Athens, GA

< Prev 1 2 3
Sandy Creek

5+    6/5/2015   6/5/2015
Review By: damtroll
Pros: The course is 22 holes. The more, the better right?

Three nice sets of concrete pads on nearly every hole,which really affects the difficulty level. I played the reds and blues in 2 separate rounds today, and there is a marked change in difficulty between the pads.

Some really good wooded holes on 12-22. While it really challenges me, I think hole 21 is a really good example of what a par 3 hole should. Play it safe to the edge of the wetland bowl, throw a simple shot with late fade for a tap in par, or take a chance and maybe get a 2, get wet, and/or get a 5. Hole 17 is another really nice example of what wooded golf should be, with a wooded creek on the right of the long, narrow fairway before the turn uphill to the basket on the left.

Course is in a well maintained park, and course maintenance is pretty good.

Decent signage with next tee signs.

The course loops back to the parking lot after hole 7, so you can use the rest room, refill your water bottle before hitting the back 15.

Some alternate pin positions. The tee pads don't seem to be changed all too often, but I have noticed differing pin positions for 3 and 12 fairly often, with 5,6,10, and 23 (and maybe others) changed less often.
Cons: No hole 8. I know the reasons for its removal, but it is still pretty annoying for the purposes of entering scores into DGCR,

There are a few open holes that are less than exciting. Hole 7 is pretty much a wide open shot. Hole 23 is a wide open bomb shot, After 11 holes in the woods, I guess I shouldn't complain about a wide open rip and grip shot.
Other Thoughts: The course is play to pay. $3.00 per person, with $2.00 for park entry and $1.00 for disc golf.

The transition from 21 to 22 is rather long. At the second tee sign, take the right fork to cross the bridge over the ravine and get to 22's pad. Also, watch out for anyone throwing on 13.

Course (and park) is closed on Monday.

5+    10/10/2015   12/19/2014
Review By: Didn'tSeeThatTree
This review was updated on 10/15/2015
Pros: UPDATED 10/15/2015 - Trying to redeem myself for a lazy first attempt at a review.

- Fun balance of open and wooded technical shots with a few grip it and rip it holes. Plus there are 22 holes!! The more the better IMHO.

- Recovery potential if your tee shot goes off the fairway. Some courses feel like the penalty is too high for going off the fairway, and others don't hurt you enough. Sandy Creek feels right. I've been of the fairway a ton, but rarely do I have to just pitch out...maybe 1/5 time is there no chance of still advancing. mostly I have to decide between a risky but possible shot up towards the pin, or a safe pitch-out. Rarely is a pitch-out the only option.

- Well maintained public park with clean bathrooms, and there are even some new benches on a few holes.

- The best course in the Athens area. Herman C Micheal is the only other course within 30 minutes, and it's good for a quick round, but Sandy Creek is the best in the area.

- No real water hazard to lose a disc into. I personally hate losing a disc. Throwing over water is fun, but as I play this course a bunch I enjoy not having to get wet looking for my errant shots.

- Lots of variety on the course. There is a good mix of open and wooded. Multiple tee pads/pin locations. I almost always play from the white tees, occasionally the blue when I'm feeling frisky. My wife comes along occasionally and has fun playing from the red tees.

Here is my hole by hole break down, some of the cons are in here, but the diversity of this course to me is the biggest Pro so I'm listing this here:
1) Mostly open. Longest hole requires a placement tee shot to have a good look at landing your second near the pin. OB road left and wooded area to the right. Also, a row of tall trees line the fairway along the road that seem to come into play often. (Side note: Should probably be a par 4 not a 5 in the normal long position. I played a round with Doug Porter (designer) and he explained the intended long position isn't used because of a potential safety issue with a blind approach shot over a walking path so they had to shorten the hole approx. 150')

2) Mostly open with trouble on both sides. Really fun downhill shot. Not really a long par 4 from the white tees. With a good drive you could have a look a an eagle 2. (I never have, but someone with a bigger arm than me definitely could). Be careful not to hyzer (RHBH) out too bad left...the tall grass is a disc thief.

