Pasadena, CA
Oak Grove (Hahamongna Park) Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #4 (Taken 2/2013)
3 / 272ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #4 Long Approach (D Position)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Thank you Steady Ed!

1    3/27/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Being the first installed course in history, I expected old baskets and really short holes. This wasn't the case. Most of the holes are medium length (300' range I'm guessing) with lots of chances to shape your shots through the prevalent oak trees. The course is fairly flat, though there are some minor changes in elevation and many pins are placed on these slopes to add putting challenges. There are multiple pin placements per hole. The holes are interesting and fairly creative (I wonder if they all are Steady Ed's design, or if they have changed over the years). The trees can punish a poor drive, forcing some very skilled approaches.

The park is in a scenic, quiet area, with the northern mountains looming in the background.

The locals were kind - a large group offered to let me play through, and later a friendly twosome let me join them to complete my round.

Cons: Navigation, as many have mentioned is tricky the first time. Please download a map from this site BEFORE you get to the park (I couldn't get good internet reception inside the park, as it's in a recessed bowl). They did have a crude map on the phone pole at hole #1 which helped, but I had to ask someone which hole #1 was!

Very few of the tees and baskets were numbered, so bring a map!

There were a couple tees that had numbers carved in them but they were the wrong numbers, alas. This would be a fantastic idea if they could follow through on this project, as the numbers can't get destroyed by vandals!
Other Thoughts: This probably can't be helped (due to a nasty ongoing drought), but everything is very scrubby and dry and plant life seems to be suffering. The area that goes out over the "water" is now dry and stinky, blecch! Some areas just looked kinda "sad", but that does not reflect my rating.

The baskets (Innova) were adequate but looked worn and tired and many were graffiti'd. I guess it just kinda compounded the "abused" look of some of the landscape. It sure would help if they were to paint the yellow band and add some numbers to them. It would just be nice to give this historic course that little extra bit of respect it deserves.

Overall, I would return here to play again. Don't expect anything mind-blowing as the course lacks holes (in my modest opinion) that have any "wow factor", but is a fun play, nonetheless.

5+    11/25/2013   11/25/2013
Review By: Jlapsys
Pros: -Lots of holes with a variety of obstacles/distances
-Tees made of concrete
-Holes change position often
-Lots of parking
-It's free!
Cons: -Very busy on the weekend
-Course tends to eat discs
-Can be dusty during the summer
-Can be muddy or flooded in the winter

Home!

5+    8/30/2009   8/30/2013
Review By: OG Neal
This review was updated on 9/9/2013
Pros: -Every type of shot is represented in this course: long, short, elevation up/down, rights/lefts, mandys, corridors, over the lake shot, everything!
-First permanent course.
-Lots of old timers to learn from
-Once you learn the course you can play holes any way you want to, making it convenient to work on all aspects of your game. Note: try playing the back 9 backwards. Super-fun.
Cons: -Rich kids who take a casual game way too seriously. Save it for the tourneys, dudes.
-Garbage
-Drugs
-Noise
-Wild Bill unless he's been removed. He can also be fun depending on mood/chemical intake.
Other Thoughts: Stay away on weekends unless you get there early. It turns into a douche-fest around noon.

Shoot over a dry lake!

5+    6/23/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: rickztahone
Pros: -A very large course
-Free admission
-Lots of parking
-diverse hole locations
-pins get moved from time to time
-distance shots
Cons: -no Tee signs so you have to bring a map. You can easily go to the wrong hole
-The first few holes you might encounter locals playing in a soccer field so you must watch your throw.
-No water fountains close by. Bring your own water.
Other Thoughts: I frequent this course in all honestly because of the lake shot. It is by far one of my favorite shots. You are basically shooting over a dry lake and if you fail to get it across you will be looking for your disc for a really, really long time in the brush. The back end does not have much tree cover so you are pretty exposed so bring a lot of sun block.
There are a lot of environmental hazards here and one can easily lose a disc in any one of the many bushes, trees, or leaf pile up, so keep an eye on your shot at all times. There is one specific hole in which you are shooting blind. If I'd have to guess I'd say around basket #6-#8. We usually have someone stand mid way through the fairway and spot where the loose discs may land.
Till this day, after playing many times at this course I can't come up with a conclusion on how many baskets there actually are. I know for sure there are more than 18 though.

Quintessential SoCal Course

5+    6/16/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: F. Howl
Pros: - natural Californian terrain of dense scrub oaks and other chaparral
- plenty of tight wooded holes requiring accuracy
- frequent pin rotation
- tucked away in an arroyo, with nearly no pedestrian traffic
Cons: - can get crazy crowded
-could use a few long holes
- bring a disc towel. Gets dusty.
- this course eats discs. Oak trees have a knack for holding on to em, and thick brush along several fairways.
- hate to say it cause it's my home course, but I agree with a few other reviewers here, that this course has a lot of a-holes. My most notable instance of douchery was someone trying to fight me cause he spilled his 40.
Other Thoughts: Print a map and cross your fingers that the place is empty.

Historic course with super friendly locals

1    6/10/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: SuperRocky
Pros: Lots of creative looks at a wide variety of shots.

I enjoyed seeing the location of old pin positions and hearing some of the course history from knowledgable locals.

The course has very good flow if you start in the right place. See cons
Cons: A couple of holes play practically blind.

