Lancaster, OH
Flat Rocks DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 10/2010)

Hill Of a Course

2-4    11/21/2010   11/22/2010
Review By: A.Mutt
Pros: + Excellent Variety of Holes
+ Lots and Lots of Changing Elevation
+ Informative and Nice Looking Signs
+ Well Maintained All Around
Cons: - Clunky DB-5 Baskets
Other Thoughts: I made the trip down for the first time on Saturday and went back again on Sunday. I think that there says a lot. The scenic Flat Rocks is a fun and varied course that asks you to deal with significant elevation changes constantly. It has a real nice balance of wooded and open holes and a wide variety of lines to shape.

I enjoyed the flow of the holes, especially how it all ends on a fun to throw on hole 18. Its a 300' hole where after about 230' it slopes down steeply enough that you can't see the basket on the side of the hill. The open holes are generally a lot of fun to tee off on with uphill, downhill, and across valleys type of shots and on many the elevation change is severe enough that the shot is blind. The wooded holes on the other hand are pretty tight and require a good control and finesse game. On most of these there are multiple lines to choose from, but all have little room for error. Throw elevation in to the mix on these and you have holes sub 300' with significant challenge to them. The fairways are all nicely mowed and defined, Hole 11 even has a huge basket shape mowed into the center.

The tees are all rubber mats, and there are brooms by many of them. It was my first time using this kind of tee and they seemed just fine, I've heard they can get slippy when wet but it was mostly dry when I was there and they seemed to provide adequate traction to me. The signs were all in good condition, looked nice and provided all the necessary information, can't ask for much more. One thing that bugs me is going to a course and having a lot of the benches broken or non existent. Not a problem here, with plenty of cool looking log benches. The baskets here work but I think they are less than desirable. The DB-5s are very heavy duty with a very tall tray and heavier than normal chains. They just felt kind of clunky to putt on and the make-able target seemed smaller. Some of them seemed to be on short poles and thus closer to the ground. They just don't feel like what I'm used to and I'm sure most people are used to putting on. They do catch good solid putts though and in my mind they only detract a little from the fun and do add to the challenge.

Overall I really appreciated what this course offered up in the way of challenge and fun to play. Definitely glad I made the trip down there finally.

Great course

5+    10/29/2010   10/30/2010
Review By: Flip55
This review was updated on 11/2/2010
Pros: Good shot mix(open,woods,dogleg left, dogleg right)
decent amount of elevation change
great community of golfers
park is almost solely used for disc
nice rubber tees
benches on almost every hole +1!
Cons: baskets are not uniform
depending on the day, can be very crowded
course could be hard to find if youre not from the area
Other Thoughts: This course is my home course so my review might be a little biased but ill try to make it objective. The best thing about this course is that it will challenge your shot making ability without destroying your soul. The course is broken up by the mix of wooded and open holes. Sometimes you have days when it seems like you've hit 70% of the trees on a hole but then you always get a nice open hole right after that to breath easy on. If you find the course too easy then feel free to throw from the "Hardrocks" which almost every hole has. I've only played a few hole from them so I cant speak much about it. No pro shop as it is in a city park but the Shell Gas station down the hill on the corner of Fair and High has a decent selection of discs plus drinks and food. Good course, go play it!

5+    10/27/2010   10/27/2010
Review By: Django
This review was updated on 8/27/2012
Pros: open
very playable
scenic
lots of chances to open up shots
some technical aspects
love the tees
well groomed
Cons: no real trouble areas
baskets suck
Other Thoughts: this couse is home when im not playing the peaks. love the scrambles on wednesdays

