Athens, GA
Sandy Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #18 (Taken 12/2009)
3 / 220ft.   3 / 275ft.   3 / 345ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Red Tee

Cool course, bro.

1    4/8/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: Subicon
Pros: This course was well-maintained and in good shape. It has concrete tee pads on every hole for all level of players instead of just for the pro/blue tees. The majority of the holes are easy to navigate. The first nine holes would be awesome for a lefty.
Cons: The course map leaves a lot to be desired. It caused more confusion than anything, but thankfully by hole three, there were plenty of signs pointing to the next tee. Most of the first nine holes go to the right, so if you're right handed, bring an understable disc.

I'm fairly new to disc golfing (been playing 11 months), and thus I am still acquiring a taste for technical courses. At my current level of play, it would be impossible for me to get close to par on this course. The majority of the holes are through the woods and very long. Maybe I should have played from the red tees, because my score dropped like a rock once I was in the woods. I have played other technical courses, but this is definitely the hardest so far. This course is just not meant for newbies.
Other Thoughts: I know I will probably get a lot of people rating my review as "not helpful", but whatever. This course was just too hard for me from the blue tees.

My "Go To" Course

5+    3/27/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: ProOffense
This review was updated on 4/9/2010
Pros: I play this course close to 3 or 4 times a month. The greatest thing about this course is the ease of play. The holes are very accurately marked and finding the next hole is very easy. I would still advise printing or getting a map and score card at the front office. The last five holes are like going to your favorite concert and getting a five song encore after the first show! How can you hate a 23 hole course? The course challenges you to have and use your whole arsenal of skill shots. This is a great course to play with friends.
Cons: Well... seeing how i play this course so frequently, it has developed into my favorite area course. Somone who has never played it will probably find the "Pay to Play" an insult to disc golf. It's not expensive and the course is well manicured and the park needs to gain some sort of profit to keep the course cut and clean. Just bite your tounge and you will come out enjoying the experience. Also, The last 11 holes are wooded. I don't mean, hey lets go chill by that tree, man. I mean, the woods have a tendency to eat multiple discs at a time. A glutten for flying plastic. Some areas are WAY too tight, while other spots make you split two trees five feet apart, just to hit the fairway. All and all, nothing to get your panties in a wad, but if you think the Disc Gods frown apon you in the woods and wonder why the lumber company doesn't pay you for all the trees you cut down, you will be overly frustrated. Last, make sure you check the weather on the day your plannin on going. It can get real windy on the open part of the course, and when it does, your hyzer will have been injected with SUPER ROIDS! Kiss it good by if your near the numerous woods.
Other Thoughts: Ok... this is my hometown course. If you play this course and don't enjoy your time in this beautiful park, email me and I will renounce my remarks.

Sandy Creek

1    0/0/0000   9/13/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: Wow, what a course, a full 23 holes of pure disc golf fun. I hate to overuse the term "good mix" but how else could I possible explain this course? It started with some open holes with generous obstacles and then introduced you to the woods and some really great holes. There is a great amount of land used with plenty of elevation changes and the designers seemed to use it perfectly. You will enjoy some lake views on a couple of the holes too. The course seems to be maintained nicely and the grass seems to cut often.

You will find an assortment of shot types needed to score well. You will generally see a little bit of everything disc golf has to offer and then some. Difficulty, beauty, frustration, easiness, fun, tiredness, long shots, short shots, blind shots, Hyzers shots, anhyzer shots, finesse shots, distance, and accuracy. You will find that all are here. While redundant I list them out individually to make a point. They really are all here. You will also find a wide assortment of distances as well. The longer holes generally offer more difficulty while the shorter holes seem to ask for accuracy and good placement. There are three tee pads for the majority of the course with only a few holes that have the blue and white tees sharing the pad. The red pads are relatively short. They are a great choice for the novice/junior player. It is really nice that the course caterers to players of all skill levels. There are also multiple basket locations and so you can expect some variations as well.

The course itself is in a clean and safe park. Trash is almost non existent. There is ample parking, clean restrooms, and a water fountain in the welcome center. The folks in the security shack at the entrance to the park were very friendly and seemed eager to answer my questions. They handed me a score card with map printed on the back and that was very helpful.

