Kahului, HI
Kahului DGC Share
Uploaded By: weaktit Hole #14 (Taken 2/2015)

Disc golf on Maui!

5+    4/29/2015   5/4/2015
Review By: Bobylon
Pros: Good diversity of shots, there is at least one for any style of throw. Park is empty during the morning, then gets busy in the afternoon, but the people are all friendly. Especially the local DG club. They have weekly doubles tournaments on Wednesday afternoons around 3. Great way to learn the course!
Cons: Tee pads are needed! winds can be REALLY strong, so if your not used to wind it could be a long day...
Other Thoughts: The Facebook site helped out a lot, and they have a website for a local club. MDGA, just ignore all the dairy goat sites and contact the club to ask about meeting a local to be a guild... They get a kick out of it and seem to appreciate people's thoughts on how to be better.

Bring your heavy discs!

2-4    1/26/2015   2/2/2015
Review By: Dickie B
Pros: Challenging hole layout. Hole 3, short, was a "through the eye of the needle" drive from the tee. The basked was under a big tree, so the shot not only had to be accurate out of the hand, it had to be a laser to reach the basket off the tee.
The next hole of interest was #11, across a gorge to the top of a hill on anhyzer approach. Really cool.The course didn't have any trash cans, but on the other hand, I saw no trash at all on the entire course.
Cons: Wind. Since I was on vacation I only brought 4 discs and really needed by 175-180g's. My 165's were too light to handle the wind. And tall grass and bugs! I even got a thorn through the bottom of my Merrels that stopped me in my tracks.
The baskets were in good shape except that almost all the chains on every basket were rusted . . . which prevented hearing the beautiful chimes when you catch them.
Really need tee pads and tee markers and next hole signes. I had a devil of a time finding my way around even with the UDisc app and the map here. Really long walk from 4 to 5. No tee pad or marker whatsoever for 16, 17, and 18. I finally used my GPS to get me where the tee pad "should" have been and threw from there.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time all in all. There wasn't anybody on the course the 2 hours I was there. It took so long to play because I was "GoPro-ing" every hole for posterity sake. This was the only course I found on the island. Forget Oahu. I tried to get onto Bellows AFB, and that was a total loss. I finally played the beach park right outside the base. No one was there, so we made our own course using trash cans. Still had a great time.
So, if you go to Oahu, this course is definitely worth visiting. Especially if you are an uber-disc golf junkie like me and there's nowhere else to throw!

Nice course

1    8/1/2014   8/1/2014
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros: -Baskets are all in decent condition.
-Good variety of holes requiring different throws
-Nice views of the mountains nearby
-Course/park was almost completely empty (weekday late morning)
Cons: -Difficult to navigate even with a map.
-Teepads are mostly nonexistent except for a few holes.
-Some holes a little too close to other park users: I.e. swimming pool, playground and soccer fields
-Not a fan of the holes in the dry drainage ditch 7,8,16, and 17, only because it looks like they don't mow that area very often if at all
Other Thoughts: Very nice course on the island of Maui, just bring a decent map because they layout can be confusing. Most of the confusion could be solved with more defined tee pads/markers. Overall I enjoyed my round at this course and would play it again.

Solid, Fun Course

1    3/26/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: little oz
Pros: -Good use of existing terrain, resulting in a fun variety of shots.
-Well thought out basket positions
-Good use of existing elevation changes. It has some really fun downhill tunnel throws
-Park setting has amenities for other members of your family.
-People using the park actually seemed aware if you were trying to throw and acted accordingly.
Cons: With a map, you can figure out the course but it isn't easy.
Tee pads and signs would bump this course up at least .5

Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised when I played this course alone on a weekday. While some of the physical things still need work (pads/signs), you can tell that the course was designed by players for players and has great potential to improve. The shared baskets on a couple of holes don't seem to be problematic. Well done and thank you for a solid course on Maui!

Good Thing for Locals!!

1    3/12/2014   3/12/2014
Review By: Frank M
Pros: Great use of land
Well Designed
Scenic
Good changes of elevation
Cons: Confusing if not with a local
Other Thoughts: I am very lucky that I ran into a group of three very nice guys who live in the area and played with them. The one guy is one of the designers of the course so he took me through it. Lots of interesting shots. In some instance we threw at the same basket more then once but from a different approach.

