Pros: Variety is a term sometimes tossed around when a course has open and woods. This is much more than just open and woods. Like Old Glory there is a touch of the goony golf thrown in to start and finish Hogback but it is so much more. The woods on hogback I find more fun than IDGC. You have the Grotto which has the basket in a cave like rock formation. Some other big canyon like crevices create upshot and roll-away potential like you have never seen. Each hole has a name and not just a number giving a memorable experience.
Cons: A little bit of a walk to start and finish. Since there are 4 courses at Hippo, this one starts a little away from the office.
Other Thoughts: Great combo along with Old Glory for a light, fun day before or after playing the demanding IDGC less than an hour away.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: - More fun, IMO, than the other main course at the Hippodrome complex (Old Glory).
- Fantastic (mostly) wooded course with tight fairways, some elevation changes, and plenty of natural obstacles on what have to be the signature holes on the course: 11 and 12.
- The last few holes open up into a meadow of sorts, giving you relief from the heavily wooded previous holes.
- Hole 11 is a short par 3 played over a deep gully and requires some planning and touch off the tee to keep from ending up 15 feet below the hole.
- Hole 12 is another short par 3 with a slight left to right play into a hidden basket (situated at the base of another deep gully and completely hidden from view on approach). This was by far my favorite hole on the course. You just don't see holes like this very often.
- All of the tee boxes were easy to find, well marked, and signage to and from each hole was easily seen.
- Hole "map" on every tee box.
- Plenty of benches and trash cans throughout the course.
- Great use of the available land.
- Putting was challenging on a few holes, but not intimidating...though hole #10 requires pinpoint precision in order to avoid the gully in the front of the basket or the steep hill behind it.
- The "Big Basket"
Cons: - Not really any cons that I can think of. Thoroughly enjoyed playing this course.
Other Thoughts: Again it should be noted that this is a pay-to-play course...not a positive or negative, but important to know before you get there. Well worth the $5 green fee (which allows you to play as many holes as you can that day).
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.