3) Wide tunnel shot. Solid hole in either pin position. Good birdie potential from the white tee. The blue tee is tucked back making the initial gap between two trees much more intimidating.

4) Open with trouble around pin. Ace run!! but be careful not to sail past for a long comeback putt. Probably the shortest hole. Pretty easy 2 if you don't get greedy with your tee shot.

5) Uphill with OB along left side. There is a smallish gap between two thickets that your tee shot has to make it through for a birdie look. I don't hit it often, but it is really satisfying when I do!

6) I hate this hole, not because it's bad...I just take a lot of bogeys. The normal pin location (past the cedar tree) requires a big shot to have a birdie look. The BH line feels like there is a luck factor for a look at 2. the FH route feels safer to me, but you would have to have a cannon to get inside the circle.

7) Open hole with basket on a ridge. I like the FH option since there a some trees right off the tee that can get a BH in trouble.

8) HOLE REMOVED - Discs used to land on the roof, and the story I've heard is some moron took the furniture out of the center to climb up and retrieve a disc and left it outside to get rained on...thanks pal!

9) Another FH/BH choice. There is an initial tree to clear for the FH, but it's clear from there. Hit the tree, and bogey is possible. The BH route is safer and more open at first, but there is a row of trees which can knock the shot down early.

10) Open with a few trees to dodge. There so many routes from the white tee. RHBH hyzer skip shot off the road, putter or mid straight up the gut, or FH over the tennis courts. Pretty get-able birdie. The blue tee is super fun on this hole too.

11) Good challenge. Tight tee shot and tucked pin. the first 100' off the tee has a number of pine trees to work around, but it's wide open from there until the pin. I've had good success with a flex FH that finishes into the pocket where the basket is tucked. Really satisfying birdie if you can get it.

12) Wooded par 4. Requires a straight tee shot to have a good approach. Going right or left off the fairway makes getting to the circle in two very tough. A smarter player than me would probably throw a putter or mid off the tee to make sure they had a clean look on their second shot. I'm not a smart man, so I find myself off the fairway more often than not.

13) Wooded tight with ravine to contend with. The normal pin location seems to be long near the walkway, which seems to require a tight RHBH flex shot or dead straight 300' shot (which I don't have) to get a birdie look. I don't think I've ever birdied this hole location, but it sure is a fun challenge. A putter or mid of the tee is a good way to avoid trouble, but will probably not get a birdie look.

14) Short wooded tunnel shot. The designer said this was not the original hole 14, but a temporary location that wound up being permanent. Kind of a throw away hole.

15) Very tight wooded. IMHO the worst hole on the course. This is the only hole that I don't see how to get a look at birdie without some luck involved. There is a cluster of trees 80' off the tee with no real line to the pin. It feels like luck every time a tee shot gets through clean, and even then it's rare to be within 60' of the pin.

16) Wooded slightly to right with pin on slope. Another hole with a really cool blue tee that is fun to try. The BH line requires a straight or slight turn-over. I normally throw a FH off the white tee and hope for a good skip off the hill leading to the basket.

17) Wooded par 4 with trouble left and right on tee shot. Really fun tunnel shot down an old logging road. There are two gaps to land in. The shorter gap is a nice RHFH line, and if you can hit the long gap and get up the hill much then birdie should be easy. Anything off the fairway, and you will be scrambling to save par.

18) Slightly uphill wooded with tree right in the middle. Not much to say about this hole. Miss the tree and you should be in good shape.

19) Fun downhill wooded shot. Throw a slight turn over with a putter and watch it glide! Or in my case turn it over too much and watch it kick into the woods! Throwing a flick FH works, but stopping in time can be a challenge I think the original blue tee is no longer used. There seems to be both blue and white marks on the middle tee box.

20) Kind of like hole 18. Not much to say on this one...wooded..uphill. No tree in the center like 18, but similar shot to execute for a birdie look.

