Mount Holly, NC
River Street Park Share
Uploaded By: Kepdog2 Hole #5 (Taken 10/2013)

Perfect for what it was designed for...

1    9/29/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: Kepdog2
Pros: Great course to practice form, approach and throw multiple discs without fear of losing them.
Cons: It's a little too straight.
Other Thoughts: This course is perfect for what it's meant for...beginners and intermediate players working on short game. This is also a great course to introduce disc golf to a friend without scaring them away or spending all day in the woods tracking discs down. This is a perfect course for kids and I personally enjoyed it because I could throw multiple discs, try new techniques without fear of losing discs.

River ahead

1    7/31/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: Leroyjenkins8083
Pros: good warm up course for people with a long day of disc golf ahead.
Cons: river makes holes five and nine very complicated since the river is not even five feet from each hole.
don the side of hole three is an electrified fence that makes it hard to get lost discs back.
Other Thoughts: it was a nice park kind of hard to find unless you are actually looking for it.kind of on the back roads of belmont tees and markings could use some work kind of hard to find hole fours tee.

Surprisingly fun pitch and putt

1    6/19/2013   6/22/2013
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: The course is pretty much maxing out what land is available, so that in mind I think the designers did a fair job. Mostly open, city park style golf with some old growth trees here and there. A couple of basket locations will punish bad blow-bys with a dip in the river and there is surprisingly some decent elevation too. It's a small park, so it's hard to get too lost if your navigation skills fail you but I thought the course flowed fairly intuitively. Would be a really fun lid course.
Cons: Definitely suffers a lot from too much straightness (somewhere, George Takei stares into space and nods). Not a hole here that can't be reached with a putter if you're decent.

Natural tees that can be tricky to find. There are wooden door stop looking things that sit on the ground to indicate the tee but one of them was missing, 5 or 6 I think. The tee is just behind those two trees right beside the volleyball court, look for the bare patch of ground.

My biggest con was the tee for hole 7. It's actually the best tee but it's because it's spray painted on the park road. That grinds my gears. It's also easily the least fun hole b/c it throws up the hill. Whatever.
Other Thoughts: It's worthwhile to stop and get some approach and putter driving practice in. The designers did a really good job of keeping the DG safely away from other park areas and that was no small task I'm sure given the space limitations. It would be better if the holes required more than just straight lines for the most part, maybe spice up the wide open field holes with a raised basket or something.

Hole 8 rocks, a fun, downhill shot through a gap of old growth trees. Those are the kinds of holes that get people hooked on disc golf.

Bout time there's a nine holer actually INTERESTING.

