New Braunfels, TX
Prince Solms Park Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #6 (Taken 4/2009)

1 2 Next >
 Disappointing Potential

1    7/2/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: TexRex
Pros: Nice location on the Comal river in beautiful and historic New Braunfels.
Cons: First, I'll say there is construction going on in the park and we played with hurricane Alex dropping sporadic rain on us. That being said, the course lacks adequate signage and flows poorly. The course map available here was almost useless, it appears baskets have moved and tee markers disappeared. This course does have potential for some great holes and I hope it evolves once park construction is finished. I will definitely check on it the next time I'm in the area.
Other Thoughts: As is, this is a good course for beginners and to work on your mid/short game, but is frustrating to find the correct layout. Just play it the best you can and have fun.

Builder

5+    6/12/2009   6/12/2009
Review By: mtn_biker17
Pros: Being the builder of the course we tried to make it user friendly. The course is still in the making. I have been only playing a year and when I built this course I made it hard for me. Now that I have gotten better It has gotten easier but still with some hard hole. #1,7, and 8.
Cons: The tubers suck in the summer. but go late evening and its not bad. The rest of the year you have no problem the tubers. We are still trying to get sign up to find your way. Tee box are another thing we would like to get.
Other Thoughts: We are trying to raise money to get tee boxs and signs. We are hoping in the future on getting more land for a 18 hole course. If you need more info are need some body to show you the course email me at mtn_biker17@yahoo.com

About right for the river

1    5/25/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: shawn_l
Pros: This course is as good a job as anyone could do given the space, vegetation, structures, roads, and terrain.

The course is very basic, without being vanilla. So if you're a 400 foot drive kind of guy, work on your midrange and putt here. If you're a newbie, this course will provide all you need.

At the OLD course sign, which is at the entrance to the park and close to the baskets for #, there was a NEW course map, though it had fallen over. Take a look at it to find your way.

Since it's a maintained park, there's no problems with undergrowth. The baskets are very brightly painted, so they're easy to see.

The tee shots on 1, 4, 7, and 8 are interesting. While the others may be boring, the basket placement is really well done on almost every hole.

#9 for instance is tucked into some crepe myrtles. #6 is backed up to a (thankfully shallow!) part of the river. #2 and #4 are backed up to the drive around the park, so if you play the road as OB then it will test you a bit.

If you're an advanced player, challenge yourself to shoot an 18 here. It's possible. If you're an amateur, this is a course where 27 is possible without boring you - you'll be challenged but not overwhelmed! For the novices, they can have fun, try and shoot under 36, and get a good feel for the game.

Parking is plentiful, and there are restrooms just across the bridge over the #6 tee. This IS on the river, of course, so there's plenty to do and see.
Cons: No real useful signs up at the tees as of Memorial Day 09. About 6 of the holes have very short (but brightly painted) markers that are 6 inches tall. For the other three you have to look for the yellow stakes in the ground, which are at every hole.

#6 is a tough tee to find. It's across the street from 5, down the hill, behind the concrete winding bridge people take to cross the river.

People must walk through the park to get to the tubin', so you're going to be interrupted as you play. Holes 1, 2, 4, and 8 are all pedestrian crossing holes when it's busy.

I think this'd be a fun little course if you played it on a non-holiday. So don't let the foot traffic worries keep you away.
Other Thoughts: Some new signs with the info the old signs had would be really great here.

LOOK at the photos on the site here, and make a little sketch of the "updated as of 08" course map on this site. It will save you a bunch of time when you go play.

The one sentence breakdown is this: the course is basic, but not boring. You can have fun playing this course!

Prince Solms

1    4/23/2009   5/6/2009
Review By: zj1002
Pros: In a great location on the river and next to Schiltterbahn(giant amazing waterpark). Float the river, drink a little, and play some disc golf. I can't think of a better way to spend the day and this course allows you to accomplish all that.

Holes 6-8 are definitely "Houck Holes". Not sure which of these holes are his design but they sure feel like his usual stuff. Hole 8 is on hands down one of the hardest holes I have ever played and is a really nice challenge. Unloaded my bag twice on the hole and only got one disc in birdie range.

The tee pads, while dirt, are worn and in present little problems teeing off because they are well worn in.
Cons: Aside from Hole 8 the other holes offer little challenge. You can play the whole course with a putter and midrange and come out under par.

Traffic from pedestrians going to the river delayed my group at times.

A few fairways still overlap at times. The hole locations are poorly marked and we had to follow a local group in order to get started. Hole 9 is not easy to find if you are not familiar with disc golf. I could see people giving up after hole 8 because 9 is back near hole 4 and is poorly marked.
Other Thoughts: The course is great if you just want to have fun while playing disc golf. As previously stated Holes 6-8 will offer the biggest challenge. I still can't get hole #8 out of my head, it has become one of my favorites in the central TX area.

I take disc golf very seriously, but most of my friends are casual about it. They did not like playing with me at the "big" courses but really enjoyed this place because it allowed them to have fun and play well. The New Braunfels area makes for a great day trip as well.

Smack dab in the middle of the action

1    8/9/2007   4/2/2009
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 1/8/2010
Pros: Float the Guadelupe, play some Prince Solms.Haven't been down to New Braunfels since the course was redesigned but looking forward to it.Two holes are long and out in the open I know that much remains the same.The beautiful Comal rivers crystal clear waters running alongside this course made it a memorable experience glad to hear they made this shallow stream more in play.
Cons: The patrons of the Comal overtook the park when I was here,fences tried to keep us from playing,we did anyway.
Other Thoughts: Gotta jump in the river its just that inviting.

1 2 Next >