21) YES!!! Wooded with a wetland bowl to clear. Elevation change and a low canopy that forces you to hit a tight line. I've always really liked this hole. Clearing the swamp is always a fist pump moment. This to me is the signature hole at Sandy Creek.

22) Another good wooded hole. Par 4 with both a right and left fairway. There is a thicket of trees and light brush in the middle...somehow I'm here more often than in one of the fairways. There are so many routes/combinations of throws to take on this hole, it's really a good one. It was intimidating until I could throw a FH, now it's one of my favorites.

23) Wide open par 4. Big arms, or good rollers might even get a look at an eagle! Great way to finish, very fun to grip it and rip it after all the tight lines through the woods of hole 12-22 .
Cons: Mostly just gripes...Other than the few "Meh" holes I have no issue with the course and would highly recommend it to anyone. Might not be the best beginner course I know I struggled to break 100 when I first started playing, but still a beautiful park and a good walk through the woods.

- Pin location rarely changes. The potential for more variety is there...just not utilized

- No league play and few tournaments. This doesn't take away from how great the course is. I just personally would like to see a few more events at this course. I'm glad there is a random draw doubles at nearby Herman C. Michael, and hats off to the people that make that happen. Sandy Creek seems like a good place for more tournaments. If you build it they will come right?

- Fire ants and poison where you stand.

- No more hole 8.

- Park hours limit playing time. Closed on Mondays and not open at first light.

- People littering on course. Not a con against the course. Just a reminder...if you can carry it in full you can carry it out empty! This said Sandy Creek is a really clean park overall. I just shake my head every time I have to clean up someone's trash on the course.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully more people discover this gem. It is rarely crowded (I should list that in the Pros hehe). I live 15 minutes from this course, and probably play here 5-10 times per month and never get bored of it.

It is $3 ($2 park, $1 disc golf) If you are a regular look into buying a park pass and punch card. The pass is $40/year and the card is $10 for 12 rounds. I got a pass this year, and would guess I've played 60 times so far. That's probably $80-$100 I've saved...who am I kidding...I spent it on plastic :)

My first dog was named Sandy

1    10/31/2014   11/11/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - It starts with multiple pads (2 or 3) on top of rotating pin positions. There's also 23 (actually 22 because there is no #8) holes here so there's a ton of different ways to play this course and you could play it multiple times in different configurations; that's a huge plus. (Also for the purpose of this review I played most of the long pads.)

The two biggest strengths of Sandy Creek is that it gives a solid balance in hole type and forces you to throw a variety of shots in different circumstances.

The front eleven starts you off in the more open area of the park. There's some gaps to hit and some trees to avoid but for the most part it's about being able to place your shot over length. If you have the arm you can take more obstacles out of the way by hyzering/anhyzering around them. There's some fun holes on this front part and I especially like the stretch from 9-11 which matches that fun with challenge and more interesting lines.

The second eleven to me is the real strength of the course. It gets you down in the woods in the undulating terrain by the lake. Here you have quick elevation changes and some really interesting lines.

Most of the holes back here can be reached with a mid but a few are longer and require a fairway driver. I only played one set of pin positions but I could tell that they did a good job of changing the shot. I also really liked the selection of basket positions, they were usually tucked in to a nice spot or on some slope to add challenge. This all leads to a really balanced course.

The back eleven does a really good job of making you work the disc through gaps while moving it. Even the straighter overall holes aren't simple. It's not overly challenging but enough to make it interesting.

At the end you pop back out in the open for one more bomber hole that ends the round nicely.

There's one par 5 (though I'd call it a par 4) and five par 4's (though I'd call some of those a par 3) thrown in. A few were really solid holes that forced good placement shots to set you up for the second. It's one more area the course gives you variety in.

Equipment - Concrete pads for each tee and good signs that show you the length and hole layout. There's scorecards with a map available at the parking lot. The baskets seemed to be in good shape.

Atmosphere - Overall the park is pretty scenic. You have the lake in view on a few holes and the terrain is interesting. Once you get in the back you're in a more secluded place and I enjoyed that part more than the front but it's definitely a fun place to play disc golf.