5+    4/2/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 8/19/2013
Pros: -Very nice, scenic park in Mount Holly with a nine holer with actual VARIETY. It will be 18 holes soon so that's why I rated it a 3. So By the time it's 18, it will have a higher rating, unless the back nine is abysmal which I'm sure it won't be.
-Very nice green benches around #7. They are in great shape.
-Really nice use of elevation on almost every hole. #7 was steep uphill, maybe (+25) but only was maybe 170' feet. #8 was nicely downhill. Not quite a "Top of the world" shot because it's slightly wooded and not severly straight downhill but definitely a fun downhill shot and way more downhill than slightly. Also, #6 can mess up your score since it's on an eight foot hill. I caught two rollers, which sucked.
-Great use of the river on two holes. They are not around the fishing decks which is an advantage to fishers like my dad.
-Beginner friendly. I'm an intermediate but ya know. It's definitely easy, no holes over 300', #1 is the longest about 280' but slightly downhill. Only difficult holes would be #6 because of its green and #7 is just way uphill on an island green but I don't think it's going to be OB if you miss it. Still, it's pretty easy. It's not like Fewell or should I say "Weenie hut Jrs."
-Arrows on the baskets pointing you to the next tee.
-I loved that it's different than the other three courses in Gaston county. It's not heavily wooded but trees do play as a factor. It's just a fair nine holer that is still a course I'd gladly come back to. Crookston, Fewell and Lowell Elementry are the other nine holers that I've played and would consider undesireable and I won't bother coming back to. This is something else, in a good way.
-A few minutes from the best course in Charlotte and that is RL Smith. It's also pretty close to Goat Island! That's definitely a good three course day.
-Great chance for an ace. Particularly on #9. It was a good risky shot. It's really short (140' I think), so overthrowing will easily get you in the water. Water is like thirty feet pass the basket. Donate a dollar into the ace pool, if you make an ace, ya get 300$ at doubles, ya get the whole ace pool which is usually over 300$. Doubles in G town is great, just go to Gtown dgc and look at the calendar and your first time is free!
Cons: -Well, the bathrooms beside #1 were for some reason closed. No idea why but it seemed pretty dumb.
-#5's tee marker was stolen. #5's tee is behind the two trees and in front of the volleyball net. I won't complain about teesigns not being up because this course is very new.
#7 and #8 are both great holes, but, the limbs hanging down really need to go, particularly on #8. #8 was my favorite but when my friend Drew and I emptied our bags on #8. We really got annoyed by the limbs hanging down.
-Transition from #3 to #4 is a bit of a walk. If long tees come, I would find it fun if the long for #4 was to the left of the basketball court. It would be a sweet slightly downhill 350+ footer. The transition would be shorter.
Other Thoughts: I love this nine holer. It's just great. I have no idea how it's going to be eighteen but Chuck (R-Intermediate) said it will be. I didn't see how Goat Island could be eighteen, but it is and Goat Island is indeed a good course and it's not crammed in. I will gladly say that the Gaston County disc golf club definitely used the space very well. It's going to involve a LOT of deforestation when they are working on the back 9 because it's going to be in the woods like Rankin Lake.
-#3 is probably going have a mando pointing you left. #3 is beside #7. I don't know but I can see it happening.
-So, ya, this is beginner friendly. Goat Island, Bradley and Rankin are not. If you live within twenty minutes from here and want to give disc golf a try. This is where you start. #1 and #2 are long for beginners but #3 through #9 are under 260' with #8 being right around there. For you players with long range throwing skills, #5 and #9 are under 200', throw your putters. This isn't a course to bomb your drive, it's a test of your putting. Have fun.
-I gave this a 3 because I previously said this will be an eighteen holer. Sounds absurd, but, the Gaston dg club can put an eighteen holer in a small park. They did at Goat Island. It's going to be good. My rating shows that this course is going to be higher than a 3 because I already gave it that for the nine holes. I really liked it.
-Signature hole, not sure, every hole is aesthetically pleasing. There really isn't a signature hole here but for me, I'd say #8 because it's pretty much the best hole to empty your bag. I think it will be by the time the limbs will be cut down. It's not major downhill but it's got a pretty good view up on the hill.
-Go to doubles, seriously. Chech the Gaston disc golf website and when doubles is here, you got a good chance for an ace and you get the ace pool if you ace one!
-Send me a message if you want to know more. I love to be extra specific. Just don't ask me about the back nine because I only know it's going to be in the woods. I have no idea how it will fit but I'm sure you thought the same about Goat Island. If you plan to review this before it's 18 holes, give it a high rating for a nine holer.

