Pasadena, CA
Oak Grove (Hahamongna Park) Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #19 (Taken 9/2010)
3 / 235ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #19 Approach (B Position)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Historic Old Course Looks Worn!

1    6/18/2014   7/5/2014
Pros: I could just copy the previous reviewers (Forehandfranz) review. It was that spot on!

This historic old course has a sign at the beginning which reads, "Oak Grove-Worlds First Frisbee Golf Course." Remember way back in the 70's, this sport was known as Frisbee Golf.

The course plays through several different areas of the park. I think the original 18 started where the frisbee sign stands. This part of the park features many oak trees and is mostly flat. The current front nine starts across the street and plays around a large green grass area. This part features a little more rugged terrain as well as a couple more challenging holes. And part of the course plays in the back of the park in a much more rugged undeveloped area. Navigation was confusing from the start. I think I played the back nine followed by the front nine and more than once threw to the wrong basket or spent time back tracking about trying to find my way.

Everything about this course is kinda old and tired. The signs, the tee pads and the baskets all have that vibe that they've survived since the 70's and much of it has. The pads are mostly concrete and most are a hexagon shape. Some have the hole # engraved in the concrete but it's not often the correct hole due to course reconfiguration.

The course is recreational in length and difficulty, very common for a 70's vintage course.
Cons: I only encountered one local and he sure as hell wasn't very helpful when I asked for some help with finding my way. It was like I was asking him to donate a kidney to me.
Everything about this course is showing it's age.
Navigation, even with my on-line map, was most confusing.
There was a giant gathering of campers there on the day I played making a couple of holes unplayable. Not really a con, just a fact.
Lacks the challenge and creativity that many of today's top courses share.
Other Thoughts: I would love to see this course designated as some kind of a historical landmark and thereby be protected and be entitled to better upkeep and preservation by the county or local disc club. Better signage would be a nice step in that direction. A previous reviewer suggested stenciling the hole # on the pads and putting a number on the baskets. Both would be tremendous helps.
It was fun getting to finally play this historic course. I vividly remember my boss bringing a recreation journal into our Parks & Recreation office sometime around 1977 which had an article on the world's first frisbee course. We were so inspired that we soon starting designing/building our own little frisbee golf course which was the first permanent course in the Northwest. It still stands today although it's pretty much a joke by today's standards.

Back to Oak Park, Play it by all means. It's history! But don't expect to be wowed.

Thank you Steady Ed!

1    3/27/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Being the first installed course in history, I expected old baskets and really short holes. This wasn't the case. Most of the holes are medium length (300' range I'm guessing) with lots of chances to shape your shots through the prevalent oak trees. The course is fairly flat, though there are some minor changes in elevation and many pins are placed on these slopes to add putting challenges. There are multiple pin placements per hole. The holes are interesting and fairly creative (I wonder if they all are Steady Ed's design, or if they have changed over the years). The trees can punish a poor drive, forcing some very skilled approaches.

The park is in a scenic, quiet area, with the northern mountains looming in the background.

The locals were kind - a large group offered to let me play through, and later a friendly twosome let me join them to complete my round.

Cons: Navigation, as many have mentioned is tricky the first time. Please download a map from this site BEFORE you get to the park (I couldn't get good internet reception inside the park, as it's in a recessed bowl). They did have a crude map on the phone pole at hole #1 which helped, but I had to ask someone which hole #1 was!

Very few of the tees and baskets were numbered, so bring a map!

There were a couple tees that had numbers carved in them but they were the wrong numbers, alas. This would be a fantastic idea if they could follow through on this project, as the numbers can't get destroyed by vandals!
Other Thoughts: This probably can't be helped (due to a nasty ongoing drought), but everything is very scrubby and dry and plant life seems to be suffering. The area that goes out over the "water" is now dry and stinky, blecch! Some areas just looked kinda "sad", but that does not reflect my rating.

The baskets (Innova) were adequate but looked worn and tired and many were graffiti'd. I guess it just kinda compounded the "abused" look of some of the landscape. It sure would help if they were to paint the yellow band and add some numbers to them. It would just be nice to give this historic course that little extra bit of respect it deserves.

Overall, I would return here to play again. Don't expect anything mind-blowing as the course lacks holes (in my modest opinion) that have any "wow factor", but is a fun play, nonetheless.

5+    11/25/2013   11/25/2013
Review By: Jlapsys
Pros: -Lots of holes with a variety of obstacles/distances
-Tees made of concrete
-Holes change position often
-Lots of parking
-It's free!
Cons: -Very busy on the weekend
-Course tends to eat discs
-Can be dusty during the summer
-Can be muddy or flooded in the winter

Home!