Concrete tees pads are here and they are roomy and in great shape. The tee signs are also in good shape and are very informative. They map out the hole, show the tee pads and baskets, and lastly show the distances and par.
Cons: There are no indications of pin placements and it is a little distracting. It requires a walk down the fairway on some of the holes to find out where the pin is set. There are also some areas that are tough to navigate without a map on your first time out. Be sure to grab a map.

I would like to see some more benches, trashcans, etc. Also it will cost you a few bucks to play but it is worth it.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play if you are in the area. In my opinion this is one of the top courses in the metro Atlanta area in terms of variety, difficulty, and challenge. With the three tee pads at varied lengths and difficulty, players at all levels should be able to have a good time. Enjoy!

Quiet Park in the Countryside

2-4    8/4/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Scenic, quiet park in the countryside that will challenge all of your game. The park is well maintained and though you pay $3, you get a nice 23 hole gem in an area sadly lacking of courses. I really like the multiple teepads and the wonderful signage. Really easy to find your way around. The layout is trees and field through the first 11, then sends you into thick woods for the latter half.
Cons: Though I really enjoy the course, a couple of the holes on the front nine are too open (7,8,23) , and a few on the back are almost too narrow for their length, leaving no room for any kind of flex shot (to give the distance you need to get par). A few holes in the woods seem like repeats of each other (the shorter ones). Navigation is tough finding hole 9 and 23, perhaps a "next tee" sign could be placed on these.
Other Thoughts: Kudos that they have posted some par 4's and required the golfer to use effective placement in order to achieve par instead of using length alone to bump up the par

so glad i played this course

1    8/23/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: 3monsterboys
Pros: this course is a well thought out course. nice open shots as well as some pretty technical wooded shots. when i was playing i felt this course was a mix between alexander park and east roswell. the tee pads are big so you have a bit of room for foot work. 23 holes, need i say more!
Cons: ant hills! my disc was sitting on a few hills durring our round. fatigue, i love playing dg but after a round of 23 i was pretty much done.
Other Thoughts: really fun course! all the holes have there own special view. i love hole 11 probably my favorite hole i've played yet (i just love the water).

Great Crouse

5+    7/1/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: Alan.D
Pros: -Multiple tee pads and pin locations
-A wide variety of shots required
-You will see very few holes the same
-Very good use of land
-In and out of woods
-Multiple approaches to almost all holes
-Clean for the most part
Cons: -It is still hard enough from the Red tees as to shy away new players.
-Long course, even though most of it is in woods, it will fatigue you.
-No benches or water fountains (didn't effect my score but others may find it off putting)
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I have played. Holes make you think about your approach, and can make different approaches on most holes. Hard enough for anyone, while different tees makes it playable for most players. Bring water no matter what time of year, you will need it.

tons of fun

5+    4/19/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: tookiebird
Pros: shot variety is great between the trees and elevation changes. a long course--23 holes. about half open field and half wooded. very well-maintained with ample facilities and trash cans. this course is just tons of fun.
Cons: anthills.
Other Thoughts: definitely worth a detour if you're in the area. small fee to play, but you can see that they use it well.

Ant Hill City!

1    4/4/2009   4/4/2009
Review By: Nightcrawlerdcl
Pros: Great variety of wide open, narrow, wooded, and grassy holes. You sometimes have to play around a few unnatural obstacles as well, which adds a challenge.
Naturally, the added tee boxes help those with limited experience.

The scorecard and map was handy at times, although it still took me a while to figure out the course flow.

I also had a very favorable round, except for hole 21.
Cons: Ant hills!

In all of the wide open holes (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 23) there are tons of ant hills all over the place, including one at the base of the basket, and a couple bordering the tee boxes.

Hole 21 was a huge pain.

Especially in the woods, the holes start to overlap. I actually wound up throwing at the wrong basket on one hole. That hurt my score!

More benches and trash cans would be helpful. The course was quite clean, for the most part, but particularly due to the course length, more rest areas would be a huge help.
Other Thoughts: Being only the second course I have ever played, I don't have much with which to compare it.

I decided to take the challenge and use the blue tees!

Seeing as how I had a large number of near miss, "no way" lucky shots, I couldn't complain, even when I missed several putts on the front nine.

