Newberry, SC
Hunter Park Share
Uploaded By: garryj Hole #7 (Taken 4/2016)
Hole #7 Approach

Great course in the middle of a cool little town.

1    6/3/2016   6/3/2016
Review By: Jeffsdfw
Pros: 1. Course is easy to locate and is in the middle of the city.
2. Clean, well maintained, mowed, "ruff" where it needs to be.
3. Great layout, good use of tree's. Challenging placement of baskets.
4. Ample parking
5. Under used course, was the only person in the park the whole time.
6. Baskets are numbered, Tee is marked by a wooden post.
7. Once you find the first hole., its very easy to follow.
8. Good use of park and space.
It's a must play and you will use a number of disc's in your bag.
Cons: 1. Needs trash cans. Park is clean but would have been nice to throw my bottle away. instead I has to keep it with me the whole time.
2. Two of the baskets are close to the street.
Other Thoughts: Take lots of water if playing during the summer months, Nice breeze, and some shade, but lots of open space in direct sunlight.,

Beautiful city park course!

1    4/27/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: garryj
This review was updated on 5/17/2016
Pros: Playing Margaret Hunter Park was a very pleasant surprise. First, and most important, it's a beautiful course. The previously posted photos were a little dated, so I've added some new ones.The grassy fairways were neatly trimmed and well maintained, with no litter. Even though I wouldn't call it a wooded course, there are a lot of mature trees to negotiate. There's also a winding creek that comes into play on almost every hole. You're either throwing across it or alongside of it, and make no mistake, it will swallow up your disc. There are many baskets set just in front of the creek, which forces you to make a decision of laying up or going for it. The layout is unique and gives you the opportunity for a variety of throws. Don't make the mistake of carrying only a driver and a putter. There are several holes over 300 feet, so there's room for most of us to rip it. Still, I'd consider it more of a finesse course. If you can keep it in play, you'll score well. I've got to believe the designer gave a lot of thought in creating the course on the size property he (she) had to work with. Well done!
Cons: Not too many negative things to say. Sure, concrete tee pads would be great, and most of the baskets could use a coat of paint. On my last visit I also noted that the basket on hole 3 had been vandalized,
Other Thoughts: I wasn't sure whether to list the number of holes (12) as a pro or a con. The temperature was near 90 the day I played so I was "done" after 12. If you've still got energy to burn, play it twice.
My family enjoys playing a variety of courses. We try to stay within an hour of home and this one was at the edge of that limit (55 minutes from Simpsonville). It was definitely worth the drive, we'll be back.

A Biased Review

5+    5/23/2004   5/23/2008
Review By: nosajeel99
This review was updated on 6/1/2009
Pros: There actually is some skill required on some of the shots as this course requires finesse and accuracy more than power. It is a wonderful course to just take a Roc out and throw. There are some nice holes and some can be a challenge, especially for right handed backhanders. There are open, long drives, short hyzers and anhyzers, wooded holes, water in play on nearly every hole. There is a lot packed in on such a short, small course. It is easy to find your way around.
Cons: It is too short. Only 12 holes, which can be a positive if you want to get a round in quickly. Great course for those learning how to play. Advanced players will be wanting more. Only earthen tee pads which can be uneven.
Other Thoughts: This is the course that introduced me to and made me fall in love with disc golf, so, naturally, I am biased to liking this course. I played it quite often while at Newberry College (4-5 times a week) and my friends and I would play the 12 and then make up 6 more holes (12 tee to 3 basket). The course lends itself to that type of play if you want to add some extra holes. It may be worth the drive if you want to add another course to your "played" list. If you are in the area, I think it is worth it just to play once.

Kinda my home course

4/23/2008   5/18/2008
Review By: Newberry7
Pros: Its a good starting course for people who are just getting the feel of the game, its short and compact with not a lot of hills coming into play, has a creek that runs through the course and comes into play on a few holes.
Cons: Its short, not a lot of times to pull out the drivers and let one air out, not worth driving to go play.
Other Thoughts: I got to college at Newberry College so me and my buddies play this course many times during the week and the school year. Its a fun course for you and your friends to go out and cut up and have a great time.

Pitch'n'Putt

1    3/12/2008   3/12/2008
Review By: DavidSauls
This review was updated on 12/2/2009
Pros: Located in a pretty and otherwise unused city park. Pretty short, three holes around 275-325' and the rest shorter. Uses large trees, some elevation, and a creek so all holes have modest but interesting challenges to them.

Some sharp-turning fairways, especially RHBH anhyzer, allow you to use a variety of discs.

Lightly used---you'll probably have course to yourself.
Cons: Only 12 holes. Though as short as it is, you can play 2 rounds and have the equivalent of a single 18-hole round.

Dirt tees, some a bit uneven. Tees are only marked with a post; front of tees not clearly marked.
Other Thoughts: A fine place for beginners, families, & kids. For more advanced players, a chance to work on your short game in a pretty setting.

With the low usage, you can create your own tees and holes crisscrossing the course, if you want.

Not worth driving to get there, but if you're passing through the area, certainly worth a visit.