5+    8/30/2009   8/30/2013
Review By: OG Neal
This review was updated on 9/9/2013
Pros: -Every type of shot is represented in this course: long, short, elevation up/down, rights/lefts, mandys, corridors, over the lake shot, everything!
-First permanent course.
-Lots of old timers to learn from
-Once you learn the course you can play holes any way you want to, making it convenient to work on all aspects of your game. Note: try playing the back 9 backwards. Super-fun.
Cons: -Rich kids who take a casual game way too seriously. Save it for the tourneys, dudes.
-Garbage
-Drugs
-Noise
-Wild Bill unless he's been removed. He can also be fun depending on mood/chemical intake.
Other Thoughts: Stay away on weekends unless you get there early. It turns into a douche-fest around noon.

Shoot over a dry lake!

5+    6/23/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: rickztahone
Pros: -A very large course
-Free admission
-Lots of parking
-diverse hole locations
-pins get moved from time to time
-distance shots
Cons: -no Tee signs so you have to bring a map. You can easily go to the wrong hole
-The first few holes you might encounter locals playing in a soccer field so you must watch your throw.
-No water fountains close by. Bring your own water.
Other Thoughts: I frequent this course in all honestly because of the lake shot. It is by far one of my favorite shots. You are basically shooting over a dry lake and if you fail to get it across you will be looking for your disc for a really, really long time in the brush. The back end does not have much tree cover so you are pretty exposed so bring a lot of sun block.
There are a lot of environmental hazards here and one can easily lose a disc in any one of the many bushes, trees, or leaf pile up, so keep an eye on your shot at all times. There is one specific hole in which you are shooting blind. If I'd have to guess I'd say around basket #6-#8. We usually have someone stand mid way through the fairway and spot where the loose discs may land.
Till this day, after playing many times at this course I can't come up with a conclusion on how many baskets there actually are. I know for sure there are more than 18 though.

Quintessential SoCal Course

5+    6/16/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: F. Howl
Pros: - natural Californian terrain of dense scrub oaks and other chaparral
- plenty of tight wooded holes requiring accuracy
- frequent pin rotation
- tucked away in an arroyo, with nearly no pedestrian traffic
Cons: - can get crazy crowded
-could use a few long holes
- bring a disc towel. Gets dusty.
- this course eats discs. Oak trees have a knack for holding on to em, and thick brush along several fairways.
- hate to say it cause it's my home course, but I agree with a few other reviewers here, that this course has a lot of a-holes. My most notable instance of douchery was someone trying to fight me cause he spilled his 40.
Other Thoughts: Print a map and cross your fingers that the place is empty.

Historic course with super friendly locals

1    6/10/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: SuperRocky
Pros: Lots of creative looks at a wide variety of shots.

I enjoyed seeing the location of old pin positions and hearing some of the course history from knowledgable locals.

The course has very good flow if you start in the right place. See cons
Cons: A couple of holes play practically blind.

In a couple of spots, the flow seems very odd.

Print out a map.
Other Thoughts: Loved it!

I like it a lot.

2-4    5/26/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: LiLHomeGirl
This review was updated on 6/11/2013
Pros: - Amazing views. Lots of trees.
- mixed distance and technical holes
- alternative holes in the back
- feels safe for solo ladies*
- water fountains

Cons: - tees are a tad confusing the first time
- you may run into divas
- portal potties
Other Thoughts: I will play here again.

I took the 5 to the 210 to Berkshire...

1    6/1/2013   6/4/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: After a day in the sun, it was nice to play a round in the shade. The course is on the west side of a valley with a lot of trees. Apparently this was the first permanent disc golf course. I was surprised at the technical design. I would have guessed that the first course would be kind of boring, but not so.

There are plenty of holes that force a certain kind of shot. The holes are short, but birdies are not gimmes. It looked like there were multiple pin positions on most holes.

The hexagonal tee pads are great. Plenty of room to throw any kind of shot you want. If you want to try out that 360-degree approach, go for it (you might overthrow the hole, though).

The course is named Hahamongna. I love the sound of that, especially if I imagine Fred Armisen saying it as part of The Californians.
Cons: Navigation was not simple, even with a map. There are plenty of holes not visible from the tee, even with the short distances. I never did find the basket for one of the holes (14 or 15, I think). Several of the holes require walking back up part of the fairway to get to the next hole.

There was only one tee sign (very old), which makes me think there used to be more.
I could see this being a course that is enjoyable to return to once you know the layout. There aren't many holes here that have anything you haven't seen before, but for a piece of history in the shade, it's worth a visit.

1    10/11/2012   5/12/2013
Review By: donny vomit
Pros: History history history, the park is set amongst really cool old oak trees. Lots of different alternate holes and we played them all. Its like a little oasis in the middle of chaos.
Cons: Signage, they have a map at the ball diamond back stop but it really wasn't helpful at all. I used my iPhone to bring up a better map from the net. Hardly any grass but its its what it is.
Other Thoughts: Was in Cali in Oct so we had to make the pilgramage to oak grove .glad we did. Had fun time, not crowded, pretty backdrop of the mountains as we played some really cool shots. Overall glad we played here where it all began. I would recommend hooking up with a local as all the alternate holes that you really have to play can be hard to find as signage kinda sucks. Its a must play in the la area

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5