23 holes is an unusual number, but you will need to stay focused. Fatigue will definitely be a factor when playing this course, and some of the later wooded holes are not forgiving. (Yes, I'm talking about you, hole 21!)

2-4    3/8/2009   3/10/2009
Review By: Sea Bass
Pros: -Teepads. The pads are huge, cement, and very well thought out.Each pad provides the correct amount of difficulty for the level of player that it was intended for.Shorts are great for families and beginners, middles are tough but not overwhelming, and the longs should challenge just about anyone.

-Fairways are fair. If you throw the correct shot you will be rewarded, poor shots will be punished.

-Great park support. I played here a week after death snow 09' in athens. It looked like a few holes had been hit by some large branch loss (11) and it was already in the process of being removed.

-Easy to follow.In the open its obvious where to go next and there are pointers in the woods.Get the scorecard at the gate.There is a good map on the back that will help with the 2 confusing spots.

-Overall great design.This course uses the land provided to the fullest.All of your shots will be tested, and not much luck will come into play.A true test of skill.

-Fun to play.Always the most important for me.
Cons: -I would like to see some benches and trash cans.More of a pet peeve then anything.

-Signs are all on long pads.On most holes you will walk by them if you are playing the shorter pads.Distances and pin positions seem well marked, But if you are playing here for the first time you will have to walk up to spot the pin on a few holes.

-Hole 8's basket is too close to a building and a garden for my taste.

-I have seen people fishing right behind 11's basket.I'm not a local here, so I dont know if it happens often.

-I can see people getting confused finding 9, 22, and 23's tee but I never had a problem.Course flow is great and the scorecard map is excellent.
Other Thoughts: The last time I played here I played with my friend who has only been playing for 2 months, at the very short herman michael course nearby.We played the middle tees.I felt challenged and grinded out a 1 under (54 par....with 5 bogies) and he was not overwhelmed and shot right about what he should (mid to upper 60's) for his skill.In the past when I have played the longs I felt that they certainly humbled me, and should challenge most players.However, it would not shock me to see some of the better open division players put up some very low scores.The fact that all skill levels are challenged, but feel the chance to shoot well when their game is on, is a sure sign of a great course to me.

EDIT-I just realised that in the above paragraph I called par 54.What I meant is All par 3's.That put me at 68 for 23 holes, with my friend most likely being in the 12-15 over range. Sorry about that.

Dont worry about the cons here, this is a can't miss course if you are in the area.Awesome design, fun for all skill levels, this course has it all.I will definitely play here whenever I am in athens and I recommend that you do too.

Love that guys hat in the pictures......

The Real Deal

1    1/28/2009   1/30/2009
Review By: hooboy
This review was updated on 2/17/2009
Pros: This course is the real deal. You will need all your shots, and you will get a real workout. Three sets of all cement tee pads, and three pin positions per hole (also a con - fusing). Course is basically two distinct 11's. First 11, relatively open, with good use of terrain changes, and the trees / obstructions available. Second 11 is heavily wooded, though with decent fairway pathways, i.e its fair. Elevation changes, lots of walking, you definitely feel "on your own" in these woods. Last hole, 23 is an open bomber. This course is a great challenge, and a real workout. Locals are friendly, guy came out of the guard shack to direct me from 8 to 9 (across the road). Wooded holes are relatively well marked, having a map is a real plus.
Cons: I don't like the three basket locations. Combined with three tee pads you have up to 9 possible combinations. I could rarely tell which pin I was shooting to, and/or I had to walk half the hole to figure it out. First 8 holes somewhat mingle with rest of park / sheds / roads, etc. Hole map / distance / par is only at back tee, sometimes a long walk back. Course can be confusing to navigate, be sure and get a map from the guard house. Some long walks between holes. With 23 holes, elevation changes, long walks between holes, bring water. You'll be tired when you're done. This is not a quick play. Park is a bit out of the way, north of Athens.
Other Thoughts: Cons aside, I loved the layout, and the workout. If this were just a little better marked, and more compact I'd go 4.5. Here's where I got lost - Number 9 is across road from 8 (directly behind number 1 tee), 11 tee is left of ten basket at the end of the parking lot. To get from 21 to 22 you walk right by 13 tee (I stopped to play it, and then had a deja vu). Number 11 is a beautiful throw down to the edge of a lake. This is a really good course, but be ready to walk.