Pasadena, CA
Oak Grove (Hahamongna Park) Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #14 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #14 Basket to Tee (D Position)

5+    11/25/2013   11/25/2013
Review By: Jlapsys
Pros: -Lots of holes with a variety of obstacles/distances
-Tees made of concrete
-Holes change position often
-Lots of parking
-It's free!
Cons: -Very busy on the weekend
-Course tends to eat discs
-Can be dusty during the summer
-Can be muddy or flooded in the winter

Shoot over a dry lake!

5+    6/23/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: rickztahone
Pros: -A very large course
-Free admission
-Lots of parking
-diverse hole locations
-pins get moved from time to time
-distance shots
Cons: -no Tee signs so you have to bring a map. You can easily go to the wrong hole
-The first few holes you might encounter locals playing in a soccer field so you must watch your throw.
-No water fountains close by. Bring your own water.
Other Thoughts: I frequent this course in all honestly because of the lake shot. It is by far one of my favorite shots. You are basically shooting over a dry lake and if you fail to get it across you will be looking for your disc for a really, really long time in the brush. The back end does not have much tree cover so you are pretty exposed so bring a lot of sun block.
There are a lot of environmental hazards here and one can easily lose a disc in any one of the many bushes, trees, or leaf pile up, so keep an eye on your shot at all times. There is one specific hole in which you are shooting blind. If I'd have to guess I'd say around basket #6-#8. We usually have someone stand mid way through the fairway and spot where the loose discs may land.
Till this day, after playing many times at this course I can't come up with a conclusion on how many baskets there actually are. I know for sure there are more than 18 though.

Historic course with super friendly locals

1    6/10/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: SuperRocky
Pros: Lots of creative looks at a wide variety of shots.

I enjoyed seeing the location of old pin positions and hearing some of the course history from knowledgable locals.

The course has very good flow if you start in the right place. See cons
Cons: A couple of holes play practically blind.

In a couple of spots, the flow seems very odd.

Print out a map.
Other Thoughts: Loved it!

I like it a lot.

2-4    5/26/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: LiLHomeGirl
This review was updated on 6/11/2013
Pros: - Amazing views. Lots of trees.
- mixed distance and technical holes
- alternative holes in the back
- feels safe for solo ladies*
- water fountains

Cons: - tees are a tad confusing the first time
- you may run into divas
- portal potties
Other Thoughts: I will play here again.

This is the most current review in months, and you are going to say it's not helpful? Whatever.

1    12/1/2012   12/2/2012
Review By: Mabuku1
Pros: -great elevation changes
-wide array of hole lengths
-holes are evenly spread out for left handers and right handers.
Wooded area has a great vibe due to dry creeks throughout many holes. During winter thaw they might be filled with water, I dunno.
-Bathrooms are spread throughout the course. There's real ones at the bonus "spider" hole, porta-pottys at the basket for 6, and a real bathroom at hole 17.
-i was able to find a course layout on the interweb, which would help if you are going for the first time.
Cons: -no pro shop, I wouldn't expect there to be one in this park though. You'll know when you see it.
-a few tee pads are in need of replacing, but still playable.
Other Thoughts: If you can join some locals to show you around the layout and possibly play the extra holes, I recommend it. otherwise you might get lost.
This course was perfect for ace runs on about 3/4 of the holes if you can throw 300'. Guestamation.

I loved playing this course, and when I get more rounds on it it will be awesome. I birdied a handfull, and also got fives on a handfull because there are a ton of trees, and some hillsides here. It's like playing in the woods at a campground because there is actually a camp there, looks like a summer camp for kids. I dunno?
Definitely come play here if you are in southern CA.

Nice layout

2-4    10/3/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: A wide variety of shots some downhill, around trees and various obstacles.
Free to play.
Easy to naviagate.

