin locations and while some of the holes had multiple baskets, others had a single basket that is moved from time to time for variation.

My biggest issue with this course was the lack of maintenance on the open holes. The grass looked like it hadn't been cut for months and was knee-high in places. The park could just cut fairways and leave the rest high and it would be great, but it was obvious they hadn't done much work on the fields in a while. It could also be difficult to navigate the open part of the course if we didn't have a regular with us because there was a little bit of a hike between some of them and many of the holes are visible so you have to know which tee is which.

Otherwise, there weren't any real obvious problems that would take anything out of playing at this park. Unlike many of the wooded courses out there, we didn't run into many thorned plants or poison ivy and, unless your throw is way off or in the pond, it would be difficult to lose a disc. Overall I'd have to say that Loriella Park was an excellent course and one of my favorites out of the courses I've played in the northern part of VA.

Good times

1    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: IAMGT
Pros: Really nice tee-pads. They are large, and have carpet which can help give you some extra grip. Also, I liked the fact that there are benches at almost every hole which is nice to lay your bag on, or just rest while others are throwing. The course has a variety of open holes and wooded holes. Starting out in the open can be nice as your first few holes are forgiving since they are wide open. I personally felt the fun began once you got more into the woods. Hole number 10 is one of the coolest holes I have played. I love the fact you have to throw over the pond. If you throw from the pro tees, you are really testing your skills as it is one amazingly difficult shot! I imagine there are a lot of discs in the pond. The course is challenging but not unrealistic. Par is reachable on every single hole. Playing this course for the first time, I shot a one over which is nice seeing that next time I would really try and improve on that after knowing the course a bit better. The paths and fairways are maintained well throughout the woods and it would be fairly difficult to lose a disc because of how well cleaned out it is.
Cons: There was absolutely no signage on the tee-boxes letting you know what the distance was, or where you were throwing. If I did not have someone with me who knew the course, I would have been in a lot of trouble trying to find the basket or where to go to next. There were a couple of arrows throughout the course to tell you were the next tee box was, but nothing that was absolutely distinct.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course to play for the first time. I am from PA and was visiting Uncle and this course provided me a great opportunity to play some Virginia Disc Golf. I played this course with an ex-marine who happened to show up at the course at the same time, so it was nice having a seasoned vet who knew the course!.

This Temptress Loriella Could Really Hurt A Fella

5+    3/7/2010   3/14/2010
Review By: G Bud
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: * Outstanding use of land and layout.
* Elements like water, wind & elevation add to challenge.
* Multiple tee & pin positions.
* Good variety of open & wooded fairways.
* Wide variety of shots needed.
* Restrooms & Other park amenities.
* Great Club Support (Go Spotsy!!)
* Park is an easy find / Not too far off I-95.
Cons: * Tee pads - Carpet mostly / Can be uneven & tricky, especially on wet days.
* Tee signage - None (But they are on the way!)
* Navigation can be tricky - A map will be a must for 1st timers.
* May have to share course with park users on busy days.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course hidden in the back of Loriella Park. Though the park may be busy on pretty days, I never found users a major problem beyond the dog walker or runaway kid. The park is a small, pleasant setting of ball fields and playgrounds. You might not even notice the big girl that lays waiting for you.
If you can get beyond the few Cons listed, you will be rewarded for your patience. The white tees may give the beginner or rec player a bit more challenge then desired but even the pond is doable for most. Pros will love letting it rip on the field holes and enjoy the challenge the trees have to offer.
Just when you think you're Johnny Bravo from the white tees, the red tees show you just what a Brick house this girl Loriella really is. In this layout there are only 3 holes under 300' and B pin positions that may make you a little weak kneed. The challenge added by the wind, water and elevation just adds to the experience. The course lends itself very nicely to tournament play. The Loreilla Challenge is an excellent tournament experience. Thanks Golfnbob for a great weekend!! This and other events here should be on your tour calendar.
What this course needs most is a little TLC and it is starting to get it. I played recently (6/10) and all the tees have poles for what must be future tee signs.I still have issues with some tee pads but good things happen slowly. A course I go out of my way to play. Only a fool would pass up a chance at gettin' some Loriella Lovin'.

Loriella

5+    1/21/2010   2/1/2010
Review By: aPfaff
Pros: THe pros are that it has its technical parts and its wide open spaces parts. Its diverse and not crowded with other recreational sports. The people there are friendly and will let you play through. The pond is beautiful and so is the layout (unlike pratt).
Cons: Holes 4 and 15 i just dont like those holes because 15 you eihter have to throw forearm or have a mean anhyzer. and hole 4 just keeps going on forever
Other Thoughts: nice course

Nice Central VA Course

5+    6/25/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: dobsonr
This review was updated on 1/3/2010
Pros: When first entering Loriella Park you get the feeling that you may have to contend with some park patrons during your round. The soccer fields, pool, playground, and pavilion have been fairly crowded every time that I've been here, but once you start your round you quickly forget that they are there. There is a practice basket near the first tee to warm up on, and once you tee off on #1 the other park patrons are out of sight for most of the round.

This course makes great use of the terrain, with an equal amount of open and wooded holes, all of which vary greatly in elevation and types of shots required. The layout of the course is great in that the open and wooded holes are well dispersed throughout the course - no 2 holes here are alike. The dual tees on each hole make the course enjoyable for all skill levels, and combined with the alternate basket locations it's hard to get tired of playing here.

In one round at Loriella you should be able to use every disc in your bag. There are plenty of long, open holes where you can air it out, as well as many technical holes that require more finesse than power. Regardless of what you look for in a course, you should enjoy playing here.

Favorite hole - #5; open, downhill shot, perfect for airing it out RHBH.
Cons: The teepads are the first thing I'll mention here. They are mostly old carpet or astroturf, which I prefer over natural tees. They really aren't bad to play on, but after a rain some of them can be pretty gross, and I think that the course would be greatly improved with cement tees.

The grass on the open holes has been very long the last few times I've played here. This is an easy fix - I'm not sure how often the fields are mowed, but the grass was easily a foot high when I last played. This really isn't a big deal either, but the overall playing experience is much better when the grass was shorter.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend this course. It is my favorite course is Spotsy, though I still haven't played Hawk Hollow (hoping to change that soon). The cons that I listed don't take much away from this course - it is very well designed and a blast to play.