I had a great time, but if I would have not run into these guys there is no way in the world I would have figured out the layout becuase there was very little signage.

That being said, I know they are working hard on this course and are still tweaking it and pouring new cement pads, so I think it will be even better next time I go back.

Conveniently located

2-4    11/24/2013   11/26/2013
Review By: Discwog
Pros: Good use of land.
Good baskets.
Convenient location.
Fairly easy to navigate with a map.
Cons: Tee areas need to be marked better.
Signage would be very helpful.
Other Thoughts: There are some really fun shots here! Locals seem friendly. Hole 1 can punish you if you end up below the basket.

Personal highlight was finishing with a birdie! Keep up the great work.

1    4/29/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: gt700
Pros: Course starts in open field. Tee #1 is near yellow gate and plays to basket surrounded by pine trees. Tee #2 is down hill and basket is a dog leg left. Baskets # 3 & 4 are both out in open. No real tee boxes on any of first four baskets.
Hole # 5 is across parking lot,(follow pathway) thru another yellow gate, in between buildings and by a kids play area. Paint on ground marks Tee box 5. Most of the rest of tee boxes are marked with carpet pads. On hole # 12, you throw across a ditch. There are stairs, if you are looking at basket, on your left to get across.
Holes # 13 & 14 both use same basket. #14 tee box is near tennis courts. Tee box #15 is thru gulley. Little walk to get to it. Also you will want a spotter if grass is still long. Hole # 18 throws to hole # 5 basket, ( towards pool house building)
Cons: Difficult to navigate. I asked a park employee where hole # 1 starts and they said " just start anywhere."
I found a couple of locals playing and they helped alot!
Hopefully a course map is made or maps put on-line.
Other Thoughts: This is a permenant course near Maui's airport and shopping is also nearby.
Lots of wind and lots of potential!

First permanent 18 hole course in a public park

5+    3/16/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: 967DG Maui
Pros: Right in the Heart of Maui. Shops nearby, nice variety of shots, and slight elevation changes. Tough course when the wind is roaring! which it usually is!! Fun Course!!
Cons: still a fresh course, so alot of room for improvement. also 2pm-sunset it can get really crowded with pedestrians and other park users.
Other Thoughts: as time goes by, this course only can get better..

Lost in the Park

1    2/25/2013   3/3/2013
Review By: what'shisname
Pros: Makes great use of the land available with elevation, trees and OB all coming into play.
Disc golf in Maui!
Cons: Little to no tee markings makes it hard to navigate. I used a map I found on the club's facebook page, but it seems to me the layout's a lot different after hole 10 than the map shows.
Other Thoughts: Course is in its early days by looking through the facebook page and it sounds like the locals are putting in a lot of work on improvements. I played it on a weekday morning and was nearly the only one in the park but I can imagine that it gets busy after school. Nice option for golfing if you don't have time to make it up the mountain.

first permanent public course on maui

2-4    3/2/2013   3/2/2013
Review By: Spectralmonkey
Pros: some nice elevation and other challenges
a valiant effort has been made by the locals to keep the course safe, challenging and fun.
a good variety of shots required in the middle section...
a fun course if you want to play some disc without the mission of poli poli ;)
Cons: wind makes what might be an otherwise easy course very difficult.
plays in and around soccer fields, and pedestrian walkways... can be dangerous if your disc gets blown around or you dont have a spotter or have a bad shot.... could be disasterous
no tee pads... some tee off areas are not apparent whatsoever.
cris-crossing and shared baskets add to the confusion.
navigation might have been impossible without the help of some locals.
Other Thoughts: we played doubles on wednesday afternoon and that was a nice way to learn the course. however after school lets out all the fields and walkways fill up with people. best to go in the morning.

it is a work in progress... baskets have been moved, and navigation re-routed a number of times and all the work was done by volunteers.
if you can imagine the work that has gone into the course it makes it worth a play just to honor all the efforts put forth. aloha!