Pasadena, CA
Oak Grove (Hahamongna Park) Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #10 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #10 Approach (B Position)

I took the 5 to the 210 to Berkshire...

1    6/1/2013   6/4/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: After a day in the sun, it was nice to play a round in the shade. The course is on the west side of a valley with a lot of trees. Apparently this was the first permanent disc golf course. I was surprised at the technical design. I would have guessed that the first course would be kind of boring, but not so.

There are plenty of holes that force a certain kind of shot. The holes are short, but birdies are not gimmes. It looked like there were multiple pin positions on most holes.

The hexagonal tee pads are great. Plenty of room to throw any kind of shot you want. If you want to try out that 360-degree approach, go for it (you might overthrow the hole, though).

The course is named Hahamongna. I love the sound of that, especially if I imagine Fred Armisen saying it as part of The Californians.
Cons: Navigation was not simple, even with a map. There are plenty of holes not visible from the tee, even with the short distances. I never did find the basket for one of the holes (14 or 15, I think). Several of the holes require walking back up part of the fairway to get to the next hole.

There was only one tee sign (very old), which makes me think there used to be more.
I could see this being a course that is enjoyable to return to once you know the layout. There aren't many holes here that have anything you haven't seen before, but for a piece of history in the shade, it's worth a visit.

First course, first country club?

1    2/7/2009   2/9/2009
Review By: JHern
Pros: The main positives about the course are the past history and the nice views of the mountains to the north. There are some nice local players we ran into (but these were the exception...see below).

The holes play under a lot of Oak trees, and accuracy is at a premium. You'll find that a big arm does you little good here. Some of the holes are old enough that trees planted around baskets have grown around them, which adds to the challenge.

Cons: Oak Grove was the first permanent disc golf course. It is also the first disc golf course I played that felt like an exclusive country club, with alpha male complex locals who are intolerant of visitors, have foul tempers, throw discs at you in anger, etc.. I'm sure the people who established this course would be disappointed if they were to see some of the behavior I witnessed.

If you go there to visit, don't expect that you'll be able to play a round. And there is no way for you to find out in advance whether or not you will be able to play a round. Just luck, I guess.

I made a special effort to plan a work trip to LA around playing at OG. I dutifully checked any websites, googled, etc., to find out if there was anything happening that would be a hassle during that time frame, and it seemed free and clear according the the official OG website, etc.. When I got there, we found some younger local players who showed us around the course, told us stories some of the old veterans passed down to them, etc.. We were having a fun round, and I had a positive vibe going.

But then some very agitated and rude players began cutting in, telling us to "get the f*** of our course," and things like that. We were surprised and confused. Some of them were throwing discs at us. The locals who were guiding us were also confused, and they had been playing there for 4 years.

Only after playing almost the entire course did a guy come over and say there was an amateur tournament going on, and that we might have more luck at Sylmar (a good suggestion, Sylmar was great). Still, nobody else stepped up to denounce this foul behavior, which is really disappointing.
Other Thoughts: It was the second time I checked every website I knew about prior to playing a course to be sure it wasn't going to be crowded for an event, or closed for maintenance, and I arrived to find something going on that made playing nearly impossible. The last time was when I found a bluegrass festival going on at the Golden Gate park course after checking the local website the weeks and days before I visited (this site seemed up to date with info, but said nothing about thhe blue grass festival). Maybe dgcoursereview.com could become a central clearinghouse for posting this kind of information in the future. It still depends on the willingness of local club members and such to post information on such things to the web, as a courtesy to visitors so that they know better and can plan their trips. There is nothing more disappointing than traveling thousands of miles to play a course and find it closed even after you've done your homework.

1    10/10/2007   2/4/2009
Review By: BENFTS
This review was updated on 4/10/2014
Pros: Holes 1-8 start out easy to follow with short walks but the next few holes get a bit harder to find. There is some elevation change throughout the course although it's not very significant. There are several very well protected basket locations that make the hole play longer and harder than the tee sign would indicate. Tee pads were quite ample allowing for different lines off the tee, on site bathrooms, water fountain, and lots of parking. the first disc golf course.
Cons: Lots of people, difficult navigation for first timers, crossing fairways, & very easy to loose a disc in some locations of the course.
Other Thoughts: New notes on 4/12