Layout Extinct

Mixed bag

5+    10/17/2009   12/25/2009
Review By: Gator
This review was updated on 1/17/2010
Pros: It has some good length to the course but also some shorter technical holes. The course plays out in the open and in the woods in a nice mix. There is a lot of risk reward on this course which is what makes it fun enough to keep playing over time.
Cons: No cement teepads (should be fixed in 2010). No tee signs, so confusion ensues. With out tee signs this course is extremely hard to navigate at times.
Other Thoughts: Sense the course layout is so hard to figure out with out help I'll try and write down instructions. From hole 1 walk back 150' - 175' and towards the tree's where the tee is set inside the tree line. The next place that is confusing is getting from hole 4 to 5. Follow the path from 4's basket out into the field. 5's teepad is about 130' into the middle of the field slightly to the right of where you came out of the woods from 4. Hole 5 itself plays roughly 300' in the field and then goes into the woods on the left side right after the willow. The basket can be seen 150' in the woods once you get to the tree line. Follow the path past the basket to hole 6. Hole 6 plays across the field and turns right at the end when you get back into the other tree line. Hole 7 plays up and back across the field you just crossed on 6. Hole 8's tee is back across the field near where you came out on 7. Hole 8 plays along the tree line the hole way with a hard dog leg left at the end. Hole 9's tee is within 50' of 8's basket and shoots down and over a small stream right before the green. After your done with 9 walk to the right along the path and then up and left along the dirt path. After playing 9 walk back along the path to the right of the basket and out into the field. 10's tee is 60' out in the field and slighty to the right. Hole 11's tee is in the same direction as hole 10, right along side the tall grass and tree. For hole 13 walk towards the back right corner of the field, the tee is along the tree line. Holes 13,14, and 15 all play closely along the tree line. Walk along the path to the tee for hole 16 that plays along a different tree line. After 16 walk into the tree line and follow the path to 17. After 17 cross the bridge and go left, along the slope to the right is a steep little path. Once your up the path and into the field 18's tee is 40' away and a little to the left.

If you have any questions you can go to GRDGC.ORG post on those forums or pm Gator if you want more help or someone to show you around.

Beautiful and Vicious

5+    11/26/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: WillACarpenter
Pros: The variety of holes at Parma is just fantastic. There are long open holes, wooded tunnel shots, shots that start with elevation changes, some that end with elevation changes...one that starts on a hill, drops off 30 feet almost instantly...and climbs back up the other side a few hundred feet away.

There are signature holes on 2, 9, 10, and 17..at LEAST.

The entire park you're playing around is simply breathtaking and my mother loves to come keep score with us just to walk around the pretty park.

There is room for every type of player here, technical holes, left turns, right turns, roller opportunities, long open holes...you name it.

This park is VERY well maintained. The grass is always neatly groomed, there's hardly any garbage, there's a port-a-potty near hole one for DGers to use..just a great park.

Also there are multiple tee lengths!

This course is on it's way to becoming the best in Rochester.
Cons: Tee pads are currently VERY HARD to find. I highly suggest you BRING A MAP. There is a wonderful one supplied on this website, it's how I got through my first round here.

If you're like a guide, feel free to send me an email through the guide function, I would be glad to play a round with you.

Also there is very little signage to speak of on this course.
Other Thoughts: I won't call it a negative, but this course is HARD. This course doesn't seem hard, but it just beats you down over a round. This isn't a PROBLEM, it just might hurt your ego the first time you play.

With AM worlds coming to Rochester in 2011 this course will be at 4.5 probably by the end of 2010. Cement tee pads are going to be installed, and signs posted. Making this course easier to navigate for new players and in my opinion more fun with the new tee pads!