Take me to the River...for some disc golf

2-4    3/15/2013   3/15/2013
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 7/25/2013
Pros: River Street Park was a pleasant surprise. It's a fun nine-hole course that could put more emphasis on the 'river' aspect of the park with just a little work.
- Course was better than expected. I was picturing a pitch-n-putt level course, but was impressed by the relatively good layout. It's not overly challenging, but the course does require some good shot making in order to see your birdies.
- Great variety of hole layouts, especially for a limited space, nine-hole course. The best thing going for this course might actually be the elevation, which really comes into play on four of the nine holes - #3 (don't sail left or long), #6 & 7 (uphill) and #8 (downhill). A couple other holes have slight elevation, are doglegs and/or open shots. Oh yeah, and the water really comes into play on #5 & 9. Water is less than 40 feet past the basket on #5 and less than 25 feet past the basket on #9. This hole (#9) is a dogleg right, very slightly downhill, so if you're not careful, your disc could sail, or roll. And with the water pretty murky, you're probably not going to find it.
- Some very strategically placed tee and/or baskets add to the challenge. You see this best on #7 & 8. #7 is a short, uphill hole that has a couple low branches overhead. #8 has some branches and trees that come into play on this downhill shot. A good shot still leads to a birdie putt; but, if you're not careful, you suddenly have to work to get your 3.
- Good risk/reward factor for such a beginner-level course. You see this on the two water holes (#5 & 9), along with #3 & 7. Good players are going to see a lot of birdie chances here, which is why you might also be frustrated when you have to scramble to save par on a couple holes, or fish for a disc.
- Great view of the water. It's a tributary creek that runs into the Catawba River. Standing at #9's basket, you're only one big throw from having your disc land in the Catawba. It would be nice to see a little more of the course taking advantage of this view by playing closer to the water.
- Very basic amenities at the park - restrooms, picnic shelters, basketball court, playground. The most popular feature at the park, however, seems to be the two fishing piers. There was a group of guys fishing while I was playing, and I got the sense they were regulars here.
- The next hole arrows on each basket were a big help. Without a map, or tee signs/pads, the arrows were the key to making the course easy to navigate.
Cons: These are all relatively small things. For the most part, this course is pretty close to being as good as it could be, given the land.
- The flow and layout of the course is a little weird, on two fronts. The first part is the sequence you follow. It took me a minute or two to find the first tee. (It's near the bathrooms and abandoned ball field.) After you finish the third hole, the next basket you see is for #7. The next arrow sign is pointing towards the water, and it's a long walk to #4's tee (FYI - the tee is down the path, just before the pier.)
- The second part of the layout is that the first hole (and to a small degree, #2 as well) doesn't fit into the flow of the rest of the course. You basically throw down an open field on #1, and straight back on #2. It seems to be a matter of space and/or logistics (if you throw down an open field for one hole, you will need to come back up on the next hole, or have a really long walk). Instead of having this layout, and the two simplest holes on the course, it'd be great to replace one of these holes (say #1), and take advantage of the hill where #3's basket is located. I say a tee shot over the park road with a basket near #4's tee would eliminate that long walk.
- The other problems are all typical new course and/or nine-holer problems. There aren't any tee signs, just wooden hole markers and flags. Without tee signs, there are also no distances listed, which isn't a huge problem on most holes. It's an annoyance on seven of nine holes, but it can result in a lost disc in the water when you estimate the distance wrong on #5 & 9. Also, there are no tee pads, but the tee areas are all pretty flat and/or short, so that isn't much of a problem.
- Seeing how this seems to be a beginner-friendly course, having two potential 'lost disc' holes, seems like it could turn off new players. If you're just starting out, you don't want to lose one of your only discs because it sailed 30 feet too long or rolled into the water.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I thought River Street was a solid course. The course puts premium on accuracy rather than distance. Other than the first hole, everything else is mid-range length or shorter.
- The first two holes did seem to have that 'filler' feel to them, but starting at #3, the remaining seven holes all were solid. I guess I'd just rather be throwing near the river than in a field.
- I don't know why, but this course seemed like the long, lost cousin of Gower and Holmes parks, the two nine-holers in Greenville. Something about the layout, variety and elevation felt like it belonged with both of those.
- My favorite hole was #3. It's a relatively straight, slightly uphill and slightly wooded shot. The hole slopes to the left and long, so errant shots will be penalized. I had an easy birdie the first time I played, and a more challenging uphill shot the second go-round after my tee shot went a little too far left.
- I'm optimistic that there's room for growth here. Without tee pads or signs, I'd like to think changes could be made if so desired. If nothing else, this could make a fun safari golf layout.
- This is one of the better nine-holers in the Charlotte area. It's not to the level of Mint Hill, but it's still worth a play. And, you're only 10 minutes from Robert L. Smith when you finish up.