In a couple of spots, the flow seems very odd.

Print out a map.
Other Thoughts: Loved it!

I like it a lot.

2-4    5/26/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: LiLHomeGirl
This review was updated on 6/11/2013
Pros: - Amazing views. Lots of trees.
- mixed distance and technical holes
- alternative holes in the back
- feels safe for solo ladies*
- water fountains

Cons: - tees are a tad confusing the first time
- you may run into divas
- portal potties
Other Thoughts: I will play here again.

I took the 5 to the 210 to Berkshire...

1    6/1/2013   6/4/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: After a day in the sun, it was nice to play a round in the shade. The course is on the west side of a valley with a lot of trees. Apparently this was the first permanent disc golf course. I was surprised at the technical design. I would have guessed that the first course would be kind of boring, but not so.

There are plenty of holes that force a certain kind of shot. The holes are short, but birdies are not gimmes. It looked like there were multiple pin positions on most holes.

The hexagonal tee pads are great. Plenty of room to throw any kind of shot you want. If you want to try out that 360-degree approach, go for it (you might overthrow the hole, though).

The course is named Hahamongna. I love the sound of that, especially if I imagine Fred Armisen saying it as part of The Californians.
Cons: Navigation was not simple, even with a map. There are plenty of holes not visible from the tee, even with the short distances. I never did find the basket for one of the holes (14 or 15, I think). Several of the holes require walking back up part of the fairway to get to the next hole.

There was only one tee sign (very old), which makes me think there used to be more.
I could see this being a course that is enjoyable to return to once you know the layout. There aren't many holes here that have anything you haven't seen before, but for a piece of history in the shade, it's worth a visit.

1    10/11/2012   5/12/2013
Review By: donny vomit
Pros: History history history, the park is set amongst really cool old oak trees. Lots of different alternate holes and we played them all. Its like a little oasis in the middle of chaos.
Cons: Signage, they have a map at the ball diamond back stop but it really wasn't helpful at all. I used my iPhone to bring up a better map from the net. Hardly any grass but its its what it is.
Other Thoughts: Was in Cali in Oct so we had to make the pilgramage to oak grove .glad we did. Had fun time, not crowded, pretty backdrop of the mountains as we played some really cool shots. Overall glad we played here where it all began. I would recommend hooking up with a local as all the alternate holes that you really have to play can be hard to find as signage kinda sucks. Its a must play in the la area

OG...tha OG course

1    12/23/2012   12/23/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 12/26/2012
Pros: -awesome scenery
-awesome locals (Thanks Adam, Mike...Chris, Frank, Cro, Tim, Ren)
-challenging, unique shots
-most tees are concrete hexagonal-shaped
-Highlight holes:
-hole 4: this one is tricky because according to locals, it used to be an open fairway before a storm knocked over one of the oak trees. I felt that the fallen oak tree made the hole that much more challenging and more interesting
-hole 4 (alternate): spider hole, a uniquely placed basket in the middle of a tree trunk with branches surrounding the basket. Must shoot from alternate tee pad (more or less a patch of dirt with a path going uphill)
-hole 5 (regular and alternate): from the normal tee pad a cool shot, but have the locals show you the "alternate" tee pad (which you can walk towards from the spider hole at the top of the hill of hole 4's alternate position). The alternate shot is easily one of the highlights of the entire course if not the best hole
-hole 14: another of the course's highlight holes. Shooting over the drink (or mucky muck...when I went the lake was semi dry and muddy). Also a kind of downhill "top of the world" type of throw, but you can also throw a big hyzer or anhyzer. I was surprised that some locals elect not to throw this hole. If you come here don't pansy out, you have to throw this hole in the name of Oak Grove.
-hole 17: This one has a double mando between two trees, with a third tree in between the two mando trees...a tricky, yet entertaining shot with a beautiful tree and rock lined fairway.
Cons: -lack of signage (no map, no reliable tee numbers, and lots of times no basket numbers either), a really really huge con
-difficult to navigate, especially without a map
-a couple tees were uneven cruddy rubber mats
Other Thoughts: It felt like I was experiencing a piece of history being able to play this course (1st permanent DG course ever in the world!). Super friendly locals was another great thing about Oak Grove. I felt that this place was a great mix of both distance and technical shots, but moreso technical shots. It helps to have both a forehand and backhand here. Must be able to throw straight shots to hit narrow gaps with low lying canopies and the ability to throw downhill on both holes 5 and 14. Midrange is very important here because many times you will hit a tree and need a good upshot. I never felt that a roller was necessary here, but that's not to say it couldn't be useful.
If this place had signs on each hole and better navigation, I'd give this place 3.75 or even a 4. But it gets 3.5 for the navigation issues and lack of hole information. Because the current course is not the original course, the numbers on the teepads do NOT correlate to which hole you are on necessarily, so keep that in mind. Baskets are old, some are missing the inner chains, but they do the job. Baskets sometimes are lacking hole numbers too. A quick fix would be to stencil the hole numbers on both teepads and baskets. Even some of the locals I played with had trouble keeping track of which hole we were on.
Overall a great course to play on, I'm glad that I completed the pilgrimage to the holy land of disc golf and if I'm ever in the area again I would not hesitate to play this course. Thanks again to the friendly locals who made this experience much more enjoyable!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5