Cons: Layout - The bigger weaknesses for this course really come in to play on that front 8 (well 7). I liked a few of these holes and it's not that they were all bad but it's just overall not that impressive. There's a few really boring open shots over there.

There's also some weird distances on a few of those holes from the long tee that create some tweeners.

The back part of the course is much better but there's not many holes that really make you go wow. It's just really solid golf and nothing amazing.

There's also a few holes on the back that seem like tweeners and some holes that from the long tee just have really awkward angles to the lines.

It would of also been nice if they could of brought the lake more in to play.

Equipment - There's no basket #8. From what I understand it had to be removed for safety reasons but to me it makes more sense to just renumber the rest of the course.

Some of the tees were really sandy...

Atmosphere - The front part of the course isn't all that great atmosphere wise, there's a few nice looking holes but I just didn't like the feel of it.
Other Thoughts: Sandy Creek is a solid and fun course to play and I'd recommend it to anyone in the area. Though if i lived in the area I'd probably mostly just start at 9 and play through 23 or work out some other 18 hole layout.

Let's try again

2-4    11/8/2014   11/10/2014
Review By: nightwing
This review was updated on 7/5/2015
Pros: Concrete tee-pads
3 tees per hole
Mix of open grass and tight trees
Several interesting shots
Good basic infrastructure
Lovely park
Mostly Disc-only area for the course
Cons: No maps...not even on the Kiosk?
'Back 15' very hard to play.
Not much elevation
Some repetitive holes on the back
Other Thoughts: NOTE ON EDITED REVIEW: WHEN A REVIEW OF MINE ISN'T 'HELPFUL', I STOP AND ASK WHY. I EDITED THIS ONE A LOT. But the basic concerns stay the same. I really think a player who does not know this course needs honest information.

This is a pretty good course, but I have to say it wore out my patience. It took 20 minutes for the staff to admit that they could not find me a map. But what was really lame was that a pay to play course did not even have a map posted in the kiosk. Wandering lost with no idea how to get going on the back really dampened the day. (There were good signs once I finally got to the denser woods).

This was a beautiful, sunny saturday but I only saw about 10 players, all but 2 on the "Front 7". The back seemed to have scared most players off and I could see why. Does it make sense to put nearly every pin in the 'Throw long and blind' position when leaves have buried the course? I'm sorry to complain but the fact that the back was nearly unplayed seems to indicate something here. Throw in a few redundantly dense tree holes and it just wasn't much fun.

Sandy Creek could be a 4 star course with more love and fewer leaves. But on the day I was there, 3.5 is giving the benefit of the doubt.

Great balance of open and wooded

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: hellbound
Pros: Got to finally play this course for the first time this weekend and i do have to say wow what a use of land and trees

The frount nine uses mostly open field shots that allow you to open your arm up and get you throw dialed in before hitting the wooded holes. You really have to take a step back and really enjoy the way that some of the trees in the fairways were placed in spots to shape the holes and define the fairways.

Back nine turns into a great change of pace and a place to beat the summer heat. If the frount nine did not beat your score up too bade dont think your going to just cruse on to a great score with the shorter holes. Deifined wooded holes with multiple lines to the holes. As a left handed bh and flick i enjoyed not having to think right handed on all the holes.
Cons: Really my complantes are not much of anything. Talking to a few locals and seeing it first hand the pin locations can be a little tuff to fiquire out. Each hole has three tee pads and three pin locations. (love this by the way.) Can get a little tuff to fiqure out.
Other Thoughts: I will be back. It was a demanding course that offers everything that I love to see in a course and then some. If your one of the few that don't enjoy paying a few bucks to play the course then your missing out.

