Indianapolis, IN
Northwestway Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: phish3460 Hole #14 (Taken 3/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
Safety is secondary on this course

1    8/4/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: Location. It was almost with in walking distance from my hotel. easy to get to from highway.

18 holes, a few with dual concrete pads.

Navigation and flow is passable

Course is a mostly straight up par 3 with about 2-3 legit par 4s

Cons: SO MANY UNSAFE HOLES.
Holes 12 and 13 play over a very busy walking trail. 14 plays over a blind corner which could cause serious injury to walkers. 18 was the worst offender since it required a full power drive straight down the walking trail and along a blind corner.

Course starts out with several straight shots in a row.
Hole 6 is right after hole 2, so it is easy to skip 3 holes.
The 5 tee pad was cracked and nearly unusable.

Several hole play parallel with busy roads. (4, 15, 16, 17, and 18.

7 is one of the worst holes I have ever played. It is a blind dog leg left where you are throwing over trees directly at the parking lot.

old unmarked baskets, some were dented and damaged.

Hole 10 is a filler hole, 160 ft par 2.
Other Thoughts: I played this course at dawn on a weekday and it was still packed. I can not image even attempting this course early saturday or sunday morning. I predict this course will be pulled in the next few years due to walkers complaining about their safety, it truly is that bad.

If you could magically remove the roads and dangerous walking paths this course would still struggle to earn a 3 disc rating.

Circle the Park

1    7/26/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: Gizmotronx
Pros: Easy navigation - just following the trail.
Variety - Distance and line variety for the most part. See Cons for more. Hole 7 I think was pretty cool. Never really played a hole like it.
Layout - Not cramped, no interference with other holes.
At a park with lots of other stuff to do, including a water park.

Cons: Variety - Holes 10 or 11 through 14 or 15 are pretty similar. Just rough on the left and woods on the right. They try to make the holes different, but there is only so much they can do.
Elevation - again, only so much they can do.
Layout - A lot of conflicts with the trail. Also, 15? and 18 are RIGHT next to a major road. Very dangerous.
Other Thoughts: I had a lot of fun playing this course. I'm not in a hurry and don't play for score, so maybe that's the difference from some of the reviews I've read.
Maybe we got lucky, but I played with two brand new players and we didn't lose anything. I could see how some would be nervous about it, but it didn't happen to me.

A solid underrated course

5+    5/27/2013   5/27/2013
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Tees - all Tees are trapezoid shaped concrete tees. Most holes have 1 tee per hole but some: 1,3, 5, 12, 17, and 18 have shorter alternate tees. This course could use about 10-30 more trees on the open holes.

Baskets - very grippy baskets (I believe DGA baskets) that have minimal spit outs. They used to have hole numbers on them but stickers have either faded or fallen off.

Variety - lots of shot variety: short open, long open, open tunnels with woods on either side, open tunnels with tall grass on either side, some holes with blind baskets hidden in middle of brush in a cut green, some elevation. This course has some of the longest holes in the metro Indy area.

Easy to navigate (for the most part) - look at the map. If you follow the walking path this course is easy to navigate. Hole 3 is down the path from hole 2 (tee for 6 is much closer to hole 2 than tee 3). Hole 6 is across the field near the basket of hole 2 (if the tall grass is present follow the grassy path/opening). Hole 8 is around the trees to left past hole 7. Hole 12 is a little backtracking back to the path. For hole 16, follow the path that goes to the left after hole 15.

Multi-Use park - there are restrooms on site (waterpark and near shelters next to hole 8). There is a nice waterpark if you really need it after a round (course is very hot and mostly in open).

Trees - there have been several trees that were planted about 5 years ago. They are finally starting to grow to the point where they prove some shade and add obstacles to open holes.

Challenging - this course is much more challenging than some of the other courses in the city due to their clear cut fairways. On some holes it is hard to save par.

There are a few water hazards but it will not effect seasoned players. Hole 3 has pond 25 feet from basket to left. Holes 9-11 have creek next to drees on left. Holes 13 & 14 have same creek on other side of trees.s

This is a much needed course on a part of town with few courses. Closest one is Avon. Fills gap in empty area near Zionsville or Brownsburg.

Course is fairly easy to get to. From 465 on west side, get off at 71st street and turn right. Take right on Zionsville rd and left on 62nd. Park is on right. From inside 465: take Georgetown to 62nd street and go west. Park is on left.
Cons: Lack of shade. Young trees do not provide shade on most holes. Holes 4, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 14 have plenty of shade.

The walking path - the path isn't necessarily a con but the people walking or riding their bikes on it is. They take no consideration of the disc Golfers around them. In the spring and fall there are several walkers that can add wait time to the course. Overcast days and before 5 are the best times to play this course.

