There Will Be Blood
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: This is a fairly short course that follows a road-width, hiking trail through forest. To call it technical would be a stretch, but there are no completely wide open holes either: just defined fairways that consist of the aforementioned hiking trail.
The holes vary in level of difficult from ace run to impossible shot shapes with most holes falling comfortably in between and only a few at the extremes.
The rough isn't particularly punishing on most holes and missed drives can still result in par with decent trouble shot skills.
Navigation is fairly straightforward. Finding the course was the toughest part. Once you find the sign by the high school's football field (park in the high school parking lot), the rest is easy.
Cons: There are a number of cons:
1) No tee pads and very irregularly surfaced tee areas, some with exposed roots. Fortunately, many fo the holes are short and require virtually no run up. However, some longer holes have very poor footing on the tees. This seems like a new course and, hopefully, concrete tee boxes are in its future. It needs them badly.
2) Course design slavishly follows a hiking trail irrespective of whether discs are capable of flying along its path. This is problematic on 2-3 holes as far as holes just being unfairly bendy, such as 120 degree turns to start out a fairway, followed by long straight stretches.
3) MOSQUITOS! Wear plenty of repellant and move fast. I did and they didn't bother me much. However, the group ahead of me quit due to mosquitos. If you are someone who takes a while to get set, choose your disc carefully, etc., you are screwed on this course. You'll be coughing up mosquitos before you can get your disc off. It's Alaska. They are that bad.
4) Baskets are almost all mounted about a foot too high. Whoever installed the baskets didn't read the directions very well. This is only a minor nit..
5) No amenities. No bathrooms, water, benches, trash cans or anything else on the course or at the start. BYO Everything and make sure you won't need to use the facilities during your round.
Other Thoughts: This is fun course. Pros aren't going to find this course particularly challenging, but beginners may. It falls somewhere in that happy medium. There are only one or two holes where you can air a shot out, and even then you have to hit a reasonable line to do so.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.