Open and Closed

1    3/20/2014   3/20/2014
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
This review was updated on 10/16/2015
Pros: This course is located in a HUGE park that was very well maintained.
The baskets are Discatchers and in good shape.
The sign were very accurate and gave all the distances and pin positions.
Most holes had 3 different tees that changed the lengths of the holes quite a bit.
The tee pads on this course were grippy and in great shape.
The first 7-8 holes are fairly open and use a few trees, distance and elevation to challenge the players.
Holes 10-22 are in the woods and are very technical.
You will have to play all the shots to get around this course.
Good shots will yield lots of birdies on this course, but poor shots could result in some BIG numbers
The paths on the holes and from basket to the next tee were really nice and easy to follow.
Cons: Even though the course tells you that hole 8 is missing, we had a difficult time finding hole 9 from 7's basket.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great place to play disc golf. Beginners can have a good time from the red tees, while intermediate players will be tested from the white tee and advanced players can get all they want from the blue tees. I come to this area at least a couple of times a year and will definitely return to this course.

Over the meadow and through the woods

1    1/1/2014   1/8/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Great course in a nice park offering several other activities (check their website for details).
•Variety: Welcomes you with several semi-open to lightly wooded, fairly flat holes employing well-placed stands of trees. The initial holes don't necessarily call for oodles of control, but still force you to shape a reasonable line if you hope to putt for par or better. The course then heads into the woods where trees and rolling terrain make things more interesting. A great mix of fairway shapes encourages BH/FH, hyzers/annies, and S-shots. Most tees present a few possible lines to challenge your decision making, but a few pretty much give you only one, defying you to pull it off. Does a decent job of offering a nice variety of lengths within each tee color (rather than forcing you to mix tees up to get a reasonably full range of distances). Throw in some nice elevation changes and a few rollaway greens along the way, and you have a fairly complete course that pretty much gives you a chance to use every shot in your arsenal and challenges all aspects of your game. Rotating A, B, C pin positions provide additional variety for locals.
• Equipment: Red, white and blue concrete tees were in good shape with ample footing. While the blues typically didn't change the line from the red and white tees appreciably, what they do exceptionally well is provide a much smaller window off the tee, requiring both power and finesse - playing in the woods from the blues is where you'll want those oodles of control. Innova baskets were easy to spot and in good shape. Tee signs were simple, informative, assisted in navigation. Scorecard/maps are available.
• Aesthetics: Visually appealing course that takes you through green fields, woods, moderately hilly terrain and offers a couple of lake views, making for a pleasant experience with nature... if you can stay off of the trees.
• Memorable holes: Starts off with the longest hole on the course where you can really let loose right off the bat. Sig Hole 21 plays over/around a large wetland bowl that will make you think twice. There were some other interesting holes, and although I can't recall their numbers, Sandy Creek keeps you engaged the entire round. Fun to play and challenging at the same time.
• Routing/navigation, I had a guide and was enjoying their company more so than paying attention to where the next tee was. The course takes you to several different sections of the park, and you'll have to cross the park road a few times to get from one section to another. While I don't recall any walks that seemed counter intuitive or unusually long, I can see how the uninitiated might not know where to proceed at these crossings. Follow the map, look for the signs... you should be OK.
Cons: Hole 10 plays near the tennis court and close to a park road. While I wouldn't say it's a glaring design flaw or major concern, unlike pedestrian traffic (likely to pass safely out of the way in 30 seconds or so), tennis players are right where they're supposed to be, aren't going anywhere, and probably aren't listening for people yelling "FORE!" Caution and common sense should avoid any issues, but I have to question routing a hole that can bring such an obstacle into play. Other than that, most holes play well away from non-DG traffic.
•Tee signs don't indicate the current pin position - be prepared to walk a few fairways.
• I spotted quite a few hairy Poison Ivy vines - beware.
• Hole 8 has been removed and the subsequent holes haven't been renumbered.
• Tons of leaves in the woods during fall/winter can make finding even good shots time-consuming: stock your bag accordingly if possible. Listed more as a warning than a con.
Other Thoughts: Sandy Creek is a great course, a fun round and offers something for everyone - worthy of consideration if you're visiting the area.