Only 1 basket location per hole. - pin placement never changes which may disappoint some. I feel it helps on some of the blind shots (holes 9 - 12).

All holes should have dual tees instead of just the long ones. It adds that much more variety to the holes.

Soccer: holes 16-18 border soccer fields. During the summer families of soccer players can sit in the fairways causing some of the holes to be unplayable. Some fairways border the fields which can add safety concerns.

Mostly flat - only holes 2, 3, 6, 10, and 15 have minor elevation. The rest is flat.

Lost disc factor - this course has several holes where losing a disc is possible (holes 4 - 15) due to tall grass, dark thick wooded areas, etc. time spent looking for discs can be a buzzkill to some.

Poison Ivy - this thick brush/wooded areas have poison ivy so be careful.x
Other Thoughts: This has always been one of my favorite courses in the city. It is unique and very challenging and it is hard to save par. Shot selection is key here. This course requires the best throws or careful throws.

Due to the lack of shade, bring liquids. If you don't bring a drink, you will probably regret it. this course can become very hot and humid. Bring some bug spray and possibly sanitizer (poison ivy) just to be safe. There is a marsh about 5 minutes from the course at 56th and Georgetown which usually has drinks on sale.

This course is underrated due to the people on the walking path and the young trees on the open holes. Try it for yourself if you are up for the challenge. If you come on a day with little activity at the park, you will more than likely enjoy this course. Once the trees grow more, they will be more of a factor as well.

First Time Playing Here

1    2/24/2013   2/25/2013
Review By: wake911
Pros: -Super easy flow to follow the course, even for first time playing.
-Solid catching older baskets. Sturdy, unlike some other older baskets.
-Good variation in shot selection. Straight, hook left, some tough OB(sidewalks), some wide open holes,.short (150') long (650') I used a lot of discs from my bag, which is fun.
-No Water. I put this as a Pro because i'm tired of not being able to play a casual round without fear of losing a disc. I enjoy the difficulty of water on courses, but sometimes it's nice to come home with all your plastic, even after not playing that great.
-Wide open - Good for big arms to work on distance and big hyzer/anny lines. Good for beginners (no water, basically open)
Cons: - Uninformed walkers. I was followed the entire round by this couple and their dog, since the course follows the path, if you start when a walker does, you are gonna be with them, waiting, annoyed the entire round. Overall there were a BUNCH of walkers on not even a warm day. I was waiting for a good 10 minutes on a couple of holes for the walkers to clear out. I bet this could be trouble in the summer.
- Mismarked distances. It seemed like most holes felt 25' shorter than marked, but then the long ones felt longer than marked, so overall felt off to me.
-Basically wide open. only 4-5 holes really had trees as obstacles, This is the type of course I learned on, so it's fun to come back to one after the current trend of short/tight/technical courses going in. Let the big arms loose sometimes!
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed this course, can't believe I've never played it before. Played the Pro tees, shot well. Enjoyed the difficult OB on a few holes, and the wide openness of the 2 long holes, so I could grip it and rip it.

It does look like it could get crowded with Basketball, Pool, Soccer, etc all in the park.

I will definitely play it again.

Reminds me of Pleasant Run Golf Course

1    12/25/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: My dad and I played this course Christmas day. With no people, the course is actually fun and a decently challenging layout where straight shots are definitely rewarded. I found myself working shots both ways to get to some of the baskets and a few were legitimate Pro Par 4's at least IMO.

Cons: We played the course in late December so finding discs in the bushes was quite easy. I could see how in the other seasons, finding discs could be very challenging.

Since we played the course in late December, we had the park to ourselves. Any other time, the course could literally be unplayable considering most of the holes were right along the walking trail throughout the park. Further, the last hole plays by a soccer field which, when occupied, would render this hole unplayable IMO.

I could easily rate this course a 3.5+ without the people trail factor, but given it's very much in play, I'm guessing you should avoid this course because long waits could be in order. According to my dad and brother-in law who played the course 1 prior fall afternoon, they had to wait several minutes on several holes to wait for walkers and joggers to clear.

Given the thick bushes and tight holes, this is not a beginner friendly course unless you play it in December like I did ;-)
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me of Pleasant run Golf Course ("real" golf) because it could be a safety hazard based on the course layout. Only, it's the walkers in danger, not the disc golfers in this case.

2-4    6/18/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: AdamE
Pros: This course is in a large, multi-use park. The course starts out mostly open, the middle of the course is partly to mostly wooded and the last few holes end in more open spaces.

The course has trapezoidal concrete pads. Some of the longer holes have two tees and there are tee signs at every pad. The baskets are in good condition and catch well.