Flat Rocks DGC

1    10/15/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: JoseCafe704
Pros: Very well maintained course. Usually when I encounter courses that have actual mowed fairways, as in ball golf, I find they're not very condusive to play, as you need to be more concerned with what your disc encounters in flight, more so than where it lands. With Flat Rocks though, there are often several fairway (heizer, anheizer and straight) paths mowed to accommodate all throwing styles. That is something I have yet to see anywhere else. Another thing I don't see too often is the nice fact that the park seems to exist solely for disc golf, which eliminates the problem of multiple uses that you see in most parks...Everyone there is doing the same thing you are. The old conveyor belt rubber tee pads are awesome. You couldn't slip on one of those if you tried! Just about every hole has some sort of obstacle or flight path that will reward good shots, while penalizing poor shots. Good mix of wooded and open holes as well.
Cons: Difficult to get to the park. Lancaster isn't always the most fun place to drive in as is, let alone well off the beaten path that is the old Route 33. A few of the "Hard Rocks" tees seem to have extremely difficult placement...Like they should be entitled "Impossible Rocks" instead. I had to avoid a few of these.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played. If I didn't live so far away, I'd play this one a lot more often. A great course to hone your skills! Highly recommend this course!

Fun For The Family

1    8/7/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: Ben17
Pros: This is a very nice course that the whole family can enjoy. First with the pros where better to began than the practice pin. Like i always say this lets you get warmed up before you go out there and get started. I really enjoy the practice pin as should you. The big wooden board with all the papers in it was nice. It showed you how to play and how to do many other things. At that wooden sign they had a scorecard, so if you want to keep score you can just grab one of those. On the scorecard they had a map on the back. I used the map at times but you really dont need to. It is nice how the front 9 ends right by the parking lot as does the back 9. So if you need a break in between the two parts you can here. I really liked the rubber tee. It was different, i had never really seen one before until now. You cannot lose your balance or your grip. The sign at the tee was very helpful, but most of the time you could just see the pin from the tee. It is a very well taken care of course. The lawns are nicely cut and very beautiful. On the open fields the long grass is nice so that you are actually aiming at a fairway, instead of having the whole course as a fairway. The park gets a decent amount of people there. This is nice so they know that they have done a good job with the course. There is a broom at the beginning of a couple of holes with thick stuff on the side. It was new for me i had never really seen a broom at the beginning of a hole, but it was helpful. The next tee sign at the bottom of the pin really helps because the course can get a little confusing, but not that bad. I almost forgot to mention the long tee. With this there if you want to be more challenged you can throw from there. Well thats about it for the pros so lets see what the cons have to bring us.
Cons: Well i dont know really where to begin because of the shortage of cons. The one thing that really caught my attention was the pins were kind of cheap. The pins were really short so i doubt that they were regulation size. Also on the pins at the bottom instead of a metal loop they had a steel cable along it. So the pin wasn't very sturdy. I guess on the wooded holes they could cut down some of the tree limbs in the way but its not too bad. If you go into the woods here good luck finding it because they are thick. Also alot of the bushes are sticker bushes, so watch out. Well i cant think of anything else that was bad about this course, so what you see is what you get.
Other Thoughts: Like i said this is a very fun course for the family. While i was playing here i played behind a family the whole time. The even had the little kids out there playing. They looked like they were having the time of there life. So really if your in the area come here and you wont regret it. It was kind of tough to get there going on back roads and stuff but its not too challenging. The entrance is very small so if its your first time coming here look out for that. I would stay out here all day and play if i could. This course will never get boring. On one hole i forget the number but they have a par 5 when it really shouldn't be. I couldn't consider this a con. I actually eagled the hole. So i think that they should mone it to either a par 3 or a par 4. Well thats about ii for me, so i hope that you come here because you wont be disappointed.

Great course

2-4    7/17/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: jcf5083
This review was updated on 12/21/2011
Pros: -Many wooded and open shots.
-Great look, I believe it was hole 10 that was just a long straight par 5 that had a design mowed in the grass along the way.
- Pro and AM tees
- This is the first time I have experienced rubber tees, I enjoyed the grip (although they have been known to be troublesome after rain/snow)
- Good maintenance, even brooms at some tees
- Practice putting has stones with distances on them
-Clever name for the pro tees, "Hardrocks"
-Scorecards on site with a map of the course on back.
- Nice shaded area with bench for a postround siesta
- Locals that I've played with were great!
Cons: -I didn't play on the pro tees, but they came across as EXTREMELY difficult, even for pros. I think there was a par three 250' hole that had a pro tee distance of 600
-No pencils for scorecards, that only affected me because I forgot one :)
- The Lightning DB-5s were very strange, the basket itself is much lower than a regular DisCatcher or Mach.
Other Thoughts: I had a really fun time playing at Flat Rocks DGC, the course design was very well thought out. I also had the pleasure of playing with some great people in their Frosted Flatrocks doubles tournament. The tournament was put on very well with a good player's pack, laid back atmosphere, and a great group of disc golfers in the area. One of my favorite courses in the Buckeye state!