The wooded holes all come one after another toward the end of the round (in a somewhat unrelenting fashion), before finally concluding with an open hole, rather than being interspersed with more open holes. If that seems a bit overwhelming (or monotonous), you can easily park near holes 14, 19, or 21 and start with a few holes in the woods, saving the more open holes (1-9) for the middle of your round, then finishing up back in the woods... the order you read the chapters in can make big difference. I like courses that make it easy to start at several different points - also nice for leagues, tournies or heavy casual traffic.

I can't complain about the $3 fee ($2 to enter + $1 for DG) as the course seems well maintained.

Some claim the course is too tight/too difficult. I'm an 850'ish rated player. I played the blues and got shredded; but the blues are supposed to be challenging for Advanced players - I was in over my head. The red, white and blue tees were quite well suited to Rec, Int, and Adv skill levels. If you choose to spar with heavyweights, don't complain if you get KO'd... jump over to white or red on holes that look more intimidating to you if that's what makes the round more enjoyable.

Sandy Creek may be more difficult than some courses, but all the tees give you a fair target and I saw nothing that seemed to draw upon luck more than skill. That said, I'm sure recovering from bad shots is a lot tougher in spring and summer - to be expected on any well wooded course.

I hemmed and hawed between 3.5 and 4, but liked the variety and elevation enough to say it's closer to excellent than very good.

Challenging Course

5+    10/11/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: umeshc
Pros: 1. This is my home course and I love almost all holes, except some.
2. Good concrete tee pads on all holes with sign. First 10 holes are decent.
3. Multiple tee pads and pin position.
4. Now they have started to mow grasses frequently than they used to be.
5. Good mix of open fairways and woody holes
Cons: 1. Cost to play even after taking $2 for entrance. The cost should go to the improvement of disc golf course but it doesn't seems it is going for disc golf. If my $1 per visit goes just for mowing than where does my $2 goes. At least benches could be placed in each tee pad area that would make me think that my money is well utilized.
2. There are some trees unnecessarily kept in the middle of the fairway. At least one or two trees needs to be cut down in hole number 13, 15, and 16. The skinny tree in hole number 15 from white tee is just so much annoying even though the hole still needs a great technical shot with a danger of death roll at the end.
3. Hole number 8 is missing and it needs to replaced.
4. Multiple placement of pins is annoying sometimes; for example, hole 1, is it par 3 or 4 or 5? I know it is a legit par 3 for pin A and B, but I am confused with pin C, it doesn't seems like 830 ft from the blue tee. Everybody seems to be taking pin c as par 4 but according to sign, it is par 5.
Other Thoughts: It is a good but very challenging course, especially the last 11 holes. Multiple tee pad is definitely a plus which gives opportunity to every level of players. There are a lot of other activities you can do in your visit.

Course has potential...

1    9/13/2013   9/21/2013
Review By: parks22
Pros: Diverse course with a good range of open and wooded holes, elevation, and obstacles. Decent course considering not many in the Athens area.
Cons: Poison oak, and poison ivy very bad! This course has potential to be a great course but I think needs a little maintenance work. Some holes are heavily wooded in which one has to cross their fingers not to slam a disc into a tree.
Other Thoughts: Don't think you should have to pay for this course. Still worth checking out if you're in the area but I recommend watching out for the spider webs and poison oak!

Best Course in the Athens Area

5+    7/10/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: hallroyal
Pros: Great layout of course from super challenging to interesting and technical! Great concrete tee pads on (almost) all holes. Clean and beautiful/ well kept fairways and woods, except for poison ivy. Well thought out course with different pin positions and on almost all holes three different tee pads.
Cons: Some of the signage is ambiguous and wrong. Hole 8 has been missing for at least three years! Some holes are longer pars in certain tee positions but doesn't say if that is the same for each tee pad. In my experience pay to play courses have benches throughout course and are on top of poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: I don't understand why it costs the disc golf players extra when the lake users, trail users, and all other park services cost less. That extra money should go back into the course and in disc golf programs at Sandy Creek, in my opinion.

< Prev 1 2 3