There is OB in play on nearly every hole if you play the walking path as OB and the OB road comes into play on a few holes as well. About one third of the course is wide open, one third has mature trees to navigate and one third has well defined and dense rough lining one or both sides of the fairway.

There's a good mix of hole length ranging from 150ft to 650ft. Many of the shorter holes have the mature trees or rough to deal, combine that will all the OB and it takes good accurate shots to score well here.

I particularly liked hole 12. From the long it's a tough turnover shot demanding accuracy to keep you out of the rough on the left, but you can't turn it over too much with the OB walking path on the right.
Cons: This is the most dangerous course I've played.

There is only one hole where the very popular walking path doesn't come into play. You are literally throwing over and adjacent to this walking path the entire round and it is an accident waiting to happen considering all the walkers present. I played here at 10:30am on a Monday morning and there were plenty of people already out walking.

Even if you're being careful and wait for all walkers to clear the area (which can take a while), they can still round a corner or emerge from behind tree lines as you throw on holes 7 and 11 putting them in danger.

To make matters worse, holes 16-18 play right next to a soccer field. Thankfully it was not in use when I was here on 6/18/12 but it was the previous time I played here and soccer fields were packed with kids. Due to the extremely close proximity of the fairways and baskets to the soccer field I was forced to skip these holes.

Many of the holes are wide open.

The rough looked quite thick.

The short variety here is lacking a little, holes 10 and 12 (long) are the only holes that force a RHBH turnover shot.
Other Thoughts: I really did enjoy playing this course, but I cannot ignore the dangers when rating it.

This is not a good place for less experienced golfers with the rough and dangers of the walking path. On the other hand, the only challenge for more advanced golfers is to stay in bounds.

Good for newbs and a quick bang

2-4    5/26/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: madcow
Pros: Good for beginners
lots of straight shots
fewer tees by trees and roads than not
easily doable in a short period of time
Cons: the tree line is thick which makes it easy to lose discs once they penetrate it
you play along road ways
a few paths thru the course which means one may need to wait for runners to pass
too easy for average to advanced players
the pro and amature tees are not easily identifiable after the first few holes. Would be nice if they were marked like hole 1 as pro and am.

Nice effort, but very frustrating

5+    8/29/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: burdphil
Pros: - It's in a part of town that doesn't have any other courses
- The grass is mowed reasonably often and the fairways are mostly clean
- It presents a solid challenge for average to above average players
- The concrete tees are good. Wide at the back and then narrower in the front so you can take different approaches. I like that.
Cons: - As many others have said, the fact that the course follows a pedestrian trail is explosively annoying. You will literally spend 5 minutes on every hole waiting for the walkers/joggers to pass through, even on days where the park isn't crowded.
- This course eats discs like mad if you're not insanely accurate and you don't want to dink and dunk on every hole. Holes 3 through 14 all run right along some extremely dense underbrush and/or woods, and if a disc goes in there, you'll spend forever trying to find it. I'm to the point now where I don't even try.
- The course isn't in the best area. I try to keep moving to avoid having crackheads come up to me asking me if I "get down." With the walking path it can be hard to keep moving however, and there have been several times where I've had to stop and patiently explain to some local why I'm throwing my "frisbee" around and that I don't have any money/drugs/whatever on me. Usually they're nice enough, but it can get a little weird.
- This is not an aesthetically pleasing course. You feel like your surviving it and/or battling your way around it rather than enjoying it.
Other Thoughts: I play this course 3 to 4 times a week because it's close to where I work. I can't tell you how much I dislike this course compared to George Washington, Brookside, or even Sahm. That said, I very much appreciate the fact that it exists, and I honestly think the creators did the best they could with what they had to work with. I don't know how I would improve this course... it is what it is I'm afraid. I would say it's worth visiting a time or two if you're not from the immediate area just to say you've played it, but try to do so in the late fall when the underbrush has died off.

IndyDiscGolfers are scared of this course

5+    1/5/2011   1/6/2011
Review By: AceHole10000
Pros: A variety of shots. Some holes have alternate tees. I think that is one of indys best because if you don't hit the fairway on some holes your in trouble. Unlike all of the other indy courses.
Cons: I work thirds and play in the morning. There are alot of walkers during the afternoon and evening. Weekends are hard to get a round in.
Other Thoughts: If you talk to most people in indy they do not like this course. Its because they can't get there pars when they don't hit there fairways. You can miss the fairways at washington, brookside and sahm park and still get your pars.

2-4    9/5/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: maansmit
Pros: -Good variety of hole types requiring different shots
-Challenging
-Variety of hole lengths
Cons: -Heavy pedestrian traffic can be frustrating as you have to time your shots
-Easy to lose discs in the tall grass throughout the middle section of the course

< Prev 1 2 3