I highly suggest if you're ever in the area that you check out Parma. You won't be disappointed!

could be phenomenal

5+    7/30/2009   11/24/2009
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/17/2010
Pros: amazing terrain for disc golf and great design
great variety of hole types and shots
even mix of right & left holes
variety of distance but lots of longer holes
big open bombs (1,5,11,12), tight wooded technical (3,4,10,17), open fairways with tree lines (8,13,14,15,18), blind baskets (4,5,6,7,8,14,16) and 2 different water hazards (pond on 2, creek on 9,17)
supposed to have 3 tee levels
a few holes that make good use of the very limited elevation (6,7,9,10,18)
plenty of parking
porta-johns and trash cans at course entrance
well manicured, grass regularly cut
Cons: no signs
no concrete tees
no map at entrance
very few navigational aids
tees difficult to locate and in many places are unmarked, especially the am and rec tees

easy to miss the VFW driveway from the street, the turn comes up fast. know your directions to the course.
Other Thoughts: If course were rated only on golf and not on amenities then this course would be a 4.5+ rating. The course is awesome and a lot of fun to play. It is long and challenging but totally worth it. The plot of land is large and the design ingeniously weaves around two long strips of open field lined with trees and thick brush around and between them. Some holes follow the open lines, some go through the woods, some throw from the open into the woods and vice versa, one throws out the woods across the open space and back into the trees to a dogleg right to the green. Just a great amount of variety and different kinds of lines with a gorgeous, isolated outdoors feel.

This course would benefit GREATLY from just a little bit of investment into signage and navigational aids. I don't mind the dirt tees (except for a few that have a badly placed stump) but there is not much excuse for no tee signs. A sign at the entrance with a map would be great too.

This is Rochester's hidden but uncut gem. You should definitely try to make it here. Ellison is a nice open course, Basil a great wooded one and Baker Farm is long and challenging. But this is the one that has it all.

If you've never played this course and are not being shown around by a local, print the map and still expect to have difficulty the first time out. The best thing to do is to try and play with someone who knows the course. If not, you'll need a map and still will have to do a lot of scouting. I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't have a map.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

wow long challenging

1    9/19/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: NIBSTOOLS
Pros: terrific layout bring your long discs! Some wooded some wide open. Nice mix.
Cons: some hole have crazy difficulty especially from the long tees. Would be tough to follow the first time without someone who knows the course.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18's basket was broken at the time not sure if it is fixed yet

Over hyped

1    11/13/2009   11/13/2009
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 12/16/2009
Pros: Neat course. Hole 2 has a pucker shot over a pond of about 250 ft. I really liked the forced thumber/tomahawk throw on hole 7. I would consider 9 as the signature hole from hill to hill through woods. There are a lot of open shots for rollers and long bombs. Grass is well mowed and maintained.
Cons: 2 of us could not find 4 or 5 tee pads. There is no signage what so ever to tell you where the next hole is (well actually there were 3-4 arrows) or signage to tell you what the hole shape or distance was. The pads were dirt and the markers were below grass level so you just couldnt find them. Even gauntlet holes need to have a "fair"way. Hole 5 was just throwing into a bank of trees with no decernable shot purpose. I never found the tee box for that hole anyways but I did see where trees were hit. Who ever worked on the course did not take the time cut trees to ground so all over the place there are 6-8" punji stakes that trip you or turn ankles if you aren't constantly vigillant. There are a bunch of dead trees that could be dangerous to disc golfers on a windy day. As I mentioned we didn't find some of the pads but I think that some of the tee's and greens and fairways were a little close to each other.
Other Thoughts: I created this review by comparing this course to level 2-5 courses that I have played from Seattle to San Antonio to Charlotte and all along the north east coast.
I was hoping to hit 4 courses in 1 day on my trip to Rochester but the time taken to find tees and baskets here took too much time. A course that has uneven dirt pads, no signage, and no trash cans CANNOT be rated a 4. This course would be a 2-3 in any decent disc golf area. I enjoyed parts of this course but I think the previous reviewers have to travel and play real maintained courses and give a fair review. I think if you know this course you could probably rate it a 2.5-3 but courses shouldnt be reviewed based on the secret knowledge of local players. What would this course rate if it had tee pads and signs; a 6 based on previous reviews?
I saw a review as a 5. Just look at the review rules " Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way" I could spend 400 hours improving this course. It would take 2 minutes per sign to draw the hole with yardage on a small piece of white 1x6 wit ha Sharpie. 18' of board and nails would cost under $10. I don't know why the Rochester club doesn't work on these things. Simple changes could easily upgrade this course to a 3 maybe 3.5.

Top notch, but confusing...