Top Notch

1    5/30/2010   5/30/2010
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: - Beautiful, secluded park
- Well-maintained course
- Well-thought out holes.
- Nice variety of shots
- Friendly locals
- Great tee signs with maps
Cons:
- No water on site
- Pro tees are either natural or not marked, we didn't see them when I was playing.
Other Thoughts: Flat Rocks has been on my wish list for a while, and I'm glad I finally got to play the course. It was a bit of a haul for me (3 hours), but well worth the drive.

Beautifully landscaped rolling hills set the scene for the bulk of the holes on this course, with an interesting choice of wild, tall grass areas used for both aesthetics and course obstacles.

The course weaves into the woods, then back out into the sweeping elevation changes, then dips back into the woods briefly before the back nine wraps up.

The entire course is well-maintained, even down to brooms available at some of the tees. Never saw that before!

The course is not only in a very rural area, but the park itself is even further off the beaten path. Make sure you bring water with you or pick some up while you are still near some of the main highways.

Also note that the course is not indicated on the road, it's within the Keller-Kirn Nature Park (as noted on the "Local Directions" section on the course info page here). The GPS coordinates listed here as of 2010-05-30 were slightly off, but pretty close.

Probably one of my favorite courses in Ohio now, just wish it wasn't so far away from me. Definitely worth a trip if you're considering it, and a must-play if you are anywhere near the area. The best Columbus-area course I've played to date.

Flat Rocks

5+    8/2/2009   3/2/2010
Review By: kyle420420
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: -Great use of the land
-Good mix of open and wooded holes
-Elevation changes
-Well Maintained
-Porta-potty on site
-Plenty of parking
Cons: -Awkward baskets
-No pro shop on site

Other Thoughts: I love this course it is very well takin care of. It is one of my favorit courses in the area. Practice tee. Plenty of parking. Never very crowded. Very clean. I would recomend this course to any one who is in the area.

Has become a favorite

5+    10/24/2009   10/31/2009
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 1/6/2012
Pros: Great mix of shots

Sexy landscaping

Nice elevation changes

Diverse mix of open and wooded holes
Cons: Awkward baskets

Rubber pads can be short
Other Thoughts: This is a fantastic course on beautiful land

This course truly has it all. I use pretty much every disc in my bag here. You will need distance drives, accurate mids, hooks and slices. Some baskets are on sloping greens.

There is a pretty even mix of open and wooded holes. There are a couple more open. But all of them have some added challenge. The open holes deal with elevation changes and various natural hazards. The wooded holes have tight fairways and gorgeous lookouts (you have to venture slightly off course to see the best vista, it is off hole 4, I believe).

It can get pretty windy on some of the open holes. Bring a stable wind driver. You have to shoot over little valleys on a few holes.

The maintenance of this course is also top notch. The fairways are mowed into patterns and pathways. It's very sharp.

One of my Favorites

5+    10/6/2009   10/23/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Lots of Elevation Changes
Good Flow
Well Maintained
Challenging but not Frustrating
Good Shot Variety
Visually Nice
Good use of the land
Cons: I really can't think of any.
Other Thoughts: I like this Course a lot. Probably in the middle of my Ohio Top 10. You go from the field into the woods back into the field, back into the woods again and then you finish up in the open field. I like the mix. Also I'm a big fan of elevation changes and this course has plenty.

It's located in a Public Park and it's well Maintained

It's peaceful and a little out of the way.