Not rough on the feet, no thorns, cactus, or stickers.
Hexagonal and rubber teepads worked quite well.
Cons: Dusty and Hot in the Summer
Very very tough to navigate if you've never played
Easy to lose a disc in nome nasty nasty brush
No shop or stand to get refreshments
Other Thoughts: Nice Technical Course

1    7/1/2012   7/3/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -First permanent disc golf course. How do you not throw here if you're in the LA area?
-Pretty technical and challenging at times, especially given it's age. Oak Grove is by no means an "every disc in your bag" type course, but you'll have to work for your deuces and/or pars.
-The locals are great. They were very friendly and helpful when I played.
-Nice view of the mountains and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory on the back 9.
-Nice variety of wooded holes, open holes, and even desert-like holes. I felt like I was playing in the midwest, the plains, and the high deserts of Utah all on one course.
Cons: -Nonexistent signage. Really. There are no signs indicating which hole you are on, where you're throwing, or where the next tee is. Your best bet is to wing it or follow (or join) a group playing ahead of you to know where you're going.
-If you're playing during a soccer match, you'll really have to watch it on the front nine. Some fairways butt up against the soccer fields.
-There are horse trails along the course, so there are points when your disc could land in horse manure. You could choose to think of this as a kind of water hazard, but that won't change the fact that you'll have a manure-covered disc if you get unlucky.
Other Thoughts: I've played a few courses made in the early days of disc golf, and they always disappoint after I get past the novelty of history. Not at Oak Grove. It's a fun, challenging, beautiful course, and I'll definitely play it again when I'm in the LA area. While it's not the best or most challenging course, it's definitely worth a round or two.

Great winter break!

2-4    11/22/2011   12/4/2011
Review By: iamharrythehat
Pros: The very first course in the USA!!
Local course pro, Johnny B making non locals feel right at home.
Technical, tight lies.
Warmer than Alaska in November!!
Cons: Not sure if I would have found my way around if I hadn't been playing with Johnny B and some other locals. Not very well marked.
Other Thoughts: I started playing 4 years ago in Alaska and have played 3 different courses up here. It was nice to compare our courses to the lower 48, especially the first course in existence!

Another great visit

5+    5/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: Blackmon
Pros: Another great trip to the original course grounds. I really like visiting this park. Its a nice cruise through the course. Perfect natural landscape for a disc golf course. Short but technical with a lot of different throws required.
Throw one over the pound and don't
Cons: What happend to the Extra bonus holes for those that new how to play them. 4 years ago I played with a local that took me on the extended course. It wasn't there.

Some tees could be longer, I used to longer placements (but hey, it is the original course). Sometimes you are throwing on the group at the next Tee in front of you, causes hold ups. Not much else, I still haven't got my best round in yet. I will be back.
Other Thoughts: Throw it over the Pond! Don't wimp out be an itty bitty. I don't have the longest arm, but I ain't scared. I partnered up with a local and he keep telling me through the round that he didn't want to loose his disc. I told him it's all part of the game and they come and they go. Didn't make it on that round but I tried (went right and down in the brush on the ledge). But the last one, I put 40 ft past the basket. I watched groups after to group pass this hole up and opt for the alternate safe basket on the side. Go for it and show them how its done.

Outthink the crowds,pick your time wisely. I have always find a time when courses are crowded. I played 2 out of 4 rounds, I played right through, the others I didn't have to wait to long and met a few people.

Johnny B, dives for disc in the pond and has them and sells other used disc. Nice meeting Johnny B, good to swap stories and meet new golfers. Thanks

The Original

1    9/18/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: The Meat Truck
Free to play.
Easy to naviagate.
Hole 14 is excellent, one of the best holes ive played.
Not rough on the feet, no thorns, cactus, or stickers.
Hexagonal and rubber teepads worked quite well.
Cons: Not clearly marked, most tee pads have wrong numbers.
No relative distances marked and sometimes you cant see where the hole is, can make first time playing difficult.
No pro shop, snack shop, guide area to find out where to start (thought this shouldnt be that hard.
Other Thoughts: This has been the best course i've played thus far here in southern california, I didnt bring any water which was a huge mistake, by hole 15 I was dying out there, so make sure your well hydrated beforehand as well. If you go play there and its your first time ask the people around where to start everyone was quite friendly. It may be difficult to navigate the back 9 but this is only for the first time you go there, once you know its actually quite simple. ENJOY