5+    8/19/2008   7/19/2009
Review By: RocCityDiscer
Pros: Developed on great terrain for disc golf. This course has everything. Water, some elevation, woods, and open fields. This forces you to be able to play all types of technical shots, and have a big arm for the open holes.
Course stays open all year for the hardcore discer who likes winter golf.
Cons: Tee boxes not well marked nor is the direction to the next tee. Very long walk, takes about 2.5 hrs to play. Wish they had made the layout in two nine hole loops instead of an out and back design. Course can get muddy in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Some holes just don't seem to make sense the first time you play and take some getting used to.

Great course, bring a map!

5+    6/1/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: ScottMunFrigginro
Pros: Course is well layed out, makes you tee from every possible angle, whether it be uphill, downhill, over a valley, sweeping right, sweeping left. Good use of woods and pond.
Cons: Without a map me and a friend about pulled our hair out looking for hole 16 basket until we finally gave up and tee'd off from a random spot at hole 17. Tee's are poorly marked, so you may be left sweeping the field with your head down looking for the markers.
Other Thoughts: I happen to really like this course. When he head out to hit the north western Rochester courses this is pretty much the main focus of our day. Beautiful course, nice use of obstacles. Great course to indulge in JOOSE!!

Pretty nice course...but wet

2-4    6/22/2009   6/18/2009
Review By: InternationalLog
This review was updated on 6/24/2009
Pros: I loved this course. Long fairways, inventive hills and woods, and challenging pin placement produces an enjoyable disc golf experience.
I rated it a 4 based on what I predict a play with nicer weather would be like. I played in terrible rain and I still had one of my best disc golf experiences to date.

Cons: This course needs better markers for the different tees. I wasted half of my time looking around for the next tee. It would be nice if they put some pegs in the ground that stuck out of the grass, even if they have to remove them before mowing the grass.
It was quite rainy when I went to play, so I had some difficulties going up the hill at hole 7 (the hill path was a mud slick). It would be really easy to just put in some wood supports on the hill so that it can be easily walked up.

*Update: I went back for another round, and it wasn't raining. After going through the full 18, I feel that some of the holes are in need of maintenance. I don't mind that trees are present, as they are usually well done to add to the challenge, but there is no challenge in having a quagmire of brush to find your disc in. I am of the mind that the ground should be clear, and the obstacles should be in the air...I mean, nobody likes to lose discs.
Other Thoughts: It was really nice to get out on longer fairways (i.e. Hole 5). It gave me the opportunity to really chuck some discs without needing the precision of navigating through trees.

I think im being nice

5+    6/6/2009   6/6/2009
Review By: movieguy84
Pros: This is both and in ano out of the woods course with open fairways and a great layout. The wooded holes have enough room to drive and over all feel of a different course on every hole.
Cons: there are no signs for this course what so ever and the tee boxes are hard to find on some holes because the tee is just in the middle of the feild.

It's good, really

1    5/2/2009   5/3/2009
Review By: Nerdboy
Pros: The design of this course stands out to me. Its creaters should be congratulated for making a very challenging course. It has many variables you'd expect a great dg course to have, ie: elevation change, open mowed fairways, and tight wooded fairways. The scenery was beautiful here on such a bright sunny afternoon.
Cons: I noticed right away the breeze off the lake as I'd played 2 other Rochester area courses the same day. Also, without a map our outing wouldn't have happened. As it was, I'd say we got lost 3 times even having the map. Signage is at a bare minimum here. Drainage is also a problem, especially on 3. Some Tee pads are just grass/dirt with yellow bricks on the ground. These can be hard to see, especially so if the grass gets taller I expect. It'd be nice to know the distances, and also if there were several tee positions, (i honestly can't remember if there were.) Benches and bathrooms weren't present. Okay, so here's my number one gripe/concern with this course: check out the summer photos of the underbrush-chances are you're going to say goodbye to some plastic here folks. Either in the pond on 2 or in the forest on 3 & 4, or in the back, where it's a dense forest with a bog, or in the waist high field on (11?) It's not like losing a golf ball.
Other Thoughts: My score was awful, but I didn't care because Parma will make you better. Now that I know the danger areas, and have a fuzzy about where to go, I'll definitely be back with my black socks on.